Small Changes

What is History?

 

Luhan’s POV

I walked into my Lit class on Wednesday thinking over everything that had happened in the two weeks I’d been here. I’d made several friends, a few enemies, and was doing great in my classes. Things were looking good for me here, even with all the drama going on in my group of friends. I couldn’t imagine things being worse. That is until my professor told us we were doing a project and that he was assigning our partners.

He began listing names and group numbers after explaining the project. “Group 6 will be Kris, Sanghyun, and Jiho.” I suddenly began to dread my situation. Kris was one of the only friends I had in this class, while Sehun was one of the people I didn’t particularly like. I realized that Sehun hadn’t been called yet and knew that I was in his group. This was confirmed as Mr. Lee called out, “Group 7 will be Luhan, Sehun, and Minki. Now I want you to get in your groups, discuss what you are going to do, and began working.”

I looked at Sehun, who apparently thought we should come to him as he had not gotten up from his seat, to see a blonde boy, Minki, going to sit by him. I got up and sat next to the blonde boy.  I sat there awkwardly for a few seconds before he turned toward me, “Hi, I’m Minki, but you can call me Ren. You must be Luhan.” I smiled back and nodded, “Yeah. So, do you have any thoughts on what to do?”

He shook his head as Mr. Lee gave Sehun a paper. “What’s it say?” Ren asked. “It’s just the guidelines for the project. Apparently we have to do the scene between the main character and his love interest,” Sehun informed us. He handed the paper to Ren and went back to lounging, his feet on the desk and his hands behind his head. Ren read it, “We have to divide the parts, but there are only two characters.”  He looked up at me and grinned, “I’ll just handle the filming. You guys can work out who is playing who.” I stared at him for a minute and then turned my gaze on Sehun. He was grinning mischievously, “I’ll play the guy of course. You look too frail to play the part correctly and let’s face it; I’m the better looking one out of us.” I felt the scowl form on my face, “Who says? I agree that you play the part of a jerk better than anyone else, but as for looks, someone has lied to you!” He smirked, “I’m one of the most popular guys on campus so I don’t think anyone has lied to me.”

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever! Let’s just rewrite this scene.” He patted my head like a little child who was just told they had been wrong about something that they had believed in their whole life. I was really starting to hate this guy more and more. He was arrogant and annoying. The more I saw of him, the more I wanted to knock the hell out of him. I’d never met someone who made me dislike them so much, not in my whole life. From the moment I’d met the dude I’d disliked him greatly.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Ren asked me, “How about we change your character a little? Her personality seems to fit you well enough, but we need to make something about her more exciting.” I nodded as Sehun spoke up. “We can make her a he? Have him just parading around as a girl,” he looked at me and cocked his head to the side, “You would make a decent chick.” I glared at him, did he know about my secret. I didn’t think he did. It all was so long ago that even I didn’t remember it all clearly. I shook my head, “No, just make her a he. No pretending to be a girl! You could make your character an idiot who mistakes him as a female?”

Ren just nodded, “I like where that could lead the characters. It could be a great scene, especially Sehun’s character’s reaction at realizing he has fallen in love with a guy and not a girl. Does he accept it or reject the idea? What about Luhan’s character? Does he understand what’s going on? Does he return the feelings?” I sighed remembering one of the requirements, “We have to keep the feelings the same so they would have to love one another regardless.” The other two just nodded. I was less than happy with where this project was headed. I hadn’t meant for this scene to become the way they were writing it.

We spent the rest of the class period rewriting the scene. Ren was taking control of it with a few interjections from me. Sehun had a larger part in the dialogue that he worked on. I had one or two sentences and after I worked on them I just sat fuming. I had to admit, for a jerk Sehun was creative and smart. He obviously took his studies seriously; he just never acted like it. I thought this project would mostly consist of him poking fun at me like his friends did. I didn’t actually expect to get anything done, so I was surprised when Sehun said, “Alright, I think the rewrite is finished. Ren can go make copies and we can film it Friday. That will give us tomorrow and the rest of today to learn the lines, since its due Monday.” Ren nodded and got up to go make our copies. We still had a few minutes before the end of class. Sehun turned to me.

Sehun’s POV

I turned to Luhan. Something about him bugged me but I couldn’t figure out what. “Have we meet before?” I asked. His face turned a light pink, “NO!” he exclaimed. I thought for a moment, “Are you sure? You seem familiar.” He turned his head a bit, “The first time I met you was two weeks ago. I had apparently been sitting in your seat, not that I recall there being assigned seats nor was your name on it!” I grinned, “Oh yeah, I remember that. You got up so meekly, I almost thought you were a girl.”

A scowl crossed his face, “I was new. I thought it better not to make enemies, not like it worked. Your so called ‘Friends’ made me an enemy for absolutely no reason.” I grinned, which I could see irritated him. I knew exactly why my ‘friends’ made Luhan an enemy. It wasn’t because of anything he did or said, it was merely because of the fact he hung out with Kris. That jerk threw a pencil at me on the first day of school. We got into it and have hated each other since. “In a sick twisted way, they have a reason. They are part of my crew, while you are part of the enemy’s. Those guys love terrorizing anyone associated with Kris and I have to admit, I find some satisfaction in seeing that jerk mad or irritated,” I replied.

I saw Ren walking back to us and leaned in closer to Luhan, “And if I were you, I’d be getting use to it. There will be more for you in the future Hannie; from them and me, but mainly from me. You are officially my own little project.” I sat back in satisfaction at the terror on his face. Ren finally reached us and gave us our copies of the script just as the bell rang. “See you Friday Hannie,” I called happily as I left the class. I don’t know why I decided to single him out today. I suppose it was the fact that he was just an unlucky soul in the middle of a hate war between me and Kris, but then again so was everyone else. Not to mention the thought of seeing Luhan’s face scrunched up in horror had me giddy.

I met up with D.O, Lay, and Xiumin before our next classes to let them know Luhan was officially off-limits. Lay and Xiumin started to put up a fight, but I cut them off quickly. “Look, I have some plans for the little girl so mind someone else’s business. Not to mention the fact that you each have a person to annoy. Lay, you’re pranking Kris. Focus on that. Xiumin, I haven’t seen Chen irritated lately, work harder. And D.O, well…just do whatever you usually do. I’ve got class, see you guys,” I said before walking to my music appreciation class.

 

 

3rd person POV

 

The date Suho and JaeNi planned was moved up a day. They felt that the sooner they got it over with, the sooner they could get back to wondering how they were going to get their friend's to Heechul. She sighed. That was going to be difficult.
 
JaeNi fixed the strap of her heel and straitened as she waited for Suho. Baekhyun exited the other room and gave her a smile, "He'll be a sec."
 
She thanked him and bowed a little as he inspected her. She felt uncomfortable until Chanyeol came in and pinched Baekhyun's arm. "Stop staring, you might as well be straight." He said. 
 
She couldn't help but chuckle as Baekhyun rubbed his now sore arm. "Look at her, Channie! I wouldn't believe it was really her if I wasn't seeing her now!"  He turned back to JaeNi, "Your make up is such a drastic change... it suits you well."
 
"Thank you," She smield and nodded. Chanyeol then grabbed his boyfriend's hand and pulled him to the other rooms. "Sorry about him." Chanyeol announced before disappearing into the room as well. JaeNi whistled to herself and looked down. Well damn, that was blunt. 
 
She felt hersellf biting her lip as he examined herself. What would Suho think of this? The door behind her opened and she watched as Kris entered the dorm. He looked suprised to see her. "JaeNi?" 

She clasped her hands together, looking shy. "Do you think Suho will like it?" She asked, motioning to her thigh length black dress with a silver band. She held her black jacket and a small purse for her phone in her hands as well now. Kris rolled his eyes, "You worry too much. He in there?"

She gave a small nod and bowed her wavy hair to hide the scowl on her face. Kris coul be such a sometimes. The blond dragon went to his room and closed the door. She stuck her tongue out childishly at the closed door. "Well good night to you too!" She hissed.

The door to Suho's room opened and he came out. She grinned at his suprise, trembling inwardly. "About time!"

He nodded and looked her up and down. She blushed, "Are you ready to go?"

He nodded again, "Hold... KRIS?!" He shouted. He grabbed a jacket from the arm of the couch, "I'm leaving!"

"WHATEVER." The dragon barked back.

Suho rolled his eyes and turned back to a frowning JaeNi. As he opened the door for her, JaeNi looked up at him, "He doesn't like me, does he?"

"I think he just listens to Junha's worst fears and pretends they're real. We haven'te xactly talked about this." He replied. JaeNi suddenly felt horrified as she walked down the stairs. She grabbed Suho's arm, "If I fall, will you promise not to laugh?"

The clink clink of her heels echoed through the corridor as a girl came gliding up the stairwell, almost knocking them over. He chukled, "I'll try my best."

The two made it out of the building and JaENi pulled on her jacket, covering her bare shoulder's. "Will you be alright if we just walk tonight?" He asked, referring to her lack of clothing.

She nodded, "Yeah. I'll be fine." She smiled to him as they left campus.

The walked for a few moments, simply sharing light conversation until JaeNi's eyes landed on something. "Oh!" She suddenly darted across the road as fast as she could, not caring about traffic. Suho followed, waiting for a few cars to go by, and watched as she snatched off her heels. She left them on the playground's merry-go-round and went directly to the swing.

"What are you doing?" Suho called. JaeNi reached up like a gymnast and pulled herself to sit on the tall support bar. "I didn't know this place was here!" She called down to him. He moved to stand in front of the swings. "MY mom used to bring me to places like this when I was a kid."

"You aren't close to her, are you?" He asked. He'd heard the sadness in her vioce when she talked about her mother. "How'd you get up there?"

She giggled, "Did you want to join me?"

After a good twenty minutes of failed attempts to sit with her, JaeNi climbed down and the two settled for actually sitting in the swings.

They sat in a chilled silence for a bit, simply enjoying the way the shadows danced across the landscape. "No." JaeNi said suddenly.

"No?" Suho repeated.

"I'm not close to my parents. My dad died when I was little and I moved out of my Mom's house when I was sixteen. She sends me holiday cards every year so at least I'll know when she dies... She doesn't call me often anymore." JaeNi explained, looking at her thumbs in her lap.

"Is that any way to live? I mean, you have one life, shouldn't you surround yourself with people who love you?" Suho asked, turning to look at her. In the dark, her skin seemed even more pale. She looked very vampiric with rosy cheeks and bright eyes -something you might see in a music video.

Se sighed, "I have. I have Tao and Junha. My friends in America... they talked to me a lot on the computer and we text... It isn't all bad." She paused and turned to look at Suho. "Why aren't we friends?"

His brows furrowed, "We are't?"

"No... I mean, how come we didn't talk before the assignment? I feel like I can really open up to you." She replied, rubbing her knees with her palms.

"Because you're scary." It was her turn to look confused. He quickly recovered, "Uh, you seem to be that kind of girl who'd sooner eat your own hand off than talk to someone like me."

She laughed, a nice relaxed sound. "I need my hands and they don't taste good. I really hope your opinion of me has changed." She flashed him her smile and he felt it was contagious.

"Greatly. I didn't know you liked to smile so much."

She instantly covered with her hand and looked at him with wide eyes. "Is that a bad thing? Does it bother you?"

"No! oh, no!" He announced, pulling her hand away from her face, "I like your smile."

Her cheeks darkened a little and she looked at the ground. "You don't have to say such things when people aren't around."

"But its true. Why shouldn't I speak my mind?" It was then that he noticed her shivering. "Here, let's go some place warmer." Extending his hand to her, he waited.

She grabbed his hand and moved to the merry-go-round to sit down. "I don't think that's warmer, JaeNi." He chuckled.

She gave a shrug, "The cold keeps me in reality, so I like it... And I have to put my shoes back on." She motioned to the heels next to her and then put one on.

As she fixed the buckle, Suho scratched his head awkwardly. His first thought had been 'how the hell can she walk in those?' but then he chalked it up to being a room mate to Junha -who never went anywhere without magically growing two or more inches due to her shoes.

JaeNi stood and rubbed her arms a little, "How long have we been gone?"

Suho pulled his phone out and looked at it, "Well... I'm not sure what time we left but its been over an hour."

"How long would it take to get back?"

He thought for a second. "About half an hour if we walk. If we run, half of that."

She nodded and tried to hold back her shudders. Suho slipped off his jacket and extended it to her. "Here, this one is thicker than yours."

She shook her head, "I can't take it."

This caused a befuddled expression to fall on his features. "Why not?"

She started to walk away, "I just can't."

"JaeNi, what will it take for you to take the damn jacket?" He asked bluntly. She stopped and contimplated for a a breif amount of time before continuing to walk, "I don't know."

Suho grabbed her and engulfed her in a hug from behind. He burried his face in her hair, "I will keep you right here and not let go all night if you don't take it."

She tried to push him away, "Let me go!"

Suho held her arms down against her sides, "Take the jacket."

"I can't!" She growled and leaned forward swiftly to no aveil. Suho was stronger. She shivered more and leaned back against him. He was practically radiating heat like a sun! Trying to make herself smaller, she pressed herself into his chest. "I'll take the jacket." She murmured grumpily.

Suho released her and she took the jacket, wrapping it around herself like a blanket. "Thank you, Suho."

He smiled and placed a hand at the small of her back as they crossed the street. She didn't resist his touches anymore, as his warmth was very nice, but she worried about his health the entire way back to SUPA. She sighed. Why did it have to be cold?

 

 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry guys for the somewhat late update. Panda is on a cruise and has no internet and I was sick today. Hopefully I will be able to get CH 12 uploaded earlier.