Acting? ;)

What is History?

JaeNi's POV

I doodled in my notebook as Heechul wrote on the large board in the front. I was so busy thinking over my last conversation with Ronnie that I wasn't even listening anymore. How could he expect me to do something like that? You can't just spring that kind of thing on someone! I sighed. It'd already been three days and I hadn't heard another peep from him. Why was he being like this? It didn't make sense. The only logical thing I could think of was that he'd either meant what he'd said or he found someone else.... I really didn't want it to be the second option.

"Pen JaeNi!" Heechul shouted. Startled, I jumped and looked at him. He smirked, "Someone's in the clouds today."

I bowed, "Forgive me, sir. I have a lot on my mind. Would you please repeat the statement?"

He nodded, "I need everyone to number off. I have twenty five students in here, so one of you will be paired with someone from another class. I'm thinking that will be miss JaeNi, as she was not paying attention. I'll start on the left side. Once the number 12 is reached, start over at 1 and those will start on the other side of the class. Ready?" He went to the left side of the room and placed his hands on the desk before him. The guy sitting there said "One."

Heechul pointed to the person next to him. "Two." Then the two seats behind them and so on. Junha got the number twelve on the second round. Heechul smiled at the class. "Now, there should be two of each number. When I call your number, I want you to stand so I can write down who the partners are. Ones?" At this point I was nervous. What if he paired me with some one I hated? I would die... or be arrested.

Two people -a dark haired boy and a dyed red haired girl stood. He smiled and recorded their names. "Twos?" Same thing. He made it all the way to five before a knock on the door interupted him. He turned and pushed it open. I relaxed, seeing it was just Suho.

"Forgive the interuption, sir, but I have something for my sister." He held up a notebook. I was worried as Heechul smiled, "JaeNi?"

I nodded and he motioned me over. He opened the door and ushered myself and Suho out. He looked at us. "Let me make this clear from the start, Junha's behaviour towards the new student the other day really got on my nerves. Never have I had a student to be so talented and so shameless."

"There's my sister for you," Suho rolled his eyes. I giggled and hid my mouth. He was right of course, but Junha's treatment went beyond his class -not that he knew that.

He looked at us sternly, "JaeNi, Suho is going to be your partner for this assignment."

I looked back and forth between Suho and Heechul. "What is this assignment exactly?"

He grinned, the evil glint in his eyes terrifying me slightly. "You two have to be as shameless as Junha herself. This assignment requires you two to make her believe you're a couple. You can not tell anyone otherwise. If you can each get four of your friends to confirm that Junha believes you're a couple, I'll pass you both."

My eyes widened. Shameless as Junha? No... I wouldn't be able to do that. "But, sir, I can't! I have-"

"If you would prefer to fail the assignment and possibly the semester-"

Suho cut him off, "We'll do it, sir."

My eyes were wide as I stared at him. Heechul nodded, "Good. I'll give you five minutes to brainstorm before I dismiss the class." He went back inside.

I couldn't stop the itch in my palm as I slapped Suho across the face. "How dare you intrude upon my life?"

He grabbed my hands and held them to my sides. I was suprised that he was actually strong enough to keep me restrained. I was unsure of when I actually stopped fighting him, but I was very uncomfortable under his stare. "Calm down. This isn't going to go at all like you would imagine."

I glared. "I don't like you touching me." I hissed back at him.

"Are you going to slap me before I can explain again?" He asked. I looked away. "No." He released my hands and I hid them behind my back to keep from hitting him again.

"All we have to do is pretend we're a couple in front of Junha. She's got the biggest mouth on campus so no doubt she'll tell Kris and Chanyeol, maybe even Baekhyun." He explained.

I calmed a little, "And she'd probably tell the guy she tutors."

He smiled at me, "See? We just have to tolerate eachother until then. Just a few days."

I nodded and stepped back, "But be warned. I will not 'tolerate' for you to put your hands on me again like that."

"We have to do something in Junha's presence so I hope you're ready." I gave a nod and a smirk, "I've got in under control, ok? Just... I'll meet you at your dorm after my last class, ok? I'll sit with you at Sunny's tomorrow and the assignment starts there."

"No, let's start it now. The sooner its started the sooner it ends. Give me your hand." Curious, I held out my hand for him. Suho took his time in writing down a bunch of numbers and his name. I rolled my eyes and smiled to myself.

"That's what you've got so far?" I asked, looking at his phone number. He nodded, "Yes. Enter it into your phone contacts and add some cutesy name with it."

I nodded and patted his shoulder, "This is going to be a longggg assignment."

He nodded and looked less enthusiatic than I felt, "You got that right."

As he turned to walk away, I heard Heechul dismiss the class. The door opened and I watched as a few students exited. It was only then that I noticed at some point Suho had given me Junha's note book. When she touched my shoulder, I jumped. She reached over and took the folder, "Thanks. Wait! What's that?" She asked, ever observant.

I noticed she had seen Suho's number on my hand. She snatched my hand over and read it with wide. She pushed me against the wall, "What is this?!"

I moved so that I wasn't cornered and forced myself to look embarassed. "Well... When Heechul asked Suho to recomend a partner for my assignment, he said he'd do it. When Heechul went back in... He asked me to lunch and gave me his number. Junha, your brother is so sweet." I smiled and bowed my head, trying desprately to hide the hatred in my mind.

I turned and started walking, but she followed me. "Suho? Sweet? JaeNi, have you bumped your head?" She asked angrily. "He's my brother! You couldn't possibly be considering going to lunch with him, could you?"

I bit my lip and nodded. She stopped then and I took this as my chance to escape. I went over to the dance studios, dreading that I would have to explain to instructor Minzy that I'd left my bag in my previous class. She'd of course give me time to go get it, but I couldn't go face Junha right now.

Junha's POV

I fiddled with the fish charm on my necklace as I walked to Heechul's office. I had some question's about the assignment he just gave us, like why he paired my brother and bestfriend together. I knew he had a knack for playing cupid and so help me if he was trying that on my family ties he was going to get it. Know matter how long I had known Heechul Oppa, which had been since I was in fourth grade, it didn't excuse him. Though I had to be thankful that the way he paired us off had me working with Kai, much to his dismay.

As I reached his office door I heard a familiar voice. It was a voice I hadn't heard in five years. 'Five years exactly in two days. I haven't seen him since my 16th birthday. The day he told me he didn't love me the way I loved him and that he was seeing someone else. He was seeing a guy!' My thoughts went back to that strange day, the day I changed.

I was excited about my birthday. I was spending the whole day with Fishy and was so happy. He came early and took me to all the places I wanted to go. After we had lunch and caught a movie, he handed me a silver wrapped box. I opened it to find a sliver fish pendent on a delicate chain. I happily turned to him, but my smile faltered. He looked troubled as if he had something horrible to say. I plastered a smile back on my face and poked his cheek, "Oppa, what's with the look? Did someone die?"

His smile was sad as he shook his head, "No, but I have some news to tell you, I just don't know how to say this," he took a deep breath, " Junha, I don't feel the way you think I do. I mean I love you, but I'm not in love with you. Not like how you are with me and I know you've spent two years on me. I'm sorry to have led you on, but I seriously thought I could love you. I thought I could stop my feelings for someone else...I thought they didn't feel the same, but...I know now that they like me and I know I love them. I've loved them since I was six years old and I've never loved anyone else like that. I'm so sorry Junha."

He looked at me for a response. The pretty box slipped through my fingers as what he said sank in, "Who is it?" was my only response. He quickly turned his head, not being able to look at me, "HyukJae Hyung." I blanched. A Guy! He couldn't love me because of a GUY!!! With my lack of response, he quickly looked at me. I hadn't realized he picked the necklace up until he stood and put it around my neck. "I hope you'll keep this and not be too mad at me. I really did try to love you the way you love me, but honestly my heart wasn't completly in it. I do love you though, apart of me always will, but a bigger part can't be without HyukJae. Just know you will always be the first and only girl I love.

I came back to myself with a shake. The voices were still talking and I my necklace. I remember being upset at first, but I couldn't stay that way. The thing he didn't know was that I spent more than two years on him. I spent nine years of my life with feelings for him.One year with a crush, two as an aqcantince, three years of being just his friend, and two loving him. Then five years with his absence because he went abroad to study, and suddenly a return.

But I was excited at his return. I had forgiven him the day after he confessed to me. How could I be upset when he was following his heart? So I let him go, though it still left me with a few scars. The Baekyeol incident was pretty much that all over again. That's twice the guy I loved turned out batting for the other team. That was one of the reasons I began stalking the guys I had intrest in, though no one knew it. It was just to make sure I wouldn't waste my time on someone who would surprise me in the end and add to the few scars I had. I did a terrible job with Chanyeol, but that was probably because somewhere along the way it became more of a hobby than a defense mechanism.

What could I say? I was epically strange! I knocked on the door after standing outside for several minutes. "Come in," Heechul called. I opened the door, a grin on my face, "Donghae Oppa!!!" Donghae was surprised as I jumped him for a hug. He pulled me away and looked closely, "Junha? NO! There is no way that this is my sweet, innocent Junha! My grin widened as I nodded. "How's HyukJae Oppa?" I asked. "He's good. Loving his job," Donhae replied smiling. "How about we catch up over lunch?" Heechul asked as he grabbed his coat. "Sure, I have to talk to you about the assignment anyway, Mr. Cupid!" I replied.

Donghae hid a smile behind his hand as he asked, "Who'd he pair together this time?" I huffed out a sigh, "JunMyeon and MY BESTFRIEND." Heechul tutted, "As I recall I also paired you with the new student. Who, may I remind you, the whole school knows you're stalking." I flapped a hand and turned to Donghae, "I do not STALK, I creatively watch. Plus JaeNi isn't just my bestfriend, she is the only female friend I have." Heechul just shook his head, while Donghae laughed.

Suho's POV

I was overly exhausted. My brain had been picked dry as I tried to think of how to get Junha to think JaeNi and I were a couple. I'd been avoiding both of them for the remainder of the day. I was now in the dorm, alone. Finally able to relax. I was in the kitchen when I heard the door open. "Who is it?" I asked. If it was Kris, he'd be going to shower. If it were Junha, she'd be coming to kill me. If it were Baekhyun or Chanyeol, I'd be making more food.

There was no reply, so I reached over and turned the stove off. I turned around and was frightened to see her sitting on the back of the couch, feet kicking, couch clasped in her claws as she kept her balance. She smiled, obviously pleased with my reaction. "Hi."

"You're just as bad as Junha!" I watched as she jumped down and threw her bag on the ground. "Junha never told me you could cook."

I rolled my eyes, "Who did you think taught her?"

She pushed her hair up into a ponytail and tied it with her bracelet. "Classes. She took a cooking class last semester."

She came near me, peering into the pan in my hand that I'd nearly dropped. She cocked her head to the side, "What is it?"

I stepped back, noticing that she'd changed since earlier. She was now wearing ankle length boots and shorts that nearly disappeared under her long tank top. As I stepped back, she stepped forward. Looking around, she eyed something on the counter. I felt the air from my lungs being expelled as she reached across me to grab a pair of chop sticks. She took a peice of the meat from the pan and gave it a soft blow before putting it in . "Mmm..." The way she moaned from the taste was nearly sinful. She looked back at me and smiled, "This is really good. Would you like to try it?"

I didn't respond. How could I? She just popped up in my dorm and ate my food! It was like feeding a stray once and it coming back for food when you're an old broke man. She reached into the pan and held another peice of meat up to my lips. "Go ahead. I promise, it's good."

I opened my mouth and took the food. She was right. It was good... However, that wasn't the suprising part. The suprising part was that she was feeding it to me. She was ready to kill me earlier that day! She blinked her large green eyes at me. "Would you like another peice?"

I nodded slowly and she grabbed another small thing from the pan. Slowly she blew on it and extended it to my lips. I was taking it as the door opened. "Yah!"

She ignored my sister and Kris and took another peice from the pan for herself. Junha shouted something and Kris pulled her out of the dorm, closing the door.

JaeNi turned back to me and cupped a hand over to keep her laughter muffled. When she was finally able to breathe again, she put the chop sticks in the pan and smiled happily. "And so it begins." She told me.

I had to give her credit for that one. "You're good." I mumbled. "However, can we leave my dinner out of it next time?"

She giggled and nodded, "Maybe this won't be so bad." She took the pan from me and set it back on the stove. She bowed to me, "I want to apologize for slapping you earlier."

I smiled. This was nice. Now I had seen four sides of JaeNi: stoic, angry, seductive, and polite. It was very relaxing to feel like she wasn't about to claw out my eyes. "Its fine. I shouldn't have accepted the assignment without talking to you first."

She shrugged, "I have to pass the class anyways. I'd rather be paired with you, my best friend's brother, than a complete stranger or someone I absolutely hate."

So she didn't absolutely hate me. That was a start. Who knows? Maybe in the end we would call eachother friends. "Can I get you a drink? After that smooth act, you deserve it."

She bowed a little, "Thanks. Do you have cola?"

I nodded and went to the fridge. She was leaned over, picking through my food when I turned. Was this the girl JaeNi saw daily in their dorm? If so, it was very different from the girl I saw in public. This one was happy and had no problem letting her guard down. The other side of her was stoic -emotionless. She usually played on her phone and wore headphones. I extended the drink to her, "Here you are."

She straitened and took it with both hands. "Thank you."

"So... Is there a specific reason you changed clothes before coming to scare me?" I asked, stealing the chopsticks from her. A small pout settled on her lips as she took a sip of her drink. "I just came from dance class."

That explained it. I nodded, "To be clear, you came here to get our assignment over?"

She nodded and took another sip. "I knew Junha'd be coming this way after she noticed your number on my hand earlier. Wasn't it fun, though?" She was positively grinning.

I chuckled. She was right. To see Junha stone frozen like that was more than worth it. I pinched a bit from the pan and extended it to her. She batted her eyes and reached for the chop sticks. I moved them away and put the food to her lips. "I think its only fair to return the favor."

She smiled and took the offered food. Just as I was pulling it away, Kris entered the dorm. He cleared his throat and we looked at eachother, chuckling. "Suho, I think we need to talk."

JaeNi pouted and looked at me as if it weren't fair that she had to leave. I offered her another bite. She took it happily and closed her eyes. "About?" I asked, playing the role I'd been given.

"Private matters." He replied. JaeNi took another sip of her drink before moving to walk by me. She looked by and gave a small wave, as if suddenly shy, and ran out. I waved back slightly as she left. I placed the eating utensils down and moved to get a plate. "WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SEE?" Kris shouted as soon as the door was shut.

I shrugged, "What do you think?"

He growled, "Suho, that's your little sister's best friend!"

I looked over, annoyed. "Well, Chanyeol's one of my best friends. Why didn't you scold her when she was trying to get with him?"

"Because I knew that wouldn't happen!" He shot back, "That's your sister's only female friend. Why can't you leave her alone? If something goes wrong between you two, who's to say she won't take it out on Junha?"

I fixed a plate of rice and meat, really starting to get annoyed. They were best friends. If JaeNi hadn't snapped on Junha, that wasn't going to happen at all. But I couldn't be too angry with him. He didn't know it was just and assignment to get under Junha's skin. "Shouldn't you be happy for me? I finally found a girl at this school that doesn't seem to be horrible."

I could see on his face that Kris was remembering a few of my exs. I had to man up and say that I didn't have very good luck finding good girlfriends. Kris had been there to help mend a broken heart on more than one occasions. He sighed, "Whatever. We'll talk about it when I'm out of the shower."

I watched as he left and chuckled to myself. This assignment definately was not going to be as bad as we thought.

 

 

We hope you enjoyed this week's chapter! Reviewing makes the creative juices flow better -wink, hint- :D!

-Minji and Panda