The New Guys: Luhan & Kai

What is History?

 

Sehun walked into class a few minutes late. With his record, the teacher didn't even ask for an excuse this time. Everyone was silently taking notes as they scribbled what was on the board in the front of the room. Sehun approached his usual seat only to notice something unusual. A boy with bouncy light brown hair sat in his place. He didn’t' recognize the boy in the slightest. "You're in my seat." Sehun announced, placing his notebook on the table surface.

Soft brown eyes looked up at him, contrasting a shy face. "I'm sorry," The boy said.

He collected his things and stood, looking for a new seat. As he searched, Sehun announced, "I haven't seen you before."

"I just started this semester." He said, locating a seat in the back of the class.

Sehun followed the new guys stare and glared at the occupant next to the empty seat. The occupant glared back easily. It intimidated the poor boy at first, but upon realizing it was the only seat available, he swallowed the lump in his throat and sat down next to the scary dragon.

The seat's inhabitance continued glaring at Sehun until one of the girls around Sehun got his attention. The dragon boy scribbled on a sheet of paper in his sloppy Korean, "What's your name?"

"Luhan." The boy whispered, knowing his Korean writing was even sloppier than the boy next to him. He could read it well and speak it alright, but he could not write it easily. He usually ended up writing half his statements in his native language and the other half in his second. "What's yours?"

"I'm Kris." Kris shuffled for a second, coughing to cover up the sound of his phone's vibration. He placed his phone on his thigh and tapped the screen gently. Reading something, he rolled his eyes.

Luhan turned his attention back to the familiar face of Sehun. 'Where do I know you from?' He asked himself. He felt silly for thinking Sehun was familiar. He'd only been in Korea for a little while, having lived in China most of his life. He didn't know many people... However, he was fairly certain that Sehun was a familiar character.

He looked over to see Kris had returned to his "notes". Mostly they were just doodles of two people beating the hell out of each other. He went back to poking his phone for a minute and looked up as if paying attention.

Squinting, Luhan got another look at Sehun's face. He still felt he recognized it.

The girl behind him who he'd been leaned back talking to suddenly slammed her book closed and stood. "Noona!" Sehun nearly shouted, "Don't be like that." She left in fit of stomps. Luhan felt his heart beat speed up at the statement.

Everyone turned their attention to them. Even Kris looked on with a raised brow. The teacher cleared his throat, "If you're done."

A bright smile graced Sehun's face, "Don't stop on my account."

Luhan sank back in his chair as everyone gave their last lingering stares. He glared daggers into the boy’s hair. That one statement confirmed it all. He knew who Sehun was.

Class continued on without any further interruptions. Sehun talked to the girls around him and Kris texted. Luhan simply sat lost in thought. Oh fate, you cruel selfish ...

The teacher closed his book and took off his glasses, telling the students their homework assignment before dismissing them. Everyone rushed out the door. Kris slung his bag onto his shoulder, effectively hitting Luhan. The smaller boy stumbled into a nearby desk. 

"Whoa!" Kris announced, grabbing the boy's arm to steady him, "You ok?"

Luhan nodded, "I'm fine."

To this, the taller boy nodded, "So you just started today?"

Shyness took over Luhan. He wasn't aware he'd been speaking that loud to Sehun. "Yeah. I ... I was wondering if there was a place to eat on campus? I spent most of this morning moving into my dorm so I had to skip breakfast."

Kris nodded, "There are a few places actually. I'm heading to one myself to meet some friends. You want to hang?"

Luhan shy smile gave way to utter excitement. "You really want me to hang out with you?"

Kris walked towards the door, Luhan following. "Actually, I want to make sure you're ok. You don't look like you could handle yourself in a fight."

Adorable features adorned a curious expression, "Why would I need to fight someone?"

"Well... Sehun didn't look happy with you when you were in his seat. The guy attempted to bludgeon me to death for literally nothing. You could be next." Kris explained, politely waving to someone who had greeted him, but in all honesty, he had no clue who it was.

"He wouldn't beat me up." Luhan said angrily, fists clenched as he shoved his hands in his pockets. Kris pushed open the door at the end of the hall, revealing the warm day.

"So you know him well?" Kris frowned.

Luhan shook his head, feeling the cool breeze on his cheeks. "Where are we going?" he asked in attempt to change the subject.

Kris pointed and walked towards Sunny's Cafe. Luhan followed Kris silently and watched as he went directly to one of the tables towards the far right window. Two boys were sitting at a large round table, conversing quietly while a girl sat at a table for two next to them.

Nervously, Luhan straitened himself. He had to stay confident and be likeable. Making new friends couldn't be that hard could it? Just as Luhan thought this, he felt a strange pressure against his foot. The pressure sent Luhan falling into a neighboring table.

 

JaeNi's POV

As I walked in I immediately felt familiar presences. I looked up from my phone, which my head phones were plugged into, and noticed Junha was there. I hadn't expected to see her here for lunch as she usually ate back at our dorm. I sighed. 'She must be following Chanyeol around again.'

I noticed a small commotion as the boys entered before Tao and myself. I didn't really care to see it, so I went back to my phone. However, I paused my music so that I could hear what was going on. Lay pushed some guy over apparently. Shocker! -Please note the sarcasm.

"Looks like Kris has a new pet." Lay laughed. The others laughed as well.

I heard Kris shoving Lay back into Xuimin and whoever was next to him. "Shut up, Lay. No one is in the mood for your sorry today."

Someone moved then. I wasn't paying close enough attention to say who. I noticed Junha now watching the group, glowering. She also had a drink.

I my lips and went over to her. I noticed Baekhyun helping the stranger that I assumed Lay had pushed into a table. It sounded like someone was about to get beat. "Gege!" Junha shouted, rushing over to Kris.

I took her seat and looked at my phone as I got a text from Tao.

From: Tao

            Why'd you leave me here with these idiots?

I smirked. Poor, poor Panda. He couldn't just come sit so close to anyone who talked to Kris, save for me without Sehun scolding him. However, Tao simply took it. He wasn't fazed, nor did he listen half the time in my opinion, but he still deserved to talk to whoever the hell he cared to. I responded, taking a sip of Junha's soda.

To: Tao

            I wanted Junha's drink.

I relaxed until Xuimin spotted Baekhyun. He was still standing next to the new guy. "So Baekhyun finally got tired of Chanyeol? Who knew the had a thing for little boys?" The others laughed. I noticed Tao tense visibly.

To: Tao

            Calm down, hot shot.

He looked down at his phone and read it, responding quickly.

From: Tao

            And so you won't come back so I can leave?

I shook my head and smiled. He couldn't just leave like this without raising suspicions from his friends that he was secretly friends with Kris or some stupid stuff like that. Baekhyun moved away from the other guy. Junha stepped in front of Xuimin, making this suddenly interesting.

To: Tao

            Nope. Go sit down if you don't want to be with the group.

 Junha shouted and poked Xuimin in the chest, "How could such a boyish mouth say such horrible things?" She placed her hands on her hips sassily.

From: Tao

            Your friend is very... bold.

To:Tao

            Don't you mean stupid? Also, you should probably get Xuimin. She'll do anything to defend Chanyeol and Suho's radiating anger behind me.

I looked as Xuimin glared down at Junha. "Suho, you should probably get your sister before she gets hurt."

From: Tao

            What do you mean?

I smiled. "Hey! If you have threat, you direct it at me! Leave my brother out of this, coward!" Junha growled out.

To Tao:

            He's going to get hurt.

I watched Tao open the message and then went back to the argument. Xuimin pulled on the bottom of one of her pigtails, "Go back to being the gay boys' toy and leave us men alone?"

From Tao:

            I doubt it.

Junha growled, "THAT"S IT!"

To Tao:

            Told you so.

I looked up in time to see Junha kicking Xuimin in the shins and pushing him back into Lay and Sehun. Suho was now in front of his sister, daring Xuimin to raise his hand at her.

"Why don't you just leave us alone?" Baekhyun asked.

D.O. was going to say something, but Tao stepped between the two groups. He looked completely and utterly bored -as usual when people where around. He silently willed his friend's to sit down. They all glared, but seemingly understood one thing Tao was conveying with his eyes -though his lips never moved. If the boys causing trouble get caught, EVERYONE would get punished.

The boys sneered and snorted as they went to the other side of the building. Xuimin 'accidently' bumped into Luhan again as he passed. I smirked at Tao and he nodded his response to me.

The new guy jumped when Kris put a hand on his shoulder and I had to put the cup in front of my mouth to hide the smile. I could read Kris's lips. "Are you alright?"

The guy bowed to them all, "I'm fine. Thank you all for your help."

Junha smiled, "It was nothing! Baekhyun, Chanyeol-oppa called for you."

Suho grabbed Junha's arm and started whisper shouting at her about the time I turned my music on. I placed her cup down and felt the table shift slightly as Junha flopped down angrily.

She tried to grab her cup, but I pulled it out of reach. "JaeNi!" She whined, "It’s mine!"

I took a sip and shut my phone off to preserve the battery power. "If you can tell me the English name for it, I'll give it back."

"I don't know it!" She tried her best to have an American accent but it only ended up sounding funny.

I had to give her soda back just because she said that in English, which meant my teachings to her were paying off. I'd be happy to speak my mother language again.

 

3rd person POV

Junha plopped down in her desk beside JaeNi in their acting class. She nudged JaeNi while staring at their teacher, “Heechul Oppa is so hot,” she whispered. JaeNi glanced at her smiling, “That is definitely one guy we can agree on!” Once everyone was seated Heechul stood up from his desk, “Good afternoon class. Yesterday we learnt on how to express emotions through facial expression.”

The door suddenly opened up and a guy with dark hair walked in. He walked up to Heechul and bowed. They had a whispered conversation that Junha caught a snippet of. “Oh you must be Kai,” Heechul whispered. Junha didn’t hear what the guys reply was, but Heechul asked him to take a seat. The guy nodded, turning to look around the room. The only available seat was behind JaeNi and this is where the guy headed. As he walked to the seat Junha smiled and leaned over to JaeNi, “He is AY.” JaeNi laughed at her pronunciation of the English word y. “I want,” she commented staring hungrily at the new guy.

Her attention snapped back as Heechul began speaking. “As I was saying, we are going to build on this week’s lessons today. You will each pick a paper out of this bowl.” Heechul went around letting the students pick, skipping Kai as he was new, “On each paper will be three emotions you will have to convey through facial expression, words, and body movements. You may even chose a person from the class to demonstrate on. You will have one minute for each emotion and I will announce when you shall change them. Now who would like to begin?”

A couple of people raised their hand. Heechul picked one of them as Junha looked at her paper. “This is going to be easy,” she whispered to JaeNi, showing her the paper. It had lust, anger, and happiness written on it. JaeNi smiled and nodded, handing Junha her paper when she held out her hand. JaeNi’s said indifference, humor, and agitation. The first student was done and Heechul called up the next.

It was Minwoo, who Junha knew well. He had a crush on her for a while, and Junha didn’t return the feelings. He was adorable but didn’t reach her age limit by a year. JaeNi hid a chuckle when she noticed the boy coming up to Junha, who had a ‘save me’ look on her face. He began acting, though JaeNi couldn’t tell what his first emotion was. Junha could see it was delight, but JaeNi thought it looked like nervousness.

His second emotion was clearly love as he confessed to Junha. Neither had a clue what the third emotion was. “Now what were you emotions Minwoo?” Heechul asked. “Umm…” Minwoo hesitantly began, “Delight, Love, and Sadness.” Heechul nodded and pointed to Junha, “Let’s hear what the resident acting princess has to say about how you portrayed your emotions.” Junha took the pen out of , not fazed by Heechul comment. She knew she and JaeNi were two of the best actresses in the class. She began her critic, “Though I caught the delight, I’m sure some of the other’s didn't. As for love, you portrayed that very well, but I didn't get sadness from your last emotion. It had more of an ‘Oh my god I’m so lucky’ feel to it.” Heechul nodded at her conclusion. “I agree with Junha about the sadness emotion. Please be sure to control your real feelings and only portray those that are relative,” Heechul commented asking for the next student.

That’s how the class went, with guys acting out emotions of lust and love to Junha. JaeNi sat back and enjoyed the show at her friend’s discomfort. Soon there were only Junha, JaeNi, Kai, and some other girl who had not went. Heechul called for the other girl to proceed and Junha looked over at JaeNi. She nodded toward Kai with a big smile and two thumbs up. JaeNi shook her head and leaned backwards catching Kai’s attention. “Dude, I’m sorry, but you’re about to find out why most guys in this school don’t care if Junha’s crazy. And why so many in this class have acted for her. Again, I’m so sorry,” JaeNi warned the new guy, as the other girl finished.

Junha had been hoping that Heechul would call her next but was surprised as he called for JaeNi to go next. JaeNi just sat there, staring at Heechul. “JaeNi? I said you may begin,” Heechul responded. “I have,” JaeNi replied shrugging. Heechul gave a quizzical look but called for the next emotion.  JaeNi looked at Junha and busted out laughing. Junha smiled as a puzzled look crossed Heechul face. Junha had done nothing to provoke a laughing fit from JaeNi and after a moment Heechul also smiled. “Change,” he called, catching on to which emotions JaeNi had picked. She stopped laughing immediately and crossed her arms, a sour look crossing her face as her right leg bounced up and down.

“Scene,” Heechul called, clapping. The class looked slightly bewildered, “Please inform the class of the three emotions you chose,” Heechul asked her. JaeNi shrugged again, “Indifference, Humor, and Agitation.” A light dawned on everyone’s faces as they applauded. “No need for a critique. You did fabulous as expected JaeNi,” Heechul commended her, “Junha, you may begin.” JaeNi leaned back slightly and whispered to Kai, “and so it begins!” Junha smiled happily as she stood up and walked the two steps it took to get to Kai’s desk. She was ecstatic that she had decided to wear her black mini-skirt with the ruffles under it.

She sat on the desk and crossed her legs, making sure enough skin was showing, and ran a finger down Kai’s cheek. “My beds awful lonely with just me, maybe you could come keep me company,” Junha said tauntingly, leaning down to put her lips close to his ear. Kai just sat there unaffected and before she could nibble on his ear Heechul called, “Change.” Junha slid from the desk, glaring at Kai. She stomped her heel on the ground and slammed her hands on his desk. “How can you sit there like that? Are you made of stone? Yah, look at me!” she yelled, feigning poking him in the cheek. He turned his head and glared at her. “Are. You. Made. Of. Stone?” she punctuated each word with a stomp of her heel, her words sounding cold. Heechul grinned and called for a change. With that Junha’s whole demeanor changed. She smiled and put her hands behind her back, swaying a bit. “Ah, you’re so damn cute with that glare on your face! Omo, what’s a girl to do!” she stooped down a landed a kiss on his cheek. Heechul hurriedly called scene.

The class stared at Kai as he wiped his cheek. Junha still stood there with a huge grin, hands behind her back and twisting from side to side slightly. “Junha, please reveal your emotions in case the class didn't clearly get the point,” Heechul asked. Still in the same position, Junha replied, “Lust, Anger, and Happiness.” Heechul smiled, “Kai, please critique our Junha’s performance.” Kai nodded, “Well the emotions came off clearly, but there was a hint of creepiness within it. She looked like she wanted to eat me pretty much the whole time.”

“Creepiness is just part of my charm, dearie. And I would love to take a bite of you, are you offering?” Junha replied happily. “No, I am not offering. I would never offer to someone I don’t know,” Kai said with a look of disdain. “So, if I got to know you better I could?” Junha asked with a wink. JaeNi saw Kai’s expression and was on the edge of her seat, waiting for Junha to be shot down. “You will never have a chance with someone like me,” the reply was cold in a ‘You are beneath me’ way. Junha stomped her heel and pouted. Kai grinned evilly. Then Junha smiled creepily, “Just watch me ay!”

JaeNi laughed once again at her friend pronunciation as Junha spun on her heels and retrieved her things. She stopped in front of Heechul, “I believe class has ended, Sonsaengnim?” Before he could nod she was out the door, JaeNi close on her heels.

“That was priceless. He turned you down, Junha!” JaeNi commented as they headed to their dorm. Junha smiled, “Oh, he wants me JaeNi.” JaeNi looked disbelieving, “Really? I clearly heard him tell you no, not in a million years, no!”  Junha stopped to look at her friend, “He may not now, but he will, JaeNi, he will.” JaeNi smacked her palm to her forehead, “You’re not going to stalk him are you?” Junha began walking again as she wagged her finger, “Pen JaeNi, I do not stalk. I creatively watch. There is a difference.” JaeNi shook her head as she opened their door, “No Kim Junha, there is not. Only in your head does that difference exist.” Junha shrugged as she threw her stuff in her room. “I’m going to go find Oppa or Chanyeol-sshi! Have fun at dance class,” she called, happily skipping out of their room. She no doubt was already scheming of how to stalk Kai or maybe she had forgotten in the prospect to see Chanyeol. One could never know with her.