chapter 6

Beastly Love

COOKIES

Since my Culinary Arts class was starting I don’t have the time to go to the clinic. I arrived at the Home Economics room and the “chef” was already there with my classmates. I just snuck in the room and Yoseob found me under the table.

“Shh. The chef’s a little strict to naughty girls.” He whispered.
“I’m not naughty.” I whispered back.
“Let’s go.” He held my hand and we arrived at his own table.

“… now, we’re going to bake cookies. It’s very simple and if you have questions, you may ask Mr. Yang.” The chef told us. My classmates looked at him and he waved at them gleefully.

“What’s with that?” I asked.

“Don’t you know? I’m like the expert here in baking. But they have no idea that I don’t know how to cook dishes.” He whispered.

“You don’t know how to cook?!” I asked loudly. He covered my mouth at once when some of my classmates looked at us.

“Ms. Choi ____, come forth.” The chef called. I walked hesitantly, too afraid of her.

“Yes?” I asked in a low voice.

“I see you’re late for today.” She said loudly; enough for the whole class to hear. How did she know?

“Uhm, I apologize.” I said using a bit of formal words.

“I’ll assign you to kitchen duty.” She finally said. “Find someone who can help you in the kitchen.” She said as if shooing me away.

“I’ll help her in the kitchen, chef!!” Yoseob yelled from the back. Everyone knows that guys like him shouldn’t stay with lower people in lower places like the kitchen. All their classmates glared at me again.

“Choi ____, you’re dismissed for the kitchen duty.” She told me. I went to Yoseob and thanked him.

Our activity started. Since my cooking partner was Yoseob, I’ll surely get good grades.

“You know, I dunno how to bake but I know how to cook any kinds of dishes.” I told Yoseob as we were mixing the flour with some ingredients in one big bowl.

“Jeongmal? Well, I’m the opposite.” He smiled with his cheeks puffing.

“Then I’ll teach you how to cook and you teach me how to bake.” I said.

“No problem!!! Swear?” he held his pinky up and I cling mine to his.

Yoeseob began to put the chocolate icing on the newly baked cookies. It looked fun and I wanted to try it.

“Just hold the cone nice and easy. Don’t make a mess.” He advised me. I held it gently and pressed it near the cookie. I wasn’t able to control it well and a lot of chocolate icing spurt out.

“Omo!! Mianhe, Yoseob!!” I exclaimed.

Narrator:

“It’s because you’re not focusing.” Yoseob told her. “Lemme help.” He began pressing on the cone while helping her; holding her hand to manage it well. It ended up good. Two is better than one.ö

“Ya, what happened to your fist?” Yoseob asked.

“Uhh, it’s nothing.” She hid her hand behind her back.

“Wait, lemme see.” He reached for his handkerchief and tied it around her fist. “A good cook should have clean hands.” Yoseob have clean and flawless hand; just like a lady’s.

She was happy to see their teamwork went well. The two of them continued to work and they still have to finish 60 cookies. That means Yoseob have to hold her hand all the time until she’ll learn how to do it well.

As he was helping her, Yoseob’s mind crossed onto something.

‘Doesn’t she know how to put the icing; or is she just doing this so that I can hold her hand?’ he thought.

“____-ah, are you sure you don’t know how to bake?” he asked.

“Yes. I’ve never done it in my whole life. And I haven’t tried it before. Wae?”

“Nothing. I was just wondering.”

‘If I am wondering, why is my heart skipping like a hungry puppy? Why is my sweat rushing down whenever I get to hold her hand? This is a first.’ He thought again.

“Yoseob-ah, you’re the best. We did it well!!” she happily said.

“Why don’t you try to do it yourself? You can do it!” he encouraged.

“Okay, okay. I’ll try.”

She messed up at first but was able to make it up on the second try. Yoseob can never doubt her. It’s his own thoughts playing with him.

They were done. And the bell just rang.

“Okay, here’s what we’re gonna do.” The chef spoke loudly. “The cookies you just baked were done with full efforts. I want you to give it to the person special to you. It may not be in this class but to anyone. Araso? See if they like them.” then the class was dismissed.

Yoseob could see ____ smiling a lot. Is she planning to give it to him? He can’t wait for it. ____ packed a few cookies and put it on her bag.

“I’ll go ahead Yoseob.” She ran out of the room leaving him smiling. Then a lot of girls crowded him giving him cookies.