The Punishment

It's Just Another Love Story [Hiatus]

Previously on It's Just Another Love StoryKnock Knock. “Son? May I come in?” his mother said. Jong-in smiled wider. He always enjoyed his parents company after a long week and his mother’s timing was perfect. “Come in, mom” he said sweetly. She opened the door to see Tao sitting there. “There you are!” she said in a funny tone. She made her way to the other side of the bed beside her son. Jong-in, overall, had a good day. But he couldn’t quite get the new girl out of his head. Questions still ran through his head, over and over again.

_________________________________________

 

Monday is my favorite day of the week Jong-in sarcastically thought as he arrived at the classroom just in time for attendance. “Jong-in Huang” Mr. Kang announced. “Here!” Jong-in said. Jong-in quickly made to his seat but just before he sat down, he takes a short glimpse at the new girl. During that short glimpse, Jong-in noticed her pale skin, light brown, curly hair and her daydreamer’s eyes.

“Jong-in, I asked you a question!” Sehun said, a little too loudly. Jong-in looked at Sehun with a dazed expression. Sehun laughed in his monotone laugh. He nudged D.O. and said, “Jong-in looks retarded!” Jong-in had a quick change of expression and kicked Sehun’s chair, making Sehun almost fall to the ground. “Whoa!” he said aloud, trying to regain the chair’s original center of gravity. Sehun mouthed playfully. Jong-in rolled his eyes and leaned his elbows on the table.

Mr. Kang finished taking the attendance and stood up. “Jong-in” he started, catching Jong-in’s full attention, “Since you’re not going to learn, instead of detention with Mr. Lee, you’re now officially part of the choir!” Jong-in sat up straight, his eyes widened. “WHAT!?” he shouted, “WHY?” Daesung ignored his questions. “Jamie, that goes for you too. We wouldn’t want Jong-in junior in this class” Daesung joked. Everyone burst into laughter except Jong-in and Jamie.

Jong-in walked to his lockers to put away his books. He didn’t know what to feel about Daesung’s punishment, in all honesty. For one, he wasn’t the type who would go for singing but since the new girl was in it too, he didn’t think it was going to be too bad. “Jong-in” a voice called. Jong-in turned around in dread to see Key standing behind him. “My parents said yes, we’ll see you and your family for dinner Saturday evening” Key said. With that, he gracefully walked off, back to his SHINee group.

Jong-in was longing for this all day. He went to the boys’ locker room to get changed and headed to the field. “Jong-in!” Taeyang shouted. “Good afternoon Mr. Dong” Jong-in greeted. “Ah, Jong-in!” Luhan greeted along with Chanyeol and Baekhyun. “Ready for the game next month?” Xiumin joined in. Jong-in smiled widely and nodded.

===

The day was over but it wasn’t over for Jong-in. He dragged himself towards the music room. He arrived outside the room but before he entered, he heard piano playing. He put his head slowly against the door making sure he did not accidentally open the door and listened. Jong-in closed his eyes. The flawlessness of the way the person played was beautiful. It was soft and beautiful and the music played in his ears with a chill running down his spine.

Jong-in opened his eyes and peeked through the small window on the door to see the back of the person facing him. He squint his eyes to take closer look. The person suddenly stopped playing and stood up. Jong-in quickly ducked before the person saw him and sat on the floor. “Jong-in” Mr. Kang said looking at Jong-in with a confused look, “What are you doing on the floor?” “N-n-nothing” Jong-in replied immediately. He stood up and followed closely behind Mr. Kang inside the music room.

“Jamie!” Mr. Kang said with joy, “You’re really early” “The earlier the better, Mr. Kang!” she replied. He smiled and nodded and ushered Jong-in to stand beside her. “Okay” Daesung started, “Before we start your “punishment”, I’ll just tell you why you’re here.” Jong-in and Jamie sighed and groaned in unison, causing Daesung to laugh. “No, I mean why you’re really here.” The two looked at Daesung with full attention.

Daesung smiled and said, “We don’t have a lot of people in our choir group since a lot of them have graduated already.” Both Jong-in and Jamie listened carefully. “So, I wanted to make use of the time you both take in detention with Mr. Lee and Mr. Choi.” Daesung finished. The two sighed again. There was no convincing Mr. Kang, that’s for sure; even though Jong-in had given up the thought the moment Mr. Kang announced the so-called punishment.