Wild Night Out? - Not So Much

Blaze

“Tao,” Donghae leaned against the table, “you know better and because you do, you can make a change. Just because you came from your parents does not make you like them. You’ve worked hard; you’re definitely changing for the better.”

“But what if…I lose the reason why I wanted to be good? I might become bad again.”

“Tao…”

“I’m not hungry.”

Donghae watched Tao get up and head straight for his room. Just like before he listened to the door close. What had gotten into Tao this time?

~_____~

“You ate kind of fast. You’re in such a rush to leave?” Kris asked as he walked Namjoo out.

“I didn’t eat earlier. I was hungry,” Namjoo replied. “I could ditch you any other time. Why are you turning this into one of them?”

Kris snorted, “Did you drive?”

“Yea.”

“Why? Next time, don’t. I’ll take you home next time and the time after that and the time after that.”

Kris had never felt so lighthearted before. He was really happy.

He caught Namjoo’s eyes when she turned to look up at him.

“What?”

“Nothing.” She turned away and pulled her keys out of her pocket.

“You really want to leave soon, don’t you?” Kris asked.

He wished they could talk longer; that Namjoo would want to stay with him like he wanted to stay in her company. It made his heart gush when he thought of them sitting together doing nothing, but talking. It was a warming thought.

Although he still didn’t know why Namjoo had hugged him earlier, he wished she’d show him more attention and affection. Kris had felt important to her and he wanted to always feel like he was on her mind. Wouldn’t it be so great if they were mutual?

“Namjoo,” he called when they approached her car and shamelessly asked, “can I at least kiss you?”

The keys jingled against each other and he thought she’d probably say something mean to him and just drive off. Namjoo though, slowly turned around to look up at him. They stood immersed in silence with his eyes searching her face for permission. He couldn’t read her. Namjoo just stood there staring back at him before her hand eventually hesitated then he felt her touch his arm. Her grasp was light and soft just like how she’d held him earlier.

Kris’ blood rushed and his heart raced. As soon as Namjoo tip-toed he slid his hand across her face to pull her into a kiss. The aftertaste of their dinner drifted into his mouth as he exhiberently and slowly kissed her. And he couldn’t be any more thrilled that Namjoo was kissing him.

Their noses brushed when he pulled back. His eyes rested on her lips and her warm breath still meeting with his lips. He wanted more, so much more of her that he wanted to whine in desperation but he knew she was tired.

“I should let you go,” he said, “before I take you back with me.”

A smile lighted his lips and he resorted to giving her a quick peck and another peck on her forehead before stepping back. He felt so enlightened that it didn’t matter what rude words she’d say to him anymore. He liked her and he knew that somewhere in the cold exterior of her heart, she had him there too.

“Thanks for showing up,” he told, “drive back carefully and get some rest. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Those almost empty eyes of her glanced at him before she said, “Goodnight, Kris.”

And again, he swore he’d never been so happy before, as he watched her drive off.

~_____~

Suho was staring out his window in a daze before his phone started ringing. Namjoo was in the parking lot waiting for him.

“Can we get something to eat first?” Suho asked upon entering the car.

“You didn’t eat yet?”

“I wasn’t feeling well.”

Namjoo eyed him before driving off. “How was lunch?”

“You still need to ask?”

“It can’t be that bad.”

Suho almost rolled his eyes.  

“Did you have dinner yet?”

Namjoo quietly nodded.

“Then, I guess I’ll eat alone. Lets just stop by some fast food restaurant,” Suho suggested. “I’m not sure what we can accomplish at night, but we might as well give it a try. You still ok?”

“Of course,” Namjoo nodded. “I’ll be fine.”

“Did you rest before coming?”

Again, she quietly nodded.

Heaving a loud sigh Suho leaned back into his seat, “I really wonder what Donghae expects from us now. I’m getting kind of tired.”

“Me too.”

Suho turned to look at her and smiled before sitting straight up. “Should we go on vacation somewhere after this? Just two of us and we leave everyone behind?”

Namjoo shot him an amused glance, “To where?”

“The Bahamas? Or Paris,” Suho sounded excited. “A trip for two would be nice.”

Namjoo snorted and repeated, “Trip for two.”

“Of course!” Suho nodded. “We deserve it.”

“We sure do,” Namjoo quietly added.

After stuffing himself he made Namjoo pull over to the side of the road and took over the driving. He wasn’t surprised that Namjoo slept the rest of the way to Wonju. It was around 10 p.m. when they arrived in the city and Suho cruised the night streets before he found some place safe to leave her car. If anything were to happen they decided they’d take a cab and make a detour before coming back for her car.

The scent of a fresh night air wafted toward his nose. No stars strung about in the sky leaving them with the safety of the streetlights. A fair amount of other cars were parked alongside the street so that assured Suho that they were in public safety. Some very quiet strangers were roaming the street, but the busier crowds were nearer downtown where the bars were.

It was, Suho deemed, a very still night.

“It’s kind of chilly tonight,” Suho commented when Namjoo closed the car door. She was currently tucking something into her jacket when he turned.

“You gonna last in that shirt?”

Suho started down at his t-shirt meant for comfort, “Why? What about it?”

“Who knows how long we’re gonna be out.”

Suho haughtily smiled and patted his arms loudly, “I got me muscles to keep me warm.”

Namjoo raised her brow before walking by, “Come on. Lets walk around for a bit.”

He turned to follow her and together they walked the barren streets. From the few restaurants they passed they could hear music playing from overhead vibrating through the windows. The glare from headlights of oncoming cars blinded Suho a few times and he wondered how many times throughout the night he’d have to deal with it.

There was a late night food stand still running business and they stopped to snack before continuing their business. A few men sitting at an outside table in front of a convenience store were drinking and chatting about the recent news about some shooting somewhere. It wasn’t very long before the booming of music seemed to pound the night air to life when they neared the busy bars and clubs crowded in one district.

Various lights danced on the concrete from the doors. Lines of party persons were extending beyond the night and Suho watched the bodyguard check their I.D.s before allowing them in. He noticed that some of them were already dancing in their spots outside while waiting to get inside. How excited they were, he thought, as he and Namjoo calmly passed by.

Unlike young adults who were out for a wild night he was on some serious business. Distracting himself would be a violation of his code to work. Turning away from the extending line he stared down the busy street where drunkards were running among the streets while annoyed drivers blasted their horns at them. Security and the cops were nowhere to be seen. According to analysis, Suho determined that no one had called the cops just yet.

Again turning away from the sight he peered around. This whole neighborhood was corrupted by party goers, some innocent and some, not so much.

“You think the party just started?” Namjoo quietly asked.

“Almost barely, but it’s going to be packed quick,” Suho answered. “We should stay on watch for a little while. I bet some jerk here knows something about what we’re looking for.”

They walked through the whole district almost twice before finally deciding to enter one of the clubs. Inside, the music was even louder. Suho felt like his ears might get blasted off. He could almost barely hear the screaming of the ladies on the dance floor. There were some customers calmly sitting at tables with drinks and chatting their night away, but they didn’t stay long in those areas.

Stepping away from the quiet side he and Namjoo peered around cautiously. Most of the clubbers were dressed fancily and semi-formaly. He and Namjoo definitely stood out in the crowd. Whether anyone would know what they were up to was something he couldn’t decide.

Nothing looked suspicious in the club and he noted that there were security guards closely roaming throughout the building. By midnight he and Namjoo left the club for some fresh air outside. His ears were finally at peace again and he never thought music could be so frightful and painful to his ears. There was still a ringing inside his eardrums he couldn’t relieve himself from.

“I remember why I hate places like these now,” Suho muttered gently knocking his fist against his ears. “The damn DJ I tell you…”

Namjoo cut him off by grabbing his arm, “Suho, look.”

She gestured her head toward the opposite street to see a woman hurrying through the crowd heading toward the clubs. They seemingly glanced at her curiously, but did nothing. That exasperated expression on her face caught Suho at once. She seemed to be clutching onto her thin dress as well and was running oddly. Only when the crowd got dense did he notice that she was wearing one heel. Alarmed, he quickly raised his head to see a head of full hair bobbing through the crowd after her somewhat slowly so as not to raise suspicion amongst the others.

“Come on,” Namjoo started toward the street, but Suho quickly pulled her back.

“You distract him, I’ll get her,” Suho suggested.

“Vice versa,” Namjoo clarified, “I get her, you distract him.”

Quickly nodding toward each other in comprehension they separated.

Anxiously glancing for any oncoming cars Suho dashed across the street and almost tackled the crowd. Barely wriggling his way through he finally cut through with some curses shot at him. Neverminding them he turned toward his left to see a focused expression on a somewhat tan man’s face and peered down his right to see Namjoo slipping into an open alley.

Counting down the seconds to his arrival Suho jumped out of the crowd ever so awkwardly that the perpetrator had no obvious choice, but to bump into him.

“Whoa!” Suho raised his voice exaggeratedly. “Hey there man, slow down a little!”

“Move it, I’m not cutting in line.” The man uncivily shot his arm out to push Suho aside.

Pushing himself against the man Suho threw his arms out, “No, apologize to me first!”

The man shot him a glare, “What’s your problem?”

Suho opened his mouth only to find himself being shoved back into the people watching crudely.

“Hey! You sure you don’t want to go in! I heard this club is wildely awesome, dude!” Suho screamed shamelessly.

When the man was far from sight Suho turned to see the stares he was receiving and smiled awkwardly, raising his hand up in apology. Turning away to regain himself with a cough he hurried down the street to look for Namjoo.

~_____~

Suho could be trusted under any circumstance when it involved some kind of diversion. Without worrying for him Namjoo hid in a dark alley with grass growing through the cracks in the ground. Her eyes remained concentrated on the sidewalk and as the escaping woman appeared Namjoo immediately grabbed her. The woman screamed as expected and Namjoo immediately clasped a hand around .

There was fear certain in her eyes and short tears streaking her face. The black eyeshadow she’d worn was heavily smudged, perhaps from some struggle she’d had.

“Shh…” Namjoo held a finger up to her lips to silence her and glanced behind her before looking back at the woman, “stay behind me.”

Gently pushing her into spot so that she’d be less visible from the streetlights Namjoo remained on the look out for Suho. When someone dashed by with a brush of wind Namjoo turned away with her heart palpitating fast inside her chest. She was almost nervous and was unsure if they’d be caught.

Luckily, he went by without stopping and Suho appeared almost a minute later. Moving further into the alley so that they’d be away from sight they hushed the crying girl.

“Are you ok?” Namjoo quietly asked.

The woman nodded, but cried heavily from relief and shock. Her hair was tousled and in the dark Namjoo couldn’t verify how old she seemed to be. Her head was always lowered as she painstakingly sobbed. Before continuing with their information gathering they waited for her to calm.

After about a long ten minute wait Suho asked in a hushed whisper, “Can you tell us what happened?”

She slightly hiccupped as she answered, “I came with my friend. We met some men who bought us drinks and spoke about some corporation,” she sobbed again, “we could get into after graduation. I…I can’t remember the rest.”

Namjoo and Suho glanced at each other. Whatever it was, it was important that it be solved anyhow.

“Is your friend still there?” Namjoo asked.

The girl’s huge tears dropped as she nodded before bawling.

“I left her…when I woke up…he was…they…they were…” her voice cracked and she resumed crying.

“The men who talked to you, how do they look like?” Namjoo asked, an urgency underlying her tone.

The girl shook her head.

“Please think carefully,” Namjoo urged, “in order to help your friend, we need to know what these men look like.”

After a minute of recollecting herself she replied, “I don’t know…maybe he had two earrings and a small scar on his face.”

The girl cried some more tears before she seemed to get her senses back, “But who are you guys?”

“The good guys,” Suho replied with a soft smile.

~_____~

Namjoo helped wipe off some of the woman’s makeup before they decided it was best to her home safely. When they returned to the district Suho along with Namjoo finally joined the line waiting for entrance into the club. As his eyes skimmed the people he wondered if any of them were part of Hyukjae’s trafficking ring. He silently hoped not, but part of him hoped they were.

A bright disco light spinning around from the ceiling flashed various colors across his eyes as he glanced around upon entering. He followed Namjoo up a spiral staircase where they could get a better view of the crowd below. There were heads bobbing wildly and ecstatic smiles plastered on innocent faces.

How many of these might be victim to some kind of menace that night?

The music pounded louder and louder into Suho’s ears, but he didn’t have the energy to complain. 


***Just a head's up: Majority of this & the upcoming chapter will be SuJoo's.