Tao's Effort

Blaze

 

~_____~

They both thanked the waiter when he brought their food. Chorong’s mother had taught her to never thank the waiter due to the fact that it was just their job and they were meant to serve. Chorong never took part in obeying her mother.

“Eat well!” Suho’s voice brought her back to life. “Travelling back and forth sure takes a lot of energy!” he smiled broadly when her eyes landed on him and she wondered how this perfect man had been built.

She just nodded and glanced down at her plate only to look up when Suho placed some of his side dishes on her platter.

“Whatever happened at work today, just never mind it,” Suho still smiled. “You either take it, or leave it. That’s how it is, isn’t it?” 

Why did he always know what to say? His words hit her on the spot and Chorong couldn’t find the will to pick up the utensils. She just sat there completely numb to the spinning world. Chorong finally admitted she was having a hard time after all. No one was pressuring her, but she was feeling the pressure because she wasn’t as competitive or outgoing as the others. The smart instilled in the others didn’t belong in her. And that made it hard.

“I thought you were a cheery person,” Suho said, “if I have to work with another person like Namjoo, I think I’ll go crazy.”

And that forced a tiny laugh out of Chorong. Neither spoke next and she realized that she was letting him do all the talking. It was rude of her.

“I’m sorry,” she quietly apologized with head still down.

“For what?”

Chorong thought hard. She didn’t have a lot to be sorry for, but she did have things she felt sorry for, such as not being strong or agile enough. She wasn’t a good partner.

“I’m not purposely stressing out,” Chorong told, “I don’t feel like I deserve to be on the team.”

“Me too.”

Chorong’s head shot up and she stared at Suho. His eyes were kind, they shone, and they told her he was determined and confident. All that she lacked, so how could he feel the same way she did? He was lying to her, wasn’t he?

“When it was just Donghae, Namjoo, and I, I was the most useless. We didn’t have a lot of chases like we do now, but they also took part of doing the work behind the scenes. But even as inferior as I felt, I was able to put down some of the burden on their shoulders, if it’s not a lot, it’s still some. Believe me, when you know you can alleviate the burden, it feels good and they’re also thankful for you. So, Chorong, know that you do help your team. In the long run you will see the difference,” Suho helped. “And trust me; your team has helped lessen the stress we would have if it’s just us three. Our roles here are to eat well and use our brains well. We don’t do frontline work, but our part in this is still crucial. You understand what I’m saying, right?”

Did she?

“Chorong,” Suho called out.

“Thank you, Suho,” Chorong said without a smile, “I know you’re helping, and you’re offering a sense of support. Really.” She took a break then continued, “My family has spent generations in the line of criminal justice work. They’ve always held the most powerful positions. When you’re continuously compared and talked about, it makes things difficult, especially when connections and power are all that matters. I feel insecure wherever it is I go. I’m the first in my family to hold a position lower than a general’s.”

“That’s cowardice, Chorong. I think you being here means you have more ability than you think. You might be able to view more of your power if you stop thinking you’re always inferior. I don’t think anyone on our team is inferior. Wasn’t it you who kept Cho Chin Ho in his car while we waited for backup? Wasn’t it you who courageously saved Namjoo? And it was also you who arrested those crooks in Incheon. I think, that’s quite a lot,” Suho nodded. “Give yourself time and you’ll see all that you can do.”

Time…would it serve her well? Would it make a difference?

“I didn’t know you had this side to you. You always seemed…well…kind of happy,” Suho talked on then laughed with a smile. “The things we learn about each other every day, huh?”

And Chorong felt a small smile lips. Suho was a good talker.

They ate in a happier manner and when she walked out she wished she would have taken her time with her meal. Chorong watched Suho walk off to his car, but before getting in he waved to her once more. The bright smile on his face never failed to leave her blushing. Chorong made sure to smile even bigger and suddenly couldn’t look forward for the days ahead on his team.

Suho could teach her, give her a few tips here and there, and Chorong hoped she could help him overstep his boundary of depression. And maybe, just maybe she could make him fall in love with her.

~_____~

“Aish…” Donghae moaned and ruffled his hair when he stopped at a red light.

At least they were in Seoul, which was all that mattered. The evening sky was kicking in and the moon was starting its way up. The street lights were starting to glow in the dark as well as the headlights of incoming and ongoing cars. Donghae wished he was one of those cars heading home.

With a sigh he glanced over at Victoria who still seemed asleep. Then he noticed her blinking her eyes before shifting into a straighter position in her seat. Victoria glanced around a little confused before she looked over at him.

“Great,” Donghae greeted, “you slept well, didn’t you?”

Victoria just frowned at him before rubbing her eyes. “It was more like a lousy nap cause someone can’t drive smoothly.”

Donghae snorted belittled by her. “Be glad you slept in a comfortable car.”

“As if yours is any better than mine.” She slightly glanced at him from the corner of her narrowed eyes.

“Where’s your place?”

“What?”

“Your home,” he slightly raised his voice.

With a slight roll of her eyes she told him the name of her apartment village to which Donghae groaned.

“All the way on the other side of the city?” he questioned irritated. “Why the heck do you live so far away?”

“What right do you have to complain when you forced me into your car?” Victoria spat back. “I can’t believe you don’t know how to shut up for one minute.”

“Tsh! Really,” Donghae muttered.

Victoria made a face at him before turning away. “Even my aunt’s hyperactive dog is better behaved.”

“Dog?” Donghae asked loudly. “You’re comparing me to a lame thing as a dog?”

“Oops, you heard?”

The sarcasm he detected in her voice tensed his nerves and he purposely braked really hard at the next red light. Victoria’s torso lunged forward and if it weren’t for her seat belt she would have collided into the headboard. A satisfied smile curved Donghae’s lips while Victoria leaned back into her seat and rubbed her chest.

“Why, aren’t you freaking playful?” Victoria asked repugnantly.

“Don’t you think?” he was full of sarcasm. “Should we do it again?”

“Not if you wanna see yourself under your wheels,” Victoria forced a smile onto her face.

Donghae meekly glared at her before suddenly stepping on the accelerator forcing them both to lurch forward.

“Jerk,” Victoria hissed.

“Jack?” Donghae purposely asked to annoy her.

Victoria’s face strained before he bit back a laugh and sharply turned into the lot of her apartment building.

“Well, I suppose there’s no real need to thank you for a ride when you forced it upon yourself,” Victoria said before getting off. “Drive slowly back,” she emphasized the word slowly before she half slammed the door and walked into the building.

He snorted after her and drove off. Donghae was ready to drop dead when he walked through the door of his apartment. However, what he first smell caused him to freeze by the doormat. Tilting his head up he sniffed the air like a dog before rushing in. Donghae almost slid all the way down the corridor in his socks and was forced to grab onto the table chair to stop himself. He half collided against the table and spotted Tao moving around in the kitchen frivolously. Donghae’s jaw dropped when he watched Tao dump a cup of water into the heated pan of burnt food and watch smoke swirl up in a mass.

“What are you doing!?” Donghae shouted.

Tao abruptly turned around surprised before Donghae took three large steps and stared down at the burned noodles he had been trying to cook.

“What is this!?” Donghae’s eyes burned into the pan.

“Oh…I…” Tao stuttered before pointing over to a sheet of paper he had printed from the computer.

Donghae turned back to frown at Tao before he stepped forward to grab it. Once he scanned his eyes over it he saw that Tao had been trying to cook up a pan of stir fried noodles.

He was surprised at seeing Tao’s effort in the kitchen, but devastated with what had been done to his food and his pan. In the end he could only bellow out a loud sigh before running a hand up his face flustered.

“Why are you trying to cook?” Donghae turned to look at Tao. “You could’ve ordered something…or did you use up all your allowance already?”

“I didn’t!” Tao defended.

“Look, I’m glad you’re in the kitchen for once,” Donghae said honestly, “but don’t touch things when you don’t know how. You could’ve asked.”

“Oh…”

Donghae quietly sighed unsure if he’d caused Tao to feel guilty. “Were you trying to make dinner?”  

It took a while before Tao said, “Actually, no.”

Well that easily struck Donghae. “Then why?”

“I wanted to…” Tao’s face became something Donghae never saw before, or rather it as something Donghae never thought he’d see on someone like Tao. His face became flushed and he became really ill at ease. Donghae watched and waited quietly. “Make lunch.”

“Lunch?” Donghae raised an eyebrow. “For yourself?”

“Do you have to ask?” Tao blurted almost defensively.

Donghae nodded blankly, “Yes, cause you’re using my food.”

Tao became really quiet and Donghae noticed him fiddling with his fingers. What was it that could make a stubborn one like Tao become so hesitant and timid?

“I just wanted to thank Namjoo cause she…cause she made me breakfast once.” Tao lied.

Donghae’s eyebrow shot up. “Namjoo?”

Tao quickly nodded. Was his team finally falling into place? He was glad it finally seemed like his assistants were getting along.

“Alright then,” Donghae nodded. “I’ll help you.”

~_____~

Namjoo loudly sneezed into her arm and heard Kris slightly snort behind her.

“You gave someone a reason to talk bad about you?” Kris questioned.

Namjoo turned around with a slight glare before shoving his plate in front of him.

“Ah…I want some water too. In an extra-large cup too,” Kris specified. “I saw that you had a big one. I want that. And it must be that.”

Inviting him over for dinner seemed to have been the wrong move.  It felt more like she had invited hell into her kitchen. Namjoo bit her bottom lip to keep cool and opened the cupboard. She filled the cup with water and set down in front of him loudly.

“Now is that how a host should treat her guest?” Kris looked up at her.

“Are you here on a mission to irritate me or eat?” Namjoo questioned.

“Well, why am I always irritating you?” Kris asked. “I just asked for a few things.”

Namjoo groaned at the back of and sat down.

“It was you who gave me the invitation to come.”

“And not be a lousy guest.” Namjoo muttered.

Kris snorted at her. “Well did you expect a romantic setting?”

Namjoo shot a glare at him and watched a smile grow over his lips satisfied.

“If so, you could have set out candles, some wine, and decorate your bed with roses.” He shrugged. “And we would have kicked off after dessert.”

“Should I punch you in the face?”

“Or try to flip me over and break my back?” Kris mocked.

Namjoo bit her lip to refrain herself. He laughed joyfully and continued eating what she’d spent the last half hour cooking. It had been a while since she’d had company, someone to talk to inside her apartment. And suddenly she recalled the warmth she had undesirably felt when he kissed her.

“What?” Kris’ voice broke into her thoughts.

She first pressed her lips together firmly before interlocking her fingers. “It’s usually quiet with just me here and I usually have meals alone. I forget noise when I don’t have it. Thanks for coming.”

A smile broke out uncontrollably onto his face and he didn’t resist the urge to hold it back. “Then have me over every day.”

“I think not.”

He snorted at her again and after they ate she did the dishes before following him to the door. Kris abruptly turned around and Namjoo found herself shuffling back surprised.

“Ah…didn’t you say you were going to flip me over your shoulder?” he asked.

“What?” Namjoo asked confused before shaking her head. “I didn’t say something stupid like that.” Then her eyes darted aside. Perhaps she could try to pull a trick on him. Turning to him she smiled and slightly tilted her head, “Wanna try?”

He raised a brow before she turned and grabbed his arm. “Relax a little, will you?”

“On second thought, I don’t think this is safe,” he muttered into her ear.

Namjoo tightened her grip on his wrist before she bent her position, lowered her legs, and forced her strength into her back. Within a few flat seconds he flew over her and landed on the floor with his back. She slightly laughed before he groaned in pain and tried to reach his back. Kris wriggled his legs around and Namjoo suddenly worried if she’d injured him.

“I’m sorry!” she quickly apologized getting on her knees to help hoist him up. “Are you ok?”

Kris grabbed her arm and used her as a lever to sit up before they were facing each other and Namjoo realized he’d somewhat tricked her. She didn’t break his back after all.

“Little liar,” Namjoo name-called before she started to get up, but he held her in spot and tilted his face while observing her up close.

“You’re not that pretty after all,” was all he said.

Her expression became blank before he suddenly patted the top of her head with his hand, then smiled and stood.

“Good night,” he told and got up to walk out.

~_____~

Tao lay in bed awake suddenly excited for tomorrow’s forthcoming events. He had seen Namjoo tearing up in Suho’s car. She seemed very open around Suho and Donghae, and very closed up to everyone else. For some reason he felt like he wanted her to be the same way with him. They were on the same team after all. And if she could talk about her feelings the way she did with them, Tao, for once, thought it would be nice instead of them bickering all the time.

Besides, lately she seemed nicer to him and he wanted it to keep that way. He was suddenly weary and shy of bringing her lunch tomorrow, but he thought it would be a nice surprise. He wasn’t doing it in spite of paying her back as he’d told Donghae, it was just something he wanted to do.

In all his life, Tao would never imagine himself being nice. Yet, here he was under the influence of some kind of spell he couldn’t dictate. It was strange, but it made him feel giddy. And that was something to feel happy for, right? 


***Well that was a very happy chapter, wasn't it? ^^ Some sweet before all the tension again!

***Sorry guys for such a late update! ;A; I've been trying to finish Glass Slippers, but it's taking me longer than I thought ^^; So I thought I should finish up the next chapter for Blaze! And here it is! Hope you enjoyed! Though the only one we're missing here is Lay :"|