'Don't Tell Him'

Blaze

~_____~

“Suho, Namjoo,” Donghae called when he stepped back into the room, “come see me in my office.”

They were standing in his office not a minute later. A sense of urgency was spreading throughout Donghae and he knew he didn’t have much time left before Victoria might bust him.

“Have you discovered Eunhyuk and Hyukjae’s location yet?”

“Donghae, it’s only been a few days…” Suho started.

“Have you or have you not?” Donghae raised his voice.

“No.” Suho sounded defeated, but with a face of concern.

“Victoria’s going to keep you here so she can keep her eyes on you two,” Donghae explained.

“Aren’t you jumping to conclusions too fast?” Namjoo asked.

“I’m not saying this because I’m paranoid,” Donghae glanced at her with warning. “There’s a reason she’s looking for loansharks. Victoria went to Pohang two days ago. Either she found out something there or her secretary discovered something and they’re keeping it from us.”

Suho and Namjoo turned to glance at each other.

“There were debts under Eunhyuk’s file,” Donghae went on. “She must have found out something linking to that, which means we don’t have much time.”

He glanced up at the two of them from behind his desk.

“You’re going to have to move out over night and come to work during the daytime so Victoria won’t suspect you two.”

“What?” Suho questioned shocked.

“We have to find where he is before Victoria gets any closer to where we are on this case,” Donghae impatiently told. “I want to find him and ask why he did this to me and I don’t want anyone else to in.”

Suho and Namjoo very quietly stared at him.

“Victoria mentioned someone named Lee Hyun earlier,” Donghae continued. “She’ll probably have you two look for him through the database. If you discover anything, come to me first.”

Suho glanced at Namjoo before stepping forward, “Can’t Tao come with me? She can replace Tao in the other group.”

He felt Namjoo try to pull him back, but refused to budge. Donghae looked up at him confused about what nonsense he was saying.

“Namjoo’s still exhausted, making her work nighttime then daytime will take a toll on her,” Suho explained.

Donghae glanced at Namjoo.

“No, I’ll go out,” Namjoo stubbornly assured. “Tao doesn’t know what’s going on, he won’t be able to be of help. Isn’t that right? If you send him out there, it’ll worsen what we have now. Consider that.”

“Are you sure?” Donghae asked.

Namjoo seemingly glanced at Suho before turning to him and nodded.

~_____~

“Are you sure about this?” Suho hurried after Namjoo as they left Donghae’s office. “We’re on shift for 24 hours.”

Namjoo shrugged him off, “Do you think I don’t know the meaning of day and night?”

“Namjoo,” Suho quickened his pace so that he might stop her, “you’re exhausted. Look at you.”

“Look at what? I always have these bags under my eyes, so what?”

“Not until recently,” Suho shook his head. “Namjoo, think about it. Ever since the brothel incident you’ve been through the worse. I don’t think your mentality is able to withstand anymore stress. Your body’s going to break down if you don’t get proper rest.”

“I’ve had enough rest!” Namjoo slightly raised her voice and stopped to look at him.

Suho stared back at the fire in her eyes almost speechless with her sudden outburst. He had no intention of getting on her nerves, but he’d been taking note of the tiredness in her face the past weeks. Namjoo didn’t seem to be getting better and he was even more worried especially since her blackout incident.

He wanted to tell Donghae to take things easy so they might be able to recuperate before starting again, but none of the events were on their side. The war going on between Victoria and Donghae only worsened everything else.

“There you are,” a voice broke the quietness and Suho turned to see Lay leading the team toward them.

His eyes averted to Chorong’s downcast face before he quickly turned back to look at Lay. He felt nervous and a little awkward.

“We’re going to stop by the combat center to sign some weapons over and head out to relax and get lunch,” Lay explained. “Do you want to join us?”

Lunch…together with them.

That meant Chorong would be there as well…

He didn’t want to go and put himself in an awkward position, so he turned to look at Namjoo. If she went he would go too.

“What do you think?” He asked.

“I gotta take Tao back.” Namjoo told.

Suho felt his mind blank out, “You do?”

He didn’t recall Donghae saying anything of that sort.

“I can drive you two back,” Suho said.

“No, we’ll take a cab. You go ahead and have lunch with them.”

“What?” Suho almost felt his lips tremble.

All of a sudden he felt somewhat panicky inside. He didn’t want to go without someone he was close with.

“Me? Alone?”

Namjoo looked at him weird, as if she’d already forgotten about what they talked about yesterday.

“It’s just lunch Suho.”

Lunch…like it was no big deal, because it was a big deal. He wanted to shake Namjoo so that she’d understand his position.

“Lets go to the combat unit and then leave,” Namjoo nodded her head to the right.

Suho watched her walk ahead with them with his jaw barely dropping.

~_____~

Namjoo would speak with Tao over lunch and have everything over with. She couldn’t wait to clear that off her shoulders so that she would be able to relax. With Donghae’s orders, she’d be busier than ever. She’d be totally grateful to have one less thing to worry about.

While waiting by the doorway for the others to show their IDs and sign papers in order to obtain a gun, she eyed Suho who was standing far apart from them. Namjoo only turned when she felt someone gently grab her arm and looked up to see Kris before allowing him to lead her around the corner.

He still looked as happy as ever.

“Do you think we can have dinner tonight?” He asked.

“Dinner?”

He nodded ecstatic. “Is it ok?”

Perhaps after talking to Tao she would have some time to spare.

“Sure.”

~_____~

Donghae found Victoria sitting in the library reading something she’d grabbed from the shelves when he walked in. Even if she saw him she never lifted her head up. Donghae wanted to laugh in spite of her, but didn’t. What really bothered him was why she’d gone to his hometown.

Plopping down onto the couch he stuffed his hands into his pockets with his eyes on her. Victoria, still, never looked his way. She flipped a page and turned her face away.

Donghae slightly snorted.

“That won’t make me go away. Not until you give me an answer I want to hear,” Donghae started.

Victoria still refrained from saying anything or making movement.

“Pohang,” Donghae began, “what did you do there?”

Victoria flipped another page again. The paper crinkled a bit massaging the ear with a high pitched fold.

“I know you hear me.”

Remaining stubborn she refused to respond.

Donghae lightly gritted his teeth growing more irritated by the second. He knew she would refuse to react to him unless he did something.

Standing up he pulled the book away from her, tossed it onto the couch, and stared down at her waiting for her to say something. Victoria’s long hair trailed over her shoulder blocking her face from his view.

Placing his hand onto the table he continued very stiffly, “I asked you a question.”

“Really?” Victoria twisted around to look up at him. “Did you expect an answer? I remember those dozen times you never answered my questions.”

She was trying to get on his nerves and it was working extremely well. For some reason Donghae couldn’t tolerate her behavior toward him, even when he was well aware that she was upset and only spoke the truth.      

He was already troubled and stressed, yet Victoria just had to worsen everything.

Grabbing her lower arm he pulled her up and toward him.

“No games, Victoria,” Donghae hissed into her face. “What did you do in Pohang?”

“Why? Are you scared I discovered something?” Victoria glanced him over teasingly. “Is it because you have something to hide?”

Donghae gritted his teeth. He watched Victoria run her eyes over him again and laugh in a contradictory manner.

“You might want to let me go,” Victoria suggested, “it might look like you want to make out with me.”

At the sudden comment Donghae let go of her roughly. She’d made him flustered, yet he was still annoyed that she was keeping something from him and he was irritated that he couldn’t get it out of her.

Donghae could only stare ahead when Victoria stepped by. If he became rough with her even more he might wound her.

“You’re interesting, Donghae,” Victoria turned her head back to look at him. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

~_____~

Tao glanced longingly over at Namjoo who was staring out the window of the cab they were in. He wanted to reach over and her hair or have some kind of conversation, but she seemed dazed ever since they got into the car. He still didn’t know why Namjoo had said she had to take him back. Donghae hadn’t said anything pertaining that. Or was it that Namjoo had some kind of plan for him?

At the mere thought he felt his heart pick up pace. They were alone though, and that was very important to him. Finally, he had her to himself. This time he’d be careful not to sidestep the line between them so that she’d be comfortable. Tao had to take Donghae’s words into consideration and not squeeze her personal space. Losing Namjoo’s interest was the last thing he wanted to do.

As soon as they arrived at her apartment he followed her up. He wanted to ask why they’d stopped at her place instead of Donghae’s, but chose not to. This silence between them was kind of sweet, he thought, and he wanted to keep it that way.

How many times a day did he get to experience such sweetness with her? It meant she trusted him, didn’t it?

Tao was elated and silently proud.

“Are you hungry?” Namjoo asked walking in.

Namjoo was going to cook for him?

He immediately brightened up. He’d wanted to taste her cooking again. It made him feel so good to be alive.

“Yes.”

“Is there anything in particular you want?” Namjoo turned to look at her.

Tao’s heart palpitated when her eyes landed on him and he wanted to hug her forever, but remained where he was. Her face, her eyes, her nose, her lips, and her everything froze him up. It felt so good that he was in her view. The world, he knew, only spun around them now.

“Anything is fine,” Tao smiled and added, “anything you make is delicious.”

He felt himself blush when Namjoo glanced at his face again and thought he saw her slightly smile before turning away.

“Do you…do you want help?” Tao wondered.

“You can just go watch TV.”

“Why? I’m a good helper, aren’t I?” He wanted her eyes back on him. He wanted to hear her talk more with him.

Lately, he’d felt so deprived of her that he ached inside. Tao only realized that he’d missed her much.

“Ok,” Namjoo gave in and held out something toward him. “Wash these then.”

They ate and Tao smiled the entire time. He picked up conversation and he was even more elated when Namjoo replied. For a moment he thought she shared the same mutal feelings with him before recalling that damn shirt she’d given Kris. Yet, all that mattered was that he had her to himself right now and Kris was somewhere else.

After clearing up the table he took over the dishes and only searched around a moment later when he realized Namjoo was gone. He wanted to spend the rest of the afternoon with her and brag about it to Kris tomorrow. Tao wanted to see the jealousy flame up in his face. The mere imagery of it in his head made him chuckle.

“Where did you go?” Tao questioned when Namjoo stepped out from the bathroom.

Namjoo pressed her lips together and remained where she stood, far from him.

“Tao,” she started, “do you think…you can stop liking me?”

The happy emotions cleared off his face and he fully shifted to face her. He could hear the water rushing behind him out of the faucet, but his eyes zoomed in on her.

What was she talking about?

He felt his lips tremble, make movement in order to say something, but he said nothing. Panic and alarm rose through him. He could foresee himself experiencing something awful, something horrible he’d never experienced before. Tao knew he wasn’t ready for this.

He knew she was going to say something bad.

“I like you,” he blurted the words out in panic without thinking. “I like you, I really do. I’m sorry if I made you uncomfortable, but it’s only because I really like you. Namjoo, I really like you. I’m sorry.”

Namjoo closed her eyes and she took a breath, as if he’d overwhelmed her with his emotions.

“Tao,” Namjoo opened her eyes again and looked straight into his, “I’m pregnant.”

Suddenly he could no longer make out the sound of the running faucet behind him. No sound resounded into his ears or off his eardrums. He couldn’t even hear Namjoo nervously gritting her teeth before him.

His mind blanked and his blood rushed.

Without thinking he blurted, “Don’t tell him.”


***Uh-oh...Namjoo made the biggest mistake by going to Tao first. Remember he knows their 'little secret?' HaeToria are making the lives of their teams even more difficult with their little war