Meet & Greet

Blaze

 

“What team?” Namjoo questioned. “I wasn’t aware we were a team or ever worked as one.”

“Me too.” Suho agreed.

Tao eyed the two and turned to look at Donghae with what looked like another glare.

“Well from now on, we are,” Donghae spoke, “most of the time from now on it’ll be the four of us.” Donghae paused then continued, “A new team is joining us tomorrow morning.”

“What?” Suho frowned.

“Tomorrow?” Namjoo asked as if it was an absurd idea. “Since when do we work with others?”

“Starting tomorrow.” Donghae finished.

Namjoo felt the urge to roll her eyes.

“But who are they?” Suho calmly questioned.

“I’m not sure. I wasn’t specifically told.” Replied Donghae.

“I hope it’s not the cops,” Namjoo uttered, “I hate their ways. They take forever to make any move. Not only that, but they’re slow with emergencies as well.”

“You seem to know a lot.” Tao remarked.

“Of course I’d know better than you. Look at where you ended up.” Namjoo commented.

Tao began to jump to his feet, but Donghae quickly pressed him down.

“Namjoo!” Donghae scolded. “Watch your mouth. I won’t permit fighting between us.”

“Ugh…” Tao groaned. “She’s so annoying.”

Namjoo made a face at him.

“What the heck was I brought here for?” Tao questioned almost furiously. “To equal out the numbers with the other team?”

“No,” Donghae denied, “I wanted another member to work with us and maybe you could also enter the field to fight. Most of us only know guns and that makes us weak with combat. I thought you could also be of help to Namjoo. Martial arts require strategy, right? Tactical work requires too much of her staying here overnight.”

“So what?” Tao asked ignorantly. “You’re asking me to take half of her work?”

“Are you calling me incapable?” Namjoo asked Donghae with a tone of offense.

“Calm down, guys,” Donghae tried. “Working together would be much easier than you working alone. You’re the only one in this field, Namjoo.”

“What about Suho?” Namjoo pointed at Suho who looked almost lost for a second. “He’s the only one doing his job.”

“Analyzing situations isn’t as tiring as figuring out formation, location, estimating the number of peoples, and deciding when to attack.” Donghae tried to pinpoint the differences before turning back to Tao. “You fought a lot, didn’t you?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll leave the tactical work to you and Namjoo to deal with.”

“But what exactly are we doing?” Suho asked before Namjoo and Tao could bicker again. “I’m confused. I thought we were just focusing on drug trafficking. What’s with this new team? Is something going on?”

“I’m getting to that,” Donghae told patiently. “According to the drug trafficker we nailed, there’s a ring leader behind all this and he also controls a circle of human trafficking, which means we also need to turn our attention to that.”

“Human trafficking?” Namjoo repeated, her attention now on Donghae instead. “Like ion?”

“What else do you think that is?” Tao glanced at her.

“Are you always glaring, because if that’s how you always look like, I can’t help but feel sorry for you.” Namjoo retorted.

Tao made a face at her before Donghae spoke, “We’re going to nail them with the team coming tomorrow.”

“How long is this supposed to run on for?” the reasonable Suho wondered.

“Until we pin down that ring leader.” Donghae explained.

“Is there anything else?” Suho asked.

“Why?”

“It looks like there’s something else.”

Donghae stared at them before he almost lowered his eyes. “I saw Eunhyuk in one of the pictures our spy took.”

“Eunhyuk?” Suho repeated.

“Who’s that?” Tao wondered, but they ignored him.

“Yea,” Donghae nodded, “I’m going to see if we can find him along the way.”

“Are you ok?” Namjoo asked concerned.

“Of course,” Donghae stood, “I’m more worried about you two getting along right now. No fighting.”

“Please,” Namjoo rolled her eyes once more, “you think we’re kids?”

“You look too old to be considered even one.” Tao commented quietly and Namjoo shot him a hot glare in response.

“I don’t know. You two might be at each other’s necks sometime soon.” Donghae teased almost sarcastically then turned to Tao. “Follow me. I need to get you registered in our system so you can get your pay.” Before walking out of the room he turned to Suho and Namjoo, “Be prompt tomorrow.”

“Yes.” The two of them answered monotonously.

It was another white hallway they were walking through. Tao glanced around at the pale walls and turned to glance at Donghae who was now a few steps ahead. Scurrying to catch up to him Tao realized that he almost somewhat towered over him.

“So,” Tao began, “you never told me what this place is. Who are you guys? What do you do here?”

“This is the government hall,” Donghae started without turning to look at him as if Tao wasn’t any bit interesting at all. “The Blue House is located 15 miles east of here. This is the military intelligence unit. We handle lives and safety as well as guarantee the safety of the soldiers we send out to fight.”

Donghae took him down another hallway and throughout the open room Tao watched people sit in front of large computers with images of various scans of buildings sent from the satellite. A shiny white desk arched at the front and behind it were rows and rows of long desks separated into cubicles. Some of the workers had earpieces attached to their heads while others had none. A telephone rang before they exited from the room. The sight very much left Tao amazed and he wondered how much they got paid for just sitting down all day.

“Suho back there analyzes missions. He’s responsible for assuring that the mission stays on track and that nothing should go wrong. Namjoo comes up with strategies so that if our soldiers are to fall into danger, she can get them all out safely. It’s a lot of brain tasking on her part and she often stays over night to map an entire area into her head.” Donghae finally turned to Tao. “Do you want to fight with us?”

“Do you mean if I’ve held a gun before?” Tao questioned.

“Either.” Donghae turned away and opened a wooden door with a side window to an empty office.

Tao watched him walk behind the desk and pull out some papers before sliding them across the desk to him.

“Fill these papers out. Leave the lines blank if you’re not sure.” Donghae instructed.

Tao flipped through the papers and almost snorted. “Doesn’t this mean I’m a free citizen now?”

“Not until you get out of here.” Donghae’s face remained still with seriousness. “This is a different hell than the prison you’ve been living in.”

Tao looked up at him with a frown. He didn’t get it. Did this mean he wasn’t free to do whatever he wanted?

“Until this mission is over, you’re my prisoner.” Donghae told. “Congrats Tao, you’ve stepped into the fire.”

~_____~

Assistant inspector Park Chorong and detective Kris Wu from the SMPA had been chosen among the few others by the Commissioner General. They’d accepted the offer and would arrive at the government hall tomorrow at 8, which meant Victoria wouldn’t be able to meet with them beforehand.

On another note, Commander of the Seoul Police division Lay had also accepted the offer and would arrive there tomorrow morning.

“Park Chorong, Kris, and Lay,” Victoria mumbled their names aloud and rubbed her chin with her forefinger. “They sound promising.”

~_____~

The whiteness of the walls only made the lights brighter and Tao rushed to hide his head underneath the fluffy pillow. He hated this ever since Donghae had brought him back with him last night. Not only would he be sharing a space with Donghae, but they would be together for the next 6 months whether the mission ended before then or not.

Tao hated sharing.

Donghae had neglected to feed him last night when he brought him back and had told him to do cook for himself if he was as hungry as he’d said he was. However, Donghae had no idea how horrible he was at cooking. Tao had literally almost burnt down a house after turning the stove on. In that case, he’d gone to bed on an empty stomach and this morning it felt like his stomach was at the rest of the meat in his body.

“Get up,” Donghae ordered from the door.

“What the heck…” Tao mumbled and turned to look at the dark brown door that was now stretched open.

He was definitely sure he’d locked it last night…then he saw the key between Donghae’s fingers. Rolling his eyes he tucked his head back underneath the pillow.

“Huang Zitao!” Donghae raised his voice.

Tao groaned.

“How do you plan to live the rest of your life like this? Are you going to stay in bed all day and prowl around the streets? Do you think laziness is going to get you anywhere? Huang Zitao! Is that what you want?” Donghae questioned. “You’re the image of someone less than a homeless.”

His nagging was even worse than the officer who had been in charge of him back at the prison. Tao was suddenly sure that the next 6 months there would be worse than what he’d expected.

“10 minutes…” he mumbled trying to call sleep to hurry back.

“If you’re not going to get up now, I’m going to cut your salary starting from today.” Donghae threatened. “5…4…3…”

Was he really serious about cutting his wage? Tao felt his insides screamed before he sat up upset. A smirk climbed onto Donghae’s face.

“No breakfast for you. Get dressed, we’re leaving in five.”

~_____~

Suho and Namjoo were early. Donghae always knew he could trust them. The car door from the other side opened and closed as the angry Tao stepped out. Namjoo glanced at him from the corner of her eyes and smirked as if satisfied to see him suffering early on.

“Shut up.” Donghae heard Tao order when he started onto the pavement toward them.

“Hey! Watch it!” Donghae shouted after him.

“Someone had it rough,” Suho commented quietly.

“An adult is required to have an average amount of 8 hours of sleep; I bet you get more than that.” Namjoo remarked when Tao neared.

Tao glared at her and turned around to face Donghae who sent him a stern expression.

“Your salary,” Donghae whispered.

He watched Tao grit his teeth so that his jawline became sharper. They all turned when a stunning black Mercedes Benz arrived into the parking lot and a handsome woman with long brown hair stepped out. Her body looked tone and tough contradicting that pretty feminine face of hers. She wore a very casual buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up and black pants with worn out tennis shoes that told Donghae she’d ran a lot in them.

“Victoria Song from the SWAT team management,” she held her hand out when she paused in front of him. “Lee Donghae?”

“Lee Donghae.” Donghae shook her hand in a business-like manner before another car arrived.

This time it was a skinny young man with a thin face who strutted toward them. He smiled politely and nodded toward Victoria before shaking Donghae’s hand.

“I’m Lay from the Seoul Police division,” Lay introduced himself.

Two hushed voices heading their way made them turn and Donghae spotted another woman with long hair and a tall man headed their way. They quickly turned away from each other and bowed toward them before scurrying forward.

“I’ve only these three with me,” Victoria turned to Donghae.

“That’s fine,” Donghae turned toward them. “I’m Lee Donghae who will be leading the mission. Suho and Namjoo are my assistants, and Tao, who I brought in yesterday.”

Victoria nodded running her eyes over them before glancing at Kris and Chorong at the other end. They were standing uniformly, she realized.

“I’m Victoria Song and these are my call-in aids, Lay, Commander of the Seoul Police division, Kris, a detective working in alliance with the SMPA, and Park Chorong, an assistant inspector from the SMPA. I hope their various skills and experiences from different departments can be of help.” Victoria spoke to Donghae.

“Sounds good. Lets go inside and I’ll further inform you about what we’ll be doing.” Donghae suggested.

~_____~

“Looks like you jinxed us yesterday,” Suho whispered into Namjoo’s ear when Lay first arrived. “Cops from the suburbs.”

Namjoo glanced at him from the corner of her eyes and glanced at Tao when he muttered, “Them again.”

Following his gaze she saw two figures emerge from the parking lot. One was a short woman around her height and another was a very tall man. She thought they looked familiar at first, but couldn’t recall them anywhere inside her memory.

“Who are they?” Namjoo questioned.

“I bet they’re from the police station too.” Suho said.

“Of course, are you dumb or something?” Tao remarked. “It’s that girl and the detective who were with me when you came yesterday.”

Namjoo ransacked her memory before she opened when she finally remembered.

“Great, more from the police station.” Namjoo commented.

“I wonder how this is going to work out.” Suho said and crossed his arms before leaning over to glance over at Donghae and Victoria. “She’s pretty.”

Namjoo shoved him back into place beside her. “I bet you she doesn’t go on blind dates. Stop staring at her.”

Tao snorted from beside them and Namjoo turned to him with a glare before Kris and Chorong approached.

~_____~

“Great,” Kris heard someone mutter when they lined up beside the other two that were already there. He hadn’t been told that there would be someone else other than he and Chorong.

“Ah…I bet she’s that SWAT team leader,” Chorong said quietly while leaning forward to look over at Victoria then glanced at Donghae. She quickly turned to Kris with a giggle, “I wonder who he is.”

Kris glanced at her with a small frown of disgust at how Chorong’s heart was already fluttering and glanced at who he recognized as the prisoner, Tao, staring at them darkly. Kris blinked his eyes calmly and wondered what he was doing there or rather what the military intelligence unit was planning to do with him.

“Ugh…my legs hurt. Why did Donghae force us to come out this morning anyway?” Namjoo pounded her shoulders and made a face of dissatisfaction at Suho, who noticed Kris’ glance and quickly nodded toward him in greeting. “I can’t believe we’re working with the police. Incompetent people…”

Suho nudged her shoulder so heavily she almost tripped forward and that was when she noticed Kris and Chorong staring over at her. Namjoo’s expression didn’t change one bit nor did she try to apologize and smile. She turned back to Suho and elbowed him in the chest before she turned when Donghae called for them. Without glancing back she started for the stairs first and Suho bowed toward them quickly before running after her. Kris caught Tao eyeing them as if he should keep them under close surveillance before slowly going after them.

A small snort escaped Kris’ lips, “I don’t like her.”

“I still don’t like her.” Chorong added from beside him.     


***Since HaeToria is definite, I've also decided on SuRong as a side dish.  ^^ But that will be for later on. 

***“Congrats Tao, you’ve stepped into the fire.” ---> It has a connection with the title Blaze