Unit Three & Back to Square One

Blaze

~_____~

Once the door closed behind her she stared down at the phone still buzzing in her hand. Removing her fingers from the screen she saw Tao’s name instantenously flashing.

Kris and Tao both made her nervous no matter how confidently she trusted that they wouldn’t hurt her.

“I’m,” he stared right at her, “really attracted to you, ok?”

First with Kris, then now with Tao.

“When I become a better person, will you be my girlfriend then?”

Weren’t they supposed to be a team? Just a team? What was with all these feelings flying all over the place like a fly that couldn’t be killed?

She didn’t know what to do. Tao still had a lot to learn even if he was working harder for the team. He was still a child that needed to be watched. Kris, though annoying, had come to her aid numerous times. And they’d crossed the line together already.

Namjoo wanted to knock her forehead against the wall, but the phone continuously rung through the endearing silence she was desperate for.

“Where are you?”

“I’m at home.”

“Have you eaten? Lets eat together.”

“I alrea…” she started, but he cut her off.

“I’m close to your apartment,” Tao said and quickly added, “Donghae wants me to check up on you. You’re still inside, right? I’m coming up.”

“W…wait,” she called out, but the beeping on the other line told her Tao had hung up.

Allowing a breath of exasperation out of her she pressed her hand up to her face and turned when the doorbell rung. Her eyes focused on the door for a few mere seconds and she wondered if Kris might have seen Tao come up vice versa. The thought of the two guys in a room together now brought her uneasiness. Even if Tao wasn’t aware of Kris, Kris knew everything.

Pressing her lips together she started toward the door and opened it. Tao shot her a smile and held up a bag of some food.

“Don’t worry, I didn’t cook,” he assured as he walked in. After setting the bag onto the table he turned to look at her. “Did you go out?”

Namjoo turned to look at her outfit, “Oh…yea. What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be relaxing or something?”

“I told you,” he firmly smiled, “just checking up on you.”

“There’s nothing to check.”

After taking out the food from the bag he walked toward her and gently grabbed her wrist. The warmth of his hand fluctuated through her skin into her bones as he led her toward one of the chairs by the table and had her sit down. There were soft sparkles in his eyes and that hopeful smile on his lips. Even his toned skin glowed when he wrapped his hands around hers and crouched down in front of her.

Tingles tickled the sudden soft atmosphere overhwemingly tucked into folds by the sincerity pouring out of him. If she were to speak she’d ruin the spell and she knew it’d be rude of her to purposely do so. For some reason she felt Tao had prepared the things he was going to say, but was there really a need for him to do this?

When Namjoo glanced down at him she realized he wasn’t wearing one of those foolish shirts she’d bought him, but a new button down he’d bought from elsewhere. Had he purposely dressed up before coming over?

“Namjoo,” Tao started off, his fingers gently pressing deeper into her hand, “the things you’ve done before whether with anyone or not doesn’t matter to me. So don’t look at anyone else. From now on, I’ll do all I can to not disappoint you.”

Namjoo slightly pulled her hand back, but Tao kept his hold on her.

“Wait, Tao.”

“I,” he said, “can be a good guy. I can do it, you know that, right?”

The softness in his eyes burned into her and Namjoo had a hard time looking away from him. Tao smiled handsomely at her and Namjoo couldn’t form any words through in reply. As Tao rose he placed a hand at the back of her head slightly pressing her face into his chest.

“Your ankle’s getting better, right?” he asked as he walked away to search for some plates. “Just sit there for today, ok? I’ll do everything else.”

She listened to him rummage through her shelves and turned around to glance at him. Just how many people were going to pry their way into her life like this?

First Kris and now Tao.

~_____~

Victoria hurried out after Donghae who was slowly trailing down the hallway. Quickening her steps she caught up with him and blockaded his path.

“We,” she began, “should talk.”

Donghae stared back at her, his breath holding a stench of beer. Had he bothered to wash up last night at all?

“There’s nothing to talk about. If you have questions, talk to Suho.”

Donghae walked around her to continue making his way down the hallway.

Victoria turned around to look at him and loudly asked, “Would he know why you’re making these rash decisions? Why the impulsiveness to send them to Yeongwol? Does Suho know what we’re going to get out of watching the human trafficking gang at work? Does Suho know what happened to you in Daegu?”

Donghae’s steps slowly came to a stop and he barely moved for a minute.   

“Should I ask him that last question?” Victoria pressed on knowing that Donghae would react to her. “Does anybody know what happened to you in Daegu?”

“Back off, Victoria,” Donghae turned his head around to warn her. “That’s not your territory.”

“Oh? It’s not?” Victoria contradicted and took a step toward him. “I thought a team shares information with each other, but why do I get the feeling that you’re moving out by yourself? What exactly have you been doing during these past few days? Prying around by yourself for information? Is doing things in secrecy behind our backs your specialty? Does your most precious assitants know what’s going on?”

“Stop it, Victoria,” Donghae deepened his tone into warning. “Go do your job.”

Victoria watched unsatisfactorily as Donghae walked off leaving her to stand in his dust.

She leaned against the railing of the fourth floor busily watching the empty lobby below her. What kind of things did Donghae have to hide from them? Were they things that touched the subject of Eunhyuk? Had Donghae run into Eunhyuk in Daegu? More importantly, Donghae had returned injured after their split in Daegu. Yet she hadn’t found out who he’d fought with.

Yes, more questions. Just more questions added to her list. There seemed to be too many things to break down.

Was there anything else Donghae was keeping from the team; even things Suho and Namjoo didn’t know about? What kind of things about Eunhyuk did he not want to share? Was Eunhyuk and Hyukjae the same person? If not, where was Eunhyuk and who was Hyukjae? Who was really running the human trafficking circle? What kind of role did the brothel play in all this? What kind of special things about the surrounding cities did she need to take in account for?

Victoria felt like her brain was spinning. She needed to talk to someone who knew Donghae well. Someone like Suho and Namjoo, but Suho would be out of town by evening. There wasn’t much time if she wanted to find out what was going on and what Donghae was currently after.    

To her luck, Suho was still in the building gathering notes in the library.

“Busy?” Victoria asked walking in.

A ray of sunlight filtered in through the cracks between the books on the shelves on her left. It made the library look dreamy during the day, but like a secret room during night time. Suho was sitting by one of the circular tables with a few pieces of papers sprawled out in front of him.

“Just looking up some things about human trafficking and kidnappings,” Suho told sliding the book in front of him to the side. “Now that Han Dan Bi is dead, it feels like we’ve lost sight of our mission. We could’ve prevented her death if we moved faster. It’s so regretful.”

“Yes, it is,” Victoria pulled out a chair and sat down.

Her eyes ran over the notes on the empty sheets. Suho worked hard for his team and was always thinking about the others. Victoria felt grateful that he was putting in so much effort, but it was sad that his break had ended just because of Donghae.

“Let me ask,” Victoria started, “is Donghae always this rash?”

“It’s the first time I’ve seen him make orders so abruptly,” Suho told, “but who knows, maybe he’s already thought this through. If not then, it’s probably the first time he’s acting on impulse. He always gets anxious whenever Eunhyuk is brought up.”

“I’ve realized that,” Victoria nodded. “What do you think Donghae is after?”

Suho’s eyes seemed to glide around the room and he eventually shrugged, his eyes looking blank.

“Suho, you’ve met Eunhyuk before, right?”

Suho nodded.

“What kind of person is he, from your opinion, I mean.”

“If you’re asking about whether he seemed suspicious, then no,” Suho answered, “he was just a nice guy.”

“No criminal record, no involvement with drugs, girls, or bars?”

“I don’t know about that,” Suho told.

Victoria pressed her lips together, “Then forgetting that, did you sense anything strange about Donghae when we were in Daegu?”

“Honestly, Victoria,” Suho said, “so much happened in Daegu I don’t quite remember. If you want to ask about Donghae, it’s better to ask Tao. I think they were together before we went after Kris and Namjoo.”

“Ok,” Victoria slowly nodded. “Thanks, Suho.”

Getting up she pushed the chair in and started toward the door, but stopped when Suho called her name.

“Can I ask a favor?” Suho asked.

“Sure.”

“While we’re in Yeongwol, can you start a search for Park Eun Bin? She was last in Yeongwol at the brothel. I’m certain the results of those pencils I sent in should be here soon,” Suho said. He looked so kind, so sincere as he spoke. “Since we already lost Dan Bi, we shouldn’t lose her too.”

“Sure, I can do that.”

~_____~

Namjoo turned when the doorbell rang and wondered who else was visiting.

“I’ll get it,” Tao offered when she started to get up. “I left the food in your fridge. You’ll be ok, right?”

“Yea,” Namjoo nodded. “Thanks.”

Tao shot her another smile before slipping his shoes on and opened the door. Upon hearing voices at the door Namjoo got up from the chair and slowly walked toward the door to see Victoria.

“Uh…sorry,” Victoria apologized, “did I interrupt…”

Namjoo quickly shook her head, quick to dispute what Victoria might be thinking. “Tao was just leaving.”

“Oh…yea…” Tao nodded and glanced at her then Victoria before finally leaving.

Now that he was gone, Victoria walked in. What was going on today?

“How’s your ankle?” Victoria started.

“Well,” Namjoo followed her in. “Would you like something to drink?”

“I’m fine,” Victoria smiled and sat down on her couch. “I just have a few questions.”

Namjoo observed Victoria for anything she might see in her face, but there was nothing.

“Is something the matter?” Namjoo asked after seating herself.

“About Donghae,” Victoria began, “how much has he talked to you about Eunhyuk?”

“Eunhyuk?” Namjoo repeated. “I haven’t heard anyting personal, but that they’re good friends. Suho might know more than me.”

“Actually, I already talked to him.”

“Then I don’t have much to say.”

“Namjoo, you and Suho are his closest assistants,” Victoria said, “I know Donghae trusts you two a lot. Forgive me for saying this, but I have a gut feeling that he is hiding something from us. Are you sure you don’t know anything about Eunhyuk that Donghae hasn’t told me, Kris, Lay, or Chorong?”

Namjoo’s breath stilled as she continued staring at Victoria. “I’m sorry, I don’t know anything.”

~_____~

“This feels like another trip, doesn’t it?” Lay asked greeting Suho outside of his apartment.

Suho tossed him a smile and handed Lay his backpack, “I don’t quite feel the same this time.”

“Why’s that?”

“Because, just because,” Suho answered. “It doesn’t sound very attractive to have to just watch things happen and not do a thing.”

“There will come an opportunity to fix it.”

Suho tilted his head up to stare at the evening sky, cloudless and empty like his life.

“If that opportunity comes, I’d sure like to take it,” Suho said.

After picking Chorong up they finally started down the road to Yeongwol where they were to stay at an inn near the brothel.

“It’s just us three this time,” Lay stated from behind the wheel. “You’ll be ok with us, right Chorong?”

“Huh? Oh…yea,” she answered from the back.

“You don’t sound very cheery.” Suho commented.

“I’m just…worried,” Chorong replied.

Before Suho could make a remark his phone rang. It was Namjoo.

“Hey, what’s up?” Suho answered.

“Is something going on? Why all of a sudden is Victoria asking me about Eunhyuk? What did you say to her? Is she suspicious of Donghae?”

“I don’t know,” Suho calmly replied, “but from how I see it, Donghae’s been a bit strange since Daegu.”

“Daegu?”

“Looks like something happened to him back there,” Suho assumed.

“And you don’t know about it?”

“No,” Suho answered. “Why? Did Victoria stop by?”

“She did,” Namjoo replied. “Where are you? Lets meet up and talk.”

“I’m heading to Yeongwol with Lay and Chorong.”

“Yeongwol? Why Yeongwol?”

“Donghae’s orders.”

“Donghae? Why? What happened?”

Suho hesitated. Namjoo had been the most determined to search for the two missing girls they’d trooped upon during the mission. She’d most likely be upset and angry if he told her, but even if he didn’t tell her Dan Bi would show up on the news or in the newspaper. Namjoo would know either way.

“Han Dan Bi,” Suho started, “is dead.”

There was a long silence and Suho couldn’t tell what was going on with Namjoo.

“Namjoo,” Suho called, “while I’m away, it might be best to keep an eye on Donghae. I feel like he’s up to something.”

A long moment of silence ensued before she finally spoke, “Should we…find out what he’s really hiding?” 


***Tao...well he lied about Donghae wanting him to check up on Namjoo hhahaha that liar xD

***Oho! Here we go! Victoria starts her own investigation on Donghae while Namjoo & Suho conspire behind Donghae's back to find out what secrets he has! All the while more drama gets entwined into their troubles!