I Spy

Blaze

The door opened. They turned to see a uniformed man with a round belly from all the beers he’d had late nights step in. There was a gun sitting in a holster at his side.

The Chief.

“I’m late, excuse me,” he apologized stepping in.

After formalizing everyone, the Dean led them down the short hallway into a conference room. Now seated the Chief formally introduced himself as Chief Hong Bae Young, assigned to lead the investigation. They would all take responsibility for bringing those girls home and bring the van to a stop at all costs. Arms and weapons would be provided by would be leased by the above.

Donghae didn’t hesitate to agree. They immediately filed out with curious onlookers crowding around for a glance of the Military Intelligence Unit. As they walked along Donghae explained, “We’re working hand in hand, so I won’t permit acting by yourself. We’re northbound and we’re going to get those girls back safely.”

The rest followed on his heel, listening intently to orders. Highly motivated Donghae was determined to save those girls along with the ones he’d missed while fighting with Victoria. No more losses, he promised himself.

Swerving around in front of the car he looked each one of his subordinates over, “Our number one priority is saving those girls. Understood?”

“Yes!”

~_____~

Lotte Mart was a highly urban area buzzing with consumers and business. Nearby skyscrapers towered over the local area with streets deep, forking and separating into the beyond. The current of the wind was rough against the skin. Clouds were closing in, gathering to hide the sun. In soon time, if not to their luck, it would start pouring. Once the streets darkened people would head home clearing up the search, but would either make it hard or easy for them.

They separated off into groups with Lay insisting he would be fine with Suho and Kris. The search would be more agile without sticking together. With walkie-talkies hanging off the sides of their hips they separated around the district for their prey.

It had been utterly quiet the past five minutes. Suho couldn’t figure out in his mind why Lay would want to team with him when he was clearly still angry. He’d thought some time apart would help him cool down, but he had suggested they group up. They were starting toward the bus stop behind Lotte Mart – it was now a block away. Suho was last in the line with Lay leading and Kris a few steps behind him.

As the silence treaded alongside them, his fingers burrowed into his pocket to feel the cool surface of his phone brush against his fingertips. Eunhyuk’s men could still be in Seoul – the very possible fact being that he had eyes watching everywhere. He was worried about the ones left behind.

“The area would have been searched,” Kris spoke up, “don’t you think? We’re wasting time here.”

“I want to see how many roads diverge from here,” Lay explained crossing the road. “This is a busy area. The roads could run home and most likely toward the highway, considering this is a popular city for tourists.” He turned back to glance at them. “Does Chief Hong have someone patrolling the highway for suspicious vehicles?”

“He didn’t say,” Kris replied.

At the cubicle Lay turned around and ordered, “You call and ask.”

Remaining silent Kris glanced at Lay then to Suho, as if sensing how wired the atmosphere had suddenly become. Then walking away pulled his phone out to talk from noise without traffic. Once he was at the corner away from earshot Lay stepped toward him appearing as unhappy as ever. Suho thought he was holding his anger well, considering how betrayal was such a big factor to him.

“So what do you think?”

“What do you mean ‘What do I think?’” Suho questioned.

“This,” Lay turned his head to make a gesture about the entire situation. “Do you think this situation will lead you to Eunhyuk or his brother? Do you think you can meet him?”

“Lay,” he breathed.

Stepping closer Lay tauntingly poked his shoulder while staring into his eyes ferociously, “You’re good at it, aren’t you? Dovetailing? So look for Eunhyuk while looking for those girls and derive every ounce of information you can from. Then tell me what he tells you and I’ll decide if I can trust you enough to help you.”

Suho’s stare turned hard and irate. Gently lifting his hand away he warned, “Now isn’t the time for this, Lay. We have those girls to get to. Before we lose them again, lets just focus on the task at hand.”

“Focus?” his brow twitched. “What exactly is your focus? Are you really concerned about those girls? Or is it Donghae? Or Namjoo? Which one, Suho? What about this job are you in for?”

“Don’t undermine us. We care about those girls just as much as you do.”

“You do?” Lay mocked. “If I remember what you said, you only want to save your teams’ lives.”

“Don’t misread between the lines Lay.” Suho warned. “We can’t save everyone, but we can at least do something by finding Eunhyuk. If we do, we can stop his human trafficking line.”

“Eunhuk this, Eunhyuk that!” Lay raised his voice. “Just how much further are you going to lie to yourself, to all of us?! From the very beginning you three have planned to find that missing friend! Those missing girls only entered the picture to give you reason! You’ve used all of us!”  

Suho had been determined to stay relatively calm, but Lay was good with pressing his buttons. How dare he doubt his sincerity with this work? He cared about saving those poor girls not any more than the rest of his teammates did, and he worried about the rest of his teammates, including Victoria’s, as much as any of them did.

Without meaning to, he twisted Lay’s collar into his hand and drove him back against the cubicle behind him. Hissing he asked, “You so bitter you want to have a go with me?”

Letting loose Lay shoved him. Suho stumbled backwards, winding on the ground with Lay’s one punch. A point-second before Lay could flatten him anymore Kris tugged the angered man away.

“What’s going on?!” he shouted. Heaving a sigh Suho stood to his feet, wondering if ever anything would be easy for him.

Lay shrugged out of Kris’ hold violently. “I feel a bit sorry for you, Kris.” He said while adjusting his shirt, panting with short angered breaths. “I think you’ve been fooled. Not just by a team of liars, but even by the woman who lost your child.”

Heat flurried through Suho at the insult and he jumped at Lay. The entire cubicle shook when Suho pinned Victoria’s team member against the glass. A cold breeze rushed by combing his hair forcibly in the wrong direction.

“Don’t you dare talk about her like that,” Suho drew Lay’s shirt into his fist, stared him hard in the eyes threateningly. “You know nothing. Not about me, Namjoo, or Donghae. Forget it. You’re not as capable as I thought you were if you can strive this low. Lets do it your way.”

Pushing him against the glass once more Suho turned to start toward the deeper streets hidden beyond the skyscrapers. He could hear Kris hesitating before his footsteps rushed after him.

“Suho!” he stopped behind him. “Why are you two fighting? Is there something I don’t know about?”

Forcing himself to pause in step he half-swiveled around to look at the tired man. He appeared gloomy and deprived of everything he once had in life. Suho, too, regretted how everything was fine one moment then dramatically turned the next. Everything was so screwed and he wondered where they had gone wrong with their mistakes – what mistakes.

“There is something,” Suho was honest.

“What is it? Does it have something to do with Namjoo?” the immense concern on his face made Suho all the more apologetic. Kris was so tired. So was he.  

“Yes,” the word came quiet and Suho peered past Kris to see Lay watching from afar. His eyes landed back on the friend in front of him, “it’s going to be something you have to decide for yourself.”

Kris frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“We lied to you.”

~_____~

Almost two hours now since Suho last visited her. The sun had earlier been out, now it had shied behind the dreary clouds. Chorong’s eyes glued onto the vast sky, feeling both emptiness and hope.

“I know you like him,” the words just continued bleeding from his lips. “I know how you feel, but I don’t want you to get hurt. I just want you to be careful, Chorong.”

She stared at him, her eyes blank.

“Maybe Victoria’s right. We believe Donghae’s team too much.”

Chorong wondered if she was being too naïve, too optimistic about everything. No one seemed to really care about anyone else. Work was the main priority, nothing else. That was where she was left hanging, because she wanted more than work. To become friends, a source of support for each other, she wanted that.

Donghae pushed them to ends forcing them over their own limits. Victoria was immersed in showing how powerful she could be. And everyone else…was just a blur.

Suho…never made time for anything, anyone. She was greedy, she knew, but she wanted work – what he lived for – to become anything but his first priority. She so strongly wanted to believe in him to the end, but what if – she feared – what if Lay might be right? What did she expect from Suho by believing in him to the end? That he would shower her with gratitude by saying yes, lets go out?

Scoffing at herself Chorong turned around. It didn’t matter, she knew. Whatever happened her heart still wanted what it wanted.

Her eyes fell on the friend Suho had entrusted her with. After a dose of some painkillers Namjoo was well asleep. Walking toward the bed she sat down on the chair and hoped the others would return with good news for once.     

~_____~

Victoria and Donghae were searching the parking lot in Lotte Mart, going through the rows of vehicles, eyes out for the gray van the CCTV had caught. Donghae would have inscribed the image of it into the depths of his brain. She wouldn’t disappoint him. This van was their fault and she would make up for their hit and miss. Even as good as their relationship might become, that competitive streak she’d nurtured because of his antics, wouldn’t simply die down.

Her hand brushed over the gun hidden under her jacket trying to imagine the men who might be with those vulnerable girls. There could be two or three among them, she assumed, all armed she expected. They were always ready for them.

“Clear?” Donghae called from the opposite end of the lot.

Stepping out from the end she replied, “Clear.” Then walking toward him suggested, “We should go down. I doubt they’re anywhere near now.”

Nodding, Donghae said as they started toward the staircase together, “Lay, Kris, and Suho are in the west end where the bus station was. People are starting to clear out since it’ll rain soon. I’m hoping those guys have some place to stay while the rain passes, because it’ll give us time to track them.”

“But if they’re hiding, where?” Victoria asked, her breathing coming out in even as they quickly jogged down the concrete stairs. “I highly doubt there are available hotels here willing to give those guys a room with that many girls.”   

“Not a hotel,” Donghae stopped and turned to look at her, “closed buildings.”

~_____~

Kris’ eyes bulged, drowned in his. They had intended to lie all along, but not with ill intent. Suho could plead that but didn’t know how to prove it. Not when Lay was ready to label him, Namjoo, and Donghae traitors to the job.  

“Namjoo and I have a hidden agenda,” Suho confessed. “I’m sorry, Kris. If you feel used, I can only apologize. I have to go. You do what Lay tells you to.”

Swiveling around Suho quickly started off with a job before running across the street toward the quiet buildings. He didn’t know where he was going, but his feet would lead him somewhere, he knew it. Donghae would be angry with him later for abruptly splitting up from the group, but he couldn’t be around Lay this moment. He was afraid, for the first time that he would end up strangling the teammate.

Panting wildly he finally stopped to catch his breath, leaned forward with hands on knees. His chest terribly hurt but he was all the more cool from the earlier heat. Withdrawing a few breaths he straightened up and peered around. Stoic buildings surrounded him. All of them bricks and stones with empty windows, like eyes staring back at him. The streets were cliché barren with street meters between the widths of each other. Five cars were present and unattended.

Turning he glanced back the way he’d come. Lay and Kris were a mile well behind him. He was well alone and without aid. Instinctively his eyes observed the buildings to figure out whether they were inhabited by anyone. They clearly looked like offices, buildings with business sectors, each individual with its own owner and consumers.

Was business closed for the day?

Stepping forward slowly and cautiously, Suho peered at the black BMW a yard away. He had to start searching if he wanted to get somewhere. The windows were black and heavily tinted. Obviously, he wouldn’t be able to see anything even if he pressed his face against the glass, but something unexplainable about it called him to it. Frowning as he stopped beside it he leaned down and only caught the reflection in the glass too late.

An arm locked around his neck and squeezed tightly, immediately cutting off his air supply. Helpless, Suho attempted to reach up and grab his arm to unleash him. Instead, the offender slammed him forward so hard he out the second his head collided with the window.

~_____~

Donghae stopped in his tracks the moment they finally exited Lotte Mart. “Lee Donghae.”

“Commander,” the officer spoke, “we found the van.”

“You found the van?” he turned to Victoria with wide eyes, the rays of hope shone through his eyes. She radiated the exact emotions from her orbs. “Where?”

“The problem is,” the officer went on, his voice coaxed with a shade of disappointment, “there’s no one here.”

“What do you mean?”

“The worst scenario is that they’ve abandoned the van.”

“And they’re somewhere else by now.”

“Yes,” the officer confirmed. “Chief Hong would like for your team to return.”

With no further words Donghae hung up and stared into space, ultimate disappointed.

“What was it? Did they get the girls?” Victoria pressed on.

“No,” he breathed. “They only got the van. The girls are still missing.” Retaining his disappointed anger, he pulled out his walkie-talkie and immediately connected to the others. Static hit the air before he commanded, “All head back to the car. We’re heading to the university.”

A moment of dead silence before Kris’ replied, “Suho’s not here.”

“What?” impatience and surprise slithered through his veins. “Where is he?”

“I don’t know.”

Trying not to roll his eyes Donghae called through the radio again, “Suho. Suho, do you hear me? Where are you?”

No reply.

“God dammit,” Donghae swore underneath his breath. Then speaking into the radio again, “Where are you two?”

“A block from the bus station,” Lay answered this time.

“Stay there,” Donghae demanded and said to Victoria as he stepped forward, “lets go.” Then he mumbled, “I told them to follow orders. Who do they think they are? We’re going to lose everything at this rate.”

The immediate sound of sharp static from his walkie-talkie forced him to halt in his steps. He thought he heard his name. Lifting up the radio he called out, “Suho?”

A roll of air poured through the speaker. Then what he thought was a laugh. The voice came back on a second later, “Suho, was it?”

“Who are you?” Donghae could feel his blood boiling.

“I have some girls here with me. I assume you’re looking for them too?” the stranger whose voice was the lowest baritone croaked.    

Victoria turned to look at him, but Donghae could only focus on his quickened heartbeat.

“He’s bleeding heavily,” the man said. “Tell you what, lets play a little game of I spy.”

“What do you want?” Donghae growled.

Hyukjae.

A fire exploded within the pit of Donghae's stomach and he clenched onto the radio.

I spy a black car.” 


***Long time no see! Yes, I'm back. I'll be writing the next chapter shortly after I eat. I'm not planning to kill this story yet, but I've been pumped these days to write it. 

***Here's a list of the previous chapters to jog our brains: 

  • Lay's currently pissed off with Suho for keeping Eunhyuk's twin a secret, as well as what he and Namjoo have been keeping under wraps
  • Victoria and Donghae are starting to bond after Hae opened up
  • Victoria does not yet know about Eunhyuk's twin, neither does Kris or Chorong or Tao
  • Namjoo lost her baby saving Chorong and Kris on the battlefield
  • Tao and Kris are at odds with each other, as always and Tao has curled up into the dark
  • The rest of the group, excluding Chorong and Namjoo are in Cheongju in search of missing college girls