The Two Left Behind

Blaze

~_____~

Since they were going to even the numbers of passengers in the car out, Kris had had no choice but to join Lay and Chorong in the other car along with Tao. He couldn’t stand Tao at the moment though. Seeing that shirt on Namjoo gave him even more reason to believe he should have insisted to go to Busan instead, but what could that do now?

Furrowing his brows he leaned against the door and stared out the window. Tao also made sure to sit far away from him as well.

“So is there any place you guys want to see?” Lay asked from up front, but no one bothered to reply. “I guess we’ll just follow them then.”

“The hotel’s not that far,” Chorong said. “Do you think we’ll be searching around these areas tomorrow? These look like big streets.”

“We’ll most likely split up,” Lay suggested. “At least I think that’s what Donghae will have us do.”

“What about Victoria?”

“I think she’ll go along with what Donghae says,” Lay replied. “It’s mostly been like that, hasn’t it?”

Chorong shrugged, “Yea. The intelligence unit has more knowledge than us about this.”

~_____~

“Oh! I want to eat there! And there!” Suho leaned forward in his seat to point at the various restaurants they were driving past.

“Sit back, will you?” Donghae asked making a turn around the corner.

“So you never said anything about the guys you caught,” Suho said holding onto Donghae’s seat.

“We couldn’t find them,” Victoria replied, “Donghae said he wanted some of your luck.”

“Mine?” Suho frowned then laughed before slapping Donghae’s chair. “First time I’ve heard that!”

“Out of desperation?” Namjoo raised a brow.

“No,” Donghae denied.

“I come in handy at the worst times,” Suho proudly pounded his chest, “what you need to happen happens at the very least unexpected moment. Hey, maybe I should have gone with you instead.”

“I don’t think so,” Donghae shook his head. “And would you sit back already?”

Suho sunk back into his seat, “But maybe you would have gotten shot instead, never mind. You would have gotten pissed.”

“Excuse me?” Donghae asked.

Suho laughed and waved his hand, “I was joking.”

“Someone got shot?” Victoria swiveled around from the passenger’s seat to look at him.

Namjoo rolled her eyes and shook her head before covering her forehead with her hand.

“It’s nothing serious.” Suho said. 

“Who got shot?”   

“Kris. We kind of um…got into a bind when we came across those men,” Suho awkwardly laughed. “And well you know, with me things happen.”

“Great,” Donghae nodded. “Was it bad?”

“I said it wasn’t serious.” Suho repeated. “Just…his muscles tore a little.”

“So we have two injured members, makes six of us for tomorrow,” Donghae mentally counted.

“What do you mean six?” Namjoo asked sounding offended.

“You’re not going out running like that,” Donghae pointed out.

“Yea, well I should at least have a say in this.” Namjoo fought.

“No, I don’t think so,” Donghae shook his head. “Not until you stop limping.”

“Then what about Kris? I don’t think he’s limping.” Namjoo argued.

Suho slightly chuckled before Namjoo turned to look at him with a glare.

“It’s fine. There’s six of us,” Victoria tried.

“Donghae!” Namjoo raised her voice.

“You two have worked together before, you two can keep each other company while we’re out,” Donghae said pulling into the lot of their hotel.

Suho laughed before Namjoo slapped him across the chest, “What are you laughing at?”

“Ow…hey!” Suho complained, but Namjoo had slid out of her seat to follow Donghae.

“Ok, fine, leave me behind,” Namjoo insisted trailing behind Donghae, “but I don’t need someone to keep me company. Not like anyone’s going to come after me here.”

“You two are injured,” Donghae swung around to face her, “and Victoria’s right. Six of us is more than enough. Just relax, will you?”

Suho turned to watch the others step out of their car.

“Lets rest up before heading out tomorrow,” Donghae called out. “Oh, and Kris, you’ll be staying behind.”

“What?” Suho watched confusion climb into his face.

No one answered him and turned around to head back inside. Suho shot him a grin before turning around to follow the others.

~_____~

“Are you comfortable?” Chorong asked. “You can have one of my shirts.”

“I’m fine.” Namjoo replied lying down on the bed and propping her leg up against two stacked pillows. “By the way, where are you guys searching tomorrow?”

“Probably patrol around first,” Victoria explained from the ground where she was digging into her bag for a towel. “You can’t spot trouble very easily. Those men don’t just pick kids off the street very openly. The police would be all over if that were the case.”

“They do it in places where no one’s looking,” Chorong added, “one thing to keep in mind is they pick easy targets who don’t fight back and are gullible.”

“We’ve done a good job so far, I’m sure we’ll find something tomorrow,” Victoria got up to her feet with her pajamas and a towel wrapped over her arm.

“With Suho, you always end up with something,” Namjoo muttered before closing her eyes.

When the door to the bathroom closed Chorong glanced over at Namjoo before climbing onto the bed. She and Namjoo had decided to take one while leaving the other to Victoria. Since they were all gathered together they’d resorted to checking out two rooms; one for the girls and one for the boys. It’d be easier to get to one another was what Donghae had said.

After lunch the next day they went back to their rooms to pick up their gear to prepare to move out.

~_____~

“Sorry, Kris,” Donghae apologized, “I’m going to have to trouble you to stay back. If you decide to go out, don’t go too far.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Kris nodded.

After slipping his shoes on he turned around to say, “Come on, Tao. Lets go.”

“Their soap smells weird,” Suho commented walking out of the bathroom to see Tao and Kris shooting each other quiet glances. Lightly slapping Tao on the arm he said, “Hey, Donghae called for you. You didn’t hear?”

“Make sure Namjoo doesn’t walk around too much,” Donghae reminded before ushering the rest of them out the door.

“About time,” Victoria said when they arrived in the parking lot. “So how do you want to do this? Are we all going to squeeze in a car?”

“Lets separate and meet. There a few places I have in mind to look,” Donghae said, “but they’re also the busiest places.”

“All right,” Victoria nodded, “that works too.”

They left in two different cars and met up downtown where various restaurants and shopping disctricts gathered students, children, and adults of all ages. Business was bustling and there were different crowds of different people who associated in different groups walking around; each busy in their own way. The echo of voices filled the air as the six of them traveled down the packed street together.

“Wow, we came just when business is experiencing the peak of their traffic,” Suho commented.

“Should we split up now?” Lay asked.

“Maybe we should have chosen a more secluded area,” Victoria mumbled.

“Shouldn’t we try to look elsewhere for their hideout?” Tao wondered. “I doubt those guys would be around here. Gangs don’t raid crowded places like these.”

Donghae turned to glance at him.

“What?” Tao defensively questioned. “I speak from experience. In these types of crowd it’s easy to spot faces even if you’re just looking around. And the last things those people want is to be recognized.”

“I think he has a point,” Chorong agreed. “Criminals usually think the same way, no offense.”

“Offense taken,” Tao mumbled turning away to look through the crowd.

“Ok,” Donghae nodded, “then what do you suggest?”

“Well…if Officer Choi said that they’re spread around in Daegu, we just need to catch one in action,” Victoria reminded. “And the busiest places where people tend to be busiest minding their own business offer the best seclusion.”

“No, actually, I just thought of something,” Lay said turning to them. “Maybe Donghae is right. We just need to look around carefully.”

Suho frowned.

“There’s poverty everywhere in Korea,” Lay spoke, “kidnapping could add to the trafficking circle, but we should look at it from another perspective. Families who are struggling for money also sell off their children.”

Donghae felt something click in his head. The possibility never occurred to him.

“I’ve also heard about that,” Chorong nodded. “There’s been a few unpopular cases.”

“Exactly,” Lay emphasized, “someone could be doing a secret business here somewhere.”

“You mean having it under disguise?” Suho asked.

“Could be.”

“Lets keep that possibility in mind.” Victoria told. “Then I think we should split up. This street ends where traffic begins, so we shouldn’t be separated too far.”

~_____~

Namjoo turned when she heard a knock at the door and rolled her eyes as she turned back to face the TV. She purposely raised the volume, but it didn’t make the knocking go away as she wished. Obviously Kris wasn’t getting her signal.

“Perfect,” Namjoo mumbled underneath her breath before hopping to the door. “What? Can’t you see I’m busy?”

“Busy relaxing or watching TV?” he asked staring at her from the crack of the door.

“Both.” Namjoo insolently replied.

She tried closing the door, but Kris grabbed it and pushed it open wider. She felt him look at her once before he grabbed her arm pulling her out.

“Wh…what the hell!?” she questioned helplessly being pulled along so as not to put any pressure on her ankle as she tried to get away.

He stopped by the elevators and pressed the button, “Aren’t you embarrassed wearing that?”

“Wearing what!?” Namjoo exclaimed. “Look here, I don’t need you to…”

“It’s here,” he said before pulling her into the elevator with him.

“What are you doing!?” Namjoo tried to pull out of his grasp, but he had a tighter hold on her than she expected.

“Taking you out,” was all he said before they arrived on the first floor.

“I am not going out with you,” Namjoo stated through gritted teeth. “If you want to go sightseeing, go yourself.”

“I didn’t think of that,” Kris said, “I’ll add that onto the list.”

Namjoo snorted baffled by his play, “You’re not letting go? I’m screaming.”

“Embarrass yourself then,” Kris urged pushing the door open.

Namjoo heaved a sigh at her useless threat, “Fine! Then let go of me, I can walk on my own, thank you very much.”

He turned to look at her through narrowed lids before allowing her to pull free.

“For god’s sake,” she muttered limping beside him.

“So…” he began, “did you and Tao do anything in Busan?”

“You dragged me out to ask a measly question?” Namjoo frowned. “That’s really stupid.”

“No, I did not.”

“Then sure, what’s there not to enjoy in Busan?” Namjoo asked.

“Whatever,” she heard him mutter before he pushed the door to some store open and waited for her to walk in.

She dropped a sigh before walking into the store and found herself staring at the clothes on the racks, but before she could blurt out anything Kris dragged her forward.

“I would very much appreciate it if you wouldn’t treat me like a thing,” Namjoo shot him a glare.

“I was just urging you along,” Kris commented searching through the rack before pulling out a shirt. “Your size, right?”

She watched him grab the tab then nod before pushing the shirt into her. Namjoo felt her face flush red and she glanced around to see if anyone had overheard. To her luck no customer was near them.

“Put it back,” Namjoo ordered through gritted teeth.

“This one’s nice too,” he held out a dress and glanced at her with a smirk before shoving it into her hands.

“I’m not wearing that,” Namjoo said through gritted teeth again.

“Then wear it when I’m not around,” he told without turning to her.

Namjoo let out an exasperated snort and felt him pull her toward the pants and jeans area.

“I don’t want…”

“I’m sure you want to get out of those clothes more than you’re showing,” he simply said looking at the jeans on sale. Then he turned to her, “Unless you really like wearing Tao’s shirt.”

Namjoo’s mouth dropped open to retort, but nothing shot out. He chuckled before turning away.

“You want a change of what you’re wearing under there too, don’t you?”

For about the fifteenth time she felt her eyes widen before she shoved the clothes at him.

“Keep your comments to yourself, jerk!”

“You owe me two shirts now and two meals every week from now on,” Kris said shoving a few dollars into her hand.

Namjoo crumpled the money in her hand up and glared at him before limping off. After a few steps she paused to glance at the few dollars in her hand and groaned. Yes, she did want a change of clothes and she hated the fact that he knew too.

With another groan she set off and when she stepped out a few minutes later found him standing outside clutching onto a bag.

When he turned toward her she proudly exclaimed, “I spent all your money, every last cent too.”

He snorted at her before turning to walk back to the hotel.

“It wouldn’t kill you to just say a few kind words to me, would it?” he asked.

“For you?” Namjoo let out a laugh. “I don’t think so.”

“Well I guess it’d be kind of creepy seeing you act nice,” Kris commented.

Namjoo glanced up at him with furrowed eyebrows thinking she’d get tired arguing with him before the day even ended. They made it back to the hotel a few minutes later and she sat on the bed to feel pain shoot up from her ankle.

“Give me your keys,” Kris demanded from behind.

Namjoo spun around to look at him, “Why?”

He snatched them from beside her and said, “So while I’m going to get you an ice pack you won’t be able to lock me out.”