Donghae's Unit

Blaze

~_____~

“Was that necessary!? Was that really necessary!?” Donghae’s head, Lee Suk Jin, tossed his papers in front of him. They scattered across the floor, some landing on the edge of his oakwood desk, shine and new.

Donghae stood ahead of him with his head slightly hung down, hands clasped in front of him.

“You went too far this time! Even interrupting an interrogation!”

“But sir!” Donghae’s head shot up. “This ring leader heads both drug trafficking and human trafficking! What the real problem here is that there are little girls in this ring being forced into ion! I need to get into human trafficking to track him down!”

“No! You were handed one job! One job!”

Donghae gritted his teeth. “You have to permit me this new lead! Without it, we won’t be able to nail this ring leader down! Unless we get to him, there is no chance of ending this drug trafficking!”

“You went off line, Lee Donghae!” his boss raised his voice. “Don’t you forget your mistake. You think I don’t know what you’re after?” his eyebrows shot up. “You think I’ve forgotten about Eunhyuk? You think I can’t read the intentions you have behind your plans? You better plan it out carefully, Donghae. Your two favorite employees are going to be hanging on the line if you mess up, even just a little; they’re going to be hanging on the lines.”

Lee Suk Jin watched Donghae grit his jaw unsatisfied with how things were turning out.

“Sir,” Donghae pleaded politely, uniformly, as an employee. “I can do this. Let me change over to human trafficking. I will nail both of these crimes down successfully. I know my duty, sir. I won’t go as far as to danger both my employees.”

Lee Suk Jin narrowed his eyes at Donghae.

“I’ll only allow it if you accept the regulations I give you.”

Donghae narrowed his eyes as well. “Regulations?”

“You are to work as a team. The three of you and your soldiers won’t be able to do this yourselves. It’s impossible to rely on brain alone,” Lee Suk Jin clarified, his wide face twitching very slightly, “I’m having a SWAT team leader called in. She’s going to be bringing in a few helpers to aid you in the process.”

“Sir,” Donghae argued. “You think I’m not capable of doing this alone? Suho can analyze any situation and Namjoo can lead our soldiers. The three of us and our department are enough for this.”  

Lee Suk Jin cut him off, “The more brains the merrier. You cannot do this alone. I expect you all to work together. You’re dismissed.”

~_____~

“I’m warning you not to try anything funny,” Namjoo warned when she unlocked her car. “I’m a black belt and I know my business.”

Tao glanced at her with what looked like a glare.

“Are you glaring at me?” Namjoo questioned with attitude.

Tao rolled his eyes, “Do you think I’m interested in attacking you or something?”

Namjoo rolled her eyes back in retaliation.

“Back or front?”

“I don’t care. Just get in.” Namjoo muttered.

Tao impulsively sat in the passenger’s seat and Namjoo sent him a small frown before starting her car.

“I heard Donghae made a promise to you,” Namjoo began, “but don’t take it so easy. He’s not as simple as he seems.”

“Are you contradicting me?”

“Warning.” Namjoo corrected before driving off onto the highway. “I heard you’re pretty good in martial arts.”

“So?”

“You really don’t know?” Namjoo asked.

“Know what?”

“Forget it,” she dismissed him.

During the silence that became their conversation Namjoo cranked up the volume of the radio and moved her head to the beat of the music. Tao glanced at her from the side and raised an eyebrow half amused and half surprised.

“But what are you?” Tao questioned. “Are you a part time bar girl or something?”

Namjoo’s face contorted up into shock at the question and she glanced at him with a half opened mouth. “What!? Excuse me?”

He laughed at her and turned away.

“Well excuse you,” Namjoo raised her voice, “I’m Kim Namjoo who leads the tactical team. If you get your whipped out there, don’t expect me to be saving you.”

Tao half snorted and half laughed. “You actually don’t look that smart.”

“Look at yourself.” She muttered underneath her breath then shouted at the car before her. “Why are you so slow!? Move it!”

~_____~

Well…this certainly wasn’t what Suho had been expecting. He blinked his eyes wildly at the young stubby woman sitting in front of him in a mini dress that looked to tiny for her bulging s. Not only did it make him feel uncomfortable, but it was all that he felt like looking at at the moment. Suho cleared his throat and his cup dry of ice cold water and set it back onto the table draped in white tablecloth.

They were at a coffee bar and at the very corner of the room a live band was playing some mellow music. Cozy green wallpaper had been pasted onto the walls and comfortable seats of various designs were set out all throughout the tiny bar. It offered a serene atmosphere and Suho could almost feel himself sweating underneath the lamp above them as if he were at a grilling restaurant.

He patted the back of his neck with his sweaty hand, which didn’t offer him help at all, and eyed the restaurant for the fourteenth time.

“So where did you grow up?” she questioned. Her voice was surprisingly lower than her appearance and the red lipstick on her lips seemed to melt underneath his eyes. Again, Suho wasn’t quite sure if he was attracted to her as he thought he’d be.

“Here, in Seoul.” He kindly smiled, but it turned out awkward.

Perhaps he should have gone to the police station to pick Huang Zitao up and let Namjoo resume her games with her buddy, Kyungsoo. That seemed like such a better idea at the moment. Those s looked like they were going to pop.

Suho purposely tilted his head down and massaged the back of his neck.

“I grew up here in Seoul too. I was told you work for the government. Do you make a lot of money from it?” she went on.

“Uh…yea…enough to keep myself alive.” He laughed awkwardly.

“You said you’re done with work, right? The lights here are giving me a headache. Do you want to go to my place and have some tea?”

The ringing of his phone made his heart palpitate and he immediately answered it.

“Where are you?” it was Donghae and he sounded impatient and urgent.

Suho blinked his eyes and raised his head. “I’m out.”

“Of the office?”

“Yea.”

“Get back there now!” the ‘now’ was heavily emphasized and Suho read in Donghae’s voice that something had just come up.

“Am I working overtime again?” Suho asked.

“Where’s Namjoo?” Donghae ignored him.

“Picking up Huang Zitao from the police station.”

“You better be there before I do,” Donghae warned. “Or you’re going to be staying night shift.”

Night shift was a nightmare. It was ugly and just boring. Plus, staying overnight in the military intelligence center was a scary experience. Suho had heard knocking on the doors at night when no one was around and he’d never do it again.

Suho shot up from his seat, “Yes, sir! I’ll be there!” Turning to grab his jacket he apologized without much sincerity, “Enjoy your meal! Oh and…I’ll take my sandwich with me.”

~_____~

The call came by the end of the day. Human trafficking was the new joint case headed by Lee Donghae of the military intelligence unit. Victoria was allowed to bring in a team with her since she wouldn’t be using her military unit, but Donghae’s. This made her think long and hard before she called Yoona in.

“I have a job for you,” Victoria started.

Lay who had gone to the same police academy as she a few years ago was a good candidate. She knew he was working for some police bureau, but didn’t know where he was at the moment. He would be good in aiding with strategic skills.

There was also this Commissioner General Victoria had the opportunity to meet on several occasions. She would ask him to send in someone who was capable of working alongside her.

On the other hand, she would also need someone who had good experience with investigations and someone who knew more about human trafficking than she. Someone knowledgeable like a detective. She decided to also let the Commissioner General pick someone out for her.

And before all else, she would have to wait for their cooperation.

~_____~

“Commander,” a knock on the frame of the door made Lay look up from his desk. “A fax came in for you.”

“Fax?” Lay raised an eyebrow. He rarely received any faxes. “What is it?” He reached his arm out for it.

“Superintendent Song says for you to inform him when you’ve made your decision,” the officer informed, “deadline’s by midnight.”

“Tonight?” Lay asked surprised.

The officer nodded.

“What’s this?” Lay flipped the packet over in his hand. “Seems urgent.” Then looked up at the officer. “Alright, I’ll inform him when I’m done.”

The officer bowed before leaving the office.

~_____~

Chorong marched through the blue carpeted hallway toward her boss’ office. Her heart was racing and she had to run over in her mind if she’d done something or forgotten to do something. Chorong was definitely sure that she hadn’t done anything offensive that would make the Commissioner General call her to his office.

Pausing in front of a clean brown door she tugged at her shirt just to make sure she looked neat and tidy before knocking.

“Come in.” a voice called.

Chorong heaved a deep breath and repeated to herself that she had done nothing wrong. When she opened the door she saw Kris standing inside and they looked at each other surprised.

“Come in,” the Commissioner General who looked like an Asian version of Santa gestured.

Stepping in she closed the door after her and turned to face the Commissioner General. It was a heavenly large office molded with bookshelves, a tiny sitting area, and strange decorations sitting on the oakwood desk. The view of the office was fairly well organized just as she had expected. It was certainly different from her home.

“Sit down.”

“But…why?” Chorong asked once seated. “Sir, I haven’t done anything wrong, have I?”

The Commissioner General laughed heartily before waving, “No, no, don’t worry about anything of that sort yet. The reason why I called you two in here is because there’s been a request.”

Request?

“I was asked to pick two capable underlings for SWAT team leader, Victoria Song. There’s an issue about a human trafficking group that the military intelligence is trying to pin down, so your help has been requested,” the Commissioner General explained. “Your work has been very well so far. I believe you two can make something out of this opportunity. Would you like to accept this offer?”

~_____~

Yoona knocked on the door and Victoria looked up.

“That was quick,” Victoria commented.

Yoona smiled, “The replies have been sent in.”

~_____~

Tao stepped out of Namjoo’s car and craned his neck back to get a better view of the government center. It was far from the blue house, but its size was malicious and greedy. He browsed his eyes over the green yard all around and the wild rosebushes near the side of the pale white staircase. The paved path in front of him would lead him toward the white staircase and up to the large white doors with brassy door knobs. Whatever was inside, he was sure, would bore him.

“Come on,” Namjoo urged from beside him before she passed him as if there was no time to lose. “Aren’t you bored of standing there?”

Tao muttered something underneath his breath before following her in. A golden hallway opened up to him with various elegant furniture too high class for him. A slick light brown coffee table was set out in front of the brick and stone fireplace, which was obviously not on right now. Without giving him the chance to glance around Namjoo turned down a white hallway and they rode the elevator up.

Unlike the golden foyer downstairs, a large expanding white hallway greeted him once the elevator doors opened. There were rooms of various equipment, screens, tables, and computers hidden behind the doors before Namjoo opened a door and let him in. It was carpeted with orange diamonds and was a replicate of the meeting room he’d been in earlier at the police station. A circular table sat in the middle of the room surrounded by some computer chairs and a projector hanging from the ceiling.

What were they planning to do with him now?

“Sit.” Namjoo ordered.

Tao refrained from rolling his own eyes and pulled out a chair before seating himself comfortably into it. Leaning into it he crossed his hands on his lap and looked around the room.

“So, are you going to tell me what you plan to use me for?” questioned Tao. “I thought I was putting my martial arts skills into use.”

He pretended to punch the air and found Namjoo staring at him un-amused.

“Oh yea, I forgot, you’re a black belt.” He remarked then looked her over. “You don’t look very sturdy to me.”

She ignored him and pulled out her phone to check the time. A set of running footsteps forced the two of them to turn and Tao saw a short man rush into the room panting madly. He bent forward helplessly and placed his hands on his knees while trying to in all the air the capacity of his lungs were crying for. His hair was slightly red to the roots and he had the image of a nerd. He reminded Tao of someone who would ace his exams without even studying for them.

“What the heck are you?” Namjoo questioned arrogantly.

“Is…is Donghae here y…yet?” Suho panted when he looked up.

He had pretty shaped eyes and pretty broad shoulders, Tao realized when he fully straightened up.

“What?” Namjoo asked. “You get pulled out from your blind date?”

“Better than the night shift.”

Namjoo snorted and rolled her eyes before crossing her arms. “You’re going to be working overtime anyway.”

“Oh I don’t care. I work overtime every day.”

Tao eyed them confused about what kind of work they did.

“Ah…” Suho finally caught sight of Tao, “is he Huang Zitao?”

“Tao.” Namjoo and Tao corrected in unison then glanced at each other as if annoyed with the other.

Suho raised his eyebrows awkwardly. “So…everything’s alright?”

“Of course. What can’t I handle?” Namjoo retaliated.

“Obviously,” Suho remarked tilting his head toward her, “then why did I get called back?”

“Who called you back?”

“Donghae.”

“I’m here.”

The three of them turned to see the handsome Donghae standing by the doorway. He walked in and closed the door behind him.

“Shall we get started?” Donghae asked.

“What’s this?” Namjoo questioned. “You’re making me work overtime too?”

Donghae shot her a smile without an answer and took a seat beside Tao.

“Seems you made it here alright,” Donghae nodded toward Tao. “Welcome to the team.”

“Team?!” Suho, Tao, and Namjoo repeated in unison.

They turned to look at each other surprised before turning back to Donghae for an explanation.

“Yes, team.” 


***And so, it begins. Chorong, Lay, and Kris with leader Vic. Tao, Namjoo, and Suho with leader Donghae. 

***Poster's up ^^ I took pictures according to the character I have in mind for them.