Devil Partner?

L, the Cold Prince

It was another school day. Soojung, as usual, skipped happily into the classroom, greeting all her classmates cheerfully.

"Annyeong, Hana! Annyeong, Sungyeol! Annyeong, Yoo Kyung!"

Everyone smiled and waved back at her. Sungyeol melted when she greeted him. His cheeks started to heat up again, and it was turning red. Seeing this, Suzy blew her fringe in annoyance. She stopped at the empty seat in front of her. *Aish, Hyeri is still absent...* She sighed. She glanced at the seat beside her and was surprised that Yuri was absent too.

An unfamiliar teacher walked into tha classroom after the bell rang.

"Alright, class. I will be teaching you people today because Ms Jeong is absent today." The teacher said with a monotone voice.

"As expected.."Soojung mumbled and glanced at L.

"So, I want to pair you people up for a project." the teacher cleared her troat and continued."I want you to present a piece of essay about relationships, not boy-girl relationship, but those between classmates, teacher and students or parents and children. You can choose yourselves. The best piece will be submitted to Crestive Creative Writing Competition.you will have until next month to do it."

*Hmm.. Essay about relationships..*Soojung brainstormed as she used her left hand to support her chin.

"Teacher, can we choose our own partner?" Sungyeol asked

"No, you have to pair  with the person sitting beside you."The teacher said with no expression and folded her arms.Upon hearing this, everyone whined and frowned.

"But, teacher, this student here don't have a partner," Chansung pointed to L. Soojung then noticed that L's table was by itself, he was th odd one out since the class has odd number.

"Well, he can pair up with the girl there." The teacher pointed towards Soojung. Soojung widened her eyes in surprise.

"Me..me?" She pointed to herself. The teacher nodded, much to her disappointment. *Crap! Why didn't Yuri come today?* Soojung was complaining in her mind as L kicked his table. His table slided towards Soojung;s table and hit it with a loud bang.He then sat down with that expressionless face.Again

"I give you 15 minutes to discuss." The teacher said and turned her attention to the laptop on the teacher's desk.

"Ahem..so,Narrative stories right? what kind of relationships are we going to write about?"Soojung took the initiative to start the conversation with L. Sensing their awkwardness, Soojung decided to be a little more friendly since they were partners afterall.

"Well, Student-teacher relationship? Parents-children relationships? Or, sibling's relationship?"Soojung said as she counted with her fingers. L flinched at the last one. Soojung was puzzled.

"Anything." L mumbled staring at the desk blankly.

Soojung made a face as she could not get a good response from him.

"Well, I know this is out of topic, your real name is Myungsoo?" Soojung asked, trying to befriend him, hoping that their reationship will get better.

"Yea." L said as he shifted in his seat. Still no expression. Soojung pouted. She moved her chair closer to L's.

"So..hi myungsoo? Why do you call youself L? Out of the 26 letters, L? And out of the thousands or millions of names, you chose a letter?" Soojung tilted her head to one side and looked at L questioningly.

L seemed a bit annoyed."You don't have to know."He said as he put his hands into his pockets.

"Geez... this stupid dude. Dumb bastard. Cold and heartless bully." Soojung purposely said it loud enough for him to hear. He did not seemed to care."Some rude disgusting fella..." She continued as she could not get a reaction or a single expression on his face. Be it a happy or even an angry expression, its all better than that scary expressionless face of his.

"De..devil?" Soojung hesitated before saying that. L jerked his head up and looked at her. *Oh, he reacted!* Soojung tried to get more reaction from him and continued,"I say, you are a scary devil. Who bullied a girl till she is absent for school." Soojung said louder.

L's hands was shaking in his pocket and his face turned red in anger. He started to breathe in and out heavily.

"You-you said what?"He clenched his teeth and looked at her.

"I said, you..you're a devil?" Soojung hesitated and spoke softly.

L immediately stood up from his seat and grabbed Soojung's collar. "What-what did you say?" He breathed heavily and whispered angrily at her.

"That student over there! Stop what you are doing now! " The teacher shouted at L angrily.

L took in a deep breath and slowly released his grasp on Soojung's collar. Soojung was frozen in her position, shocked by what had happened. L tried to calm down and grabbed the table as he breathed in and out. "You're lucky that we are in the classroom, if not I would've flung you into the pond as well." L said as he gritted his teeth. Soojung shivered at his glare, it was so icy and cold.

*Why 'devil'? Why did he get angry?* Soojung wondered as she rubbed her palms in fright.