The Art of Fooling

He’s My Boytoy, She’s My Plaything

[Heena]

            “Such preppy uniforms,” Zelo commented from my bed as I finished doing my make up. “And god Heena, you look fine without make up. You don’t need to put so much on.”

“I’m not,” I said. “Less than how much Himchan wears when he goes clubbing.”

“No one wears more than Himchan though,” Zelo pointed out.

“True that,” I laughed, putting everything away. I turned to Zelo and pulled him off my bed, fixed his hair, and straightened his tie.

“Very preppy,” I agreed. The uniforms were sky blue and baby yellow, making us look like freaking anime characters or something.

“Almost making me miss our old ones,” Zelo rolled his eyes. “We’re not ing sailor moon.”

Yongguk stepped into the room, “Ready? Oh whoa… those uniforms are very… up in your face.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I said, grabbing my backpack. “Let’s go y’all.”

“So,” Zelo said, turning around from the passenger’s seat. We were on our way to school. “How shall we act for the first day?”

“Don’t be yourselves,” Yongguk advised. “Probably will scare all the rich stuck up kids away.”

“I’d be okay with that,” I muttered. I smirked, “Let’s act super perfect."

“Perfect? I could do that,” Zelo said. “It’ll be boring though.”

“It’ll be fun when we show them our real selves in a couple weeks,” I pointed out.

“True that,” Zelo laughed. “Aight, perfect it is.”

“You two are messed up…” Yongguk muttered.

“True that,” we both said in unison, laughing as Yongguk said something about being the older brother of the stupidest kids ever.

***

“Class, welcome our two new students, Junhong and Haemi,” our first period dance instructor said. She was young and ty looking pretty looking, with a nice dancer’s body. “Why don’t you guys introduce yourselves?”

Zelo spoke up, “Hi, I’m Junhong. We just moved from Myungdong, but I’m excited to attend a music and arts school. Hope we all get along.”

I bit my lip to keep from laughing. Oh god. He already had a whole bunch of girls throwing him interested looks.

I changed my lip biting to make me look nervous, “Hey, I’m Haemi. I hope we all get along too.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Zelo throw me an amused look at my fake nervousness.

“So are you two siblings?” someone asked.

“Twins,” Zelo answered. People looked intrigued.

“Alright, everyone go change,” Miss Yoo said. She handed us each slips of paper with a locker number and combination on them. “You’ll find everything you need in these lockers.”

“Rich school,” Zelo mumbled under his breath as we separated for the locker rooms. I smirked.

Once everyone was changed into comfortable, expensive, dance attire, Miss Yoo assigned us partners and announced the beginning of the ball dance unit.

“Hey, I’m Minhyuk,” said my partner as we found an empty spot in the room.

“Hi,” I smiled up at him. He looked like the good looking playboy type.

“I like your hair color,” Minhyuk said, an amused smile on his face. “Have you two been blonde for a while?”

“Last year,” I said. “Halfway through first year.”

After one of Jiyong’s crazy parties, I had woken up blonde the next morning. Everyone had a great time laughing at me, and tied down Zelo and bleached his hair too. After that… it just stuck.

“You’re a second year?” Minhyuk asked, a hint of surprise in his voice. “You look older…”

Oh what déjà vu…

“I get that a lot,” I smiled, trying to keep my voice light. “But yep, I’m a second year.”

The rest of the period was filled with small talk as we went through a few basic ball dance steps and routines. I glanced over at Zelo a couple times. He seemed to be having fun with a tall, pretty girl with straight black hair.

And the day continued this way.

Pretty boring, I’d say.

 

[Zico]

“God, why is everyone being so ing loud…” I muttered as I picked my way through the crowded cafeteria.

“Everyone’s talking about the new twins,” Taeil said. “Did you hear?”

“No…?”

“They transferred today. Second years, Haemi and Junhong,” Taeil said. “I heard the sister is really hot.”

“Oh really?” I said, not very interested. If they transferred to this school, it probably meant they were like all the other boring students.

“And they’re blonde,” Taeil added.

“Really now…” I laughed slightly, running a hand through my own blonde hair.

“Should we let them know?” Kyung asked.

The unwritten rule of the school was that no one, other than me, went blonde. Or else bad things happened.

“Nah…” I mused. “I want to meet them first.”

“Minhyuk’s in the same dance class as them, so we’ll probably run into them sooner or later,” Taeil grinned. “Ah, speak of the devil.”

Minhyuk came over to our table and took a seat.

“So, so, so?” Taeil asked eagerly.

He smirked at Taeil’s excitement. “The new kids?”

“Don’t really care for the guy,” Taeil said. “The girl? Haemi?”

“As pretty as they get,” Minhyuk grinned. “And she has a nice bod.”

Taeil grinned, “Ah, I’m so interested. I want to meet her.”

“Why don’t we have a bet?” I suggested. Instantly, everyone was looking at me. “Just a fun little bet… to see who can hook up with her first.”

“I’m down,” Taeil grinned.

“She didn’t really seem like the type to hook up with guys though…” Minhyuk muttered.

“Adds to the fun then,” I smirked.

Minhyuk laughed, “Alright, count me in.”

“Two losers host the next party,” I said.

“Aw gahd, I hate hosting parties… such a pain,” Taeil muttered. “Guess I’ll just have to win.”

“You’re playing against god here,” I laughed.

“Don’t forget, I’ve got the upper hand,” Minhyuk smirked. “I’m dance partners with her for the rest of the unit.”

 

[Zelo]

“Pretty boring day,” I summed up as we walked to the subway station.

“Sounds about right,” Heena said, pulling her sunglasses out of her bag.

“You look like an idol… god, take those off,” I laughed at her oversized aviators.

“What, embarrassed to walk with me?” Heena laughed.

As we made our way home, I bought us ice cream and we just wandered around, taking two more hours than necessary to reach home.

“How was school?” Mom called out from the living room.

“Fun, fun,” Heena sang out in her high soprano voice. “I think I made some friends.”

“Mom, I think everyone hates me,” I joked, knowing she would take it seriously. “Kidding, kidding. It was fun.”

After fooling the mother, we went into my room ‘to do homework’.

“You didn’t forget, right?” I asked as I pulled out a couple notebooks from my backpack.

Heena rolled her eyes, “How could I…”

We exchanged notebooks. I copied Heena’s language arts and social studies homework and she copied my math and science.

“School’s such a blow off,” Heena said, tying her hair up. “They say ‘oh, our school is so high class! We challenge our students in every way! But I swear, Jiyong challenged us so much more.”

I thought about the hours and hours we had all spent together, not only practicing for competitions, but also studying together. We taught each other the subjects we were strong in, and through that, we always got the top scores of the school. Jiyong wouldn’t allow any single member to fall below 10th place. Perfection was a requirement.

“Daehyun and the others want to hang out tomorrow,” Heena said, looking at her phone. She and I exchanged looks.

“Tell them… we can’t. Just make up some bull excuse. Say we’re busy with homework,” I said. I missed Daehyun and Jongup, but they could wait. Bad things always happened when we hung out in big groups.

“We can’t keep running away from them…” Heena sighed as she told Daehyun what I had just said. “Once involved, always involved.”

“We don’t belong to them…” I argued.

Heena gave me a look, “We pretty much do.”