Baekhyun - The Tennis Club President

EXO ONESHOT COMPILATION
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hello! My name's Lee Yoo Ri. Nice to meet you!" I smiled as I introduced myself in front of a new set of faces in class.

My name is Lee Yoo Ri. I'm 18 and I am in my junior year in High School. I am supposed to be in my senior year right now, but because my dad and I constantly moved from one place to another, I got delayed for one year. It was lucky enough for me though. My dad is a marine researcher, a job that allowed him to travel around the world. Since he's the only family I got, because my parents separated five years ago, he makes sure I'm always with him wherever he goes. And believe me when I say I have only several countries that I haven't been to. Being a researcher's daughter wasn't a thing I regret, after all, I've been to so many good places and my dad receives pay that was more than enough to support my education and our basic needs but sure there are things I feel bad for not being able to reside in one place, like not being able to keep permanent friends and needless to say, not being able to find myself a boyfriend. I am 18 after all and I've never been in a relationship, my entire life. I'm not entirely unwanted, thank heavens, but I'm not that lucky with love either. 

After several years of living outside Korea, I am finally back! My dad finally received a job that's within South Korea that would allow us to stay for long, probably the longest time we actually get to stay in a country.

"So, which club are you interested in, Yoo Ri?" A guy asked me.

"Club?" I asked, confused.

"Yeah, everybody's signing up for one right now, after all, club applications only last for a day." A girl from behind me added.

"I'm in the Basketball team, would you want to join?" Someone asked me. I'm not really sure who's speaking right now, I can't remember their names!

"Do you like art? Photography? I'm in a club that offers them!" Another person asked me.

"I'm not really sure what I'd like. Maybe I'd just look around later on." I finally spoke.

"Then I'd come with you!" One offered.

"No, she's coming with me!" One defended.

Now that they've mentioned it, I wonder what club should I join in? To be honest, I always want to try something different, I don't like getting stuck with the same old stuff, I always want something that would challenge me.

Lunch break and I was left alone, not because I got left behind but because I asked to look around alone. I haven't been able to roam around and see the school for myself.

Varsity? Naw, I've been a varsity once, 7th grade. Photography and the Arts? Naw, I've been in one, freshman year, high school. Literature? Been a writer for the school's pub, sophomore year. Tennis club? .... Hold it. Have I been in a tennis club? No. Definitely no. 

I ran in circles trying to locate the Tennis club's room. Lunch break's almost over, club applications extend only until 5 pm today, I don't have much time left. Thankfully enough, I was able to find the club room. I realized I was continuously missing it as I roamed around in a panic. I wasn't able to notice the small sign above the door frame that easily read, "The Tennis Club" scrawled in a neat handwriting. I opened the door and was greeted by an almost empty room. 

"Hi. Uhm. I'd like to sign up for the club." I greeted at the person standing in front of the table meters away from where I stood.

It was a boy and he was taller than me. His body showed off that he was an athlete, so I assume he's definitely part of the tennis club. I couldn't see his face though, he had his head lowered down, focused with compiling and arranging documents in his desk.

I stood there for a good few minutes, constantly being ignored and my time wasted. I let out a several excuse me's and intentional coughs, but he was too busy to be disturbed. The wall clock reminded me that I was about to be late for my next class so I rudely went over to where the boy was and tapped his shoulder.

"Oh, you scared me. Hello, may I help you?" The boy took his earphones off and smiled, his pearly whites beautifully visible, eyes smiling like crescents.

He had his earphones on. Jeez.

"I want to sign up for the tennis club. Where do I list my name?" I asked in a mighty tone.

The guy continued to smile as he scanned me from head to toe. "Alright little tiger, hold on." 

He walked towards the door, opened it and removed the paper taped on the other side. He came back, searched for a pen and held both the paper and the pen out to me. "Usually, we don't allow non-members to barge in our club room without consent, we tape our official sign-up sheet outside the door and students just list themselves from there, but since you've already invited yourself in, you can sign yourself up here." He smiled. 

.

"I'm sorry." I sheepishly said. "I didn't know."

"Haha, I understand. You're new here, aren't you?"

"Yes, it's my first day here today."

"Ah, I see, go on. Shouldn't you hurry? It's almost 1."

I gasped. Damn. I'm late. I immediately got the pen and inked down my name as fast as I could. "Uh, thank you and I apologize for my rude behavior sunbae...?"

"Baekhyun." He laughed. "Byun Baekhyun." 

What? Bacon? Like the pork?  I bowed my head swiftly, said my goodbyes and went out the door, almost knocking down the umbrella rack resting beside the entrance. God, that was embarassing.

"Hey!" Bacon shouted, as he followed me out.

"Uh, yes?" I turned around.

"There's a welcome game for new members later after class at the school's tennis court, you'd come, right?"

I just nodded and ran as fast I could, hoping the teacher would arrive later than me.

Fortunately enough, I made it even before the class started. The least thing I would want as I start at this new school is have the impression of being the tardy student. Math class was as usual, boring. No matter where I was, Math always bore me, I don't know why numbers and I don't click. The bacon guy from a while ago mentioned about a welcome game for the new members and I did say I'd go, but, should I, really? Besides the fact that I know nothing about Tennis, I don't think I'm in the proper uniform to play. 

When classes were over, I waited until everyone was out the classroom before I left for the welcome game. I haven't told anyone I signed up for the tennis club, I didn't want them to know I turned down their offers of me joining their own clubs. There were club meetings scheduled today so everyone was busy, a perfect distraction.

Again, I got lost trying to locate the tennis court. Why is this campus so big and puzzling? I arrived at the meeting place and was surprised to see that not a single soul was present. Did I perhaps, heard wrong? Or did I arrive too early or too late? 

"Glad you made it." A familiar voice greeted me from behind. 

It was Bacon. He was in his complete tennis uniform, looking very dapper and athletic, with his gym bag and racquet bag slung over his right shoulder. I'm not sure if it's because of his intimidating presence in the tennis court that made me feel small or I'm just really small, I don't know. But the more I look and examine him, the more I think he's actually pretty cool. "Uh, yeah, would be sad to miss it."

He smiled. "Think so?"

"Uhm, if you wouldn't mind me asking, where are the others?" I followed him innocently as he headed towards the small bench by the end of the court and watched him put his gym and racquet bag down.

"I'm not so sure myself, I clearly announced we'd be holding a welcome game for the newcomers." He said in a disappointed tone as he started warming his arms up. "Let's wait for a bit longer."

Bacon ped his racquet bag and pulled a black tennis racquet out. He slipped his fingers through the strings and swung the racquet once. "Should we test your tennis skills as we wait? You must be a good player judging from your eagerness to enlist."

"Y-Yeah." I lied. Well what was I supposed to do? Say I haven't played before and the reason I signed up was because I haven't been in to a tennis club before? 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter