Chapter 9

Circle of trust

 

Jaejoong was cheering rum with Yoochun at his bar in the evening. They laughed about today’s incident with Norma at Sylvester.

 

“You have no idea how satisfied I was to see her fading face…finally she’ll have no choice but to give him up.”     Jaejoong put his glass on the table.

 

“Actually I do know how satisfied you were and as for that woman she’ll be bound to. No one can give up that sort of achievement.”      Yoochun took up another bottle.

 

“But its all thanks to you. I had no idea what to that if I hadn’t called you…thanks man.”    Jaejoong patted on Yoochun’s back.

 

“I told you. I’m a genius in this area and I like meddling in drama.”    Yoochun smirked.

 

“No wonder Son Ga-in threw you out. You’re too conceited for her.”     Jaejoong teased taking a sip.

 

“Don’t talk of that woman…she pisses me off. Every time she’s on my tv I turn it off.”     Yoochun grimly stated.

 

“Why don’t you use your head now in this area?”    Jaejoong said catching Yoochun’s attention. While Jaejoong was oblivious about what he said, Yoochun’s mind drifted off to another one of his genius schemes.

 

“I could befriend her…make her fall for me…and then…break her in front of the world.”       Yoochun mumbled.

 

“Mmm what did you say?”      Jaejoong asked.

 

“Nothing Hyung. You just gave me a fantastic treat.”     Yoochun smiled.

 

“Glad to hear that.”    Jaejoong remarked without knowing what he meant.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Did you know Kim Jaejoong is her foster son’s blood uncle?”

 

“So that means the boy is actually the next heir in line?”

 

“Since he didn’t marry and his relatives didn’t take over so the boy is actually in line.”

 

“Oh Norma is so lucky to have him. he is her jackpot to millions!”

 

Norma was hearing all it..and it was seriously insulting for her to be talked about like that. giving Jihoon an opportunity to bond with his paternal family seemed like a mistake now. She had to tolerate so many things.

The girls made it seem that she was greedy while men thought she was doing it for attention of Jaejoong.

She stood there washing her hands before the next order came in. the kitchen was pretty busy as always but not for these women. They always had time for petty talks.

 

“Order for two Roti Canai! You’re up Norma!”    the waiter shouted and she immediately started with the dough.

 

“Who would want breakfast at evening?”   one of the male cook asked. Norma merely shrugged. She suddenly thought of taking some home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junsu was suddenly pulled by one of his subordinates for evening snack. His subordinate was a Malaysian who wanted to have his home land food.

“Why are we here Ae?”     Junsu asked.

 

“You’re gonna love the food here. My wife brought a parcel home when I was missing my home and damn…it was so much like home.”    Ae answered excitingly. Junsu chuckled. Ae was married to a Korean woman and he was quite a wife lover; always talking about how great his wife was.

 

“But why this hotel? There are better places.”    Junsu said thinking of Jaejoong’s hotel.

 

“Because its closer. Now come on brother!”    Ae pulled Junsu in.

 

Junsu looked at the hotel. It was living upto its standards for a 3 star hotel. Sylvester didn’t look anything like low standard at all.  they took a seat of two and took up the menu. Junsu didn’t even know the names. People specially women were looking at him.

 

“Brother you’re attracting quite a lot of women…as usual.”    Ae remarked lazily.

 

“Mmm…Since you’re here your choice of food.”   Junsu suggested avoiding his other remark.

 

“Malaysian food! You choose it.”    Ae yelped.

 

“But I don’t even know its dish.”    Junsu whined lightly.

 

“Come on Hyung you choose.”    Ae’s eyes beamed.

 

“Alright.”    Junsu scanned in malay section     “I want this roti canai. It sounds simple.”    He smiled.

 

“It is. Its breakfast…”

 

“Nevermind my mind is set on it so I want it.”    Junsu pressured this time.

 

“Ok…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After the dish was served Junsu just looked at. It was nothing but red curry broth and roti as they called it…was round flour bread.

 

“This is it?”    Junsu raised his eyebrow.

 

“I told you it was breakfast. But its been a while since I had this one. lets dig in.”     Ae rubbed his hand and tore a piece and dipped into the broth; then put it into his mouth.             “Mmmm…I missed this…my mother actually cooked like this.”      Ae’s face softened. Junsu saw him and tried it himself…

 

He chewed…and tasted the curry…something seemed exciting about this. Junsu quickly tore another and dipped in the curry and ate it.

 

“Yo brother slow down…nobody’s gonna eat it all.”        Ae assured awkwardly.

 

“Ae order a parcel for me. I’m taking it for my father.”

 

“Cool!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Alright Norma you got a parcel then you’ll be off.” 

 

“Aright…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma took off as soon as she was done with the order. While she was going out she noticed a particular character…she finds him everywhere these days.

She was about to call him but something stooped her. Her colleagues has been talking behind her back about random men coming even though it had been just two. Another one was with him laughing. She quickly walked out.

 

“Miss Jin?”     how did he even see her?

She stopped without turning back.

 

“Miss Jin what a coincidence? Ae why don’t you go ahead? I’ll leave later.”

 

“Ok brother.”   Ae bowed to Norma and she responded. He left the hotel quickly while Junsu walked slowly.

 

“Good to see you inspector Kim.”   She looked around whether there were any of her kitchen colleagues. Fortunately there weren’t.

 

“You’re here to eat? I didn’t see you.”    Junsu smiled.

 

“I work here actually.”    She normally answered relieved.

 

“Mind if I walk you out?”    Junsu offered.

 

“My car is outside.”     Norma pointed.

 

“Still…”   Junsu suggested. Norma briefly nodded as a response and they walked out of the hotel.

 

“So how was your son’s party?”    Junsu asked.

 

“He enjoyed it. what about your nephew?”

 

“I didn’t visit but my cousin said he liked it. can I ask you something?”    Junsu asked all of a sudden. Norma looked at him as a response.                “What should I address you as? Miss or Mrs.?”

She actually didn’t know how to answer that. it was quite embarrassing. She thought it was getting awkward but he’s a police officer; she cant lie.

 

“You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to.”     Junsu said thinking it might be her boyfriend’s child who left her. She might be a single mother which is embarrassing t talk about.

 

“Alright inspector Kim.”   Norma said relieved she didn’t have to answer it unaware of Junsu’s thought.

 

“Call me Junsu.”   He smiled and waved his hand as farewell; he walked off leaving Norma near her car. She felt bad for not telling Junsu anything

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Norma was thinking whether she should tell Jihoon about today. Jihoon was in his room. He looked at the gift boxes knowing what they were inside. However his sight fell on the smallest box. He picked it and opened it too see an angry bird mug. He smiled lightly…this was one time that his uncle got something right.

 

Norma sighed…she had till tomorrow.

 

“Jihoon could you come down here please?”    Norma called and she heard him coming down. He stood in front of her.         “Please sit down.”

 

“Ok.”    He took a seat next to her.    “What is it?”   he asked. Norma looked at him wondering whether she should tell him or not. She didn’t want to burden him but she also didn’t want to hide anything from him. she didn’t want him to go feeling burdened upon her…he might do that if he knows.

 

“Jihoon things might get difficult from now on. I have this hunch after yesterday but whatever happens…I wont leave you…ever. So..I might not be able to provide as before…and you have to bare with me.”

Jihoon looked at her confusingly then it hit his head.

 

“What did he do ma? What did uncle Jaejoong do?”

 

“…He…gave me 24 hours to hand you over…or else…I might lose my job and perhaps…our home.”    Norma stated. Jihoon shut his eyes in disappointment.

 

“Can we take help from aunt Ga-in or anyone?”     Jihoon asked.

 

“No..he knows everything about me and my connections; he’s threatening to snatch their jobs too by illegal means. I cant risk their positions.”

 

“I cant believe this…what do you want to do?”     Jihoon asked.

 

“I…want to escape taking you with me. That is if you want to come with me.”

 

“Then I’ll go with you.”    Jihoon stood up.     “I told him specifically not to put you in misery now…. I don’t want to go to him.”

 

“You sure?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Lets not tell anyone about this.”    Norma added and he nodded.

 

She smiled. She was ready…so was he. Norma took up her phone and called the Kim corp. she had gotten from the card.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaejoong was finally home however he saw his mother sitting alone. She was just looking outside with nothing in her eyes.

 

“Omma? What are you doing out here? You are supposed to be sleeping.”     Jaejoong asked

 

“Jaejoong?”   she looked at him    “I’m just missing Hyungjoon…”   

Jaejoong took a seat beside her.

 

“I miss him too…but I’m here as well and so is your grandson.”

 

“When will you bring him Jaejoong?”

 

“Tomorrow…for sure.”

 

“So the mother finally agreed…we should repay her…she had taken care of him during the toughest time. We really should repay her greatly.”    His mother said lightly.

 

“How about rewarding her with a house? And her own cooking institute? How’s that?”    Jaejoong smilingly suggested.

 

“The girl doesn’t seem to be after these or else she would have given him a long time ago. How did you manage to persuade her now?”    she asked looking at him.

 

“I had my ways…”

 

“You didn’t do anything bad right?”

 

“No omma…”

 

“Listen Jaejoong I only want to see him. it doesn’t matter if he doesn’t to live here with us. I only want to see him. but don’t ever think of doing something bad to get my grandson here…”

 

“No mother I wont. Just trust me. Ok?”   

 

“Hmm…”     his mother yawned.

 

“Go to sleep omma.”

 

His mother had fallen asleep on his shoulder. He didn’t bother calling her instead he laid her down with a cushion on the couch. He left the dinibut ing room and closed the door behind him.

 

“Nobody goes to that room. You, bring a blanket.”    The maid bowed and left while another one came.

 

“What is it?”     Jaejoong annoyed, asked.

 

“A message came from your office from Kwon Jiyoung. He said its urgent.”     The maid held out the phone.

 

“Give me that; leave.”    The maid scurried out while Jaejoong called Jiyoung. The employee received it.     “What made you call me this late Jiyoung?”    Jaejoong asked rather unhappy.

 

“Sorry boss but it was urgent. Jin Norma called me just about a minute ago.”      Jiyoung said making Jaejoong anxious. He stepped further away from the room.

 

“What did she say?”    Jaejoong whispered.

 

“Even though I didn’t get it…I’ll quote it ‘Mr. Kim doesn’t need to come tomorrow because my answer is set. I have decided not to give up what is mine and…’…”     Jiyoung stopped.

 

“And? Read ahead!”

 

“Jihoon is mine…”    he finished. Jaejoong remained quiet.   “Boss?”

Jaejoong hung up and breathed in. he needed to talk to Yoochun. The maid came in with a blanket in front of Jaejoong.

 

“Sir?”

He forgot his tension for a moment and took the blanket then entered the room. He walked to his sleeping mother and put the blanket on her.

She looked so peaceful…

 

“Sorry omma but I’m getting him back no matter what?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Junsu was sitting with his father on the dining table eating the parcel food.

 

“This is good…in fact too good.”   His father remarked.

 

“This is the best I have tasted since…”   Junsu trailed off with a smile.

 

“How’s work going for you? Meeting any damsels in distress?”    his father tried to cheer him up seeing him.

 

“Plenty…hey appa?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you…believe in fate?”

 

“Well…I didn’t when I was still in line for the business; but after I met Junhee…I started believing it. that’s what made me to quit the company.”    His father said.

 

“Thank god for that…or else I would have ended up like Hyung-grouchy.”   Junsu started sniggering.

 

“Don’t make fun of Jaejoong; he has a lot to hold.”    His father smacked him on the head laughing himself

 

“He’s gonna kill me for that..hahaha…”    he kept laughing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma took her scarf while Jihoon was drinking his juice before leaving. They quickly took the keys and went out. after driving Jihoon to school, Norma went to work; as soon as she entered the hotel she saw her boss, the head of the kitchen dept. she walked towards the man who seemed to be fidgeting now and often.

 

 

“Chief?”

 

“Oh Norma! Glad to see you; I need to talk to you outside.”    They both walked outside when he added     “We have a problem.”

 

“What is it?”   she turned to him.

 

“Well I don’t know how to do this but our dept has been lacking the necessary finance and…and…”   he went on with his constant babbling.

 

“Chief, tell me what the problem is.”    She calmly asked. The man sighed and took out a paper.

 

“Norma I’m sorry but…I’m afraid I have to fire you.”    He added.

 

“What? Why?”   she anxiously asked.

 

“Well..well as I said we are running out of…”

 

“Am I the only one to be fired?”    she asked.

 

“Now…now its nothing like that…its nothing like…yes.”    He gave up. Norma looked at him disbelievingly. The man looked at her nervously.     “Don’t worry, here this is your salary for this month.”      He handed her a month of salary.

 

“I’ve worked half a month only and you’re giving me an entire month’s salary. At least let me work for the rest of the month till I find another job.”    Norma said reasoned.

 

“I…I cant Jin…I’m sorry…”   

Norma couldn’t match up his reasoning with his actions. But she knew he was desparate to kick her out so she couldnt embarrass herself more.

She merely looked at him firm faced until it hit head…

 

“What did Mr. Kim tell you? Did he threaten you?”    she asked looking him in the eye.

 

“No…no. its not him. why..why would you think its him?”      he stuttered.

Norma nodded understandingly. She looked at the money and halved it; giving it to her boss.

 

“I worked half a month so I should take half…thank you chief.”     She smiled and bowed; stepping into her car she sped ahead.

------------------------------------------------------------

She unlocked her house and entered tiredly. Her day just started and this happened…she threw her scarf on the sofa; when she was about to sit the door bell rang. Norma wrapped her scarf again and opened the door to see none other than her landlord or rather landlady.

 

“Mrs Choi come in…”    Norma let her in; closing the door behind.     “Do you want tea or coffee?”

 

“Uh nothing Norma. I’m here to return half of your rent that you paid.”    The landlady handed a couple of thousand dollars in her hand. Norma looked questioningly at her.          “I’m cancelling our tenancy agreement…”

 

“Did I do something wrong Mrs. Choi?”    Norma softly asked.

 

“Of course not…I’m…I have someone else who wanted this with a better price. Sorry Norma….”      The woman couldn’t smile.     “You have 36 hours to vacate…”

 

“Yes Mrs. Choi.”    Norma nodded. The doorbell again disrupted them. Mrs. Choi opened the door to reveal the man who made her do all of this,

 

“Mr. Kim!”    mrs. Choi panicked catching Norma’s attention.         “I was just cancelling our tenancy….”

 

“That’s fine Mrs. Choi, you can leave now. My employee has already transferred the amount to your account.”       Jaejoong entered the house noticing Norma.      “I would like to talk to her alone.”     

Mrs. Choi bowed and scurried out of the house while another man entered opening his sunglasses; smirking. He looked similarly expensive to Jaejoong.

 

“She looks better in person.”    The other man commented     “Name’s Park Yoochun. You have heard of me.”    

She did from Ga-in but she didn’t dare speak of her or else they’ll do something to Ga-in. it seemed that they didn’t know her connection to Ga-in.

 

“Enough introduction Yoochun.”    Jaejoong looked at her.    “Change of plans, you’ll vacate this house within 6 hours.”      He firmly stated getting glares from her.      “I warned you…but you can hand him now…”    Jaejoong smirked.

 

“Wow…look at her glaring…so spicy.”     Yoochun remarked causing Norma to feel humiliating. She avoided Yoochun completely.

 

“You still have and everything will go back to normal. You’ll have your job and your house back, except…you cant see Jihoon anymore.”     Jaejoong added.

Norma kept shut.

 

“You don’t talk do you? Consider yourself lucky I persuaded him not to involve the police. You know how soft hearted I am towards women.”    Yoochun added.

Norma didn’t like Yoochun interfering the talk so she finally decided to talk…

 

“I know who you are. You were kicked out by the Son from a commercial. I heard that much about you from the tv.”     She firmly stated causing Yoochun’s face to go grim. Jaejoong clenched his teeth in humiliation of his friend. He raised a finger at her offensively; stating.

 

“No one wanted your opinion…you dirty blood.”

 

“Jihoon is of the same blood Mr. Kim…from your brother.”    She countered back.

 

“You…”

 

“Easy there Hyung…”    Yoochun held Jaejoong       “Please let me converse with her; you cool your head in the car.”

Jaejoong looked at him and Yoochun calmly nodded. Jaejoong gave a last glare towards her.

 

“You will not be picking him up from school. My employee will get him..”       Jaejoong finally left the house.

 

Yoochun’s gaze followed Jaejoong until he left; then he looked Norma with seriousness.

 

“I don’t appreciate when people talks to my friends like that. specially people like you…”    he stepped forward her until she realized that he was dangerously close to her causing her to stumble back shockingly. She immediately rushed atleast 3 feet opposite from him near the door.

 

“What do you think you’re doing?!”     she growled.

 

“You know…you’re very young to be a mummy; above that a good one with every quality…bold, brains and…beautiful…”    he smirked; his lips and closing in on her.

 

“Get away from me bastard!”     her back hit the wall and she was ready to hit him. her face clearly showed fear and anger.

 

Yoochun stopped and stepped back.

 

“Wrong…”     he smirked at her fear.         “You’re the bastard here however men like me don’t see a background of that who are so…fresh and untouched…and that is just what I need. What do you think Norma? I’ll be gentle…”      he sleekly stated.  

 

Norma’s eyes widened at his words…how dare he say that? He just wasn’t offering ion to a woman…but to a mother too.

She looked at him with shock which later turned into disgust. His words disgusted her and insulted her motherhood as if he slapped her tightly. She refrained herself from hitting him.

 

“Get out.”    she muttered aggressively. Yoochun smirked in triumph and left the room closing the door behind him.

 

Norma fell on the floor unable to bear the pressure…she wanted to cry out very much…but couldn’t.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The driver turned right to their direction; Jaejoong sat grimly while Yoochun was enjoying the view outside smiling. Jaejoong noticed and nudged him.

 

“What the hell are you happy about?”   Jaejoong muttered.

 

“She’s a challenge Hyung; entertainment for a boring life like mine….”

 

“Challenge! Rather pain…”    Jaejoong rubbed his temple    “Besides I thought Son Ga-in was a challenge…”     he added

Yoochun refused to answer.

 

“What makes you think she’s entertaining?”     Jaejoong asked mumbling.

 

“The way she reacted; she scrambled away as if I was a monster…”    he replied lightly     “Most women…are fascinated by it.”

 

“Even Son Ga-in isn’t fascinated by you. What do you call that?”    Jaejoong tried to make his point here.

 

“I call that ‘war’, where both sides have equal chance of winning…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Nor ma couldn’t think straight. She ran upstairs and quickly packed her and Jihoon’s clothes. She had to consult with him first but she also had to make preparations.

She tore a paper and wrote something then pinned it onto the fridge.

 

 She rushed out of the house with the bags; stepping them into her car and heading off to the school.

 

Jihoon stepped out of his school due to lunchbreak and saw his mother there however with worrisome look on her face. Something was wrong…

They quickly left a note for early leave to the teacher and they entered the car without losing time and they headed home to get other missed materials and Norma..explained everything.

 

The car stopped at their home with 4 hours to go.

 

“I want to take you with me.”   Norma said looking at him.    “Do you want to come with me?”

Jihoon was fuming mad…he was furious as hell. This is the promise his uncle kept…just like his father.

 

“More than anything.”

 

“Nothing will be like before. You will lack many things…”    Norma added.

 

“It’ll be easier this time since I’m not in my diapers anymore.”    Jihoon smiled genuinely.

Norma smiled back; she was about to start the car but Jihoon stopped.

 

“I forgot something. Just few seconds.”   He rushed out of the car, unlocked the house and ran upstairs to his room. He took out a box out of his cupboard and opened it to see the angry bird cup…he wondered whether he should take it with him after what he did but also..it was the only thing that his uncle got right.

 

That wasn’t the main reason; he felt attached to it somehow. He closed the box and ran downstairs to the car; entering it.

 

“What is it?”   Norma asked starting the car.

 

“Gift from Jumi; couldn’t leave it.”     Jihoon lied.

Norma laid her eyes on the road and headed off somewhere unknown to all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kwon Jiyoung parked near the school and hastily stepped out with his phone, keys, wallet, pen and documents of his boss. He stepped into the school and walked to the principal’s office taking directions. He entered after knocking and took a seat.

 

“How may I help you Mr.?”

 

“Kwon Jiyoung. I’m an employee of Kim Jaejoong and here…”   he took out a paper and held out to the principal stating    “This is his written permission to receive Jihoon today.”

The principal took the paper and read it; he dialed and called the teacher in. when the teacher entered Jiyoung flashed a killer smile at her which always worked beside on Lee Yuri.

She blushed ten shades of red.

 

“Is…is there anything you need principal?”

 

“Could you call in Jihoon while I call Miss Jin?”    principal asked sincerely.

Jiyoung flashed another smile.

 

“Uh sir…Jihoon left during lunch time.”    She shared.

 

“What? When and with who?”    this time Jiyoung asked.

 

“Jin Norma herself took him away during lunchtime leaving a note saying its urgent.”

Jiyoun was really nervous now; he quickly left the office and called his boss.

 

“Boss your nephew isn’t here! Jin Norma took him before recess!”

 

“WHAT?!! FIND HIM ANYHOW! I WANT HIM AND ‘THAT GOOD FOR NOTHING WOMAN’ FOUND YOU GOT THAT!”

Jaejoong hung up…Jiyoung was shaking with the sudden outburst. He rushed out of the building with screwed mind hoping to find out a way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Where will we stay for the night ma?”   Jihoon asked.

 

“In a hotel till we find a place.”   She was driving slowly to find a hotel.

 

“It would have been better if they didn’t know about the orphanage. Otherwise we could have stayed there.”

Norma agreed but couldn’t go there anyway…

They stopped near a hotel and took their things inside to stay until they found a good place.

---------------------------------------------------------------