chapter 17

Circle of trust

 

Junsu, for the first time had seen where she lived. It was a very small place but considerable enough. He merely dropped her off from the cab and stayed there until she went inside the building. On the windows of the building, he noticed one window on the 2nd floor, curtain removed aside showing a little boy inside working on the PC. Somehow he seemed extremely cute looking so smart and genius like.

 

Then he saw a woman sitting beside him…which was unanticipated.

 

He’s the same age my nephew…    

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 Upon opening the door, the next morning, Norma was greeted by the old man with the tag principal on his table in front. She responded and took her seat along with the principal.  His hands; intertwining themselves, he cleared his throat trying to sort out his words in a polite manner.

 

“Is there something wrong Principal? You called me during school vacation.”       Norma guessed causing the principal to chuckle a little nervously. She could clearly see him uneasy at the moment.

 

“Well it is important as you can see…”     his lips he continued.    “Other parents have been saying things…about our Jihoon.”

 

“Things like what principal?”     She tried to figure out what the problem was; he was clearly not himself.

 

“You know that this school has a high reputation and uh…a school with high reputation has its disadvantages such as finances.”

 

“Yes I know that; I have been paying diligently as you know.”     She answered in a very obvious tone getting quite offended.    “So what is the issue here?”

The principal sighed giving up. It was time not to bend the line to get the grease out.

 

“We know about your job condition Miss Jin; we know that you lost your job few months ago and working at another place with not so much salary. We fear that you may not be able to pay his further fees anymore when he starts in grade 3.”

Norma’s eyebrow twitched; even if that was the matter he wouldn’t call someone personally like that. There were others with poorer financial condition here.

 

“Principal I am finding this very amusing. Just because I work with a lower salary you are suddenly getting worried; why? There are others worse than me; what makes my case so special?”

The principal straightened up hearing those coming from Norma. He was trying to make this as normal as possible but she wasn’t letting him.

 

“Well principal?”     She was waiting.

He cleared his throat again and took a sip from his glass of water. Keeping away the glass he fixed his glasses; intertwining his hands again.

 

“Jihoon is a special case; he is a Kim as we all know and…we simply can’t call him in urging him to pay his fees. Now that would be bad for this school at a very high level and I know this may seem personal but…I know what has been happening.”

Norma froze right there.

 

“You do?”

 

“Of course, I could see the wrath between you two. This is clearly about custody isn’t it?”

Norma was a bit lost there. Even if he did know, what was he expecting to get out of it?

 

“So…what are you actually implying here?”

Principals face softened thinking perhaps his part of the job was done.

 

“I want Jihoon to study here but I also would want the best for this school. So...I am suggesting that maybe it is best...that you hand the custody to Kim Jaejoong.”

 

Not him too...

 

Norma’s face drowned all the colours...she never thought things would go to this extent. She fixed her posture and looked at the principal smilingly.

 

“Thank you for your suggestions; I will keep that in mind but I assure you I have no problem with Jihoon’s uncle. In fact he appreciates my role in Jihoon’s life and what you saw was clearly an illusion and you concluded few from the gossips as well. If we had custodial issues we would handle it like gentlemen in court; he is very strict about these as you already know. As for my financial issue; I would be able to manage it.”      She stood up from her seat not wiping that smile off her face.      “I will leave then; thank you.”

 

She didn’t wait for his response and walked out of the door.

 

“Bloody bastard.”   Clenching her teeth she walked to her car.     “Creepy swine.”    She opened the door to her car when she caught sight of the devil himself leaning on his sleek silver car.

A smirk escaped his lips seeing her flustered face. Jaejoong straightened up and walked to her car sliding his hands in his pocket.

 

“You’re looking ugly as usual.”      He stated in a mocking manner; Norma didn’t bother responding to that.      “Again with the silence...it really annoys me. Well at least you use your brain to save the strength from talking; otherwise people like you just babble like idiot box.”

 

Norma merely glanced at him not really in the mood.

 

“Well this was just the start...more are coming along and this time.”     Walking a step closer to the car but keeping 3 feet distance from her.      “You will have nowhere to hide.”    He turned his back on her; walking to his car when he stopped.

 

 

“Oh yes one more thing.”      Norma looked at him.      “You look dead.”      He opened his car door; stepping inside he drove off leaving her in confusion.

That didn’t match with his previous statements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Norma had an evening shift today so she had plenty of time to shop and perhaps even look for another job.

Walking into the store; she was looked for duck however just after few minutes of walking she was already out of breath.

 

“I’m getting old already...”     she muttered while taking a huge packet of chopped duck drumsticks. This was the same store where she had met Nayobi for the first time. Of course Norma wanted to see her again.

She didn’t realize where she was walking and pushing the trolley was becoming a tiring thing for her; her hands lost balance as her trolley hit another one.

 

“Oh! I’m so sorry mada...”     her sight then fell on the person whose trolley she tackled mistakenly.

 

“N...Nayoung!”

 

“Madam Naomi....”       she tried to keep her cool but her heart skipped few beats. She heaved in heavily to fix herself.

 

“Y...you ok?”

 

“Yes!”    She looked around to notice the stares of her sudden panic.    “I mean...yes. I’m so sorry; I wasn’t seeing things.”     She calmed herself and pulled back the trolley.

 

“It’s ok...”     Naomi gaped at her.    “Well you here for shopping?”     Naomi felt stupid for asking such an obvious question.

 

“Well uh...yes I am. Then I have my shift at the cafe.”     She meekly smiled as she nodded.

 

“Ah... I see...well we still have time then. Why don’t we get to know each other?”

Norma was actually stunned; she never expected this from the woman who was clearly sure that Nayoung was actually her daughter.

Putting a smile on her face.      “I would love to...”

 

Taking their trolleys they walked along together around the non-vegetarian section.

 

“Well I never got to ask you; who else do you have in your circle since you said you had no parents?”     Naomi carefully settled her words not to make it suspicious. Of course according to Naomi, Nayoung should have doubted her for their similar face. Perhaps Nayoung was faking it all...just perhaps.

 

“I was brought up in an orphanage along with few others by granny...”     her face faded right then. She missed her friends so much. She desperately wanted to see them.

 

“And...”     Naomi urged Norma to go on.

 

“And one of my friends got married but she died two years later after giving birth to a son; she gave his custody to me.”

 

“So you are his mother now.”

 

“I am...”     an unintentional smile escaped her lips.

 

“Must be tough raising another’s kid.”

 

“It was tough but...it was lovely few times. Especially when he slept...”

 

“Oh yes that’s the most peaceful time. They don’t bother you at all...”    Naomi ended up laughing at her own joke; Norma couldn’t help herself as she laughed along with her. Her mother was funny in a sense; she just found out now.

 

“That’s so true but...”        her laughs faded leaving only a smile.      “He always was my strong point. I get to experience motherhood without the physical pain.”

 

“But the pain makes the love worthwhile.”    Naomi’s face was filled with a certain glow; Norma gaped at her and was finding it hard to believe that this woman just abandoned her.

 

“Yes it does.”    Norma averted her eyes from her mother’s face.

 

“You still didn’t answer my last question.”     Naomi looked at Norma this time.

 

Glancing at Naomi, Norma asked.      “Question?”

 

“Yes, what would you say if you...meet the woman who gave birth to you?”

Norma looked elsewhere; she still didn’t know what she would say to the woman in front of her.

 

“I would say...no matter what she did to me...she still gave birth to me and...that’s enough.”

 

“That’s enough?”

 

“Yes...”

 

“Why?”

 

“Maybe...it just should be. I believe in god so I believe that god wanted this to happen but he wouldn’t be so unfair to me.”     

 

“Not always...things are at one’s own hands often; you shouldn’t hopelessly believe in something unseen.”         Naomi’s voice appeared to me glum but serious. She seriously hated the theory of a higher being.

 

“Well if my parents were here, maybe they would have taught me what they thought. Since they weren’t... I believe what makes me satisfied.”

Naomi glanced at the younger version of herself; she was once like her but...she looked away changing the subject.

 

“How old is your child?”

 

“He’s seven now and in grade 3.”

 

“Already? Kids at 9 are in grade 3.”

 

“He’s like his mother.”     And Norma meant herself if she was bragging.

They both giggled at each other until Naomi realized that it was excessive. She quickly handed her stuff to the counter while Norma handed hers to the opposite counter.

 

“Well it’s nice that your son has accepted him. He wants his mother to be happy.”     Naomi was quickly handed her bag while Norma was still waiting.

 

“He has been considerate...”       she lightly smiled at her statement.

 

“But you and Junsu do look compatible together.”     That caused Norma’s heartbeat to skip again; she couldn’t look at her mother.      “It seems that you both understand each other.”

 

“T...thank you...”     her cheeks flushed with shades of pink but unnoticeable by her mother.

 

“Well I’ll get going. It was a pleasure talking to you.”

 

“Same here.”    Norma took her bag as Naomi headed out the store while Norma stood there near the counter.

A sudden beam escaped her lips as the counter girl noticed.

 

“Are you alright Miss?”

 

“Huh? Yes, yes I’m fine.”

 

“Phew, I was afraid you would faint right here...”

 

“Yeah...”    she dizzily stated.    “Maybe I will...”

 

“What?!”

 

“Nothing...”    Norma flung the bag on her shoulder; walking out of the store leaving the girl in a panicked state.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

She was about to head home first since work starts much later however in midway her cell beeped. She stopped her car aside and picked it up.

 

“Hello?”

 

Norma?”

 

“Boss?”

 

“Are you available this moment?”

 

“Uh yes boss. Do you need anything for me to do?”

 

“We need to meet now. Could you come over?”

 

“Of course boss. Where?”

 

“At Ritz Carlton...state your name as Norma only and state my name as Joon.”

Norma was astounded at the mere name of the hotel. In fact she tried for a position there but was unable to get it due to her lack of experience back then.

 

“Yes boss.”

 

“I will see you then.”

Hanging up; Norma started her car again driving off to the hotel while thinking what the matter could be. She knew that Joon doesn’t have this much money to spend at Ritz or else he would have started a bigger restaurant.

Something was fishy to her. She quickly messaged Jihoon that she might be late again.

 

Arriving at the 18 storey lighted building; she stepped out of the car. Looking up at the building she looked down at her clothes which was nothing compared to the luxury of the hotel. A woman wearing a white shirt with three buttoned blazer and straight formal pants; may not be welcomed here.

But boss had called her; it must have been something important.

 

She walked to the gate only to be stopped by the guard.

 

“State your name please.”

 

“Norma. I’m here to see Joon.”

 

“Sorry madam.”    The guard stepped away giving her space to enter. She walked in observing all the people; especially women who were wearing cocktail dresses of various colour while she was wearing powdered black. Their footwear was mainly heels while hers were boots.

She never felt so puny in her entire life. Maybe it was good she never got her job here; it was enough to see people from the previous hotel she used to work in.

 

She didn’t know where to go now so she walked to the receptionist who only eyed her once she stood there.

 

“How may I help you?”     her tone was...laid-back as if Norma had made a mistake coming here.

 

“I’m looking for Joon. My name is Norma.”     Instead Norma answered without any expression.

The receptionist eyes shot up a bit.

 

“Please follow me.”    She scurried out of her place and led her into the restaurant section right walking around the gold decorated pillar.

 

She walked ahead to see Joon sitting with a woman wearing a gorgeous red dress. The receptionist pointed her to their seat and scurried off. Norma walked to them greeting her boss and the unknown lady.

 

“Take a seat Norma.”    Joon suggested and she obeyed.

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Do you wanna have anything?”    he asked in a cool manner.

 

“No thank you; I just had lunch.”     She lied not really wanting to raise his bill.

 

“Well I’m hungry. What do you wanna have sweetheart?”    Joon asked the lady next to him.

 

“I’ll have a crab.”

 

“Nice.”    Joon rubbed his hands together.     “I’ll order then. Are you sure you wanna have nothing?”    he asked Norma again and again she refused.      “Well your loss...waiter!”

 

A waiter rushed to Joon and quickly wrote down his order and ran off. Norma waited until the lady and Joon would stop chatting so she could ask what the matter was.

 

“Well why don’t you say anything Norma?”    the lady asked in a polite manner.

 

“I uh... I am actually lost.”    She tried not to sound stupid.

 

“Well we could discuss during we eat. But you must try something from here; this is my first time here so we both would feel bad if we cant treat you properly.”

Norma was very confused now cause a woman like her being here for the first time seemed off and even if this is their first time; why would she be invited?

 

The wine arrived first and Joon popped the head open earning exciting laughs from the lady. Joon poured both of them wine in their glasses and while the two tasted the wine with grace; she pretended to take a sip. She hated the sour fruity taste of it.

 

“Well it seems that Norma is very confused now. How about we get to the main point before eating?”

 

“Alright sweetheart.”    The lady agreed while Norma nodded.

 

“Well I’m just disappointed at Norma.”    Joon stated teasingly at the lady while Norma’s face became flustered.

 

“What?!”

Joon and the lady ended up laughing at her flustered face.

 

“Look at her all panicking. Its really fun to .”    Joon couldn’t stop laughing but this wasn’t at all funny to Norma. She didn’t have any clue why he was so suddenly friendly towards his employee.

 

“Stop teasing her darling.”    The lady shocked Norma even more. Why was she here?

 

“But I am disappointed Honey. She didn’t bother telling me that her Foster son is actually Kim Jaejoong’s blood nephew; son of his late younger brother Kim Hyunjoong. How could she not tell me? I would have raised her salary.”

Norma goggled at him dumbfounded and her first suspicion was Mrs. Lee. But why would she tell now?

 

“How...how do you know?”

 

Joon’s face; changing into business like scared Norma at slight level.       “Kim Jaejoong’s employee Jiyoung told me and...”    Joon’s tone suddenly downed to being serious.     “This is the main issue.”

 

“My son is the main issue? It’s personal in fact boss.”    Norma stated deeply.

 

“That’s not the problem. The problem is you in fact Norma.”

 

“Changsun not so harshly.”     The lady tried to cheer up the mood giggling nervously.

 

“I have to say this Sandra.”     Joon looked at Norma.     “I am asking you to save my cafe by working with me but...”

 

“I have to give up my son.”     Norma finished for him muttering.

 

“You must understand; Kim Jaejoong wouldn’t send his top employee to talk me out of it unless it was really that serious. I don’t know the entire story but... I cant get my cafe into danger; I barely started. Either you give up on him or else...”

 

“Quit?”     she finished again.

Changsun remained silent.

Norma averted her sight elsewhere; the waiter came by and served the crab for them.

 

“Norma please understand; I hired you through my sister in law and I don’t wanna lose such a talented chef but you must understand. If you don’t have the sufficient resources how will you even take care of your adopted son?”

Norma’s eye twitched again. She hated the words foster and adopted. She stood up slowly gaining both of their attention.

 

“You could have just asked Boss; you didn’t need to bring me all the way here just to tell me this.”     Norma smiled; tired of these.

 

“So you decided to...”

 

“Quit boss. I decided to quit. Forgive me...”      she curtly bowed to both of them and slowly walked away. Changsun glanced at the lady who was tensed herself. She knew Changsun wanted to keep Norma for his cafe’s success and that even if she gives up on the custody there would be benefits received from the Kim Jaejoong if he can make Norma request the kid turning Jihoon to his uncle.

The plan was perfect but...she burst his bubble leading the lady to a deprivation of lesser amount of luxury.

 

“I didn’t think she would quit job over the kid.”     The lady mumbled.

 

“How can she? He is her jackpot to further success than just some mere position. I bet she is after the entire Kim corp; she wants to get it through the kid. I know that Kim Jaejoong has a weakness for the kid and the kid has a weakness for Norma. Whatever she says he obeys and whatever the kid says the merciless man melts. She is cunning...”      Joon muttered.

 

“I don’t agree with you entirely... I think its just...motherhood.”

 

“Yeah right...”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Norma could cry any second but she was so tired that she couldn’t...it was obvious that it wasn’t Mrs. Lee who had told Joon but she wasn’t sure whether she even knew about this. Probably Joon didn’t bother letting Mrs. Lee know that he knew.

 

Jihoon gaped at his mother suddenly coming back so early; without any words Norma sat on the floor not opening her shoes. Jihoon neared his mother and opened the shoes for her while Norma only looked at him. She knew he had realized.

 

Jihoon opened her socks and set her feet into more comfortable position.

 

“Your legs are swollen ma...you better take good care of yourself.”

Norma weakly smiled at him; ruffling his hair lightly. She cannot give up yet, Jihoon isn’t so why should she?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Lee Changsun aka Joon or Boss. He's Mrs. Lee brother-in-law and Norma's boss. An ambitious man who knows people not to mess with. A nice man in general but he cares about himself too so he is not entirely at fault.