chapter 18

Circle of trust

 

Job hunting had started again and this time although she saw many vacancies she was able to get none of them because they didn’t trust abilities as an experienced chef and secondly…she was too young. As for Changsun; well Mrs. Lee was very disappointed hearing what he did she did not talk to him personally knowing the best possible argument on his side but she was embarrassed for not being able to provide her a stable job.

 

“That’s fine Mrs. Lee…although I remember not telling you about this.”     Mrs. Lee remembered their conversation soon after the incident.

 

“Changsun called me himself telling me because he was quite mad that I didn’t tell you about Jihoon. I just didn’t figure out that Kim Jaejoong would go this far…”

 

“He had gone far enough to send his friend to attack me. I couldn’t believe that a celebrity would fall this low.”

 

“Norma…go out of town, somewhere around the village. Jihoon hadn’t started his grade three yet. You can get him in a new school and work there.”

Norma merely looked at her.

 

“I can’t…Jihoon likes it here and…this is one of the best schools I can provide him with. I have to give him the best…”

 

“But he wont let you as long as you linger in Seoul.”

 

“And I would appreciate if you didn’t help me any longer.”    Norma suddenly said that.

 

“What? Norma why are you saying that?”

 

“You saw how he threatened Boss. He might do the same with your business.”

 

She had a point…Kim Jaejoong would be able to do that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So she quit…”    Jaejoong mumbled on the phone. Hearing that news from Jiyoung really surprised him. She was supposed to quit him. He had a lot of thoughts in his mind.

 

What is she thinking? Why would she still keep him? What is she aiming at? The company? Does she want the company keeping Jihoon with her? She might be aware that whatever Jihoon says I do…so as Changsun commented…he is her goal to jackpot. So that’s how it is…my my Norma; you’re more clever than I thought.

 

Hmm so that’s how it is…”    hearing on the other line he continued.    “No, not yet Jiyoung. I will tell you what to do.”    He hung up not saying anything further.

 

You wanna play with fire Norma? Be my guest…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was already his time off and Junsu has not seen Norma at his workplace for two days. She would normally visit him in between…

 

Maybe she is sick…I should check on her. I have this bad feeling.

 

He organized his table and bid his collegues bye and headed to the café to meet Norma. Upon arriving the place he saw all the employees leaving. He approached one of them and asked.

 

“And who might you be?”    the lady in turn asked.

 

“I’m her friend; inspector Kim Junsu.”   He bowed to the older one.

 

“Oh you’re him? Sorry for my harsh behavior.”

 

“Ah that’s alright.”   She cheekily smiled rubbing his neck.

 

“But dear Norma has left about two days ago.”

 

“Left? But why? Where?”

 

“Don’t know dear. Boss wouldn’t answer us. Sorry dear. I have to go.”   She bowed and left leaving Junsu to think.

 

How come she leaves work all the time? Should I call her? Nah…it’s too late. I’ll call her in the morning.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning she was still hunting for jobs from which none would take her for the same reasons…somehow Kim Jaejoong was able to reach all of them even the smallest ones. Now she didn’t care if she got a dishwashing job.

 

She had to return the car…in fact she returned them as soon she was aware that she wont be able to pay the charge. Of course the advance was returned to her. She didn’t have the luxury to ride a bus all the time save few emergencies because all the expenses would have to be made on food, rent, bills and…school which she wont be able to pay.

 

I wont give up…I’ll keep hunting till I get one and I wont abandon the boy. I would give that bastard the message.

 

However walking was tiring…too tiring in this heat. Dehydration, dizziness, burnt and dry throat and the sweat. These were killing her.

She couldn’t tell anyone…not even the police…not even to her friends and not even to Junsu.

 

Why am I thinking about him?

 

She shook her head. Maybe because he recently has been a friend of her; he was kind enough to introduce her to her mother whereas he had no obligation to. But her head was spinning and her vision was blurring…she was starving. Even though she had told Jihoon that she would never be stupid to starve herself because in order to take care of Jihoon; she would have to take care of herself. However…everytime she think of filling that stomach…her mind takes another approach thinking that this portion on money could feed Jihoon his favourite burger; pay quarter of the bill so Jihoon could use the computer; could buy him a new gift; could pay some part of his school fees…

So many thoughts…preventing her to eat even though she aware that this was plain stupid. Her mind formed the guilt and responsibility of providing Jihoon the absolute.

 

I rather starve myself…despite what I said.

 

Her cell rang pulling her down to earth as she received it. Hearing the voice almost shook her because it belonged to Kwon Jiyoung. He had called her at Samwongarden; this was an emergency. She ran to the bus station and quickly hopped on a bus because the restaurant was far at distance; she would faint if she walks there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“You got her wrong this time Yoochun. She is not the family type. She aims for money but the biggest price.”     Jaejoong gulped down the tequila in one go while Yoochun was circling his finger on the glass tip.

 

“No my dear…I haven’t guesses the wrong; it’s the situation that explains the wrong thing. There are many possibilities of her current conduct and expected conduct.”

 

“How so? Enlighten me please.”

 

“The most expected conduct was to give Jihoon back in exchange of money; second giving Jihoon back with an only condition to meet him and his connection with you  or using your connection to gain opportunities or simply giving him up and contacting no further because she doesn’t like the responsibility any longer. But she chose something that has a narrow interpretation of self gain and that is…”

 

“Not giving him up at all and fall down to streets?”

 

“Yes…if she wanted the company using Jihoon; she would have sent Jihoon to you a long time ago and keeping contact to use him to gain her goals for which you would have done it gladly.”

 

“I don’t get the thing is why so? She has nothing…”    Jaejoong was frustrated hearing Yoochun’s theory which made no sense to him.

 

“Maybe…she likes being a mother.”

 

“Yeah right.”   Jaejoong tched at that. although the reasoning was existent but not applicable to Norma. She didn’t look like the mother material; she had no motherly smile on her face; no motherly attitude hell he never once saw her smiling at Jihoon.     “She’s a block.”

 

“Speaking of which…she’s here.”

Jaejoong turned around to see the woman walking in and it was easy to spot her because of her obvious appearance. Same old dark coat with boots and plain neatly tied hair. Of course everyone was leaving her a look…she was not dressed for this place. Yoochun called an employee and handed him a note.

 

“Take the most ordinary lady to the best seat. We’ll be joining her soon.”

 

“Yes sir.”    The man bowed and walked to the woman. They both noticed her reaction of surprise and doubtful. Jaejoong looked at Yoochun.

 

“Best seat? What’s with you?”

 

“I want to be comfortable.”   Yoochun buttoned his coat.

 

“And what am I going to say?”

 

“You know what you’ll say.”

 

“But I was your idea I called her here; I don’t even know what for.”

Yoochun sighed; this man had a long way to go. Standing up; he explained.

 

“Didn’t you say you had two trump cards?”

 

“Yes…”

 

“Well give her an option…cause she can’t go any low than this. She is not the type to sell herself to earn money; too egoistic for that.”

 

“What for?”

 

“My Hero…if you are too direct about everything; you won’t get any entertainment in life.”

 

“So we called her here just for you entertainment? How stupid am I getting into this?”

 

“Hyung…admit it; you are also entertained.”   Jaejoong alongside stood up and walked ahead; fixing his coat.

 

Entering the VIP section they noticed her pacing front and back instead of sitting comfortably…amusing Yoochun.

 

“You’re one amazing woman you know that?”    His sudden tone shocked her. She looked at both of them not expecting at all.

 

Kwon Jiyoung was supposed to be here…     

She didn’t bother saying that though; she merely frowned lightly. She was tired of their games.

 

“Well even after your last assault, I’m still good as new. See?”    He spread his arms wide presenting himself however got no response in return. Looking at Jaejoong he stated.    “Sometimes I really think I’m talking to a mute here.”

 

“What is it that you need?”    She finally spoke putting an end to nonsense.

 

“Straight to business? Very amusing from the likes of you.”    Jaejoong retorted looking at Yoochun.

 

“I like it. It is as usual ‘give Jihoon back’ and all. But with warnings in advance.”     Yoochun took a step forward as his expression got darker.    “And I won’t always be in a good mood to tolerate you actions.”   

Norma immediately took a step back seeing his proximity causing Yoochun to chuckle.

 

“You lost all scopes of getting a job; there is only one way to resolve this: give Jihoon to me and you will never see him again; of course all that you lost will be returned including your job and house. Even if Jihoon wants to see you, he won’t.”

 

“You know my answer.”    She said looking at him.

 

“Or…you could do something else to earn and I’m sure you’ll be successful.”   Walking to Norma Yoochun whispered.    “A e…”

 

“Why you?!”    Norma was about to raise her hands on him when she stopped. She realized her situation now; Yoochun had the power to do anything and he might forcefully do so.

But Yoochun was more amused than ever; he liked that sort of reaction from her. She is refusing everything given to her, money, fame and good looking men.

 

“We won’t hesitate, Norma dear. Just be careful.”    Yoochun stepped back giving her space.    “Good day. Hyung we should go.”    Jaejoong heard Yoochun’s satisfactory voice and he looked at Norma one last time.

 

“I won’t hold back. Not at all. You better be careful with your actions.”

Turning around they exited the VIP side leaving Norma who was having hard time breathing. There was no one around to be exact; not even waiters, they could have done anything to her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“She won’t earn much in a brothel with that kind of attitude.”    Jaejoong stated in the car.

 

“Hyung not gonna agree or disagree cause either will be humiliating but I do not plan on letting her go to a brothel by force.”

 

“And why not? Why not even by force? Did your morals hit you?”

 

“Nope…”    looking at Jaejoong with a dangerous face.     “Cause I want to have her.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jihoon was putting instant noodles on the table. His mother would always come back looking tired and in a bad shape. He knew something bad was happening but his mother wouldn’t tell him. He was thinking of asking Kim Jaejoong but…he doesn’t want to go to him.

 

The door unlocked as he heard his mother coming in. She would come very late every night; yet she would always spend time with him.

 

Maa…tell me…

He saw his mother smile at him which is very rare and sat with him; they started eating silently.

 

I don’t want to leave you no matter what.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ga-in was getting impatient…there was no news of her…she was sitting with Joongki. She felt like crying…she had no idea where her friend was.

 

“What am I going to do Joongki? I can’t find her…”

 

“You will…I will help you.”    He patted on her head warmly and pecked on her lips earning her smile.

 

“I wish I could just barge in Kim’s house and smash his face.”    She muttered earning his chuckle.

 

“You’re so violent…I like it.”    

 

“I think Park Yoochun has something to do with it as well…”

 

“Why do you say so?”

 

“’They are diaper buddies; he’s bound to know something plus you noticed how he tries to flirt with me. He thinks I don’t know what he is aiming at…revenge for kicking him out from the commercial. Bastard…he knows I’m engaged to you yet…”

 

“Hmm…but I know you are far too clever for such cheesy things so whatever he is doing; ignore. After all you have a responsibility and a huge one.”

 

“So do you; you’re a lecturer; practitioner and you participate in businesses conventions as well. You basically do everything.”

 

“I know my egg-face.”    He instead got slapped on his stomach for being called that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Another job hunt…however she knew they would do something. She had this bad feeling today. Something was about to happen.

 

Her cell rang; receiving it she was quite surprised. It was the principal…wanting to see her. She hung up and headed to Jihoon’s school.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Junsu was looking at some documents at home while his dad was watering some flower pots. He seemed quiet…Junsu didn’t ask though. He was thinking about Norma...it hasn’t been very long yet they were quite close. It must be because her similarities with his mother…he knew that; yet something seemed more about it.

 

Heart doesn’t feel anything you moron. Brain thinks, it makes you feel.

On the other hand his father was thinking about Jaejoong’s outburst which was history…he wondered what always made him feel this way until he talked to his mother.

 

“He never wanted the company…his father never did, neither did he and…after his death…he had no elder to support him through this pressure. He was supporting me that time so he is sometimes…upset because of your absence brother-in-law. Don’t take it to heart; he’s still a kid. If somehow my grandson comes home…my son will be free from this pressure.”

 

Yeah…free but his brother’s grandson would not be. This company was killing them all.

He was pulled out from his thoughts because of the ringtone of Junsu’s cell; he shook his head and continued working. Junsu was always so busy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Excuse me?”     Norma stood up surprised to hear that from the principal.

 

“I am sorry, it is not a common thing to do but…”

 

“Did Kim Jaejoong put you up to this?”    she just remembered his warning from yesterday.

 

“What? That’s preposterous! He is a gentleman; he can settle this in court. In fact this is my view for the wellbeing of this school.”     He didn’t seem like lying about this. He was telling the truth; Kim Jaejoong didn’t threaten him but somehow influenced him in a softer way.

 

“I can pay the fees just let me admit him.”

 

“I am sorry…”

 

“I can work here to compensate.”

 

“I can’t allow that. It would against the policies of the school. I am simply sorry Norma…”    taking a sigh    “Just give him up.”  

 

“That is clearly personal now principal sir. I will take my leave.”     She bowed and left the room.

 

I have to tolerate this. As long as I am alive I won’t let him go…

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------