chapter 20

Circle of trust

 

Putting Jihoon on his mattress; she went to the washroom to clean up. After coming out, she saw Jihoon’s eyes open.

 

“Jihoon? I thought you were asleep…”   she sat beside him.

 

“I wasn’t asleep at all…”     he mumbled sleepily.    “That man is nice…when did you meet him?”

 

“Even before this condition…it was kind of coincidence you can call it. Kept bumping into him.”

 

“He was the one who saved you that night?”

She nodded. Jihoon suddenly recalled a conversation with his uncle when he went out with him.

 

“Why didn’t your mother marry or date anyone? She is allowed to. Do you think it’s because of you? I’m not saying it is bad, but think about it. Could it be that fact?”  

 

Maybe…she never went out with anyone because of him. However he kept that thought in his mind because if he speaks his mind, his ma will definitely smack him for thinking so stupidly. But it could be the fact that despite getting such good man with the looks…she still had friend zoned him.

 

Maybe they are really friends…I think too much watching stupid dramas.

 

“So we are not leaving town until you try for this job…”

 

“Yep…I still have to try to get you in school here because schools here are the best.”

Jihoon closed his eyes with a hum. He really was sleepy

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Naomi dear what’s the matter?”   the man patted on her shoulder seeing her pale face.    “Are you sick?”

She snapped out of her thoughts and looked at her husband. She knew she couldn’t tell him, or else he would urge to bring her over…Norma Jin…her daughter. She knew the name…she had named her herself.

 

Why can’t she leave me alone? Why can’t my past let me in peace?

 

“Nothing’s wrong. Why do you say that?”   she mumbled.

 

“Your face is pale and I’m your life partner…I can tell.”

She looked at him again. She always wondered why he never addressed himself as husband; he always considered it as life partner. She never asked him though…maybe she could ask him now.

 

“Tell me…how come you never introduce yourself as…husband? Why do you say…you’re my life partner?”

He chuckled hearing that question.

 

“I don’t like the term…it makes it more like…master and servant rather than being one. We are one and half individually.”

She smiled hearing that…he was so…

 

“Cheesy…”

 

“What?! Hmph!”    Crossing his arms on his chest he looked away.    “I never thought you would give me an ouchie here.”     He pointed to his chest. She giggled looking at that.

 

“Heart doesn’t feel…it’s the brain.”

 

“Can you please be sensitive for once and go along with my cheesy lines? Jeez!”

She giggled again…then faded down. She was lucky…

 

“Are you still mad at me?”

He looked at her understanding what she meant. He sighed before answering.

 

“Yes in fact…I can never forgive you for that.”

She lightly smiled…she was indeed lucky. Yet she couldn’t be less angry…recalling the incident and the conversation she had with Kim Jaejoong.

 

“She told me everything…I now know that she considers herself to be so lucky.”    He took a sip of his coffee.    “I’m sure you must have been very surprised when she told you that she was your lost daughter; she was a bit angry though as to why you were careless at that time.”

She didn’t understand what he meant until she asked him what exactly Norma told him; because Norma never told Naomi that she knew about her.

 

“Oh…well she told me that she’d been looking for you that’s it. She never told me the conversation.”

 

“But…she never…told me…that she’s my daughter…”    saying that she saw his face becoming pale.

 

“What? She never told you?”   looking elsewhere.   “I am really sorry for this! I didn’t know that…I am so sorry…please forgive me and…please don’t say anything to her…she is a very good woman and…don’t blame her; blame me”   he nervously his lips.

 

“I won’t…just how do you know her? A man like you…its just…”

 

“Oh well…I’m sure she told you about the child she has…he’s my nephew.”

 

She needed to talk to her…she needed to confront her and she will…especially now that she knows that Norma knew everything from the beginning. The child was of no concern to her.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Junsu! Long time!”    Jaejoong who was in a very happy mood hugged his cousin tight.

 

“Wow hyung, you are in a very good mood today. What happened?”   Junsu stated pulling away from the hug.

 

“Let’s say, I now have fulfilled the impossible task.”    Jaejoong shrugged as he said.

 

“Ha ha ha…well actually I’m here to meet you particularly. You see I need to help someone.”    Junsu’s face showed seriousness.

 

“As usual, my nice and kind Junsu. Spill away; I will grant anything you want.”

 

“There is a friend of mine who needs a job as a chef.”

 

“Why can she not just try?”     Jaejoong said leaning on the desk.

 

“Well you see some people are hunting her down for personal reasons.”      Junsu stated softly.

 

“She isn’t a fugitive is she?”     worries were visible in Jaejoong’s voice.

 

“Oh no hyung. I would never help a fugitive. Let’s say her family is forcing her not to follow her dreams.”   Junsu was quite reluctant to start a story.

 

“Well I am not sure how experienced she is…for my hotel.”

 

“At least make an appointment. Take a test and see how good her food is…you consult with your main chef.”

Seeing his eagerness to help this woman he agreed. This made Junsu very happy to hug him tight his time.       “Thanks a lot bro, you saved my ! I’ll bring her over at your hotel tomorrow. You contact your employee by then.”

 

“Well if you’re ordering me what to do with my employees, why not take over this?”    Jaejoong actually hoped he would.

Junsu’s face was puzzled hearing the seriousness.

 

“Ah hyung don’t joke about this. You very well know this company doesn’t belong to me…and I just don’t want to. Don’t you have our little nephew in line already?”

 

“Yeah…I was just joking…”    he nervously laughed.   “Well, it will be a very long time till he takes over the company and free me; till then I’ll be too old to do anything what I want.”

 

“Then why not just hand it to the shareholders…they seemed experienced and trustworthy.”

His head snapped up hearing that…

 

“I don’t want old geezers to handle our family’s hard work…they would sure ruin it.”

 

“I get it…but you never know…they might be worthy of it.”    Junsu shrugged a bit.     “But it’s your wish. Thanks anyway.”

 

“Anything for you.”

 

“Well where is aunt?”    he looked around the house.    “I haven’t seen her anywhere.”

 

“She went to take a walk.”

 

“Alone?”

 

“No, didn’t uncle tell you? She went with him.”

 

“Oh…well, I’ll be seeing you later.”

 

“Busy?”

 

“As usual.”

He smiled and saw his brother leaving his office. He leaned on to his table when the telephone rang. He received it and went on with his usual business babbling.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“How have you been brother Jaesin?”    She asked him.

 

“I’ve been doing well. How are you doing?”

 

“As an old woman should…take care of animals, watering plants and all.”

 

“Why don’t you join he flower club? Your time will easily pass. You can meet so many nice people.”

 

“Like you met Jinhee? I wish…but seeing Jaejoong doing all the work I cant have fun.”

His face faded hearing that. He knew his mother did not know his entire source of frustration…and he wanted to amend it.

 

“I am really sorry to leave all of you…”

 

“Don’t be brother Jaesin; you did it for love…your love for Jinhee was very strong and she was a nice woman. Or else she would have stopped you from leaving all these luxury. She was not a gold digger.”

 

“Yet…Jaejoong never seemed to like her.”

 

“Don’t be insane. He liked her a lot!”    she was finding it impossible to believe.

 

“No…he is mad at me…because I left everything and now he has to deal with everything…its pressuring him a lot. I can see that too.”

She lowered her head…perhaps ashamed.

 

“I’m sorry brother…it must have been because of me.”   She mumbled out.

 

“No! It’s nothing like that…he just wants to be free from that wretched company our father left.”    He tried to convince her.

 

“Why not just give it up to the shareholders?”

 

“I wanted that too but…perhaps Jaejoong doesn’t want that…”

 

“Well I don’t know what he wants…he has been like that ever since Hyunjoong’s death…”     her face showed shades of sadness…

 

“His death was a shock to all of us…it’s like history is repeating itself…younger one dies before the older one. I should have died instead of him and Jinhee.”

 

“Brother, don’t think like that. Perhaps it was for the best. Junsu wouldn’t have been the boy if it weren’t for you. And Jaejoong…I don’t know...he’s so cold to all. I don’t think he has anyone besides His friend Yoochun and Junsu.”

Jaesin looked at his little sister-in-law hoping Jaejoong would soon leave this company and follow his dreams…but he was very stubborn.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

As soon as Junsu got home, he found it to be empty. He really did go out with his aunt for a walk. He slumped on the sofa and threw his shoes away…resting a bit; he put the thrown shoes on the rack and went to his room. After freshening out he turned the answering machine on and sat on the sofa again to rest.

One by one, messages played until one caught his attention.

 

“Junsu dear, it’s me Naomi…I was wondering…could you give me your girlfriend’s number? I meant Nayoung Lee…I heard she is a very good cook so I was wondering that I could talk to her about an upcoming event. It will be much appreciated.”

 

Junsu was stunned hearing that…it seemed like a good thing that she was willing to spend some time with her daughter…but that means he wont be able to take her to the appointment tomorrow.

 

I have let him know…

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“You’re mine…Norma Jin…”    he leaned in on her face to press his lips on her and he wanted to savour every moment of it. She was struggling as usual; trying to kick him, screaming, wriggling but none prevailed. He was stronger…it was his dream and he was in control of everything except her actions but he was in control of his strength.

 

A knock destroyed everything.

 

“Ugh! What the ! Who is it?!”     he yelled out; the door opened ajar and an old woman’s head inserted.

 

“Is this how you talk to your mother Yoochun?”    she entered completely.

 

“Mom! When did you get back?”   he sat on his bed covering his half- chest with a pillow.

 

“This morning…and it’s noon if you are assuming. Get dressed and get down; you’re going to have breakfast with me and Yoohwan.”

 

“He’s here too? When did He get back?”

 

“With me…we met at the airport. He’s here for his break till his last semester starts. Come now.”

 

“Yes mama…”    he whined and jumped off the bed. He was still pissed at his mother ruining it though but he also missed her and his brother.

 

Getting dresses and going downstairs he saw his younger brother already having breakfast with his mother. He pursed his lips before sitting down.

 

“Shouldn’t you have waited for your older brother?”

 

“Do you even act like one?”    younger one munched on his toast.

 

“How are studies going?”    he changed the subject.

 

“Fantastic…”    he didn’t seem excited.

 

“What’s with the tone? I assume you are not enthusiastic about it.” 

Sighing his brother replied.

 

“How can I be enthusiastic when people annoy me to get your contacts?”

Yoochun’s face frowned.

 

“There are fans in your university too?”

 

“You seriously have no idea or you’re acting plain modest? You have fans over the world, even in England.”

Yoochun knew he had fans over the world and he didn’t need his younger brother telling him that but he liked the attention.

 

“Boys, no talking at the table. I want to have a nice and quiet breakfast.”

 

“Well you can have that. I will be going out for work…”   Yoochun munched on the red grape.

 

“What? Your mother is here after so long, cant you take a break to spend time with me?”    she was very annoyed.

 

“No my mommy dear, gotta earn money for you guys. Even if you don’t lack it.”

 

“Do whatever you want…”   she sighed giving up.    “I’ll be going to the new club I joined.”

 

“What club?”     Yoowhan asked.

 

“The flower club…”

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“I was wondering whether you’re free tomorrow, if you are I would like you to come to my house. Please write the address.”

 

She suddenly received a message on her answering machine.

Naomi wanted to meet her for certain event. She was happy more than anything.

 

Of course she needed no address…it was so sudden that she had to tell Junsu everything and Jihoon had suggested staying at Jumi’s for one last time…

Junsu, once knowing it changed the plans.

 

“I know she called me to get your number, I will set the appointment the day after tomorrow. I have already let my brother know of this. You go have fun with Mrs. Han. Good luck and tell me everything afterwards!”

 

However now; she was walking towards the house she had once stalked…

Standing in front of the door; her hands shook before the doorbell. She didn’t know what she would say if she asks anything although she knew she was called here.

 

She presses it anyway and…it opened in an instant revealing the familiar face. She bowed instantly as the door widened; saying nothing she entered the house for the first time.

She looked around in awe; the pictures of Nayobi, Naomi and Mr. Han…they were a happy family. Naomi saw Norma looking at the photos with much interest therefore she cleared to get her attention.

Norma looking at her, Naomi realized how weak and pale she looked; yet mentally prepared herself.

 

“How is your son?”

 

“He’s well, thank you for asking.”    She smiled which Naomi made sure not to return.

 

“You know why I called you here.”   She acknowledged rather than asked. Norma nodded in response.     “I should be honest with you; I didn’t call you here for any work.”     She looked at Norma to see her reaction which was normal until she mentioned…    “I called you here because I know who you are…and that you know me too. I know you…Norma.”

Norma’s face faded from it’s colours…she gulped unable to say anything.

 

Maybe she is testing me…but she knows my real name…

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about…”

 

“Don’t lie to me. I know my own flesh and blood…I know my face when I see one.”

Hearing flesh and blood made her feel that perhaps she was just mad that Norma didn’t tell her anything.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

“You should be…did you really think that you could get into my life again to ruin it?”    Naomi spoke brazenly.

 

What?

 

“Excuse me?”    Norma mumbled out.

 

“Don’t play dumb Norma. I know very well that you want revenge from me; that’s why you’ve been around the people I know.”

 

“No! That’s entirely wrong! I only wanted…”

 

“I don’t care!”    Naomi finally busted out.    “You’re the same as him sneaking in like a rat to ruin me!”

 

“R..rat!”    that sounded familiar…    “I am…your daughter…”

 

“A mistake! An abomination! I should have aborted you if it wasn’t because of my life partner! He was good enough to accept you despite your birth from another man!”

 

“I’m home…”    Nayobi suddenly entered the house…Naomi was shocked herself…she must have used the key.    “Sister Nayoung! Surprised to see you.”    Looking at her mother she asked.    “You know her too?”

Naomi looked at Norma frowning.

 

“So you befriended her too to get near me.”   She muttered and it was true; she did but not for what she thinks.

Seeing the tension Nayobi asked.

 

“Mama what’s the matter?”

 

“No, my intention was nothing like that!”    Norma tried to defend herself.

 

“Mama?”   Nayobi asked again.

Looking at Nayobi, Naomi pointed at Norma.

 

“This is the result of that night! This is the daughter of that bastard who ruined me! She wants revenge from us that’s why she befriended you! To ruin our family!”

Nayobi looked at Norma who kept shaking her head.

 

“I only wanted to know why I was left…I wanted to be a part of this family Nayobi, nothing more…”

 

“You knew who I was?”    Nayobi mumbled gazing at her. She seemed hurt.

Norma nodded.

 

“Is your name even Nayoung?”    she asked again; Norma shook her head.

 

“It’s Norma Jin and it’s her who named me…”     looking at her mother she stated.    “If you hated me that much then you wouldn’t even have named me.”

 

“Don’t be a fool! I named you so I could keep away from you! So I would know! And when I saw you having a different name I thought you were someone else but…hearing everything I was convinced that you were the same girl I left but you abandoned the name somehow and not know anything. Maybe you started hating me; I thought. However you were just playing along with your schemes!”

 

“There is so scheme! And who told you about my name?! How did you even know?!”     Norma finally charged her mother.

 

“It’s your son’s uncle who told me.”   She muttered not interested in the topic.

 

Kim Jaejoong! He even got to her!

 

“Kim Jaejoong told you this? What did he tell you?”

 

“Does it even matter?”   Naomi asked annoyingly. Nayobi slumped on the sofa being shocked to all these.

 

“Yes it does! He’s been trying to hunt me down for my son! He had even…”

 

“I don’t care about that child of yours! Or foster son for that matter! The only matter is you keep away from us! Don’t ever show your face again! You disgust me!”

 

“At least tell me why you hate me! What did I do to you?! I deserve to know why I cant be a part of this family!”

 

“Because you are by born a dirty blood!”

 

“What did you do? How did you have me?! How this is my fault?! Whatever happened must be because of YOU!”   she shouted out stinging her mother to get the truth out. But all she got was a smack on her face. Nayobi’s eyes widened as she rushed to calm her mother down. Norma was stunned feeling the burning sting on her cheek.

 

“How dare you accuse me of such indecency?! My fault! Was it my fault that he attacked me?! Was it my fault that he forced himself on me?! Was it MY fault that HE was lurking around that night LOOKING FOR A PREY TO GET RID OF HIS LUST ON?! I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW HIM! YOU’RE A CHILD!”

Norma’s breath hitched.

 

She looked at her mother not minding the pain on her face…her mother was crying but Norma was calm. Nayobi sobbed along with her mother…she must have known all along.

 

“You were …”    Norma merely stated.

Naomi looked at Norma and saw how she looked at her…all she saw was pity.

 

“Don’t look at me like that…don’t you dare look at me like that…you remind me of him; his eyes…everything. I couldn’t bear looking at you…I couldn’t abort you because my life was at stake but I wanted to die more than anything! Brooke insisted that I give birth to you…that’s why I did! But I could tolerate you! I couldn’t tolerate your cries! You remind me of him!”

 

Norma lowered her eyes knowing it was useless to talk to her anymore. She would never accept her…no matter what she said. Her hatred for Norma was too much.

 

“How was it my fault?”    Norma could ask only that.

Naomi once again looked at her with hatred and frowned.

 

“Get out.”

She didn’t need to say it twice. Norma backed out and looked at Nayobi who was pleading with her eyes to listen…Nayobi was her sister…

 

“Take care…I’ll never bother you again.”

Norma quickly rushed out of the house out of humiliation and pain. Even with her past experience she was still not used to humiliation.

 

What was I thinking? What was I doing? Kim Jaejoong will hunt me down to death. He’ll never let me live…I cant get Junsu involved.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Junsu was trying her again and again. He only got a text stating that from now on not to contact her and to cancle the appointment; therefore he’s been calling on since. It was late night and it was inappropriate to go to her place but he couldn’t help himself.

 

What happened at her mother’s place? Why doesn’t she tell me anything?

 

Norma was quiet and packing all. Jihoon just helped her not speaking anything. He had an idea something was wrong; then he noticed something.

He held out and touched Norma’s cheek.

 

“It’s red ma.”

Norma ignored it with a light smile.

 

“So we are really leaving…”

 

“I’m sorry…but he wouldn’t leave us alone.”    She quickly answered not caring about it.

 

“Could we at least meet all before going?”

Norma looked at Jihoon…his face for the first time showed sadness. He was really suffering inside. She felt so guilty putting him through this.

 

Jessica…why did you tell me not to give him to the Kims? He could have kept in contact with his friends…maybe he could see them one last time.

 

“Alright.”   She smiled.   “Now let’s sleep.”

 

They turned the lights off and went to their bed. Of course being a place so small, their beds had to be separated giving Jihoon a closet size space after placing the furniture…

That did not matter to them much though.

 

child…I’m a child…I cant help but hate myself too.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________