Chapter 5

Circle of trust

 

Norma ate lunch by herself as Jihoon was sleeping. She went up to his room again and lied down beside the boy. She was thinking whether she should tell the orphanage that they had been found rather her most tension was whether she should tell Jihoon about his uncle. Jihoon had the right to know also if she lets the orphanage know, they might help her, specially Ga-in.

 

Norma didn’t know when she fell asleep beside her boy. Her only thought was she didn’t want to lose him. That was all.

--------------------------------------------------

 

Norma didn’t know how long she was asleep, in fact when she woke up it, it was already 7 pm and Jihoon was reading beside her.

 

“Jihoon…”    Norma mumbled in slight surprise thinking when he woke up.

 

“You’re tired ma.”   He whispered not taking his eyes off the book.

 

“You haven’t had your lunch. I’m gonna make dinner.”    She sat up looking at Jihoon sleepily.

 

“Ok ma, I’ll help you too.”    Jihoon jumped off the bed and headed downstairs first.

 She looked around her son’s room containing a bed, a study table, a wardrobe, a toys corner and a PC for her little man. This generation was nothing without net; depriving him would be depriving himself from knowledge.

 

She went downstairs and saw Jihoon already cleaning up the table sitting on a chair on his knees. She uneasily watched him cleaning up the table. She didn’t know what reaction he would have if she told him about his uncle.

 

“Jihoon…I have to tell you something…”

 

“Yes ma…”   he responded unresponsively.

 

“Someone came today to meet you.”   She said while pouring her katong laska on the bowl. Jihoon stopped cleaning as he looked in space.

 

“…Me?”    he mumbled.

 

“Yes…his name in Kim Jaejoong and…he’s your…”

 

“Uncle, I know. After bathing I was coming downstairs when I saw him coming in…I heard him say that he was my family. I quietly went upstairs and pretended to fall asleep but I heard you two talking; he wanted me back.”    He dispassionately said.

 

“Do you want to Jihoon? Tell me honestly…”    she definitely asked

 

“I don’t know. Do you want me to?”    he asked off guarding her.

 

“Listen Jihoon, there is one thing I’ll tell you. I wont let you go just because he can provide you better and you wont let me go just to reduce my responsibility. We will only let each other go…when we’re tired of each other or we want each other to go away. So don’t…ever think of leaving me just because your uncle warned me of some ‘dire consequences’. I am not afraid of him and so shouldn’t you. You got that? Even if I don’t have enough money, I can still feed you and I wont be stupid enough to starve myself because, I want to take care of you.”    she asked firmly letting her intentions know then a smile formed on her face                “You will only leave me if you want to, not because what I have to face. After all, I am your mother.”

 

Jihoon nodded lightly.   

 

“Yes ma…”       he went back to his food and started eating it.

Norma thought maybe it wouldn’t be best letting the other know about Jaejoong’s sudden appearance. Since Jihoon has understood it, it maybe for the better.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jihoon was playing since it was lunch break in his school. Jumi was better now and was playing with him. Jihoon had forgotten all about last night’s conversation and was having a good time.

 

“Jihoon, thank you for your food parcel. I really liked it.”    Jumi cutely said as she was playing with her fingers.

 

“You’re welcome.”      He said lightly not looking at her.

 

“Jihoon somebody came for you.”   The teacher called

 

“Me?”   he asked. It couldn’t be Norma this time. She had her work.

 

“A man, saying he knows you.”

 

“Ok, I’ll be back Jumi.”    Jihoon stood up and ran beside the teacher and she led him the way.

He walked to the principal’s office and when he opened the door, his eyes widened.

 

“Jihoon. This is Mr. Kim and is here to meet you. Your mother said he’s your uncle and allowed him to meet you. Why don’t you talk to him for a minute?”    the principal asked

Jihoon only looked at the beautiful man in front of him.

 

“Jihoon?”   the principal called again.

 

Jihoon only nodded making sure firmly.

 

“Okay then don’t be late for class. Sorry Mr. Kim but you can only talk to him until class starts.”    The principal requested.

 

 “Of course. Come Jihoon, we will talk in the school garden.”   Jaejoong escorted the boy to the garden and sat on the bench while Jihoon remained standing. Jaejoong smelled in clean air and looked at Jihoon…he was so much like Hyungjoon but his nose was different. It belonged to his mother Jessica.

 

“So she told you about me…”    Jaejoong said and Jihoon remained like a statue.        “Why don’t you say anything?”   Jaejoong asked softly.

Jihoon stand quietly not moving.

 

“ Ask anything. I am your uncle.”   Jaejoong said casually.

 

“What am I supposed to say? I’m just a kid Mr. Kim.”     Jihoon said calmly causing Jaejoong’s smile to fade. He was just surprised to see his rich uncle. He should have asked to have anything and above that he was addressing his own uncle with honorific!

 

“Arent you happy to see me Jihoon?”    he spoke in a firm manner.

 

“I cant tell honestly, after all I haven’t known you till now…”    Jaejoong chuckled again hearing his cute nephew to say such words. In fact Jihoon was plain with his presence.

 

“I cant blame you for that....”    Jaejoong said in a soft manner this time.

 

“Yes..”

 

“Come, sit beside me.”    Jaejoong patted on the space next to him. Jihoon walked and sat beside him. Jaejoong put his arms on the boy patting his back fatherly.

 

“Why don’t we spend some time together? I’m sure your foster mother did allow it.”

Jihoon nodded, it was true. She did.

 

“So, where do you want to go? Would you like to go to a toy store? You can have anything you want and I’ll buy it for you. Or we could go to see your grandmother, she makes very sweet cookies. So what do you say?”   Jaejoong asked with a happy tone.

 

“I have to finish my class also, I promised Jumi to do homework with her…”   Jihoon was quite calm with his refusal; he wasn’t lying actually. He did have other plans with Jumi.

 

“Oh…well education is important and…good to see that you’re interested in it…so…I’ll leave you to your classes.”    Jaejoong stood up and was about to leave when Jihoon called him. Jaejoong expectantly turned around for any good decision.

 

“I heard your conversation yesterday from my room; please do not threaten my mother again with consequences. If you want me to go with you to get along with you, I will…but don’t hurt her.”      Jihoon for the first time spoke coldly to Jaejoong surprising him but Jaejoong smiled genuinely and ruffled his hair. He couldn’t even say to stop it. Jaejoong walked away leaving the boy in the garden as his teacher came to him. Jaejoong was relieved that he was befriending the boy who didn’t seem so easy…he was a touch boy and he had to make sure to take slowly with his nephew.

 

But when he would be successful, Norma would regret it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong’s mind was drifted into thoughts… he was so ashamed when he couldn’t bring him home to his mother. His mother had cried when she heard Jihoon’s mother refused to give him up even for money. She had suggested going to Norma and begging her but Jaejoong didn’t let her do that. He couldn’t let his mother do that.

 

“Mother, I promise you I will bring him. Please trust this son of yours. I will bring him.”      That was what he said to assure his mother but he didn’t tell her that he had other methods to bring him back and he couldn’t let his mother know of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jihoon wasnt angry that much but he was surely pissed. He had no idea why his mother would do that. His life with Norma had been quite useful. He didn’t remember much till he was 4; she had provided him the best within her reach yet he had been quite calculated about it. He preferred if he didn’t spend too much for him.

 

That was just the raising part. The most surprising part was their attitudes towards each other.

 

 He was always plain to his foster mother since he knew she wasn’t his real mother from the beginning. His mother was the same. Also she never was the smothering type or the teasing like. Or else his real mother would have about Jumi but she didn’t. Their mother and son relationship was like…Asakawa and Yuichi according to him and he didn’t mind it. In fact he liked such space from her. Norma on the other hand knew and sometimes said this behavior was similar to Jessica’s.

 

Now the truth part-Norma told him everything about his father when he was 5 except, the bad things about his father and Jihoon didn’t know why she would left out those things. It wasn’t until Aunt Ga-in who told him about Hyungjoon’s real manner. And Norma still doesn’t know that Jihoon has known about it and Jihoon intends to keep it like that.

As for Jihoon who had observed his Ma has seen that Norma never smiles when speaking to anyone, except him, Granna, or her other friends however that is also rare. Jihoon often likes to refer her as the Sadako lady though he never mentioned it out loud.

 

‘I didn’t get to watch the Ring birthday…’    Jihoon thought as he sighed

 

“Jihoon, whats the matter?”   Jumi cutely asked bringing Jihoon out of his thoughts.

 

“Nothing, thinking ...”   Jihoon casually answered.

 

“You’re such a good person, always thinking like an intelligent child. My mama said she would have like you to have as her son, but I disagree.”

 

“Huh? Why so?”    Jihoon asked being clueless.

 

“You wouldn’t understand…”   Jumi sighed and went back to her homework.

Jihoon shrugged in his mind and went back to his homework. They always finish their homework at class during small breaks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma had just finished her shift now and was ready to leave. She changed her uniform and put her scarf around her neck then stepped out. While walking to the car her cell rang and she received it very quickly.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Jin Norma?”

‘Norma Jin…’

 

“Yes?”

 

“This is the police station; we found the match. You just have to come here and receive it.”

 

“Yes officer, thank you. I’ll be there.”    She hung up and dialed again. This time it was the orphanage.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Granny, this is Norma. Can I leave you with Jihoon for an hour?”    Norma asked.

 

“Of course you can. Good timing, a lot of kids just came back from school.”   Granny laughed hearing the children playing.

 

“Thanks Granny; I’ll give u a news once I’m there.”

 

“Ok hon bye.”

 

“Bye..”     she hung up and got inside her car then started it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma picked Jihoon up from his school however she was expecting him to say something because she got the information that Mr. Kim had visited and they spoke alone.

But he was quiet like a monk as usual.

 

“Jihoon I have some work at the police station so I will leave you granny for a while.”    Norma informed hoping he would ask what she had found at the police station because Jihoon knew…Norma had been trying to find her for the past 4 years.

 

“Jihoon…you are absolutely quiet today….”   She stated the obvious without expression.

 

“No I’m not…”    Jihoon didn’t seem to get the sting.

 

“Then…?”

 

“Nothing, concentrate on your driving.”

 

Norma sighed knowing he was damn pissed and it was pointless arguing. She rarely went against his points because…shockingly he was mostly right for a 6 year old.

They arrived at the place and entered the house. Kids were playing and eating while Granny was listening to old songs.

 

“Norma.” Granny smiled and embraced her.

 

“Hey Granny, sorry to bother you.”     She smiled barely noticeable.

 

“No bother hun. Hello Jihoon.”

 

“Hello Gran.”   Jihoon bowed greeting her.

 

“Well I’ll be going; oh a news for you.”   Norma remembered. Jihoon looked at her thinking she would say about Kim Jaejoong.

 

“I found the results, they even have her address.”    Norma informed and granny’s face was quite shocked. Jihoon slumped on the floor besides the other kids totally disappointed. He hoped Norma to tell her and hide him.

 

“Then you shouldn’t waste your time here. Go now.”   Granny urged and pushed her out of the gate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Norma decided to walk because of only 30 minutes distance. She wasn’t sure whether she should be happy or not because, she wasn’t interested in meeting someone who thought of her as a burden.

 

‘Jessica, I fulfilled your other wish.’

 

“AAHH! SOMEBODY! HE’S STEALING MY BAG! UGH!”    she heard a scream of a woman and rushed to the scenario. Her eyes widened at the young woman who was pushed off on the ground as the man snatched her bag and ran for it. Many people rushed to help her; she only injured her knee. She didn’t know what came over but she chased after the robber.

 

The robber noticed that a woman was running after him and was shocked when he noticed her face…big sadako like eyes, sadako like hair and…

 

“AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!”    he ran faster with smoke leaving behind and Norma fastened with double speed.

 

‘Is she crazy?! She’s supposed to help the girl I hurt?! AND SHE’S CHASING ME LIKE A MANIAC!!!’    he thought hard when he heard her scream.

 

“I’m GONNA GET YOU…….. HAAAAAAAHHHH!”      she jumped over him knocking the man on the ground and she his head with her elbow sending the man into unconsciousness. She sighed but remained sitting on his back.

 

“Hey! Are you alright?!”   a man called behind her and she turned around. The man came running towards her and his eyes widened at the picture before him.    “Did you just…knock him out?”    he asked quite stunned.

Norma got off the robber and stood up fixing her dress.

 

“Yes and I’m very sorry for taking the law in my hands; the police might…”    she said in a worried manner however poker faced.

 

“That’s ok…the police wont charge you. I’m an inspector too.”    His face was still filled with shock.

 

“Ahh that’s good then. Thank you so much for clearing me. I will be off then.”    Her tension wore off and she bowed lightly and turned to leave.

 

“Wait…”    he called and Norma turned around.   “I’m Kim Junsu.”    He introduced lightly not taking his eyes off her. He seemed in a daze.

 

“I’m Norma Jin; pleasure to meet you.”    She briefly nodded robotic like and headed off leaving Junsu in a daze.

 

‘She looks so…similar to her.’

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------