chapter 26

Circle of trust

 

“Ma…I don’t wanna stay here anymore…”

Norma gaped at him; her heart burning with pain causing her trouble breathing.

 

“I wanna go to him. He gives everything I want; he can give everything I want. Don’t take it offensively.”

 

“No…”    she shook her head.     “Of course not son. I told you once; I won’t give you up until you really want to.”

 

“I want to.”

 

“Yeah…I’ll hire you a cab and…send you off.”     She turned and continued with her work.

 

“You won’t come with me?”    He asked cautiously not wanting her to notice his concern.

 

“No boy. As much as you want to go to him; I still don’t want to see his face.”    She tried to sound normal.

 

“I get it…I’ll go to sleep then.”

 

“Yeah and sleep tight…you’ll be leaving tomorrow early.”

Jihoon nodded with a slight response and went to his room shutting the door of her room. Norma’s hands stopped there slightly shaking. She had no idea what just happened but she had an idea that this would happen ever since that day when she returned from the hospital. He had started acting weird since then.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 “ASD?”    Norma emphasized.     “As in…atrial septal defect? But how?”     She was shocked.

 

“Looks like you have much knowledge on it…when you were unconscious; I heard your heart murmur and noticed your skin blue. Seeing the symptoms I got your chest x-ray without your permission for which I am very sorry.”    Doctor Changmin stated unhappy; holding out the x-ray to her.    

 

“Although the x-ray does not identify your heart defect but condition…I am pretty much sure that you have a hole in your heart. The most possible cause could be genetic…from your mother or father…”

She was sure her mother didn’t have it or else Brooke would have mentioned it and she had no idea of her father.

 

“What are the risks? And would I be able to get treated successfully?”    She asked sparing a glance at Yeonhee.

 

“Risks are high if your defect is not small which I am not sure of, but as you fainted I am quite convinced that it’s large. These can include life threatening problems including right-sided heart failure; heart rhythm abnormalities; shortened life expectancy; increased risk of a …but my question is…despite having the symptoms why did you not get in touch with a doctor?”     He seemed disappointed.

 

“I never knew the symptoms.”   She answered.

 

“Blue skin…you seem to have uneven breathing…did you ever notice that?”

 

“…Yes…but I never thought it would be…”

 

“That’s the problem with you people…you guys think nothing bad can happen to you. Females are especially prone to diseases.”    

 

“Changmin she must have some problems other than her health.”    Yeonhee tried to it and it successfully stopped him from lecturing her.

 

“Well…consider yourself to have shorter lifespan…the defect is…longstanding.”    Changmin added.    “Well I’m not an expert…I will recommend you a specialized cardiologist.”    He took out a paper and wrote a name and handed it to her.    “Get in touch with him and he will ask few questions and tell you about the treatment and its cost.”

 

She set an appointment for the next day with the doctor which doctor Changmin had recommended; but she was concerned…the x-ray cost itself about $150…she knew it was expensive. All the bad things had to happen today…she was about to press the bell when Junsu opened the door with a huge smile. She cocked her head aside looking at him.

He stood aside and let her in. Entering the house she saw the reason for his wide glee…the entire group. All were smiling except Ga-in…she was glaring at her; Norma knew she would surely be smacked. Ga-in marched to her and surprisingly hugged her tightly.

 

“Ga-in?”    She managed to mumble out in between the hug.

 

“Idiot! I told you not to act so dramatically.”    She muttered near her ears and pulled away.

 

“How did you guys find me?”

 

“Long story hun.”    Granny answered; Norma looked at Junsu who kept playing with some kids.   “Jihoon managed to tell us all…you just should have come to us.”

 

“And if you think just because that bastard has threatened you to hurt us…”    looking at Junsu Ga-in said.    “No offense Junsu.”

 

“None taken.”   He waved his hands.

 

“As I was saying…just because he threatened you don’t make us vulnerable. I smacked Park Yoochun on the face; if he makes an allegation on it, I will reveal all what he did.”

 

“You…hit Park Yoochun?”    Norma asked bewildered.

Ga-in merely smirked getting a kiss on her head by a man. Well they were all happy. Could she tell about her condition?

 

“Thank you.”    A sudden smile appeared on Norma’s face…and they caught up to everything. Nothing was left out although new news was flashed by Narsha that her parents had arranged her marriage with a police man also the older brother of the current CEO Jung Yunho, Jung Jihoon, who is also known to Junsu. Small world for them…although Narsha expressed she wasn’t happy and neither was Rain. But they secretly made an agreement and laid out their own terms. To alls disappointment it was a marriage of convenience. Narsha was allowed to adopt Mimi however as per law she would be able to do so after three years of marriage.

All were hoping they would actually fall in love till then.

 

Then it was decided that Norma need not move out of Seoul…she would stay here and Narsha and Ga-in would personally protect her. As for others…they won’t be harmed as well.

 

“How is Taeyeon? Kim Jaejoong knew about her…”

 

“You need not worry about that. She’ll be under my connections.”    Narsha assured.

She could only smile…

 

The group left after a long dinner and she knew that they had accepted Junsu as their ally. When they all left Junsu left her with a particular kind of smile she never noticed before…it seemed like an assurance smile.

 

She hid the report not showing Jihoon and put him to sleep. Then the checked the net for any sort of pre-information on it. $658,000 for a heart transplant if needed…that was a lot for Norma…even if she did not need a transplant, she would need an open heart surgery if the hole can’t be repaired and that might cost around hundred thousand dollars…she didn’t have the money. Her life was shortened because of it. It shouldn’t be serious…plenty of people has this problem and…she has rich friends; they will surely help her.

 

“How ungrateful am I? If I do ask I would be what my mother had called me.”

 

She wasn’t willing to prove her mother right…Jihoon was sleeping now. They had plenty to catch up to and they did. She never felt this happy in a long time. She had no idea why this had to happen.

 

“I’ll think about it in the morning.”

She turned the computer off and the turned the lights out. She went to her room and laid down recalling all that happened today.

 

“I won’t die that easily…”   she whispered trying to calm herself.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The next morning she went to see the doctor and…she had her questions prepared as per internet and she asked within that limited time; also she was asked few.

 

When did you first begin experiencing symptoms?”

 

“I never had the serious symptoms before…until now.”

 

“Have the symptoms been continuous or occasional?”

 

“These days yes…continuous.”

 

“Do your symptoms get worse when you exercise?”

 

“Yes…like when I run or pick heavy items.”

 

“Does anything else seem to make your symptoms worse?”

 

“When I get frustrated…”

“Is there anything that seems to improve the symptoms?”

 

“Nothing specific…when I rest.”

 

“Do you or have any family history of heart problems?”

 

“I don’t know…my mother doesn’t and…”   she was hesitant.    “I never knew my father.”

The doctor nodded and asked his last question.

 

“We need to do some tests…to detect the hole. Echocardiogram is the most common test for ASD. If this proves successful then we need no further tests. If not further diagnosis would be necessary. How old are you?”

 

“24.”

 

“How come you never had symptoms before? It was there during childhood. Didn’t your mother ever have you tested?”

 

“My mother didn’t think it was necessary…”

 

“Well if it isn’t serious then we won’t need an open heart surgery or a heart transplant on that matter. Let’s just see the results.”

 

That appointment had cost her about $200 and the treatment further cost $300…she needed to do something for her job

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Upon returning home she heard Jihoon shouting. She rushed to see Jihoon messing his clothes.

 

“This place stinks! There are fleas in my clothes and the roof still hasn’t been fixed!”

 

“You just noticed Jihoon…”   she leaned quite surprised to see his uproar.    “Its been like this since we’ve been here.”

 

“Well I’ve been quiet before…but not now.”   He slumped on the sofa.    “Other kids would have soft cushioned beds…and I’m here rotting away.”

 

“Jihoon why do you say that?”    She sat beside him trying to pat his head but he shoved his head away.    “What’s the matter?”

 

“I don’t like it here…I miss my old home…the old comfy home.”

 

“I know but Kim Jaejoong wouldn’t let us have it…”

 

“I know…”     he mumbled.    “I really miss school and Jumi…and Mimi…and…I can’t bring any friends here. Not that I have one anymore.”

 

“I’m sorry Jihoon…”  

Without responding to that, he got off and walked away. He was fine last day…she had to wait for the results. She quickly hid the report in her wardrobe.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“My parents had limited my salary this time because of what I did…of course that wasn’t the one who told them…I was myself. This means I won’t be able to donate much to the orphanages or invest where I think is potentially valuable…I have to keep the entire thing to myself. sometimes…”    Ga-in laughed on the speaker while Norma was working in the kitchen. Running back to the phone she responded.

 

“Even though I am happy for the slap; I’m sorry about the deduction is pocket money. How much do you have that is so low?”

 

“About a million dollars or so but it’s not enough as my savings…I don’t get much salary anyway; like 25k or so annually.”

 

“Tough luck. That won’t even cover your wedding if you plan to use your own money or buy your own apartment.”

 

“I guess so. And Narsha, apart from her savings, has been told to reduce her investments due to marriage issues. Her family will be spending a lot on wedding stuff. So unfortunate.”

 

“Well as granny said she had to get married…”

 

“Uh-huh…well I’ll go. Plenty of work to do. I’ll see you someday and say hi to the little tyke.”

 

“Sure Ga-in…bye.”

She hung up and noticed Jihoon standing there.     “Jihoon; how long have you been standing there?”

 

“Heard the whole thing. So…they are lacking pocket money I heard.”    He took a seat near the computer.

 

“Yep…poor them.”    She went back to the kitchen.

 

“Ma?” 

 

“Yes.”   She held her head out.

 

“When will I go to school?” 

Norma came out of the kitchen and saw his face…he seemed…rather mad silently.

 

“As soon as I get a job; I promise.”    She tried to assure him.

 

“I don’t think you ever can…not when he’s on the loose…why don’t you just stop?”

 

“Jihoon…”   she was actually shocked.    “What is wrong with you?”

 

“Nothing. Get a decent job quickly…”

He stood up and went to his room. Norma just sighed and went back to the kitchen…she yet had to see her results.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The result was astonishing…her defect was larger than the doctor thought…if any late a heart transplant would be necessary…she hid the report and was startled by the sudden phone call. She rushed to receive it from her room.

 

“Hello.”

 

“Hey. How you doing?”

 

“Junsu…”   she huffed out relieved; then noticed Jihoon going to her room.    “What’s up?”

 

“Nothing here. Just have few offers for you; hoping you could take it.”

 

“Of course…”   she noticed Jihoon coming out with a pen from her room.    “Thanks a lot.”

 

“Alright just write down.”

 

“Yeah.”   She noticed a pen right beside the phone and started writing. After few talks she hung up and went to Jihoon’s room and saw him writing few things. She knocked catching his attention.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Listing few things.”

 

“Like what?”    She took a seat beside him.

 

“Like what I can give Mimi and Jumi.”    He bluntly answered. Norma looked away…she did not have the decent money to buy him anything to give them…or else she won’t be able to buy food…but he already knew that; then why would he even think of it?

 

“Jihoon…I uh…”

 

“I know we don’t have the money…but if we only could spare some…enough.”   He left off…his tone gave away a regret like voice.

 

“I’m sorry…if we spend now; we may not have food for later…”

 

“How come a child like me has to think that? I don’t get it…”

 

“Blame your uncle…”   she tried to joke when she noticed his face…he wasn’t in the mood to joke.    “Jihoon…”

 

“I’m gonna take a nap.”     He lied down on his bed while Norma just stared at his figure…something was bothering him…

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“So…we have two options; one is the cardiac catheterization which is…”

 

“I know…”   Norma cut off having been visited to the website beforehand.   

 

“So you know how discomforting it will be however the safest method or we could require the open heart.”

 

“Doctor…”   she her lips.   “I can’t go through a surgery now…I don’t have any money for that.”

 

“You can get help…cause your chances of death has been increased by 25% Norma.”

 

“No…just…get me any medication that would reduce the symptoms…so no one would notice.”

 

“Then what about…?”

 

“I don’t care about the surgery…I won’t do the surgery if required.”   ‘To stay with my son till my life…’

She couldn’t say that though…even if she dies suddenly young; she would make sure to transfer the custody to someone else.

 

“Norma please…never in my life have I let go off my patients without treatment and…”

 

“Well this time you have to because even if I have help around me…I would never take them. I have my reasons. Just prescribe me my medications…”

The doctor sighed but nevertheless prescribed the medicines she needed. He actually wished he had her family contacts so he could have informed them.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

After the appointment and the argument with the doctor; he only prescribed her some medicines and she hid them very well in her wardrobe. Somehow when she came back and put her things in the wardrobe; she suddenly noticed that Jihoon was nowhere. It was near sunset and he wasn’t at home. Of course he wouldn’t be at home all day; he played with some children outside.

She went outside looking for him and noticed few women gossiping. She went to them and greeted them asking about him.

 

“Jihoon? No he didn’t come out to play today. Maybe he went somewhere else.”

Where would he go? The store would be the possible explanation; she went there however no avail. She kept looking around the laundry store, the broken playground and lastly the telephone booth.

 

“Yes a kid was here; he called someone.”

 

“Did he look like this?”    Norma showed a picture of Jihoon on her cell; the man nodded.    “Can you redial the number?”    She asked giving the man the money required for the call. She held the phone to her ears and her it ring two times before it being picked up by someone.

 

“Hello Kim residence…”

She hung up immediately…he called the Kim residence. She turned to the man and asked.

 

“Did you hear what he said?”

 

“Oh well…he kept saying some difficult words for his age like…’she must know about it’ and…something with…I forgot.”

She didn’t push it further; but she wondered why he would call the Kim residence or why he would hide it from her…unless…he wanted to get away from her however didn’t want to be burdened with the guilt of leaving her after everything.

 

She thanked the man and went back home knowing he would have gone back already. She entered the home and just as she thought; he was there on his PC.

 

“Hi Jihoon…”   she softly said but he didn’t respond.    “Where were you? I was looking for you.”

 

“I went for a walk…”     he was lying; that hurt Norma very much.

 

“Jihoon?”

 

“Hmm…”    he didn’t take his eyes off the screen.

 

“If you have any problems…just share it with me ok?”

Jihoon put the mouse and looked at his mother with an obvious expression.

 

“Have you been looking into my things or something ma?”

 

“No dear of course not. Just you’ve been acting really frustrated and you haven’t gone out to play so…”

 

“So worse; you’ve been spying on me.”

 

“Jihoon I won’t do something that low. You weren’t home so I was asking few people and they said…”   she left off seeing his face…filled with contempt. She lightly smiled and added.     “Never mind…continue your work.”

She went to her room and shut the door…falling on the bed; clutching her heart. She didn’t want Jihoon to suffer like this. He was always used to a luxurious life but now the sudden change is getting to him. She would need to act quickly on this matter.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

She had interviewed the places Junsu had suggested and she was actually optimistic this time that it would work. Junsu did ask on the phone why Ga-in or Narsha could not hire her and her answer was.

 

“Because they are not in charge of the culinary department. They want experienced people and both cannot interfere it. That would be completely biased; something that both industry are well known for-unbiased.”

 

“Well what can we do? I just hope this works out for you. Talk to you later then.”

 

“Thanks again Junsu…”   she smiled on the phone actually grateful to him.

 

“What are friends for eh?...Just take care of yourself. Bye.”

She went home after the interview; when she stepped into the room she saw a game console beside the PC and Jihoon was playing it.

 

“Jihoon.”   She stepped out of her shoes shocked to see the expensive thing.   “Where did you get it?”

 

“Uncle came by.”

 

“Junsu?”

 

“Uncle Jaejoong…”

 

“How?”   She stopped there shocked.   “How did he know this place?”   Of course…she knew the answer.

 

“I called him yesterday…telling about this place.”

 

“Why? We were trying to hide from him so…why now?”

He stopped playing and looked at her.

 

“Must I explain everything to you ma? Plus; I am entitled to the wealth of Kim’s aren’t I?”

He was right…she had no business in it.

 

“Yes…you are entitled to the Kim’s.”

She went to her room and shut the door…unable to think further.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Today was her first day at her work; she was happy and had gotten her salary in advance. She thought she should buy something for Jihoon as she stopped near a toy shop. She recalled how Jihoon wanted something for Jumi and Mimi…perhaps she could buy two bears for the girls. She entered the shop and bought two pretty looking teddies and went home.

 

“Jihoon! Look what I bought for Jumi and Mimi.”   She happily announced as Jihoon walked in looking at the teddies with wide eyes.

 

“Ma…where did you get the money?”

 

“My first salary of course.”   She sat on the floor massaging her legs…they’ve been aching lately.

 

“Oh…”   he showed to expression.    “I’m sure they won’t need it any longer.”

 

“Why not?”   She asked.

He went to his room and brought two toys out…two big sized teddies…one blue and one red. She looked at her gifts and looked back at his…hers were so small.

 

“Where did you get these?”

 

“Uncle Jaejoong sent them with his driver; he couldn’t come.”

 

“Jihoon didn’t he say anything about taking you?”

 

“Nope.”

She didn’t bother asking why because he was acting different; perhaps his mind head decided and has chosen his uncle over her. Who wouldn’t? She can’t give anything to him anymore despite the fact that it was Jaejoong…she said nothing further and went to her room. It was time for her medicine.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Dinner was finished and Norma was putting away the dirty dishes in the sink. After that she was putting her bed when she noticed her teddies; she thought to return them tomorrow if they would take it back. She was still wondering why Jihoon would hide his true wishes to go to his uncle…maybe she would talk to him tomorrow morning. That is if he wants to go to his uncle…she wouldn’t mind but where would she go? All this time she was thinking that if he wanted to go; she would let him but…after all this…she won’t be able to look at him again because too much had been done to hurt her. It cannot be repaired by just returning her what he had once. Her ego, her emotions were hurt and her character was questioned. Park Yoochun physically hurt her…she can’t ever pretend that all is fine…

 

A knock pulled her out of her thoughts; she turned to see Jihoon standing there with a sleepy face.

 

“What’s the matter boy?”

 

“Too many fleas…can’t sleep.”   He muttered.    “And noises of old men outside.”

 

“Sorry about that; how about you…?”

 

“I can’t take it anymore…”   he cut her off.

 

“Jihoon it’s only a matter of time before I…”

 

“No ma!”    He raised his voice.   “Don’t you get it? No matter what we do or where we hide he will never stop!”

 

“Jihoon we know but we promised…”

 

“No.”    His voice was firm.    “Not only him hunting us…even I can’t lead this life anymore…”

 

“Jihoon…”

 

“Ma…I don’t wanna stay here anymore…”

Norma gaped at him; her heart burning with pain causing her trouble breathing.

 

“I wanna go to him. He gives everything I want; he can give everything I want. Don’t take it offensively.”

 

“No…”    she shook her head; convinced once and for all.      “Of course not son. I told you once; I won’t give you up until you really want to.”

 

“I want to.”

No…but she didn’t want him to.

 

“Yeah…I’ll hire you a cab and…send you off.”     She turned and continued with her work.

 

“You won’t come with me?”    He asked cautiously not wanting her to notice his concern.

 

“No boy. As much as you want to go to him; I still don’t want to see his face.”    She tried to sound normal.

 

“I get it…I’ll go to sleep then.”

 

“Yeah and sleep tight…you’ll be leaving tomorrow early.”

Jihoon nodded with a slight response and went to his room shutting the door of her room. Norma’s hands stopped there slightly shaking. She had no idea what just happened but she had an idea that this would happen ever since that day when she returned from the hospital.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Nobody has to know about this okay Jihoon; especially not your aunt Ga-in. I’ll explain on my own terms so she won’t discuss further with you on this okay?”    Norma said as she was taking out a bundle of money.    “This is the fare to the address; keep the remains and…”    she gave him the two teddies.    “If you see them; Jumi and Mimi, give them this. I know you already have two bigger teddies but giving them from me would make me happy.”    She sounded normal somehow and extremely jolly.

 

“No need to call me when you get there and does he know he is picking you up?”    She added.

 

“No…I’ll just call him from outside. His maids will let me enter and I’m sure I would see grandma inside.”    His voice was emotionless and firm.

 

“Alright then. The aftermath will be discussed later.”

 

“Uncle Jaejoong may want to talk to you.”

 

“When he does I will…I’m not that impolite.”

He looked outside the window looking at the cab; then looked back at her.

 

“Well…this is goodbye then.”

 

“Yeah; I hope you made this decision for your own benefit.”

 

“Yes I did; this would benefit you too in a way although I didn’t consider that.”

 

“That’s good to hear.”    She smiled.    “I wouldn’t want to imprison you here.”    Her smile faded as she looked at the cab from the window too.    “Go then. Just text me when you’re there, or leave a message.”

 

She walked out alongside him and led him in the cab; she directed the cab to the location and stepped aside. The car started...startling her of the sudden moment. It sped off…leaving her alone.

 

Her face…was…normal. She turned to her building and just…walked inside like a zombie.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jaejoong was ready to leave for his office; he kissed his mother’s cheek before leaving when a maid came in.

 

“Young Master?”

 

“Didn’t I tell you not to call me when I am leaving?”    He muttered in annoyance as he glared at the old maid.

 

“Jaejoong leave it.”    His mother shrugged off.    “What is it?”

 

“A child is here…I think it’s your nephew…he states himself as Jihoon.”

 

“What?”    His mother stood up and stared at him. He wasted to time and rushed outside ordering the guard to let the cab in. The guard opened the gate however…Jihoon stepped out before the cab could move in. Jaejoong saw Jihoon paying the man and walked inside the gate with nothing but the teddies. Jaejoong rushed to him and took all the teddies and his backpack and called the guard to help him.

 

“Jihoon…what?...what is going on?”

 

“I did what I promised Mr. Kim…I left her today…now it’s your turn.”

Jaejoong smiled and pulled the kid to an embrace with a lovely laugh.

 

“Of course Jihoon…anything for you. Now let’s get you inside.”