29

Circle of trust

 

Junsu had been searching everywhere for her; he didn’t spare her last working place and all he heard was she suddenly left. Although suspicious thing was; her last boss didn’t bad mouth her for leaving so suddenly. He would get occasional calls from his hyung and of course he would darkly talk to him or not at all. His father was even more worried over his attitude with his brother. He tried to make his son understand but Junsu refused to listen.

 

He was going crazy…

 

After his visit to the Hans, Norma’s sister Nayobi had him introduced to Lee Yoori and Jiyong whom he had known from his brother. They speculated few possibilities and searched all over. But not getting any results he still had not given up. Although in midst of this search; he hadn’t forgotten his duties to his citizen. Three days had already passed…since his visit to Han.

He was standing near her last workplace hoping to even get a glimpse of her when his cell phone rang.

 

“What do you want?”    Knowing who it was he muttered.

 

“Junsu, I found her; that’s why I called you.”

Yoochun sounded happy for some reason but Junsu did not ask. His mind simply went black hearing that.

 

“You…found her?”

 

“Yes I did…it was not supposed to be where we thought but she was there.”

 

“You’re lying to me…”

He assumed that to bring Junsu back to the mansion for more brainwashing. But then something struck his sight near the café…he saw her. He quickly hid behind a tree and hung up without further talk. Yoochun was shocked as to why he would do that however Junsu didn’t care that now.

 

He was right; they were lying about her leaving. She never left; she merely was not present all the time and she might have told them something else for her disappearance and got her boss into helping her. No wonder her boss did not badmouth her. He peeked in and saw her going in with a package and after few long minutes she came out putting cash in her pocket.

 

She was working contractually…but he could only wonder why.

Without making much noise he followed her and safely put a mask on his face. He followed her to the bus stop however as she was about to get on the bus; he put his hand on her shoulder. She turned around and at that moment he opened his mask.

 

Her eyes widened seeing him in front of her and above that his face wasn’t happy as usual.

 

“Jun…su…”

Not wasting any moment; he took her hand and pulled her however she pulled herself back unsuccessfully.

 

“Where are you taking me?!”

 

“Somewhere private.”

He muttered.

 

“I’m not going Junsu. Let go!”

 

“You’re going with me.”

Using half of his force; he pulled her completely to his jeep and pushed her into it. Shutting harshly; he took his seat and started the jeep when he heard her shouting at him.

 

“Junsu you better let me out now! I will scream all the road if you don’t!”

 

“I don’t care…”

He started ignition and sped off.

He actually was expecting her to yell all the way for help however she wasn’t. She remained silent and kept her eyes on the road while he calmly drove. She had brains not to disturb during driving.

 

On the other hand she wasn’t expecting any of these. First Yoochun and now him. Just how did they find her? Yoochun was a pure coincidence and Junsu had been investigating.

 

As for her…many things happened since Jihoon left. Within 4 days she had to arrange a small place for herself and transfer her belongings there. She had to make up a story to her boss about some people looking for her for bad purpose and they had agreed for her contractual services on call.

 

The money she had been getting; was used for her medicines. She was not planning for a surgery as she did not have sufficient amount. She knew that she could only survive as long as she could earn.

The circumstances were quite clichéd according to her. Nothing seemed realistic anymore.

 

The jeep stopped and Norma noticed where she was. They have arrived near an apartment; Junsu hopped off and went to her side; taking her arm and getting her out not so harshly. She was rather immersed with her surroundings than him pulling her. She did not protest much as she did before.

 

When the guard had saluted to Junsu; she realized that it was his place. She soon started wiggling her arm to get free and protested.

 

“Junsu this is madness bringing a stranger woman to your place!”

He did not utter a word.

 

“What would people think when they see you with me?!”

He didn’t answer.

 

“Maybe it doesn’t matter to you but it does to me!”

He finally took out his keys and unlocked the door; she added.

 

“Of course you wouldn’t care because it doesn’t concern you!”

Pushing the door open he yanked her inside as he entered and locked the door letting the key hang on the lock.

 

He turned around with deadly eyes as she stepped back. His usual squeaky tone disappeared as he asked.

 

“Where were you?”

 

“I…”

 

“Do you know how long we’ve been looking for you?”

He marched forward as she took long steps back.

 

“Do you know how your friends have been working hard to find you? Do you have any idea what you stupid action caused?! Do You, yourself even care?!”

His arms slammed on the walls besides her trapping Norma between his hands. She didn’t realize how she ended up being cornered.

She was startled; mostly she was afraid of this side of him. She was lightly shaking as she started at Junsu before her. His head hung low as she finally noticed tears falling on the floor.

 

“Why did you leave?”

His voice gave up as he sobbed.

 

“Why Norma? Why did you leave us? Why? Why?”

His body was defeated as he fell down on his knees and sobbed harder. No being able to resist she kneed before him and held his shoulders.

 

“Why did you go away?”

 

“I’m…I’m so sorry Junsu…I had to leave…I had no reason to stay.”

She whispered to him. Seeing his weak condition; she felt even more helpless.

Looking up at Norma, Junsu silently asked.

 

“No reason? What about your friends? Your orphan mates? What about Jihoon?...what about us? How could you forget all of it?”

 

“Junsu…”

She had nothing to say.

 

“Please come back…we need you; your friends need you; Jihoon needs you…I need you.”

The last bit came out as a whisper when she felt a lump in . She gulped many times to get rid of the pain but in the end she felt her tears coming out.

 

After so many years she finally cried.

 

“I can’t go back.”

She wearingly added as she wept.

 

“Why not?”

 

“Too many things had happened…too much to bear…my mind can’t tolerate anymore. Please let me go…”

 

“Please don’t leave us…don’t leave me. Don’t; don’t…”

He cried badly as he bent over and laid his head on her kneed lap; wrapping his arms around her abdomen. He shed tears on her knees as she embraced his back motherly.

 

“Junsu…don’t behave like a kid…”    she sniveled.     “You have to let me go.”

Shaking his head he added.

 

“I already lost someone dear to me; I won’t lose her again. I won’t lose you. You can’t leave us.”

Straightening up he took her face in his hands.

 

“I won’t let you leave us. You have too many people loving you; you can’t hurt all of them.”

Leaning his head on hers he whispered as they shut their eyes.

 

“You will not leave us.”

 

“Junsu…”

 

“No…no.”

He shook his head harshly.

 

“Your friends and Jihoon love you too much. They all need you. You won’t leave them. You can’t leave them.”

She knew that…she knew all of it. They all loved her and she loved all back. She needed them just as much they needed her.

However things were not exactly simple as he made it to be. On above that…something new yet problematic had struck to her and she couldn’t help but hide it. this would hurt him too much.

 

“I have to leave them.”    She cried harder.

 

“I can’t help it Junsu…I have to leave them. Please understand!”

Resting her head on his shoulder; feeling her energy draining she cried more.

 

“I can’t be with them…I can’t be with you…I love them too much…and I…”

She couldn’t see anymore…as she left him hanging.

She fell on his arms unconscious.

 

“Norma! Norma what’s wrong?! Norma!”

He shook her trying to wake her up but she didn’t budge.

 

“Norma!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong was looking into his graduation photo in his office. Ever since Jihoon had found out; Jaejoong resumed his office work again not being able to face him anymore. Jihoon was admitted to his previous school and his class would start about a week later.

 

He had graduated under university of London external programme in business. Even though he had the wealth for internal studies; since his mother was alone with his younger brother, he decided to stay in Korea and study London syllabus at the same time.

He had graduated with 6 first classes out of 8 along with another candidate whose photo was besides his.

 

“I wonder what she’s doing now…probably went back to Japan.”

He mumbled and his cell rang. He received and greeted.

 

“Yes mother.”

 

“Uncle; it’s me.”

 

“Jihoon…hi.”    He smiled to himself glad that his nephew called.     “What is it kid? Is there anything you need?”

 

“Uncle…I need a favour…ma is in the hospital…she’s very weak…can you take me to her?”

Jaejoong’s smile faded…not because of his eagerness to go to her…but because of what e heard. She was weak and was in the hospital.

 

“Of course! I will be there and we’ll go together wherever she is. But who told you?”

 

“Uncle Junsu called. He told me where they are…”

 

“I’ll be there. Just you wait ok? And Jihoon?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I promised you her treatment and I will fulfill it.”

Jaejoong faced few seconds of silence and then heard his voice.

 

“Thank you uncle.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Junsu sat there resting his head on his knuckles in the hospital corridor. He never thought this was the main reason for her departure. She was suffering from a hole in her heart. After long minutes of crying in his home, his head and throat ached.

 

Few footsteps startled him as he looked up and saw Ga-in and Granny walking in. He stood up and bowed to them when they had asked for explanation. He explained all and in the end Ga-in slumped on the bench helplessly with Joongki holding her.

 

“Never in my life had I thought this was the problem. Norma having this condition. What did the doctors actually say about her condition?”

 

“Her lifespan had shortened…and although there is nothing on sudden death…we can’t expect it not to happen.”

Junsu was tired…really tired and his face showed it.

 

“Yoori tell Nayobi of this situation and tell her to bring her parents. They might want to know about this.”

Yoori nodded and left her side. Granny sat beside Ga-in and let her head rest on hers.

 

“Why does Norma have to even go through this? Poor girl…seems like god isn’t done testing her.”

 

“God has nothing to do with it.”     Ga-in muttered.    “Kim Jaejoong does.”

Junsu didn’t respond to that however his attention was caught with sighting Jihoon and Jaejoong. They all started or glared at Jaejoong while Junsu walked to Jihoon.

 

“Why did you bring him along? Wasn’t aunt at home?”

 

“She was…I decided to bring him.”

 

“Why Jihoon?”

Before Jihoon could answer; Jaejoong intervened.

 

“Because I made a deal with him and I intend to fulfill it.”

 

“This never would have happened had you not come to their lives Kim!”

Ga-in standing up barked at his face; Joongki held her shoulders to calm her down. However her offensive words didn’t matter to him.

 

“Uncle Jaejoong can help. Because of him or not she had this condition from the very beginning and…he can fix it if she gets proper treatment.”

Jihoon cut their fight off and opined.

 

“Are you insane Jihoon? He’s the one who brought down your mother low! Why are you even thinking…!”

 

“Aunt Ga-in I have to take all I have. I would have asked you but…you do enough for the orphanage and I know there is no way you would touch your parents’ money. Please…for me. I don’t want her to suffer anymore.”

 

All of them were shocked; not due to his reasons but his face. His eyes shed tears as he reasoned. Never before he had cried but now he was desperate to help his ma.

 

“I don’t care who did what. I only need her healthy. I need her alive!”

 

They could say nothing and none of them could move, Junsu moved and kneeled down before Jihoon; putting his hand on Jihoon’s shoulder.

 

“You’re right. The only way to do this is to pursue her. Your ma won’t agree.”

 

“Uh pardon me.”    A doctor walked to them.    “She’s awake. I informed her of your arrival but not all of you can get in. please visit her one by one.”

 

“You and Jihoon should go first granny…we’ll come later.”

Granny nodded and entered the room taking Jihoon; Ga-in and Joongki walked away for some coffee and Junsu looking at Jaejoong asked.

 

“Are you even genuine on this hyung? Or looking for benefit?”

 

“There is always benefit for me Junsu. I’m a bloody businessman after all.”

Smirking at Jaejoong; he looked away.

 

“You’ll never learn hyung. I’m going for coffee.”

 

“You go ahead. I’ll wait.”

Junsu nodded briefly and walked away while another footstep caught his attention. Turning to that; Jaejoong saw Yoori coming.

 

“Yoori? How is it that you are here?”

 

“I work for my boss who is here to visit Norma Jin.”

 

“Son Ga-in? You work for Son Ga-in? I’m not surprised she took you due to your skills but…what differences were there between your former workplace and the new one?”

 

“Apart from my boss being Norma Jin’s friend, Norma Jin’s uterine sister is my lover.”

 

“Her sister is your…”    he couldn’t fit that image in his head.     “Lover?”

Bowing to Jaejoong she added.

 

“I must attend to my boss. Nice meeting you once again.”

Yoori headed forward leaving Jaejoong in a state of…awkwardness. He shook off his thoughts and took out his cell; dialing Yoochun.

His call was immediately received as Yoochun started babbling.

 

“Jaejoong! I called Junsu telling him; I found her but he just hung up! Damn it Jaejoong tell him!”

 

“We found her Yoochun. She’s in the hospital. I’ll text you the address of the hospital. Drop by soon.”

After a moment of silence Yoochun responded.

 

I’ll come as soon as possible.”

Hanging up he notices the doctor coming out as the other four come back from their coffee.

 

“She is insisting seeing you all.”

Looking at each other they all go inside and see her pale and weak figure. Although her face wasn’t pleasant.

 

“I heard what granny and Jihoon had said…a donation for surgery…I decline.”

 

“Norma you can’t! You need it!”       Ga-in exclaimed.

 

“No I don’t. not from him at least.”

 

“I’ll help!”

Ga-in insisted.

 

“You don’t have the luxury enough to donate. You do enough for the orphanage Ga-in.”

 

“I don’t care whether you want it or not. I have made a deal with Jihoon and I have to fulfill it.”

Jaejoong intervened.

 

“This is not a business deal Mr. Kim…I have my own wishes. The doctors can’t go against my consent.”

All of them tried reasoning with her but she had her own say. She wished to go on with her own earning even if it only brought her medications. Junsu however was the only one silent.

 

“Ma please, do it.”

 

“I won’t die Jihoon not having the surgery. I will live. I’m not that weak.”

 

“Your ego will be the downfall of you Jin.”

Jaejoong spoke making her furious however as usual she remained calm.

 

“Too long I’ve done the bid of others. Too long I’ve been tolerating the actions of others that have actually hurt me. I will do as I want to. You will not order me around.”

Her face and words were firm. She had her own command theory for now. And Jaejoong could actually see it.

 

“Then you would at least listen to us Norma.”

A different voice entered the room. Nayobi and Brooke entered the room surprising Norma.

 

“Mr. Han; Nayobi?”

 

“Sister Norma, at least listen to us. Let us help you with the surgery.”

 

“Where is Mrs. Han?”

Norma avoided her statement and asked. Hesitating a moment she answered.

 

“She’s unwell.”

 

“Maybe so…but I bet she’s not making this decision.”

 

“Does it matter Norma? You are her daughter and that makes you my daughter too.”

Brooke added.

 

“No…sorry Mr. Han. She did too much to me. I would have forgotten all if she hadn’t tried to persuade me giving up Jihoon. I won’t ever seek for her help and I know she isn’t even willing to give it.”

 

“If you have problem with us all then let me give you all the things that I have taken. Your job, house and status. That should give you enough earnings for your own surgery.”

 

“Oh that would make it so easy Mr. Kim…but no. I refuse. Basically I want nothing from you all.”

 

“You’re clearly mad sister!”

 

“Maybe I am Nayobi…but I am too angry about the past incidences…I can’t forget them.”

 

“But…”

 

“I think it’s time to leave. The patient needs her rest. Please leave and only one can stay overnight with her.”

 

“I will stay father. I’m sure the rest has their work.”

Nayobi offered and her father nodded. Granny nodded along with Ga-in. Jaejoong pursed his lips and took Jihoon’s hand leading him out. Junsu looked at Norma who did not spare a glance at him. She seemed extremely hesitant looking at him. Junsu turned and left the room as Nayobi sat beside Norma.

 

“Aren’t you going to bid Yoori bye?”

 

“Not now…I get too mushy about things.”

 

“What are you planning in the future Nayobi?”

Taking a moment of thought; she answered.

 

“I don’t know…I’m not mad.”

As she said that; her cheeks filled with tears…Norma merely gaped at her sister crying.

 

“Nayobi…”

 

“Don’t do this sister! Please…I love you Norma. You may think I’m only doing this out of some…sympathy! I’m not! I’m thrilled to have a sister who is so nice and kind and smart but…”   she sniveled and wiped her nose.

 

“I don’t want you to live shorter than me!”

Nayobi embraced her tightly suddenly shocking Norma.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________