chapter 10

Circle of trust

 

Junsu entered Sylvester in the morning to taste the same food he had once. With him tagged along his station mate Jung Jihoon and another Kim Junsu. Since the name Jihoon matched with his nephew’s, he preferred to call him Rain; not just him but everyone did. As for the other Kim Junsu he had no nickname…so in turn Junsu was named Xiah (which he chose himself) however he was only called Xiah when the other Junsu was present.

 

“Why are we here again Xiah?”     Rain leaned on the wall not really liking such a middle class place.

 

“I want to eat…”    Xiah obviously answered.

 

“But why here? Because there’re lots of women here?”     Junsu asked noticing all the women staring them besides few. There are some exceptions…

 

“If I cared about women I wouldn’t have joined the police force. We’ll take a parcel…”     Xiah walked to their restaurant and ordered the same parcel. While waiting he was looking around hoping to find someone. Both Jihoon/Rain and Junsu noticed it.

 

“Who are you looking for?”    Junsu asked.

 

“Huh? Oh a woman who works here…”

 

“You? Looking for a woman? Has the sun risen from west? Hyung?”    Junsu smirked at Jihoon.

 

“She’s married and has a son…idiot.”    Xiah remarked while Jihoon sniggered.

 

“For a moment I thought you were looking for your lover…I mean you looked so…hopeful.”     Jihoon commented looking at Xiah.

 

“That means he’s still gay.”    Junsu teased.

 

“Shut your pie hole.”    Xiah shut Junsu up.

 

The parcel arrived at their table and Xiah paid for all of it. While walking out he was thinking about asking of Norma but he didn’t know which dept. she worked in. He sighed and walked out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma woke up early and ordered their food. She took out Jihoon’s school uniform and packed his school bag. Good thing she had enough cash and bank balance to stay in the hotel but not more than 2 months. She needed to find a place quickly. Jihoon slowly woke up to see her mother was now reading the paper.

 

“You’re up early Jihoon.”    Norma pointed    “Eat up.”

Jihoon got off the bed and went into the washroom. After coming out he saw his school things packed.

 

“I’m still going to school?”    he asked

 

“I cant stop your education just for this. You have to pass grade 3.”    She said flipping to other sections.

 

“What if he comes? What if they find me?”    Jihoon asked.

 

“We’ll have to manage that. Meanwhile I have to find a job.”

Jihoon remained quiet and sat down to eat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaejoong sat in his office and was fuming up…never in his life, he had to deal with something so difficult. Norma Jin was eating his peace. He looked down on the note Jiyoung had found on the fridge.

 

*My apologies Kim Jaejoong. This isn’t the worse for me.*      it was written such simple words yet so maddening.

He was about to call his cousin Junsu when Lee Yuri-the robotic receptionist entered without knocking annoying him.

 

“What is it?”    Jaejoong didn’t say anything about not knocking.

 

“Your friend Park Yoochun has arrived.”    She answered with a monotone.

 

“Let him in…”   Jaejoong leaned on his chair rubbing his eyes.

 

“I’m already in.”    Yoochun rather barged in.   “Thanks Yuri.”   He winked at her however got no reaction from her. Instead she walked out.    “You know you should get a human employee.”     He added.

 

“I was about to call Junsu to force custody and a court order.”    Jaejoong ignored his earlier comment.

 

“Now you need law to tackle her? How weak.”    Yoochun commented.

 

“Then what am I supposed to do?! I did everything you said to make her miserable she still doesn’t back out! Now she’s nowhere to be found!”    Jaejoong barked.

 

“Relax Hyung. Just because her life doesn’t mean Jihoon’s life will be.”

 

“What does that mean?”      Jaejoong muttered

 

“That means Jihoon hasn’t been taken out of school so you know where he’ll be.”

 

“So?”

 

“So you can still see him but don’t force him to come back instead make him feel…poor. He’ll come back himself after all he’s just a kid, he wont be bothered much for emotions rather his desires. If you see Norma, make her feel more miserable; make her life more miserable and you wont need court issues to do so.”

 

“How?”   now Jaejoong was interested.

 

“Make sure Norma doesn’t get any job at any hotel or famed restaurant. She has talent sure but you have influence.”

Yoochun smirked while Jaejoong thought…it seemed possible and effective.

 

“That’s…brilliant…”    Jaejoong mumbled.

 

“Of course it’s brilliant. Its my idea.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Everyone was eating during lunchtime at the station. While the others were munching on the food Junsu or Xiah seemed not satisfied. It didn’t taste like before. He looked at others to see that it didn’t bother them much. But it bothered him…

He set the food aside out of dissatisfaction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma looked into various cheap places but yet none of them were empty now. At last she found one but very dusty and would need an entire day to clean but the destination was far away from the cities and grocery stores were not available around that house. But it was settled, it had one room with attached kitchen and a closet with a bathroom attached with toilet.

Jihoon was at school and she hoped he wouldn’t be worried about everything.

Now she had to find a job…

 

Right now it was lunchtime and she was starving…she entered a shop to buy the cheapest food available which would be bread only. she was looking in the confectionary section when her eyes fell on a familiar figure walking around. A female at least 18, wearing shirt and pants with a blue scarf around…Nayobi…her sister. She was looking in the confectionary section too. She seemed to be looking hard for a particular brand. Norma pretended not to look at her but she wanted very much to help her. But she wanted Nayobi to ask.

Norma looked around hoping to find something to get her talk to her sister…right then an ID named Nayoung was seen to be hanging on a shelf. She walked slowly to the ID and immediately took it without anyone seeing; then she walked to her sister anticipating so much. It was as if god had seen her situation.

 

“Are you also looking for bread for a particular dish?”     Norma asked politely. Nayobi looked at Norma with the feeling as if she had been rescued.

 

“Yes actually, it’s a duck dish…and I thought any bread goes with it but as you see the chef knows best.”   Nayobi nervously giggled. Her voice seemed firm as Norma’s. must have gotten from her mother.

 

Norma softly smiled looking at her. She took out white flour bread.   
“What duck dish are you making?”     Norma asked impressed that her mother had skills for cooking too.

 

“Oh no. not me, my mother is the genius. She’s making sauce duck with vinegar and everything. I don’t even know what its called.”    Nayobi half laughed embarrassed.

 

“Then it should be brown bread because you duck will rather be lemon like and spicy and the sweetness of the brown bread goes with it. Take the Gak brand.”    Norma stated smiling.

 

“Thanks! You must be an expert.”    She stated; of course Norma was. One has to see the mother.

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

“I’m Nayobi.”      She held out her hand.

 

“N…Nayoung Lee.”    Norma corrected.

 

“Yeah, its written on your ID. You look a lot like my mother.”     Nayobi said.

 

“You did hear that there are 7 people with same face on earth.”    Norma laughingly added.

They both giggled.

 

“What do you do besides working here? How do you know this much about bread?”    Nayobi asked.

 

“Its just one advice…”     Norma stated.

 

“I don’t even know an edge of it.”

 

“My grandmother is a good cook too…”     Norma lied.     “What do you do?”

 

“I’m an agriculture student so I only know how to produce food.”

Norma impressively looked at her. She would have been proud of her expressly if they were together.

 

“I was a culinary student. Who do you live with?”     Norma additionally asked.

 

“My dad and mum.”

 

“Any boyfriends?”     Norma jokingly asked yet was serious inside to know.

 

“I just stepped into adulthood…”    Nayobi melodiously laughed    “But um…I do have a crush…”      she whispered.

 

“Oh so does your parents know?”    Norma widely smiled.

 

“Both my parents do. They’re happy.”

 

“Glad to hear that.”

 

“What about you?”    Nayobi asked

 

“I have a foster son…”

 

“So you’re not married?”

 

“No.”

 

“Any lover?”

 

“None.”

 

“Any crush?”

 

“Haha yeah I had one…”    Norma remembered Jessica as her crush; she felt like telling her everything.  Nayobi giggled along with Norma. It was so weird for her to giggle. Both of them looked at their watches at the same time.

 

“I have to go.”    Nayobi said; looking at each other they both shrugged.

 

“Thank you. You’re older so I should address you as sister. Bye sister Nayoung.”

 

“Bye Nayobi.”

 

Nayobi waved and took her stuff away. Norma stood there until Nayobi left; a smile escaped her lips. She quickly left the ID and took out a bread packet.

When she stepped out after buying it, her life seemed less cruel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jihoon was in his classroom trying to avoid attention as much as possible from his teacher. Since he knew his uncle must have come to look for him, teachers might know some of the situation. It could be even that his teachers may hand him over to his uncle since his uncle had so much influence. Right now Jumi was looking at Jihoon fidgeting now and then however she didn’t bother him about it. When lunch time came Jihoon quickly ran to the bathroom trying to hide from any sort of teacher’s questions, if possible.

 

He ate his lunch in one of the cubicles alone from slight fear that his uncle might come any time to get him

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma was looking for jobs in the papers in hotels or restaurant. In fact she found few of them wanting amateur cooks for their department and all of them were 3 stars.

Norma took out her cell and dialed one of them hoping to get it by today.

 

“Hello this is Fortuna. How may I help you?”

 

“Hi, I saw your advertisement for wanted cook. Is it still available?”   she asked sounding firm.

 

“Yes in fact it is, may I know your name?”

 

“Norma Jin.”

 

“Alright Miss Norma Jin you may come in within 10 to 5 with your documents of your previous work experience and our hotel’s kitchen department’s head will test you.”

 

“Of course I’ll be coming now.”    Norma stated relieved.

 

“Very well. Our hotel will see you then.”

 

“Thank you.”    Norma hung up and heaved in a breath…things may not be that bad right now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma was thinking whether she should return the car to its original owner since she was lacking reasonable finance, but refrained from doing so because she was still in luck to get that job.

She parked near Fortuna and stepped out looking quite best; she had looked better.

 

she hopefully entered the building and walked to the receptionist; stating her name for the kitchen department. The receptionist then called in a staff from the department who led her the way for her interview. Good thing she had her documents in her car.

 

The staff had taken her to the 6th floor where she saw a woman waiting along with few other candidates with their documents. The woman smiled at Norma and looked back at the others after Norma responded.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen I will have to report to our CEO of your arrival along with our main chef who will be arriving any moment. Please wait.”    The woman stated and walked into the elevator as it closed and was going up. Norma waited along with the others till she comes.

 

Within quite a few minutes the woman came out with a man in his uniform. He looked at the candidates and cleared his throat.

 

“Who is Jin Norma?”    he asked raspy.

 

“That’s me.”   Norma lightly answered.

 

“Our CEO would like to talk to you personally. Please come with me. And the rest follow my assistant.”     He said and Norma assumed the woman to be the assistant. She entered the elevator with him while the woman was taking the rest to another room.

The others looked back before the elevator closed as Norma noticed. She was just as much as curious as they were. The main chef said nothing until the elevator hit 10th floor. They stepped out and she followed him to a huge cabin where she saw an old man sitting with a picture in his hand. He stood up as soon as he saw the main chef and Norma.

 

“You’re Jin Norma.”    He stated obviously.

 

“Yes, I am.”   She mumbled.

 

“I’m Kang Joona nice to meet you.”   He shook hands with Norma and took his seat motioning Norma to take her seat as well.    “Su Chef, you may join your candidates; I would like to speak to her alone.”

The chef hesitantly bowed before leaving both of them. Norma gulped aware of some bad news.

 

“Is there any problem?”   she asked her eyes loose.

 

“Well this came into my office today morning.”   He handed her the picture he was looking before; it was a picture of her.

 

“This is me…how did you get it? Who sent you this?”    she asked unaware of the situation now.

 

“Kim Jaejoong from the Kim corp.”

 

“What? But why…?”     she was about to finish when Kang Joona cut her off.

 

“He said you’re a talentless bloke who burnt his hotel’s kitchen.”    He finished.

 

“But I…”    she didn’t even work there.

 

“Now you very well have the guts to come after dirtying the tycoon’s kitchen.”    He stated not letting her finish with a stinging tone.

 

“I didn’t even…”

 

“I don’t know how you did that but…I wont take such risk specially coming from someone who is this big…he was generous enough to let us know.”    He sighed while Norma slumped back disbelievingly. She had no reason to explain did she?      “What do you have to say?”   he tiringly asked.

 

Norma looked at the older one with disappointment but she was more disappointed at Kim Jaejoong…he had just done enough to make her life hard. She straightened up clasping her hands.

 

“I didn’t even work there. I used to work at Sylvesters when he threatened my main chef to fire me. I even brought the documents of my work experience there.”    She stated calmly.

 

“And why would he threaten someone just to fire you?”    he obviously asked; Norma had no reason to not to say anything.

 

“Because I refused to give on his nephew’s custody and…”    she was, alas, interfered again.

 

“This…is completely absurd. If he had to take custody of his ‘nephew’ he ought to have gone to court. He’s a respectable man enough to inform us about you. I have no other obligation to look into your life to see whether this is true or not. This is personal and…I would like to believe someone as Kim Jaejoong rather than a woman.”   

 

That was it…

 

“…Thank you Mr. Joona. I’ll try somewhere else then.”   She stated.

 

“Oh you seriously cant dare to go to other hotels after what you have done! Fortuna wasn’t the only hotel which was informed. There were few others where I had to send this news personally.”     He tched in annoyance.

 

“What?”   

Kang Joona looked at her lazily.

 

“Mr. Kim has requested me on phone personally to inform other hotels within the same range as mine. To keep an unhygienic hindrance out such as you!”     he was serious as much as rude.

 

She opened to say something but was too embarrassed anyway…Jaejoong had done enough already. She nodded in irony and stood up bowing before him.

 

“Thank you for your time and…Thank ‘this genuine’ Kim Jaejoong.”   

 

She left his room; walking to the elevator and pressing the 1st floor button. She leaned on the elevator wall while it went down dizzily. She cannot bare to be humiliated in any other places again. Kang Joona was ‘kind’ enough to tell her that there were other hotels where she’ll not be able to try.

 

She walked out not so proud...but angry…embarrassed…

She had to find other ways to hide from the Kim.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong took Yoochun’s advice to his heart and already started working on it. He was right, why would he need law enforcement when he had his own influence? He could do so much more without hassle. Of course even if he had enforced a court order on Norma then she would have filed against him for breach of enjoyment of property…this was a serious breach of land law and also human rights. He might have had to compensate highly monetarily with his diminution of goodwill.

 

So yeah…Jiyoung was already ordered to contact most of the three or four star hotels that were in need of chefs/cooks and faxed them with his ‘request’ (rather order) that this candidate ‘Norma Jin’ was a  clumsy unhygienic talentless bloke who caused food poisoning to his friends and him. Of course this was exaggerating but it had to be done and since he was Kim Jaejoong, those low stars hotel had no other reason but not to believe him.

 

Also with ‘genuine’ intention he had also sent a picture to each possible hotel.

A smile escaped his lips as his attention was soon cut in by the sound of his telephone ringing. He put it onto speaker and responded.

 

“This is Kang Joona Mr. Kim. Jin Norma had come for job today and I spoke to her alone. Boy she spoke all sorts of blasphemy against you but she did say to thank you, in a sarcastic way.”     Jaejoong smiled more hearing Kang Joona. He was able to hit Norma at her ego.

 

“Of course she will say that now. I am thankful that you didn’t choose to believe her.”

 

“I must thank you Mr. Kim. I have also informed her that he will not be able to try anywhere else.”     Jaejoong’s eyebrow twitched a bit in annoyance. He wanted her to be humiliated elsewhere as well. Damn old man ruined that.

 

“Of course. I hope we can be in contact in the future.”    He hung up not feeling to talk to the man anymore.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------