chapter 24

Circle of trust

 

All the employees were leaving that night after their boss had left. While Jiyoung was packing his things to leave he heard a pair of heels coming his way. He looked up to see Yoori with…a smile on her face.

 

“Yoori? Is there anything you need?”   he asked genuinely rather than playfully.

 

“I need to talk to you if you have the time…about today; about what you saw.”     She pretended to blush…although it is perhaps very much impossible.

 

“Sure.”   He smiled and followed her out of the building separated from his other fellow-workers.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

His body was slammed onto the wall by a pair of strong yet soft arms. He never thought that she would be this violent. He was shocked and scared. When did she turn into a psycho?

 

“What did you see?”    she muttered.

 

“I swear Yoori, I wont tell anyone of this…”    he shook as he spoke.

 

“Answer my question.”    She clenched her teeth.

 

“I saw you kissing a girl…at the restaurant.”    He saw her expression change; didn’t get whether for good or bad.     “There’s nothing wrong being a lesbian.”   He nervously smiled.

 

“You just saw me kissing her? Nothing else?”    she asked carefully.

 

“Else? Did you guys do something afterwards?”    he could only imagine what she meant. She let her grip loose but smacked his head.   “Owh! What was that for?”

 

“Bastard…you heard nothing?”

 

“No, you guys were too far.”

She sighed relaxed hearing all.

 

“Uh…is there something wrong Yoori? Maybe I could help?”    he asked; she looked at him and saw a tint of…honesty in his eyes. She knew how hard he worked…maybe she could trust him.

 

“Jiyoung?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Will you tell me something?”

 

“Uh…sure.”

 

“Whatever boss is doing to that woman…do you in your heart support it?”

He was stunned to hear those words from a woman who was a robot in the office…he looked to his side and looked back at her.

 

He knew his answer.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Phew…flashbacks flashbacks…”    Jiyoung mumbled with a smile on his face…a lot happened that night. He actually spent half of that night talking to Yoori and her girlfriend on the video phone and he found out that the girl was Norma Jin’s sister. Well he had no other choice but…to help them. Of course there were choices….he could have refused. Of course refusal would have had him pay a lot still…he felt that he wanted to help them.

 

“Things I do for love…”    he whined but who did he love?

 

“Do what?”    a hand fell on his shoulder causing him to jump off his chair and stand straight up looking at Yoochun.    “What’s the matter?”

 

“Uh…nothing sir. Should I inform boss you’re here?”    he asked fearing whether he heard that.

 

“No need kiddo. Where’s our robot woman?”    he asked obviously referring to Yoori. She hadn’t shown up for work today which she had never done before.

 

“Uh…I was wondering too…maybe she has…girl problems?”    what problem could she have? How would he know what girl problems are as he heard from other women fellow workers?

 

“Oh…”    Yoochun gulped absolutely sure what he meant. Snapping out of it he added.    “Well what else did he ask of you?”

 

“Just next day schedule of Naomi Han. However I am not sure why.”    Normally he would know the reason. Nayobi, Yoori’s lover was pretty much pissed hearing such invasion of privacy.

 

“Don’t hurt your head thinking too much kid. I’ll go to your boss myself unannounced. Have fun.”    Yoochun left him last few pats on his shoulder and barged into Jaejoong’s office without permission. Jaejoong merely looked at him and sighed.

 

“Why did I bother keeping Jiyoung if he doesn’t notify me of the devil’s arrival?”

 

“Maybe he would be slaughtered by Seunghoon.”

 

“What do you want? Don’t you have any photo shoots or commercials or any dramas?”

 

“I cancelled the plan just to spend some lovely time with you. Got to do it with Duck yesterday.”

Jaejoong looked at him again.

 

“You met Junsu yesterday? What did he say?”    he asked quite anxiously.

 

“I’ll tell you on the way…”

 

“On the way to where?”

 

“The lovely mother.”

Jaejoong stood up fixing his coat.

 

“If I keep leaving office for this stuff then I might be questioned for incompetence. I don’t want those geezers to have the courage.”

 

“It’s your damn company and its not that you skip work. You finish all at night don’t you? Has anyone ever asked you before?”

 

“No but…”

 

“No buts. I should be worrying being asked of everything but I’m just too confident to be even questioned.”

 

“Alright. Let’s go then.”    Jaejoong walked to the door when Yoochun asked.

 

“Why isn’t your Robot woman here by the way?”

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“This is where she lives? How can she live out here?”    Mr. Brooke Han asked himself and walked ahead into the third class area. He looked around to see the amateur chalk graffiti on the wall and some dirty children playing around. Smokes of grilled potato flew around and noises of old women. He was too well dressed for this place. Some middle aged women actually winked at him. Well he was handsome…very handsome for his age.

 

He walked to the building and noticed a laundry just beside. Nayobi and Yoori had given him the address but were unable to give the exact flat number or anything or floors etc. He walked to the laundry man who may know of her and her son. He caught the man’s attention and asked him.

 

“Yeah I know her. But who might you be?”     his raspy voice asked in an accusing tone. Brooke had no idea what his problem was.

 

“I’m her father. I am here to see her but…”

 

“Her father? She never said anything about having a dad…last time her husband and now…”

 

“Husband?”    when did she have a husband?

 

“Well yeah, the son himself told me…what was his name again? Something with Kim…well she lives on the third floor on door B.”

 

“Thanks…”     he mumbled and entered the building. He climbed up all the way to the third floor and searched for the door B till he found it. He was quite out of breath. He pressed the bell just once and…a face which was so strikingly similar appeared in front of him.

 

Norma…she gaped at him because she recognized him. She saw his pictures and him at his house and at he party.

 

“Mr. Han?”    she mumbled.

 

“You know me?”   he asked.

Without saying anything, she stepped aside to let him enter. He entered the small house and noticed the young boy reading some comic. The boy looked at him and stood up bowing to him. Jihoon had no idea who this old man was. Mr. Han bowed back with a smile as Norma closed the door.

 

“Jihoon…this is Mr. Han…my…”

 

“Her Step-father in one way.”    He finished for her. Jihoon was absolutely shocked for the first time in his entire life. His face clearly showed it. nevertheless he overcame it and introduced himself.

 

“I’m her son, Jin Jihoon. Nice to meet you. I’ll just go to my room.”

 

“No, stay with us. I’m not here for very long…I want catch up to you both.”

 

“How about I bring something while you make yourself at home Mr. Han?”     Norma nervously added.

 

“Sure.”    He smiled.    “I’ll love to have food made by you.”

Somehow Norma smiled and rushed to the kitchen to make something quick although she had too many questions in her head.

Brooke on the other hand sat beside Jihoon and looked at the comic he was reading.

 

“I absolutely never understood how to read mangas or manwhas in that matter.”    He added.

 

“That’s why I still have it in my hand.”     Jihoon remarked somehow in a non offensive manner.

 

“Where’s your father?”    he asked.

 

“My father? He’s dead.”

 

“Dead? But the laundry man told me he came by few days ago.”

Jihoon could bit his tongue any moment. He was screwed and had no idea what to say now. But he could say one thing.

 

“Long story on that. You should ask ma about it.”

 

“About what?”    Norma entered the room with three glasses of iced tea and some handmade rolls.

 

“Nothing ma. I’ll go and study for admission.”     He stood up and bowed again.    “Please excuse me.”

Brooke nodded and Jihoon went to his room taking his mug and two rolls with him. Norma looked at Mr. Han nervously before holding up the glass.

 

“Please help yourself. Sorry this isn’t much.”

 

“Oh no worries. I don’t mind.”    He chomped on a roll and was immediately taken aback with the taste. It was no different from Naomi.

 

“So if you don’t mind me asking; how did you find this place?”

Brooke looked at Norma continuing to chew; gulping down he answered.

 

“Nayobi found out.”

 

“She did? But how?”

 

“No idea…I guess all thanks to the connections to her friend Yoori.”

 

“Yoori…Lee Yoori?”

 

“You know her?”    Brooke asked drinking the tea.

 

“I only heard about her from Nayobi when I bumped into her; I also know her cousin in law whose daughter was a schoolmate of Jihoon and her other cousin who was my boss for some weeks.”

 

“So you know all…she was the one who was able to find all about you.”    Brooke answered.

 

“But...why?”    she finally asked.

 

“You’re our daughter. Why wouldn’t we find you?”

 

“You know that she hates me…”

 

“I know; in fact she had one of her episodes because of it and doctor had to say that she shouldn’t see you again. But we can keep in contact right? I may not be your blood father but…you’re her first child and I would very much like you consider you as my own.”

 

“That’s really kind of you but my mo…”    she refrained from saying that.    “She isn’t the only reason…”

 

“I know; that’s why I’m here. You have to tell me everything.”

 

“How did you even guess?”

 

“Yoori works at his office; she knows what he does.”

 

“Yet she is risking it?”

 

“Love…what can you say?”    Brooke smiled…so they both knew…she huffed in trying to catch her breath before telling everything.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Even though she was told not to be out of bed, she was still walking around the house doing stuff. Nayobi was home al day taking care of her when Naomi herself shooed her out telling her to have fun with her lover while she could take care of herself. Of course she told her father, who pretty much was convinced that she was fine. Where would Nayobi go but to Yoori who had skipped her day today at the office? Yoori told Nayobi that she had some work today which would have to be done by today but she informed Nayobi that both Kim Jaejoong and Park Yoochun had gone out.

 

Nayobi feared that it might be something about Norma, so she also told her dad who was not at her place. If Kim Jaejoong appears there, Brooke would punch the dude himself if necessary. But all she could do now is contact all the friends her sister once had. Therefore Nayobi was at the orphanage.

 

She stood there thinking how she would even talk to them and explain everything. Taking a breath she rang the door bell. An old woman opened the door and she could see few kids with few adults inside and two of them were…the famous heir of Son and the woman Narsha.

 

“How may I help you?”    the old woman asked.

 

“Is this the place…where Norma Jin grew up?”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“So that’s how it has been…so much had happened…that Junsu boy must really appreciate you; I feel so useless not being able to be there.”

 

“That’s fine Mr. Han…could you tell me everything about her? As in how and when it happened? And what happened afterwards?”    Norma asked with curiousity but it was a tough task for Brooke because he would have to tell everything he had to see Naomi go through

 

“It’s…kind of…hard remembering all…it was…awful. It almost killed her; but how come you’re never really mad at her?”    Brooke asked.

 

“I don’t know.”    She answered.   “It’s not that I am no mad; I am. I don’t appreciate her calling me a rat…but…it’s not that it’s her fault or that I sympathize with her. It’s just that…I have no decent words to justify my reasons. If I try to, I’ll end up yelling at her myself. I am not the type to forgive people or accept people humbly.”

Brooke smiled…such honest words; no drama lines. She was like her mother; practical and realist.

 

“I’ll tell you.”

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Naomi rushed to the door after hearing the bell. She was in a good mood and was watching some old music videos. As soon as she opened the door, her face showed a clear line of shock. Not just Kim Jaejoong was here, but Park Yoochun too…at her door; bowing to her.

 

“May we come in?”    Kim Jaejoong politely asked.

 

“Please…come in.”    she quickly let them inside and closed the door.     “How did you find my address?”    she further asked.

  

“Miss Jin gave it to us after we asked.”    Yoochun this time asked.    “I am also a friend of hers.”

Naomi was shocked to see such connections. However if Norma was trying to use her connections to sneak into her life, she was mistaken. Naomi wouldn’t fall for that.

 

“That is nice. What can I do for you?”    she asked straight forward without asking what they would like to have.

 

“Actually…I have come to ask a favour of you.”    Jaejoong smiled.     “You see, it’s about my nephew who is currently under her care…”

Naomi wasn’t expecting that…

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“The police had found her in that alley during dawn…most of her clothes were torn and…”     the female police lowered her head nervously in front of three people; two of them were the patient’s parents and other was her best friend.

None of them asked any further because they knew what she meant. Their daughter had been and left for dead. The mother ended up crying in the father’s arms while Brooke stood away giving them space. His face wasn’t showing anything but his heart burned like hell.

 

The woman police bowed and left but Brooke followed her and called her far away from the parents.

 

“How may I help you?”

 

“Has he been caught? The criminal?”

 

“No, we’re still investigating. Until she wakes up, we cant say anything. She has to give her statement.”

The woman bowed again and left leaving Brooke…she was in a bad shape physically. Her lower half could be paralyzed if things get worse…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The nurses were having a hard time putting her down. She was pushing and struggling with them…she wanted to get out and kill herself. She wasn’t in her right mind. Her screams were piercing everyone in that room and fortunately she had been moved to a more isolated place. However they couldn’t inject anesthetic again due to risks and they couldn’t get in touch of her parents who were busy somehow. However they were able to contact the third emergency contact…Brooke. Her parents had trusted Brooke enough to list him in the emergency contacts.

 

He rushed in there and held her fully pressing her metabolism trying to calm her down.

 

“Please leave us…I can handle her! Please!”

 

“Are you sure?”    they asked; he nodded. They rushed out leaving them alone yet filled with noise.

 

“Naomi! Calm down! It’s me Brooke! Naomi!”    he yelled out trying to get his voice in her ears.     “I’m here for you! I’ll be here for you! Jus calm down! He’s been caught Naomi! He’s been caught! You need not fear anymore!”    his voice roared out finally putting a stop to her struggling…she shook vigorously though.

 

“Naomi…they just need…to verify the face…”    he mumbled. Her eyes narrowed pouring out all the tears; she ended up sobbing on his chest.

 

Lies…all he told her were lies…just to calm her down that time…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“YOU LIED TO ME!”    she was screaming at the poor boy who only tolerated her tantrums…she was discharged about a week ago and had found out the truth that he hadn’t been caught. She threw her once heavy toys at him and he kept dodging them. It was supposed to be funny but this wasn’t. she was scared for her life. He didn’t kill her for a reason. He might come again. Her parents were outside the room listening to all of it.

 

“I’m sorry…”    he tried to get close to her.

 

“How could you lie to me?!”

 

“I had to calm you down!”

 

“How could I calm down knowing he’s out there lurking for me?!”

 

“No one knows Naomi.”    He tried to be softer.   “We’re here for you; all of us. You wont be alone…you don’t need to be afraid of him. please…your health will only get worse. Naomi…calm down.”     His voice was so soothing that she couldn’t yell at him any longer. She about to fall on her knees when Brooke held her. She lowered her head crying silently.

 

“I’m so scared Brooke…help me.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“NAOMI STOP IT! STOP IT! GET OUT OF THERE!”    her father yelled while her mother was banging on the door. Naomi was pouring all the kerosene in her room; when she was done, she took up the lighter and was trying to light it.

 

“NAOMI!”    her mother screamed and the fire ignited the entire room in a second. The fire was raging so much that even Naomi got scared and rushed to the corner however…she still refused to open the door. She would die and kill the thing with her. Her skirt caught fire and in impulse she was trying to put it out. Then she realized…she wanted to die.

 

“NAOMI!”   his voice pulled her back…Brooke. He smashed down the door and went in the room getting rashes from the fire. He grabbed her hand and ran out pulling her; she couldn’t struggle much in that situation. He ran out with her to their garden pond and jumped inside putting out the fire on her skirt and firemen rushed inside to put it all out.

 

Coming out of the water; she saw her parents and Brooke holding her all drenched.

 

“What were you thinking?! Are you crazy?!”

She had nothing to say…what would she say?

 

“I’m pregnant…”    she sobbed out…shocking Brooke.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“She cant abort it…it’s too dangerous for her body. Aborting it would risk her life too. She’s already three weeks. She would have to bear it.”    her father explained to both her mother and Brooke who sat there silently. Naomi was sleeping peacefully…after a long time…she still didn’t know that she couldn’t abort it.

 

“What do we do now? She wouldn’t take it too well…and…the society would…”     yes the society would pressure her greatly.

 

“We wont be able to wed her off to reduce the pressure…and who would take her?”

 

“Who wouldn’t?”    Brooke’s voice interrupted her.

 

“What?”    her mother was shocked to hear that.

 

“I said who wouldn’t take her. She’s smart and kind; also brilliant. Who wouldn’t take her?”

 

“You’re saying that because you’re her best friend…”    her father explained.

 

“No…”    Brooke gulped.    “That’s not the only reason.”

 

“What other reason there may be? Don’t tell me…”    her father could guess…    “Are you in love with her?”

Brooke didn’t answer that…he looked down trying to figure out a way. Marriage wasn’t the only solution to her life; it would add more pressure.

 

“If you are we could…”

 

“No.”    Brooke cut her father off.     “I have something better.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Society was imposing so many duties on her…marriage. However Brooke was always around her answering for her to those women who actually enjoyed such misery of hers. She was doing well in her job at the club and she had been volunteering in a lot of social activities. Of course there were people of her age trying to bring her down but Brooke was always with her. He was everywhere.

She had a job; she continued studies and her health. Being pregnant wasn’t easy. Her temper had become tipsy these days; she would try to blow people off but Brooke had to handle.  

 

At a point people got suspicious whether she had anything going on with Brooke and rumors started spreading around. She couldn’t handle it anymore…she had it.

 

“YOU NOSEY ES HAVE NOTHING TO DO BESIDES INTERFERRING IN MY LIFE! YOU GUYS ARE JEALOUS OF THE FACT THAT I’M NOT HOME WIPING MY NOSE IN DESPAIR AND THAT I HAVE SOMEONE AS NICE AS BROOKE! I am lucky…to have him.”

He was shocked to hear that outburst yet…the truth from her. He smiled and took her out of there saying nothing but she kept apologizing for burdening him.

 

“I’m your best bud aren’t I?”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She couldn’t take the pain anymore; the pain on her back was killing her…her mother was massaging her back.

 

“You are near to your due…it’s supposed to hurt.”

 

“I know…still I can’t stand this. This is why I’m always so cranky. I wonder how Brooke puts up with this.”

 

“I do too; so does your father.”    Her mother pointed out.

 

“You are my parents…he’s just…a friend even though my best friend. I don’t know why he is so determined to help me up to my feet. He says marriage isn’t the solution to a woman in every situation…strange coming from a man.”

 

“That boy…so madly in love with you that he wont pressure you with marriage.”

 

“What?”    Naomi exclaimed at her.     “Brooke is in love with me? Don’t joke with me.”    She tried to laugh it off.

 

“Naomi.”    Her mother called her.

 

“Yes…”

 

“You wont find anyone else like him.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Brooke it isn’t true is it?”    she actually ended up asking him. He didn’t answer.      “Brooke?”

 

“What do you want me to say?”

 

“The truth.”

 

“You wont believe it for the genuine reasons so I shouldn’t tell you.”

 

“Brooke.”    She was getting impatient.

 

“Yes…I do. I cant help it but I do. You cant change my mind. However that doesn’t mean I am helping to gain your love or something. I’m helping you because I want to.”   He muttered not really wanting to have this talk.

 

“What if I say I do too?”

Brooke looked at her confusingly but then he realized it.

 

“You don’t have to do that just because of me.”

 

“What if I actually feel the same? Will you accept me?”    she asked. He looked down and nodded.     “Even with this baby?”

 

“Yes.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time flied…Brooke was happy that she had accepted him, he wanted to be there during her delivery and he was. He was awed by the beauty of the baby. Naomi had already passed out and he was told to go home by Naomi’s parents.

 

However things didn’t go well for Naomi. When she saw the baby, snake like memory crawled up on her body. The baby was beautiful but she hated its sight for some reason.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“You did what?!”   he burst out hearing that from Naomi….    “You…gave her up?! Why?! I told you I would accept the baby?! Why Naomi?!”    he held her shoulders and shook her. Her parents were standing aside. They were heartbroken.

 

“Where did you leave her?! Tell me now!”

 

“No…”    straight answer.

 

“Why?”    he brokenly asked.

Tears formed in her eyes as she fell on the couch…

 

“I cant stand that child…”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Yet…I couldn’t stay mad at her…I knew blackmailing her to get you back to marry me wouldn’t work because I knew how determined she was. But we both loved each other so…we did get married of course…we had out rough days and overcame it. I was tough for us Norma…really.”

 

“Mr. Han…you are a real man and the second one I have met.”   Norma smiled.     “And I won’t bother her anymore. Since she hates me that much, I cant stand being humiliated so many times.”

_______________________________________________________________________________________________