chapter 11

Circle of trust

 

Norma leaned on her car her hands running through her hair. She sighed worrying about what to tell Jihoon. He didn’t want him to concern of these things besides his studies; also that his final exams were coming up. She needed him to pass for grade three. She entered her car anyway and headed for the school as it was already recess.

-------------------------------------------------

After stepping out of the car she waited for Jihoon to come out walking along with Jumi however she saw him running to her alone in frustration. She walked to him and held him questioningly. His face showed utter worry.

 

“Whats the matter?”   she asked.

 

“I…I was just trying not to get any attention from the teachers. In case they ask about him…”   Jihoon answered dizzily.

 

“You know you attract more attention like this? Where is Jumi?”     she asked lightly smiling.

 

“I didn’t see her. In fact I’ve been avoiding her…”

 

“Why? She is a nice girl.”

 

“For… no reason. Anyways, lets go.”

 

“Yeah…lets go.”  

Norma took the boy to the car; stepping in and driving off. She had to tell him about this…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jihoon put his bag on the bed while Norma hung her scarf. Jihoon slumped down on the bed while she sat beside him.

 

“Do you want to eat something?”    she asked

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Alright I’ll order now.”

Jihoon merely nodded while she ordered on the phone. She started his hair later resting herself on the bed.

 

“You seem in a daze ma. What happened today?”    Jihoon asked.

 

“I saw my sister today; we spoke for a bit. She said I look like our mother”

 

“And you said?”

 

“I said there are atleast 7 similar looking people on earth.”

 

“As expected from you…”   Jihoon muttered causing Norma to chuckle.    “What about your job?”    he asked additionally.

 

“Job…I have to look in other places. I cant look for any jobs in any hotels from now on.”    She mumbled.

 

“Why not?”   Jihoon sat up looking at his mother.

 

“Kim Jaejoong…he has warned all other hotels not to take me.”    She sighed.

Jihoon frowned. Surely he hadn’t expected this from his uncle.

 

“I just have to look somewhere lower where he wont find me.”    Norma added.

 

“Do you…want me to…go..”

 

“Of course not. I want you with me.”     Norma snapped lightly.

 

“Just suggesting…”

 

“Well don’t.”    Norma looked at him     “We’ll overcome this. We have to prepare for your grade three as well.”

 

“I forgot about that…”    Jihoon lied down again while the bell rang. Food had arrived.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man was thrashed on the ground by two men while Junsu cuffed that bastard. The defendant had burgled a house when a girl saw it and informed. Junsu, Rain and Ae quickly arrived at the scene and beat the little punk up. Of course this was the first reported crime after three long days. It wasn’t that crime had reduced rather people were reluctant to report about it.

 

“Next time you enter someone’s house we’ll make sure to chop those hands off.”   Rain muttered while pulling the burgler into the jeep. Junsu stood there not really touched by the threat Rain had given.

 

“That was lame hyung.”    Ae spoke for Junsu.

 

“Whatever.”    Rain gave a damn to Ae’s comment; the other two hopped on the van and rode off.

 

Along the way a certain building caught his eyes as he remembered to do something. Junsu patted on Rain’s shoulder catching his attention.

 

“Rain, stop here will you? I have something to attend to.”

 

“here? Alright.”     Rain stopped the jeep; Junsu hopped down and went to the building while the jeep left. He entered Sylvesters hotel and went to the receptionist.

 

“Hi, I’m looking for a friend of mine who works here.”

 

“An employee of ours? Which department is he from?”    the receptionist asked.

 

“It’s a ‘she’ and I’m not sure which department she’s from. But her name is Jin Norma.”     He stated.

 

“You have to wait a bit while I check. What is your name by the way?” 

 

“Kim Junsu and I’m her friend.”

The receptionist nodded and checked the computer. It took her few minutes; eventually she found out.

 

“Jin Norma is from the kitchen Department however she doesnot work here anymore. She left about two days ago.”

 

“What?”     he huffed. It was his one chance to see her now gone.    “Do you have any other contacts of hers?”

 

“Well I have her cell number but no address.”

She wrote the cell number on a paper and handed it to him. He thanked her and stepped out quite happy. But with what excuse should he call her?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Jihoon I’m going out. Rest, eat and study while I come back though I might be late.”

 

“Where are you going again ma? You just came back.”    Jihoon asked.

 

“I cant waste any time. I have to find a job without your uncle’s notice.”    She stated taking her staff and keys.

Jihoon nodded. Norma smiled assuring before leaving. Jihoon suddenly jumped off the bed seeing his ma leaving and went to his bags where his clothes were kept. He opened the bag and took out the cup his uncle had given and the only thing he liked.

 

He stared at it for quite a few seconds but fuming up insides. He raised it to smash the thing but his hands started shaking….he stopped. For some reason he couldn’t break the thing.

 

“Its just a mug! Anyone can buy them!”     he loudly said. He put down the mug on the floor looking at it with so much confusion.         

He shook his head; he put the mug in the bag and went to his bed taking his school bag. He had exams coming up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma had at least another half a month left till she had to give the car back to the owner. Till then she had to find a job or else she would have to walk long distances. She knew that the orphanages must have been trying to contact her but she couldn’t let them know.

Since she had her options closed for hotels and restaurants she had to go to small cafes with small payments. The advertisements wouldn’t be given in newspapers since they were very expensive so she had to physically check every cafes around.

 

Up to now she checked three of them all of which didn’t need any cook. Her car fuel was at its last stage so she would have to get back before it finished as petrol maintenance was also expensive. According to her calculation she would need at least two jobs to proportionate her expenses. The rent would be covered but school fees may not be. As for other expenses they would definitely not be covered at all.

 

Right now she was very tired and honestly driving was just as much as tiring as walking. Also one could get car sick. She was feeling sich in fact; therefore she stopped the car aside and stepped out for fresh air. In her hand she had her purse which contained nothing but her pens and a pad. She had her cell in her pocket which vibrated. She took it out and looked at the unknown number. She cant receive if it was the orphanage or her friends otherwise she would have to answer them and she couldn’t risk their positions. But if it was either of her friends they would send a message first stating to receive as this was an unknown number and not their cell number therefore she received it.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Miss Jin? Its Jumi’s mother.”

 

“Mrs Lee?”     Norma asked rather bewildered.

 

“If you have time could we meet at my place?”     Mrs Lee asked on the other line.    “If you have any other business I could…”

 

“Its fine…in fact…I was…”    she sighed. She didn’t have any strength for pretentious at all.    “Looking for a job.”

 

“This is actually…urgent. I would…appreciate it if you’d meet me.”

Norma didn’t like the feeling yet couldn’t avoid it.

 

“Of course Mrs. Lee. I’ll be there.”

 

After disconnecting she sighed closing her eyes. Humiliation was quite hard to bear and she had to most of her life-from Jessica and now Kim Jaejoong. She looked at her cell and blocked the list of her friends’ numbers hoping to not contact her ever again. This seemed the only way to avoid them being in trouble for her.

The only thing missing was now tears in her life. Whatever happened she could never cry except when Jessica died. Since then she had no reason to cry for. However not being able to cry often caused her a headache. This was quite abnormal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sun was setting quickly but yet the car shined from its last rays. Yoochun stepped out not handing the keys to the chauffer to park it. He preferred parking himself. He stepped into the boring business party where he would have to face so many businessmen and celebrities and no media. It was private and not all businessmen or celebrities could come. As for Kim Jaejoong, he wasn’t affiliated with the media therefore not in touch with these sort of balls.

Yoochun had come to this sort of occasion many times and not for once he enjoyed it and this time it was the same in fact worse. Because Son Ga-in was there now chatting with other beautiful ladies. As her attire she wore her office suit with of course in a more fashionable manner and her hair had been dyed blond.

 

He had never seen her here before; must be her first time invited and she’s bloating about it. He smirked in a sense of ‘I’ve been here many times before and you werent’.

 

He nevertheless decided to jump into their gossip since he was known as a ladies man and a guy’s man not in a homo sense though.

 

“Miss Son.”    He caught her attention with a smile from other ladies who looked at Yoochun with admiration along with lust. Yeah some women were a bit frisky too. Although there were some like Ga-in herself who disliked Yoochun; those moved away immediately.

 

“Mr. Park.”    She firmly stated untouched by his smile.

 

“Mind if I borrow Miss Son from you ladies?”    he politely asked and the others couldn’t refuse. It was a party and they had to maintain their image.

Ga-in and Yoochun walked to a more quiet side.

 

“Nice seeing you here Miss Son. In fact this is my first time seeing you here.”    Yoochun stated.

 

“Well it is my first time coming here. Couldn’t refuse the invitation this time.”    She responded monotone. The ‘this time’ seemed to not reach his ears.

 

“Who are you here with?”   he asked assuming she wouldn’t be alone.

 

“A friend of mine who is enjoying himself.”     The ‘him’ however caught his ears. It was normal to assume that there is something between a guy and a girl and her friend was a guy.

 

“Hmm…I was thinking to sort out our differences after the incident. I would very much like to get to know you Miss Ga-in.”     Ga-in suddenly twitched with the change of addressing. Miss Son to Miss Ga-in then he will call her by Ga-in only. What a manner less twit!

Still she had a reputation to handle; her parents expect a lot from her.

 

“You already know who I am Mr. Park; yet as you are insisting on getting to know each other in a friendly manner I would see why not.”   Though her voice sounded with no interest.

 

“Then lets introduce ourselves again. Hi I’m Park Yoochun.”     He held out his hand.

 

“Son Ga-in; nice meeting you.”    She took his hand and shook it. Yoochun’s mind smiled as he thought his plan to break Ga-in had initiated.

 

Meanwhile Ga-in was worried about Norma. She had been trying to contact her on the telephone but not reaching her.  She thought of meeting granny few times but couldn’t find the time to. She thought of trying her cell this time later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma was sitting in front of Mrs. Lee sipping onto her tea now and then. She was waiting Mrs. Lee to say anything urgent. Mrs. Lee was in deep thoughts perhaps trying to sort out her words before saying. In the end she cleared and said.

“I heard about your condition from Jumi today. She was really worried about Jihoon and you.”    She said. Norma looked at her unaware what she was talking about.

 

“That’s very sweet of her but…what situation are you talking about?”     Norma asked.

 

“What Kim Jaejoong has been doing these days; I know he forced evasion without any lawful excuse and caused you to lose your job.”

 

“How did Jumi know all of these?”    Norma asked bewildered of her much knowledge.

 

“Jumi tells me her days at school. She told me the frequent visits of Kim Jaejoong also…Jihoon told her today…some of it.”     This recalled the time when Jihoon gave Norma no reason to avoid Jumi. He must have told her out of frustration but not telling Norma about it.

 

“I also know more because my cousin works as a receptionist at Kim corp. she tells me how Kim Jaejoong is so I wouldn’t be shocked if he works unlawfully. Yuri says he’s like that.”

 

“Yuri?”

 

“My cousin.”    Norma nodded when Mrs. Lee answered.      “Have you been able to find any jobs at any other hotel?”    she additionally asked. Norma smiled bitterly; as if he would let her.

 

“Well turns out Kim Jaejoong has contacted other range of hotels to prevent me from applying. His reason to them was that I was an unhygienic talentless bloke who used to work at Kim corp.”     Norma stated trying not to sound too bitter. But Mrs. Lee was astonished to hear that.       “So I’m looking into smaller cafes.”

 

Mrs Lee worryingly looked at her. Norma wanted to know why Mrs. Lee would be interested in her story but didn’t bother asking.

 

“Where are you living now?”

 

“Somewhere far.”

 

“And jobs?”

 

“Still looking.”

 

“So why wouldn’t you give him up?”    Mrs Lee at last asked.

Norma frowned at her though unnoticeable. How many times should she answer the same question?

 

“Because I don’t want to.”

 

Mrs. Lee went to her thoughts again. Norma thought she would give further lectures about Jihoon’s needs.

 

“My…brother in law just opened a café around the police station and its quite popular but…they’re lacking few employees…I was…hoping to suggest you.”     Mrs. Lee mumbled glancing a Norma. Seeing her poker face Mrs. Lee panicked.     “But its not that bad although the payment isn’t as high as any 3 star hotel but….”

 

“Mrs Lee are you…concerned about us?”    Norma cautiously asked.

 

“Not you! Jihoon! No my Jumi! My Jumi is very sad about Jihoon since she likes…”    Mrs Lee cleared again. Seemed like she almost slipped something.    “Jihoon is a bright boy. I wouldn’t want him to waste away seeing there is a scope so why not help you. Its nothing of that humble sort.”

 

“Thank you; I mean really…thank you I..I I truly appreciate it.”    Norma couldn’t show any sort of happy expression on her face rather confused.

 

“So you’ll be there at 10 in the morning. My brother in law will make sure you know everything. Of course he knows you’re comi…”    she shut up completely…she almost spilled everything; actually everything. Mrs. Lee giggled at her own stupidity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma went back to the hotel and saw Jihoon sleeping with his books open. Of course he had so many pressures that he didn’t want an extra baggage his mother worrying. She’ll have to clean the apartment tomorrow after work and move over her things from the house before. Of course the furniture didn’t belong to her as they were attached but few other things did belong to her like Jihoon’s things, pots and pans and curtains. She’ll be taking those back and the landlady must have packed them already but now she had to call her and let her know of it.

 

Right now she had to get all of those bugs of worry out of his head. Such a young man should not trouble himself with pesky little issues such as these. Even if these were from his blood uncle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was last hour at the office when Jiyoung aka the blond boy fixed his black hat as he was managing the documents. Even though it was lame of a fashion and this was an office, somehow Kim Jaejoong or any other senior of his never really objected to it otherwise he wouldn’t be able to wear his red clown like shirt instead of white. He slumped the stack of papers on the desk belonging to Lee Yuri who was just typing on without noticing the doll man.

 

“Hey since the office will close in any minute and if you don’t have any other schedules, wanna have coffee with me later?”     he asked smacking the smile on his face.

Yuri looked at the boy’s face so gauntly as if she didn’t hear anything; then went on typing again causing Jiyoung to sigh. He took up his papers and went onto his boss’s office. He had knock three times before permitted.

 

“Jiyoung any news?”    Jaejoong happily asked resulting Jiyoung to be stunned for a moment.

 

“Uh..uh uh well I haven’t received any other news from any other hotels which will definitely mean that…”

 

“Yes, yes she hasn’t gone to any other hotels.”     Jaejoong finished it for him.    “Anything new?”

 

“Well…”    Jiyoung searched into the stacks almost falling off but found a paper but ultimately all the documents fell from his hands beside the one he just took out. Jiyoung stood there expecting scolding instead his boss only sighed.       “Jihoon’s fee date is coming soon. Which means if she doesn’t find a job within that time she wont be able to pay but it will take more than that to get him out of school. It must be atleast 3 months due. She had been quite diligent in paying where she is obliged first. She already paid this month so she wouldn’t be so worried in case of now. As of her rented car it’s the same; her rent had also been paid this.”

 

Jiyoung silently picked up the papers and left like a zombie. He had embarrassed himself quite a lot.

Jaejoong tapped on the table impatiently thinking the missing part. No one has ever shown this sort of resistance towards him; he didn’t need to do much to get his biddings done. He was never afraid of media either since he had no scandalous reputation besides being cold hearted and a celibate.

 

“What does it take to break a woman? Money? Family? Men? You’re one difficult woman to figure….”    He mumbled grimly but then his father’s once words came to his mind which back then he didn’t used to believe.

 

Everything has their limits; even Norma does.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jaejoong was able to sleep peacefully last night knowing that someone else was miserable. That’s what people should get if they dare to mess with him. His office hour starts at 10 and he always wakes up an hour before to see his mother off. But this time he wanted to do more besides just kissing his mother off.

    His mother was an early person. She would exercise around the house, then water the plants despite having gardeners and would feed the rabbits (oh yes she had rabbits) then read for a long time till her eyes would hurt then get down to breakfast with her son. Now that her son managed the company she relieved herself from even visiting the company.

Jaejoong woke at 7; freshened up quickly and ran downstairs quickly. He saw the maids were getting ready to cook.

 

“Hold on.”    The maids looked at him while stood near the kitchen. The maids have rarely seen him in sweatshirts and trousers. Good thing none of the maids were young otherwise drooling would be an everyday routine.

 

“I’ll be cooking for her and there is no need to tell her until I say so. Has she woken up yet?”

 

“Uh no sir. Might we be of any help?”    the oldest of them asked.

 

“Hmm just make sure I get everything at hand. Hand me carrots, pear, watermelon.”

The maid handed them to him and chopped them very quickly and evenly diced.

 

“Hand me the whipped crème and give me three eggs.”

He shook the crème can before spraying it over the fruits and whipped the eggs.

He rubbed his hands before heating the oil on the pan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

His mother woke up to smell sweetness in air.

 

“Must be something of dessert like.”    She mumbled smilingly and got off the bed. After cleaning up she went to the dining room to see Jaejoong ready for work and waiting for breakfast. He had a genuine smile on his face unlike any other days. Of course in any other days he would have a smile but his mother could see the tiredness in it but now he seemed to have slept well.

 

She sat beside him earning a kiss on her cheek with a morning greeting. They quietly ate until his mother remembered something to say.

 

“Junsu’s father called last night.”   

Jaejoong’s hand stopped from feeding himself and he looked at her.

 

“Why?”   he muttered.

 

“He hasn’t seen you for very long. He wanted to see you so he was asking when you’re free so he could visit the office taking an appointment.”

 

“He hasn’t seen Junsu himself for a long time.”     He went back to eating.

 

“Well still make an appointment since he’s insisting so much. He knows you cant visit him.”

 

“Why would he need any appointment? In fact why not come here? The house belongs to him so does the office. Why must he make it seem that its ours? He’s the legitimate first…”

 

“You know very well Jaejoong how your uncle is like. Just talk to him for…closure.”

 

“Alright. I’ll visit him but don’t tell him.”    Jaejoong stated firmly; when his mother nodded positively Jaejoong turned positive too.

 

“Mmm…this is way too delicious…did you cook this Jae?”    his mother suddenly asked.

 

“What? How did you know that?”      Jaejoong laughingly asked caught by his mother.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma dropped Jihoon at his school without saying anything but he was happy enough that she got a job and it was all thanks to Jihoon. However if she told him now he may get mad at Jumi for pitying him. He was a boy with pride.

She had too much work today after this.

 

When she arrived at the location she noticed the police station. She had remembered coming here for her mother’s information.

This area would be safe since police were here; also police officers are food mongers so definitely a lot of sale will take place.

 

She parked and stepped out heaving in. god isn’t always unfair.