Chapter 12- Trying to Figure out the Unsolved Puzzle

Love Never Goes, It changes From Time To Time

Chapter 12

Same day
Train first, then to the Yan Financial Empire Building
10:21 A.M

(From the Sliver-Chrome Dragon Financials, the company was changed to Yan Financial Empire because Xu Qi already bought it and yeah...........)

Normal POV

The moment the train door opened, Ji Lin immediately rushed out, not minding if she was bumping other people at that time. She’s going to be late you know. She just kept on saying sorry every step that she takes just in case she hits or bumps someone.

“Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!” See?

Ji Lin ran as fast as she could, bringing a lots of papers in her arms. She dodged and dodged every blockage that she encounters. Then finally! The door of Yan Financial Empire already appeared in front of her! She quickly opened the door and rushed inside. She even bumped the girl who threatened her before. (remember? The old secretary whom Ji Lin encountered inside Xu Qi’s office? The one who insulted her being the daughter of the bankrupted company? The one who told her that she should be with Xu Qi during a meeting? Not the old woman that she bumped in the hallway.) But..........blab! She didn’t even look at her and just said sorry while still running. Yeah Ji Lin was that desperate to arrive at least a little bit nearer to her official time, which was 10:00 A.M. At least she would arrive at 10:25 not 10:30 or something.

Because she was that desperate, she accidentally bumped into somebody. Dun Dun Dun Dun who could this be? *oh no.* Ji Lin fell on the floor. She immediately picked up all the papers, not minding the pain that she felt.

“Sorry!” Yeah..........it was the only word that Ji Lin managed to say. She continued to pile the papers............. again.... and she felt that the other person was also helping her. When the paper piling was over, she placed them all in her arms. She was about to stand when a hand offered to help her stand up. Ji Lin grabbed the hand. When she was already on her feet, she looked up to the person to thank her personally but she was shocked when it was a ‘he’ and not a ‘she’. It was a tall guy in a black suit. He got those brown chinky eyes, cool black hair, fair complexion, and a mesmerizing stare. Yeah such a perfect guy. His taste and style was almost like Xu Qi. But if you ask me, this epic author, I would like Xu Qi better than that random guy. Yeah.......but you don’t need my opinion so............forget about my epic lame side. I’m just a sick student of Asia who writes epic stories so..................Anyways, to continue what happened, Ji Lin was mesmerized by that random guy and stared at him for a moment. For seconds, then for a minute. She snapped out when the guy asked her something.
“I’m sorry. Were you hurt?” The guy politely asked as he tapped Ji Lin’s shoulder.

“Uhmm......yeah I’m alright.......I’m really okay.....Okay la! Okay la! Okay la!” Ji Lin stuttered as she gestured an okay sign with her fingers. The guy tittered and started to say some words again.

“You’re funny. Anyways, my name is Feng Hu. Tse Feng Hu, but you can call me Alexander if you want to. What’s your name by the way?” Feng Hu asked as he patted Ji Lin’s head with a cold look on his face.

“Uhmm.......My name is Wu Ji Lin. I work as Xu Qi’s secretary in here.” Ji Lin answered while looking down.

“You don’t have to be so shy. Anyways, I heard that Andrew’s previous secretary got fired because his secretary fell in love with him. Aren’t you scared that you might fall in love with him and get fired too?” Feng Hu asked Ji Lin in a calm expressionless manner.

“Andrew? Who’s Andrew?” Ji Lin replied in a very confused face.

“Ah, yeah. His english name is Andrew.” Feng Hu answered with as-amatter-of-fact tone of voice.

“oh.....” I never knew that. Ji Lin thought.

“Oh well, good luck. Hope your attitudes will meet and have a harmonious boss-secretary relationship.

Alexander bid Ji Lin goodbye. Ji Lin waved goodbye and stood like a statue, devouring every single second. They didn’t even know that a pair of lonely and longing eyes were looking at them from a distance. Blab!  Ji Lin’s moment was so perfect when................all of a sudden....... someone shouted in her ear.

“Hey! Stop flirting will you! The Young President has arrived! Give your respect and prepare for the line up!” The secretary whom Ji Lin bumped a while ago yelled at her. Ji Lin snapped out to reality and shrugged her shoulders as she lined with the other staffs. Xu Qi then came out from his car and proceeded inside. And one more thing. His facial expression is so plain. He doesn’t look so happy nor angry. He just looks scary that’s all. As he walked in, everybody bowed. He continued to walk but eventually stopped when he reached Ji Lin’s position. Ji Lin froze but she continued to bow her head down. Everybody stared at Xu Qi and Ji Lin but they are still doing the bow.

Ji Lin’s POV

What’s wrong with this guy?! Why is he standing in front of me? And why so long?! Perhaps he can’t feel how my back hurts and how my arms feel numb! What is he waiting for?! Lunch?! Gosh it really hurts now.

Normal POV

“Why are you bowing like that? Did I tell you to do that?” Xu Qi asked Ji Lin in a like-a-boss tone of voice.

“uh....eh...” Ji Lin stuttered and she wondered why she is doing that.

“Speak!” Xu Qi scowled. Ji Lin immediately straightened herself  and faced Xu Qi.

“It’s because..........everybody was doing it so I thought I should do it and also........she (points at the secretary that yelled at Ji Lin a while ago.) instructed me to do it.” Ji Lin explained while slightly bowing her head. Xu Qi lightly smiled and lifted Ji Lin’s head using his right hand. Xu Qi stared at her eye to eye that made Ji Lin startled and shocked but she remained frozen. Xu Qi brushed Ji Lin’s hair and then pinched her cheek then said:

“Don’t do it anymore. It feels so awkward when your past girlfriend does that.” Xu Qi said it with a smile on his face and also loud enough for some of the staffs to hear. He placed his hand in his pocket and stared at Ji Lin who was still frozen and blushing. The other staffs were already staring at her with shocked eyes. Ji Lin looked at the staffs and started to back off then smile nervously.

“H-H-hey what you heard was just a fraud you know......hehe uhmm.....the young president was just joking......he has a nice sense of humor right?” Ji Lin tried to explain, but the glares were too penetrating so yeah.....she didn’t manage to deceive them especially when Xu Qi gave out another statement.

“Aw~ come on you don’t have to deny it...........Let’s go, you still have a lot of things to do for me.” Xu Qi said as he placed his arm in Ji Lin’s shoulder and then walked away. Ji Lin has no other choice but to follow Xu Qi’s actions. Even though she was blushing really bad, she still tried to plaster a plain face acting like she felt nothing but still, it was very obvious that she is blushing.

“Huh! That lame secretary seduced the young president! She must have drugged him!” A staff member whispered to her co-workers.

“I know right! And the Young President is not even ashamed to show it!” Another staff stated.

“And that girl was even flirting with a random guy a while ago.” And another staff stated. But of course, Ji Lin and Xu Qi didn’t hear it. If ever Xu Qi would hear it, he would probably fire those humungganoids.

Xu Qi’s POV

Wu Ji Lin, you cannot hide the fact that you still love me after all these years. But why can’t you admit it in the first place? Don’t you want your sufferings to end? Why don’t you want me to help you? Why do you have to act as if you already moved on and look at other men when you know that your feelings for me are still there? Well, it’s your choice anyways. But I know that no matter what you do, you will still end up facing your feelings for me. I know that very well, and I can’t let anybody ruin it. You will end up with me because I know we are meant to be. I am willing to do anything just to let you realize that you are for me and I am for you.

~Inside Xu Qi’s Office~

Xu Qi and Ji Lin were already inside the room. Xu Qi removed his arm from Ji Lin’s shoulder and sat in his couch. Yeah he has a couch inside his office. He sat for a moment and Ji Lin.......... blab she was just standing beside him still trying to hide her blushing ever red face. Xu Qi looked at Ji Lin and yeah you know trying to have some sweet moments.

“Eh.....why are you just there standing huh?” Xu Qi asked with calm voice. Ji Lin avoided his gaze and turned around.

“W-w-what do you mean?” Ji Lin answered stuttering.

“How will you suppose to know if you’re letting me face your back.” Xu Qi answered in a as-a-matter-of-fact voice. Ji Lin was hit. Yeah she was hit dudes. So she turned around to face his ‘boss’. Xu Qi smiled and....you know when he smiles, something evil is going on in his mind.

“Why don’t you also sit here. Your y legs will get those varicose veins if you continued to stand like that.” Xu Qi said with a smirk on his face. Ji Lin’s eyes widened and her face goes like o.O. Yeah with a why-would-I-do-that look on her face.

“Y-Y-You----“ Ji Lin was so affected with Xu Qi’s little joke that she lost her balance, making Xu Qi’s reflexes alert, and caught her just on time, but they both lost their balance and fell on the floor with him on top of Ji Lin and.......... he accidentally kissed Ji Lin. Yeah we all know that Xu Qi is really into Ji Lin but he never wanted to do that on purpose. (Dude, no dirty imaginations please. It was an accident. I repeat. It was an accident.) It was then too, that a certain bald manager came to the scene and opened the door harshly, and saw Xu Qi and Ji Lin’s kissing scene and ...........

“Oh-Oh-Oh I-I am sorry to disturb you----“ The bald manager stuttered as he tried to turn away and avoid looking at the scene, with his eyes still widening and mouth still opened.  Xu Qi and Ji Lin immediately separated and stood up.

“Eh! You bald alien why didn’t you knock on the door?” Xu Qi scowled at the old man trying to hide his embarrassment.

“I-I-I did young president. But I guess you were too busy to......you know....” the old man replied with a shy expression on his face.

“Shut up!..........Perhaps you don’t have a love life..........What did you come here anyways?” Xu Qi said with a shoot-why-of-all-people-it-was-you-who-ruined-the-moment look on his face. He tried to act normal and cool as can be. On the other hand, when Ji Lin heard what Xu Qi said, she automatically blushed with a it-was-an-accident-and-not-a-new-love-life expression on her blushing face. The bald manager straightened himself and prepared to spill out his intentions.

“[clears throat] uhmm Young Master Alexander is looking for this Wu Ji Lin. [stupid smile]” Xu Qi looked at Ji Lin. Ji Lin rolled her eyes and acted like she saw nothing. Although it was very obvious that she is still blushing. Xu Qi let out a big sigh and looked at the old man once again.

“Let Alexander come here. I need this woman in my office so let him come here.” Xu Qi said as he sat back in his couch with a like-a-boss-position. (You know that position. Arrogant sitting position with feet on top of a little center table.) The old man cleared his throat once again and looked at Ji Lin and Xu Qi teasingly.

“You need her for what?” Xu Qi’s face turned red and also Ji Lin but he managed to control the situation.

“What do you really want to hear from me?! That I want to let this woman stay in here to make me happy?! You’re eyes are that blurry? She’s a secretary and not a e! Mind your own business! What happened a while ago was unexpected! So let Alexander come here if he wants to see her!” Xu Qi said as he glared at the bald man who almost peed in his pants due to too much tension. Yeah Xu Qi is that scary when he get’s angry. *Ji Lin you are so amazing! You survived Xu Qi’s anger before.*

“Y-Y-es young master.” Then, the old man hurried away. When Ji Lin and Xu Qi were already alone, Ji Lin tried to break the awkward silence.

“Xu Qi.........” Ji Lin called Xu Qi’s name in a soft calm voice. Xu Qi turned to look at Ji Lin.

“Yes?”  Xu Qi casually answered.

“You shouldn’t have scolded the old man. He’s such a pity....” Ji Lin pouted. Xu Qi smiled.

“Well, it wasn’t really my intention. If you want me to...........I will apologize to him later.”

“Mmm. But please don’t do it just because I told you. Do it because you realized that what you did was wrong.” Ji Lin answered as she nodded obediently. Xu Qi tittered and patted Ji Lin’s head like a puppy.

“Ji Lin, why do you lecture me like I am your husband?” Xu Qi said with a smirk on his face. Ji Lin’s eyes widened. She blushed then bowed her head down to hide her tomato red face.

“I was just feeling pity with that old man.” Ji Lin denied.

“You felt pity for that old man because I scolded him but you never felt pity when you broke up with me and never bothered to hear the real story and explanation behind.” Xu Qi stated with a teasing smile on his face as he move closer to Ji Lin. They were less than an 5 inches apart. Ji Lin looked up with a shocked face. She stared at Xu Qi eyes. She can’t feel her legs. They were too numb. Seems like a cold air passed by. After that, everything fell silent and cold.

Ji Lin’s POV

His eyes. His eyes look so hurt and lonely, but how can he state those words as if he was not affected and hurt at all? How could he fight those feelings so quick? How could he show such a brave Xu Qi, when inside is a hurt and a broken-hearted Xu Qi? I was the one who caused your sufferings. It was me who caused it all. So I guess, this fate that our company is facing is the karma that I get for being so heartless against you. I know you can’t hear me right now, but from the bottom of my heart, I am saying sorry to you.

Normal POV

So...........mainly Xu Qi and Ji Lin were staring at each other that they didn’t even notice Alexander knock in the door and come in. When they noticed the doorknob turn, they immediately stopped staring at each other and both looked in different directions. Alexander then came in with a plain expression on his face.

“Ahh........Hi.” Alexander greeted with a low voice. Ji Lin tried to act normally and entertained Alexander.

“What do you need from me sir?” Ji Lin asked politely as she bowed in respect.

“I guess we exchanged papers from a while ago’s incident.” Alexander answered with a smirk on his face as he waved a piece of paper in his hand. Ji Lin stuttered and started to rummage in the piles of papers that she have. And WALLAH! She found an unfamiliar paper and gave it to Alexander and smiled at him. Alexander smiled too. They were having so much sweet momentums when..............

“Alexander, what brought you back here in Taipei?” Xu Qi asked in a cold way with a I-know-why-you-are-here-so-just-tell-me-the-truth expression on his face as he looked at Alexander with a hint of darkness in his eyes. Alexander was startled.

“Because your ‘mom’ told me so.” Alexander answered back as he emphasized the word mom and trying to act cool.

“ If that’s the case, you can go back to London now. You will get nothing from me. (looks at Ji Lin) Let’s go. We have a meeting to attend.” Xu Qi said as he stood up and was about to leave the room. But Alexander said something before he was about to hold the doorknob.

“Andrew Yan, as your cousin, I am trying to help my aunt because I don’t want to see her hurt. Please cooperate as well. You are his son. You should at least remember that you still have a family. Don’t focus on your own materialistic desires. Money can wait.” Alexander said in a serious tone without looking at Xu Qi. Xu Qi turned around and faced Alexander’s back, then smirked while replying to Alexander’s statement.

“Who said I stayed here for money?” Xu Qi finally said then went out of that room with Ji Lin following behind him. The whole meeting duration, Xu Qi was all silent and blank. Ji Lin felt worried at Xu Qi, but she allowed Xu Qi to think of his thoughts on his own.

~Unknown Convo~  

“So, were you able to convince him?”

“Uncle, he was hard to convince. I think money was not the major reason. And we are running out of time.”

“After all these years?  Poor son.”

“Uncle, did you say something?”

“NO nothing. Take a look at this woman in the picture. Do something about her. It might help you in convincing him.”

“Yes uncle.”

~End of Convo~

~Xu Qi’s Office-Night time~

Xu Qi was sitting on his office chair with his head tilted up. His room is illuminated by the city’s silhouette that enters his glass window. From there, you could see the whole city’s top view. He slowly closed his eyes as he let out a big sigh. After some minutes, he opened his eyes and reached for his table drawer. He pulled it open and got a picture from it’s secret compartment. He stared at the picture for a moment then smiled. It was Ji Lin’s picture.

Xu Qi’s POV

After all these years, you were the only thing that I wanted to achieve. The hardest thing to achieve. For 9 years, I wasn’t able to sleep peacefully every passing night. All I can hear is your sweet mesmerizing voice whenever I close my eyes. I tried to forget you but I can’t. It was hard forgetting you. Forgetting you was the hardest thing to do. I admit. I was mad at you in the first place. I was mad at you for leaving me. I was mad at you for being so unreasonable. In fact, I was ready to leave Taipei for the past 3 months. But when I learned that you came back, my decision suddenly changed. And it was then that I realized that I can never hate you because I only know how to love you. And that there is only one thing that I wanted to do right now. And it was to get you back no matter what. No matter what comes in my way, I will surely knock them down. Nothing and no one can stop me from my goal right now. And it is you. But.............up to now, one thing is bugging me. On the day that you left me, did you lie to me? Were the words that I heard from your best friend true?

Normal POV

Xu Qi snapped out to reality when he heard a knock from the door.

“Come in.” Xu Qi said in a weak low voice.

“Young Master.” A husky voice responded as the door opened. It was Butler Wang.

“What results did you get Butler Wang?” Xu Qi asked as he massaged his head.

“Based on the research that we had, she is now living in their old place. She lives not with her mom but with a 9 year old girl. And it was also stated that, the little girl was Mr. and Mrs. Chen’s daughter. She adopted the kid on the day that Mrs. Chen gave birth to that baby.” Butler Wang stated.

“What’s.........the girl’s name?” Xu Qi asked with a hint of curiosity in his voice.

“Wu Ying Jie.”

“Thanks Butler Wang. You can now take your leave.” Xu Qi instructed Butler Wang. Butler Wang bowed his head down before leaving and closed the door. Xu Qi, on the other hand, remained silent and just stared at Ji Lin’s picture.

“Wu Ji Lin, what grim secret are you hiding from me since the day that we met?” Xu Qi thought as he stared at Ji Lin’s picture and returned it back to the drawer. Then eventually fell asleep on that large office chair.
~The Next Day~

Normal POV

Ji Lin arrived early in the morning. I mean.............earlier than the usual time that she arrives. Instead of arriving 10:25 A.M, she arrived 10:23 A.M. Yeah.........Congratulations Ji Lin! You managed to go earlier for 2 minutes. Anyways, Ji Lin rushed towards Xu Qi’s office despite of her situation that every staff was staring at her evilly. I know right! It’s hard on Ji Lin’s part. You know.....the feeling when you are serious with what you are doing and yet others were like.......¬_¬ yeah.........this face really in reality. When Ji Lin arrived in Xu Qi’s office, she was feeling awkward because everything feels so silent. She looked around the room, and picked up the pieces of paper scattered on the floor. When she went near Xu Qi’s table, she wondered why the office chair was facing the other way round. She went to the opposite side of the chair, and there she saw, Xu Qi sleeping peacefully on the big chair. She stared at him with longing eyes as she observed keenly, each of Xu Qi’s facial details. His chinky eyes, his tired face, his perfectly shaped nose, his smooth, white face, his disheveled silky hair, and his perfect thin kissable lips. Ji Lin smiled and left to get a blanket and covered it on top of Xu Qi’s body.

“Xu Qi, after all these years, your perfect handsome face still didn’t change. You are still the Xu Qi that made me crazy whenever I look at you from a distance.” Ji Lin whispered as she traced Xu Qi’s face with her fingers. She started tracing Xu Qi’s eyebrows, then his nose. But, Xu Qi suddenly moved and Ji Lin was startled so she backed off only to know that Xu Qi was not awake. Ji Lin let out a sigh as a sign of relief. But she didn’t knew that Xu Qi was indeed awake, and heard everything that she said, and everything that she was about to say.

“Xu Qi, your face looks so perfect and angelic when you are asleep. How I wish I could still have a feel of it, and stare at it no matter how long I want it to be.” Ji Lin said it while attempting to touch Xu Qi’s cheeks when....................Xu Qi’s hand caught Ji Lin’s hand as he slowly opened his eyes and let out a smile. Ji Lin froze while Xu Qi started to move closer and closer and.............WALLAH! Xu Qi gave Ji Lin a peck on the lips. Ji Lin’s eyes widened and froze for a moment, then managed to speak afterwards.

“W-W-What’s that for?!” Ji Lin yelled in embarrassment. Xu Qi smirked and removed the blanket from his body and stretched his arms.

“It was just a good morning kiss. You were attempting to kiss me anyways.” Xu Qi answered innocently. Ji Lin froze as her eyebrows started to twitch.

“Y-Y-You—“ Ji Lin struggled to refuse.

“Aw~ don’t worry, I won’t tell the staff about our relationship. Unless they witness it.” Xu Qi cut Ji Lin as he plastered a teasing smirk in his face.  

“You ert maniac!” Ji Lin yelled when she heard what Xu Qi said.

“Yeah Yeah whatever. I’m going to take a bath now. Just bring me my breakfast.” Xu Qi stated as he started ing his shirt. Ji Lin covered her eyes as she started to do some Martian language. But still, Xu Qi was able to understand it.

“What do you want for breakfast?” Ji Lin asked in a squeaky voice.

“As long as you are the one who chose it I will surely eat it.” Xu Qi replied when he was already inside the bathroom. Ji Lin was shocked but.......yeah she just shrugged her shoulders and  went outside of the room and walked towards the other side of the hallway to get Xu Qi’s breakfast. Sweet right?

Xu Qi’s POV

[smirk] I never expected that my day would start right. I mean..........I slept last night with an extreme headache, which up to now is still present.  And I realized that it was gone when I heard Ji Lin’s words the time when I acted that I was asleep. Seems like Ji Lin still has the guts to like me after all..............Uh! my head hurts so much..........Hope this would go away immediately. I still have piles of pending activities to do. And this Alexander, he adds up to my headaches and burdens. Why does he have to go back here in Taipei? Why now? Now that I am slowly seeing the broken pieces of the unsolved puzzle of my life. I know. He has another hidden purpose why he came back here. Maybe because his................uhh!!!!! this headache !