004

A Child's Game

January 2nd, 1989

It was cold.

Winter had just left, leaving the Oh family and his residents freezing cold. Many times, Sehun had asked for Luhan to come over and hold him close so they’d warm up, but Luhan knew better and immediately refused.

“Why not, Luhan?” Sehun asked.

“There is a fire downstairs with six blankets. You will be warm there.” Luhan bowed, but at that moment, he felt Sehun’s hand grab his elbow and pull him. Luhan came tumbling down and landed on Sehun’s lap.

“M-Master!” Luhan cried in alarm. He got up quickly and looked around, trying to see if anyone spotted them.

“What’s wrong, Luhan?” Sehun asked innocently.

“This is not the kind of place where you can do whatever you want.” Luhan replied. “I’m sorry, I must leave quickly now.”

Luhan scuttered down the hall, away from Sehun. He gets bolder and bolder by the second, Luhan thought as he raced down the halls. Along the way he bumped into someone. Luhan looked up, his eyes widened and he immediately bowed.

“M-Miss Hy-Hyuna!” Luhan bowed again and again. Hyuna looked at the boy carefully, her eyes burning with curiosity, but then the flame was doused and she continued on her way down.

 

“Good morning, Sehun.” Hyuna greeted as she entered the library. Sehun had just occupied himself with a book on love.

“Hello there, Miss Hyuna.” Sehun replied.

“Come on, Sehun. We’ve known each other long enough to call each other informally.” Hyuna nudged Sehun a bit.

"I'm quite busy actually." Sehun said. Hyuna raised an eyebrow.

"I just saw Luhan running down the hall."

"Luhan is just a servant, Hyuna. He has a right to see me at any time, really." Sehun replied. 

 

Luhan's heart slightly broke at those words, as he listened carefully behind the library door.

"It was too good to be true." Luhan whispered and walked away. 

 

January 5th, 1989

Luhan felt awkward, as he stood at the foot of Sehun's chair at the dining table. Hyuna's family had come over to have dinner and talk. Sehun had requested for Luhan to be there, as Sehun wanted to feel more comfortable, but for some reason, Luhan being there just made it more uncomfortable.

"Ah...Luhan?" Sehun whispered. Luhan leaned down. 

"Yes, Master?"

"Can you please get Hyuna a glass of water? She looks thirtsty." Sehun said and Luhan nodded and walked away, taking the uncomfortable atmosphere with him. 

 

"Water...water..." Luhan mumbled as he took a clean glass out and filled it with fresh water. He turned around, holding the glass of water and got a shock, when he saw Hyuna herself, standing there.

"Mr. Xi." Hyuna said bluntly. Luhan bowed. 

"Miss Hyuna! Master Sehun told me to give you some water." Luhan said and handed the water to her with both hands. Hyuna smiled and took the water. Then she leaned against the kitchen bench and observed Luhan carefully as she took small sips. 

"Is there a problem, Miss Hyuna?" Luhan asked politely. 

"How old are you, Luhan?" Hyuna asked. Luhan gulped, she was being informal with him.

"Fifteen, Miss." Luhan replied, his eyes darting around, his hands fiddling, as he squirmed under Hyuna's stare.

"Do you know how old I am, Luhan?"

"Thirteen, Miss."

"So you do know your stuff! Let me ask you another question. Where was I born?"

"Seoul, Miss." Luhan replied quickly. Hyuna tapped her chin slowly and lightly, a very feminine move that made her resemble a cat. 

"So you do know a lot about me!" Hyuna clasped her hands together, her eyes shining. Luhan nodded. "But isn't it too bad that I know nothing about you?"

"It's alright with me, Miss Hyuna. It's not your job to learn about a servant." Luhan replied. 

"I would like to talk to you some other time."

"Of course. I will anticipate." Luhan smiled and waited for Hyuna to exit first. Hyuna smiled and on her way out of the kitchen, she bumped into Sehun.

"Sehun!" Hyuna squealed. 

"Miss Hyuna, why are you bothering my servant?"

"Mr. Xi and I were having a lovely chat. In fact, we're going to go out together sometime." Hyuna battered her lashes slowly.

"Your dad would never allow it. Don't even try." Sehun said bluntly and indicated for Hyuna to go away. Hyuna nodded and walked off, back to the dining room.

"Is there something you need, Master?" Luhan asked. 

"Was she bothering you, Luhan? Tell me." Sehun moved forward. Luhan wanted to back away a bit, but stayed in his spot, afraid of making his master mad. 

"Miss Hyuna was telling the truth, Master." Luhan replied. Sehun moved in and grabbed Luhan by the shoulders. Luhan had to admit; the boy was tall.

"Tell me if she does anything bad, okay?" Sehun said. Then he walked out, with Luhan on his trail.

 

"Ah, Sehun, you're back." Mr. Oh said as his son took his seat at the table. Luhan walked around and took the pepper from the middle and passed it to Sehun. Sehun immediately started sprinkling the pepper over his meat very lightly.

"So, your father and I were thinking, maybe you and Hyuna could go out to the film festival together tomorrow night?" Mrs. Oh asked casually.

"No thanks." Sehun replied. Mr. Oh dropped his fork on the table.

"Oh Sehun, we wanted to be nice, but you are going and that's final." Mr. Oh said.

"Why should I go?"

"Hyuna is a very nice girl." Mr. Oh said as he glanced appreciatively at Hyuna, who was delicatly prodding her salads.

"I am aware of that. Fine, I will go on one condition." Sehun said.

"What would that be?" Mrs. Oh asked. Sehun looked up and pointed at Luhan who looked down at Sehun shocked.

"Luhan comes to carry our stuff."  

_________________________________________________________

Thank you to all my subbies! I am really happy to see so many people liking my story!

Sehunny - Haha, I like to trick my subbies. It's what I do best.