023

A Child's Game

July 13th, 1991

 

They did not arrive in Ameria until two days later. They had to make a pit stop in Japan to pick up one of the other models. When they arrived, Luhan waited patiently by Hyuna's side, a little afraid and intimiated by the new sounds around him. There was music playing, but not the kind he was used to hearing, which was the orchestra that played whenever there were househeld parties back at the Oh's. A man brushed past him and Luhan almost went bowing to him to apologise, but when he turned around, the man had disappeared and that was when he remembered that he was no longer a servant, so there was no need for the exaggerated respect. 

The sudden realisation had him reeling on the inside. 

"Who exactly are we looking for?" he asked Hyuna and Hyuna shrugged. 

"A man, I guess, a bit taller than you..." Hyuna guessed. Then suddenly, Jodi was waving wildly, and calling out a guy's name.

"Kai! Kai!" she cried and Hyuna and Luhan turned to see a man pull Jodi into a big hug. Then Jodi quickly pulled him over to meet Luhan and Hyuna, who stood there frozen in awe. 'Kai' strode forward and reached out his hand towards Luhan.

He looks like a duplicate of Jongin, plus the designer clothes and styled hair, Luhan thought. And Hyuna was wrong, he is much much taller than me.

"Hello? Does he speak Korean? He looks Chinese," Kai spoke to Hyuna.

"You speak good Korean," Hyuna commented. "But yeah, he speaks. I think he's a little shocked. First time out of the house, you know?"

"Oh, it's his first time travelling?" Kai asked.

"Yes, but I actually did mean what I said," Hyuna replied and Kai took a step back to observe Luhan.

"So that's why he's so pale," Kai replied and the comment has Luhan snapped out of his little dream state. 

"Actually, it was because of a bleaching punishment but-" Luhan was about to continue when Hyuna slapped a hand over his mouth. Luhan gave her a quizzical look and Hyuna leaned in to whisper. 

"Don't say anything," Hyuna warned and Luhan nodded. 

"Bleaching punishment?" Kai asked and Luhan just shook his head. 

"I just got lighter from little exposure," Luhan lied and Kai nodded in understanding. 

"Okay kids, as much as I don't want to interrupt your introductions, we have a plane to catch right now, so grab your stuff and let's go!" Jodi hurried. 

 

Kai turned out to be a really talkative guy. The moment they sat down, Kai turned to face Luhan and Luhan braced himself for the conversation to come. 

"So you haven't been out of the country?" Kai asked and Luhan shook his head. "Have you tried opening that window next to you?"

"Am I not going to fly out?" Luhan asked in fear and Kai started to laugh. 

"Try it," Kai said and Luhan hesitantly raised the window. A flood of light came through and Luhan's mouth dropped open. There was the sound of a click and burst of light in the corner of his eyes, but he didn't awknowledge it. 

He was above the clouds. He was above the clouds! He was above the clouds! Luhan had only seen them for the ground and they seemed pretty dull down below, but suddenly in the air...it was like they were riding on them. Luhan reached out and let his fingers trace trails on the glass and he shivered from how cold the window was.

"You look good in light," Kai complimented and Luhan shot away from the window and stared at Kai. Then Kai held up his camera and showed the photo he had taken. Luhan stared at his picture in disbelief.

"Do I really look like this?" Luhan asked, not sounding like he didn't believe it, but more like an actual genuine question.

"Somewhat similar," Kai replied. "What do you think of the clouds?"

"Surreal," Luhan whispered.

"What did you do, before you were chosen? I'm quite interested in what kind of occupation you had that required you to stay hidden for almost your whole life," Kai inquired and Luhan flushed in embarrassment.

"I was...I was a servant," Luhan replied.

"A servant?" Kai asked, surprise in his tone. "What kind?"

"Um...I was a personal servant for the son of the household," Luhan replied, feeling slightly ill when he mentioned the word 'son'.

"Oh wow, that must've been interesting. You would've had to do a lot of babysitting," Kai laughed.

"Not really, he was two years younger than me, so he would be sixteen this year," Luhan replied.

"Is he bratty? Like, rich and snobby?" Kai asked and Luhan wondered where he got all these questions from.

"He..." Luhan choked on his next words. "He is kind...sweet, but sometimes very sour. Very stubborn but loving at times. Definitely rich, but I had never seen him spend it lazily."

"Did he make you do a lot of work? You don't look like you've had to do a lot of cleaning," Kai said and poked one of Luhan's arms.

"He didn't like me doing work. He preferred me learning instead. He taught me how to dance, how to read and write, how to speak English, how to-" love. Luhan stopped there. "He taught me a lot."

"You've lived a more interesting life than me anyway," Kai sighed and slumped against his chair. "This is the most exciting thing I've ever done in my life."

"What did you do?" Luhan asked.

"I guess you could say I was a servant too, but to my own family. The deal was, was that they would feed me, clothe me and educate me as long as I got married and got rich," Kai replied.

"What's it like? Having...having parents?" Luhan asked cautiously, knowing what his questioned implied. Kai gave him a shifty look and sighed.

"It's not better than having no parents. They're not really parents anyway, more like producers, well, my ones at least. Other people's parents are like Cinderella's godmother," Kai scoffed. 

"Who's Cinderella?" Luhan asked.

"You have got to be kidding me."

"I'm not kidding."

"What kind of mother and father wouldn't tell their child about these fairytales?!"

"Ah...Kai...remember? They're dead?"

"Oh yeah, forgot. Well, do you want me to tell you?"

 

Luhan stepped into America, feeling dazed. He was half asleep, but he had dreamt well, of mice turning into horses and his rags turning into a suit. It was weird, having this kind of fantasy, but he knew it was the effects of Kai's fairytale. That was when he realised that there were probably a whole lot more fairytales other than Cinderella and he couldn't wait to ask Kai for a story before he would go to bed. 

"Luhan?" Jodi asked and strode up next to him. "Welcome to America."

 

"Where's Sehun?" Mr. Oh asked as he strolled into the dining room. Mrs. Oh and Kyungmi, who was standing in the corner, looked up at his presence.

"Where do you think he is?" Mrs. Oh asked, distress obvious in her tone. Mr. Oh inhaled before taking the seat opposite from is wife, who looked at him with a questioning gaze.

"What?" Mr. Oh asked after he couldn't take the staring anymore.

"Should we give it to him?" Mrs. Oh asked. Kyungmi's ears perked up at this.

"He might rip it up in anger," Mr. Oh replied curtly and Mrs. Oh kept staring.

"But what if it calms him down? I mean, it's from Luhan," Mrs. Oh murmurmed. Kyungmi quickly strode forward and asked for dismissal from her. Mrs. Oh gave her a worried look and Kyungmi just shook her head. Eventually, Mrs. Oh dismissed her with a nod and a wave of her hand and Kyungmi was quickly escaping the hall and making her way down the hallway that led to Sehun's room.

Her heart was beating a little fast and she was slightly doubtful of whether she should inform Sehun, but she had promised herself that she was going to do whatever she could to make this as fast and entertaining as possible. Plus, it could probably help Sehun.

"Master Sehun?" she cried as she knocked on his door. No answer, but it was expected. "Master Sehun, it's me, Kyungmi. I bring news."

"Go away," came the small reply and Kyungmi breathed in.

"It's...it's about..." Kyungmi let her sentence drift off and then waited.

Seconds past with silence enveloping them. Kyungmi almost decided to leave too, but then suddenly, there was the sound of the door knob rattling and Kyungmi's breath was caught in . The door opened and there stood Sehun, a little dishevelled but not as bad as she had imagined. He stared at her with burning eyes, as if trying to force the news out of her with his gaze.

"Speak," he said and Kyungmi gulped.

"Your parents...they have something that Luhan wanted to give to you," Kyungmi slowly said and before she knew it, Sehun was pushing Kyungmi to the side and stomping off down the hallway towards the dining room. The moment Sehun entered the main hall, his heart started to really hammer. He could see his parents sitting at the table, discussing something in a hushed tone. Just to make sure, Sehun tip toed over to the wall and pressed himself against it so that he could eavesdrop.

"Have you read it?" Sehun heard his father speak.

"I took a glance, but Luhan told me not to read it," Mrs. Oh replied in a flat tone. 

"What'd you make of it?" Mr. Oh asked.

"I didn't understand what I saw. Something about a king," Mrs. Oh sighed.

"But we don't have a king," Mr. Oh frowned in response.

"Exactly." Sehun decided to jump out of his hiding space and came forward, taking long strides towards his parents, who coughed into their food in shock of their son's appearance.

"Give it to me, whatever Luhan had given you," Sehun ordered and he watched his mother's expression turn doubtful.

"Sehun-"

"Give it to me!" Sehun shouted and his mother went scrambling at her pockets. Eventually, she felt her fingers brush against paper and she pulled it out, brandishing it before Sehun's eyes and Sehun snatched it away from her.

He didn't even look at it as he walked away, listening to his parents call after him, asking where he was going. He didn't answer, as he soundlessly exited the house through the front door and kept walking forward into the driveway. It was only when he had reached the gates that he decided to open the note.

He took a deep breath and pushed the gate open as he slowly brought his eyes down onto the page.

My king of the winds,

Torn by the gales he summoned,

He must love to mend.

Try to accept him,

Turn a blind eye to his hate,

Blossom and renew.

Sehun stared at the poem incredulously. What in the world did Luhan mean? He remembered the first part of the poem being what Luhan had recited that one time Sehun had hit him. But what did the rest mean? Try to accept who?

And what about blossom and renew? What in god's name did it mea-


 

Oh!!!!! Cut off?! What happened? Why was he cut off? You can all make guesses if you want. Dunno if someone will get it though. You can also try guess what the poem means. I'll give you guys a hint: Luhan is talking about someone.

I think there might be more than five more chapters actually.  

Okay haha. Also, when I had posted up the last chapter, I noticed there were two responses:

1) No! How could you leave him, Luhan?! But at least you can grow up and be on same status as Sehun! And I hope Sehun becomes more mature. 

2) I knew he was going to leave and I knew you were going to trick us. 

Lol, you guys. YOU GUYS HAVE TO TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK because like, legitimately, almost every comment on chapter 21 were like, I'm glad he's not leaving. Nobody told me they assumed that I was going to trick them or anything. I'm so confused! Tell me what you think guys!

 

Okay, now onto the comments:

happylacus - I know right? When I was writing Luhan, I started feeling a bit of a delfish, stand-offish vibe from him. I orginally wanted him to be a bit hesitant and doubtful, but he seems to have become more than what I had intended. I guess this way, it makes him more a of a deeper character, for me at least. I wasn't quite into the whole non-depth characters with a base personality. If I had written Luhan as I had intended him to be, he probably would've been confessing that he liked Sehun by chapter 9 or something and not chapter 21. 

bottreypigpig - hhahahaha you and Arisa_Kurogatsu seem to share the same opinion. Yeah, it does seem like Luhan is playing around with Sehun's feelings. It's like he enjoys Sehun petting and all, but only at a first level sort of thing. But if you put it in another way, does Luhan love him back? Has Sehun treated Luhan well (and don't count all the times they would kiss and stuff because that doesn't count)? If you answered yes, for the first question and no for the second, then you're on the right track. I think Luhan is playing with Sehun's feelings........unconsciously, like he doesn't know he is(???). 

ShadowMaster - I refuse to believe that you cried, because IT IS SO HARD TO MAKE SOMEONE CRY WITH WORDS. Like, I had only cried for maybe two ordinary fics and all the popular fics out of the thousands of fics I have read. But thank you anyway, hahahaha!

sapphire_22 - *grabs first aid kit* Hahaha Your bipolarness is welcomed with open arms. 

K9Informant - NEVER READ ANGST STORIES WHILE LISTENING TO ANGST MUSIC. LIKE I DID THAT WHILE READING THERE WILL COME SOFT RAINS ON YOUTUBE AND GOD I CRIED FOR 10 MINS WICH WAS HALF OF THE VIDEO. hahaha im using caps lock too! Thank you for reading!

lastlife - O_O How in the world did you cry?

ScarletDreamer - I learnt it from Goddess actually, hahaha! As much as Chen is the ultimate troll, Goddess can seriously put a twist in her stories. I mean, she writes pretty decent I guess, not the best, but decent, but her twists are the best, which is why I am subscribed to her. 

noelanihonu - I don't want to waste my karma on a story like this, haha. I don't think it's worth it. I'm happy with you guys anyway and plus, the story is almost coming to an end.

2minHunHanLover - Soooooo~ close, yet not quite. >:)))

beulucido - *sings along with you to keep the vibe going*

mushroombaby12 - I thought something like this was going to happen, but not quite like that. Like, I was planning to post Luhan going away on New Years, cause then I would laugh and be like hey I separated Hunhan on new years day! but then I thought against it.

ExoticFanatic - Up to your eyeballs in feels?? Wow, that's an amazing phrase! I'll use it in my next fic, and I'll credit you of course, hahahaha.