024

A Child's Game

July 14th, 1991

 

Never cry for me again.

Sehun was sore all over. He couldn't feel his hands. Neither could he feel his legs, but there was a hammering pain in his ribs and a emotional toll on his heart. His fingers twitched as he tried to keep himself consciouus, trying to grasp onto memories that was beginning to slip past his fingers. Sehun could hear sirens, wails of rescue, but he felt like screaming for them to stay away, to just leave him alone. His eyes tried to open and in the distance, he could see a piece of paper lying a few centimetres away from him. He ached to reach for it, but his body wouldn't allow him. All of a sudden, someone leant down and picked it off the ground and Sehun didn't have the physical strength to look up. 

Never cry for me again. That voice. Oh how Sehun wanted to cry right now. He wanted to cry. But that voice, Luhan's voice, was telling him not too. So he wouldn't. He was going to comply with Luhan, just this once. 

"Sehun? Sehun! Are you still there?" a voice slurred above his head. 

"Sehun..."

"Sehun!"

"Sehun?"

"...ehu..."

"...hun..."

"...hu..."

Then his eyes rolled back and he fell dead to the world. 

 

"We should've chased after him, we should've!" Mrs. Oh cried as he curled herself into her husband's chest. Mr. Oh was pretty calm and resolved, but he was probably only trying to act as the compose one - after all, someone had to, right? Mr. Oh sighed at his family; a love sick heartbroken son and a kind and weakhearted wife. 

"That man was speeding and if he hadn't, then Sehun would've been fine. Apparently, Sehun didn't even make it to the road, just to the end of the driveway," Mr. Oh tried to say ressuringly. But Mrs. Oh only cried even more. 

"What luck?!" Mrs. Oh cried, earning a few stares from neighbouring seats. Mr. Oh gave them an apologetic smile before rubbing his wife's shoulder, trying to get her to calm down. All of a sudden, his grip tightened on her and she look up to see what had made his freeze. 

A nurse was walking towards them, a nervous smile on her face, no doubt she was faking it for their cause. She adressed them and they answered back with silent nods, their faces blank yet holing frightened emotion. 

"Sehun has fractured a few ribs and broken his leg, but aside from that, he hasn't broken anything else. He was very lucky that a garbage bag broke his fall," the nurse informed and Mrs. Oh was grabbing the nurses hands, thanking the young girl and blessing him. Mr. Oh pulled her back in embarrassment. 

"You look troubled," Mr. Oh noted when he saw a knot in the nurse's forehead.

"Sehun...he hit his head on the fall. Not bad enough to damage his skull, but maybe enough to shake him up a little bit, so be a bit wary around him," the nurse said and Mrs. Oh paled.

"Can we visit him?" she asked and the nurse hesitated before nodding.

"He's resting a bit, so stay quiet," the nurse warned and the parents nodded before sounndlessly following the nurse into Sehun's ward.

 

"Sehun?" the nurse whispered into the room and after a few seconds, she pushed the door wide open, letting Mr and Mrs. Oh through. When they stepped in, they anxiously looked around, seeing a few beds in the room other than Sehun's occupied with patients who had broken limbs as well.

"Mother? Father?" Sehun questioned from his bed. He was reading a book previously before his parents had entered, but now it was lying on his lap. His parents sighed with relief and so did the nurse, before his parents quickly made their way over to Sehun's bed.

"What were you thinking? Walking and reading at the same time and especially in your state-?!"

"Mother, calm down. I didn't die."

"But you could've! You're my only son, you know," Mrs. Oh mumbled and Sehun hesitanty raised his hand and laid it on his mother's shoulder. He took a glance at his father who was staring at him with hard eyes.

"Hi father," Sehun greeted.

"Feeling better, Sehun?" Mr. Oh replied just as cold.

"Livid," Sehun curtly responded and it seemed that the conversation ended there.

"I heard you're going to be released in a few months," Mrs. Oh said.

"Next month actually. Turns out my bones heal quite fast," Sehun replied. He felt a hand on his cheek and he stared into his mother's warm eyes. When was the last time we have been together? Sehun thought. 

"I can't wait for you to come back home," Mrs. Oh whispered. Home, Sehun thought, as a sick feeling fell to his stomach. 

 

August 19, 1991

 

"We must celebrate!" Mrs. Oh cried as they stepped into their car. Sehun groaned, a little under his breath so that his mother wouldn't hear, but unfortunately, his mother had hawk ears. 

"Oh Sehun, we are going to celebrate the fact that you are breathing and that is that."

"I don't feel in the mood for a party," Sehun complained and his father spun around and gave him a look. 

"We have a surprise for you," he said and Sehun's interest perked. He gave his father a quizical look, knowing that his father didn't usually like to participate independently in home parties. Whatever his father had planned would be surely big. 

"Fine, but I'm not wearing that hideous green tux you bought me two years ago," Sehun said. 

"I'll have Kyungmi tend to you," Mrs. Oh said carefully and Mr. Oh shot her a panicked look. Mrs. Oh gave back a wide eyed look as well, internally shouting at him, don't worry! Sehun's probably over it already. And true to her thoughts, Sehun stayed silent.

 

"Welcome back, Master Sehun," Kyungmi welcomed as he walked in. A few of the junior maids smiled a bit with their heads bowed down and the male servants stayed stoic. Sehun gazed his eyes over them, a blank feeling in his heart. It all felt so...stiff, so unusual. There was a missing feeling in the house.

"Mother, I'd like to go to my room," Sehun said and his mother nodded.

"Kyungmi-"

"No, Jaehwan, you asist him," Mr. Oh interrupted and Mrs. Oh blinked at him. Jaehwan nodded his head enthusiastically and ushered Sehun towards his bedroom, taking Sehun's luggage and lifting it with ease.

"Why...?" Mrs. Oh muttered as she turned to her husband.

"Something just doesn't seem right with that girl," Mr. Oh replied once Kyungmi had dismissed herself from the hall. "I've been thinking of firing her."

"Why would you do that? She's helpful and doesn't cause trouble," Mrs. Oh cried.

"I feel like she knows too much and tells nothing," Mr. Oh replied, before silently stepping away and heading towards the staircase to his study room. Mrs. Oh watched him leave with a heavy heart, suddenly feeling alone when she realised everyone had left and she was still standing by the front door. She coughed awkwardly before quickly dashing up the staircase to her room to read.

 

Sehun stood, staring at his closet. Wordlessly, he reached out and grabbed the handle before ing it open. He was still for a moment, staring at the neat arrangement of his clothes before pushing all the clothes to the side. Eventually, he managed to come across a small little opening in the back. Seeing it, he smiled in victory. Then he glanced around, checking to see if anyone would come, but after hearing nothing, he grinned before stepping inside and slipping through the hole. He ended up on the other side, in a much too familiar old classroom. He walked over to the abandoned desks and looked closely at them. One of the desks had a large clean spot on it, completely absent of dust, indicating that someone was in here not too long ago.

Sehun had brief flashbacks of filtered sun and lusting hands, before he shook it all away. After coming out of the hospital, Sehun soon learnt that there were just some memories that should be kept in the dark. He looked up at the chalkboard and tilted his head at what was written on it. Lesson #1. It was empty after that. No lesson had been conducted. The teacher never got the chance to teach the student. Was it bad that it made Sehun feel sad?

"Master Sehun?" came a small and familiar voice, sending Sehun back to his senses.

"Wait!" Sehun shouted loudly before quickly climbing back through the hole and shifting the clothes over to cover it. He patted himself down to get rid of the dust before flinging himself into his desk chair.

"You can come in," Sehun said and the door slowly opened. Kyungmi peeked her head in and Sehun's head tilted at the sight of the familiar girl. "Ah, Kyungmi. What is it?"

"I have to help you get dressed as the Missus asked," Kyungmi replied and bowed. Sehun nodded.

"Okay then. I hope you have a good fashion sense."

"I hope you have duable clothes."

 

Many hours later, Sehun found himself completely done up. He hadn't ever felt so fresh and clean since...well, since never. Not even on his birthdays. Kyungmi had him shower for half an hour at least to make sure he was completely rid of the hospital smell. She also had him shave as he wasn't allowed able to do so in the hospital either. When he was out, she immediately threw a prepared outfit at him, which he caught clumsily and stared at it. He had no complaints, because it at least wasn't the green tux. It was a simple, plain, black tux that emphasized his broad shoulders and added length to his already tall height. Then she attacked his hair, fixing it to one side and gelling it back to make him look classy. He was only sixteen and he was already looking like he was twenty.

"That's my job done," Kyungmi breathed out at the end and Sehun held two thumbs up.

"You should be my stylist for the rest of my life," Sehun said.

"I'm afraid that I will be leaving soon," Kyungmi sadly replied and Sehun snapped his head around because of her response.

"Where? Where will you go? Who has hired you?" Sehun cried.

"Oh no, it's just that, I think it's time that I returned home to be the daughter I should've been," Kyungmi muttered lightly under her breath.

"Ah, so you ran away from home, did you?" Sehun asked.

"More like escaped," Kyungmi laughed. "But I think it's time to go back. Rebellion can only last so long, right?"

"That is right," Sehun nodded. Then there was a knock on the door and both of the teens looked up.

"Who is it?" Kyungmi called out and the door slowly opened. His mother stepped in and Sehun stood to his feet. When his mother rested her eyes on Sehun, her facials softened and she immediately reached out and laid a hand on his shoulder.

"You have grown," she sighed.

"Are people already turning up?" Sehun questioned and his mother nodded.

"They've all brought you gifts," Mrs. Oh replied and Sehun grinned at the mention of 'gifts'.

"Money or what?"

"Food and a bit of money. One of the guests bought you a book on business management," Mrs. Oh replied, shaking her head softly.

"Then I should go out and greet them, shouldn't I?"

 

"Oh Sehun! How wonderful to see you alive and breathing," Park Sungjoon cried as he stepped forward and patted Sehun on the shoulder.

"Wouldn't want to be doing anything else," Sehun replied and Sungjoon laughed, tipping his head back.

"I assume that you are fully capable of eating anything now, right? No more restrictions?" Sungjoon questioned.

"You are quite right."

"Then you must feast on the turkey my wife and I had brought. You will truly love it. My wife is an excellent cook," Sungjoon bragged, but Sehun could sense the joy in his voice. It was Sungjoon's charm. His profession of being a university lecturer did not suit his youthful personality.

"I will be sure to try it out," Sehun promised.

"No, try it now! I want to hear what you think. Come with me!" Sungjoon cried, grabbing Sehun gently by the arm and pulling him towards the banquet table which as truly covered with all sorts of food. Sehun swore he could even smell Indian, so maybe some Indian company allies had come to greet him as well. Sungjoon pulled him towards the end of the table, where the turkey outshone all the other meals. Sungjoon truly had a talented wife. Helping out with the picking of meat, Sungjoon handed Sehun a small plate with a little taster of his wife's creation.

Taking a fork, Sehun stabbed it into the turkey and brought it up to his lips where he let it rest in his mouth for a while to enjoy the taste. After five seconds, Sehun swallowed and gave Sungjoon two thumbs up.

"Magical," Sehun complimented and was about to reach for some more turkey when a family was welcomed into the house. Sehun's eyes recognised the main couple. They were dressed the most chic out of all the guests and they wore expensive brands, probably imported from some foreign country.

But Sehun wasn't really interested in the couple. He was interested in their son.

The shining, tall and ever so handsome son. He had such an aura to his walk, a splash of confidence with a bit of arrogant spice to it. And when his eyes caught Sehun's, Sehun gulped when a small smug smile graced the boy's sinful lips.

Sehun had to admit it, he was caught. So caught. All he had to do now was wait to be reeled.

God, just looking at the boy made a warm feeling rise in his stomach. That was him. He was the missing feeling in the house. 

"Sehun!" Sehun heard his name called out and he turned his head slightly to the left to see his father beckoning him. Leaving Sungjoon's side, he quickly dashed over, but in a cool manner, not wanting to look like a fool in front of the handsome boy only standing a small distance away.

"Yes, father," Sehun said and his eyes momentarily shifted to the right to glance at the boy. Oh he looked better up close

"I would like to give you your surprise now," his father said and Sehun perked up once again, remembering it.

"Oh, what is it?" Sehun asked. His father pointed to the other boy, whose smile only got larger. Sehun gulped when a flash of teeth momentarily showed.

"You're both going to be partners for the upcoming arts festival," Mr. Oh announced. "You had always wanted to run it. Now here's your chance."

"Oh goody," came the other boy's response and oh, Sehun had to melt at the sound of his voice. Trying to build up his confidence, he turned to the other boy with a calm look and held out his hand in a friendly manner, which had the other boy frowning and giving him a weird look. Sehun didn't like that look. He thought the smile suited him better. 

"Since we're both going to be partners, we should get to know each other. I'm Oh Sehun and you are?"

For some reason, everyone in the room happened to hear it. And if someone didn't hear it, they all caught onto the mood and followed along.

There was the sound of a fork dropping and the silence rose from the floor. Sehun glanced around, wondering why everyone was wearing such horrific looks andd why everyone had gone quiet. Had something gone wrong? Had he done something wrong? Why was his mother staring at him with watery eyes and a hand against ?

"Am I missing something?" Sehun spoke into the quiet room. The boy coughed and then placed his hand into Sehun's shaking it.

"My name...is Luhan."


 

OOOOHHHH wait a minute, what the hellll is going oooon???? Anyways, muahahaha I'm back. School started like two days ago and I realised that I needed to get this fic and the other fic over with so that I can bring out my new kaisoo fic.

Okay, preview over. Now, onto the comments:

 

Dyo_Little_Girl - Hey, thanks for taking the time. Seriously. *Does the heart throwing thing Jongin did in episode 10*

katie_oh - oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~

2minHunhanlover - Hmm....or am I tricking you. Tricking you guys too much makes you all too aware. You guys will slowly getter smarter with my stories hahaha. You could probably get a degree in Naeagachongmaldaebak's Comprehension.

ExoticFanatic - nah man, I wanna credit you. I'll do the whole wink thingy. Like 'he feelz up to his eyeballs *QUIET SHOUT OUT WINK TO EXOTIC FANATIC U DA BOMB* and he couldn't help it anymore but breakdance to mozart'.

dacupcakeeater - Yeah I was pretty fast those few days. I just didn't have anything to do and all of a sudden, a rush of ideas just came choo chooing through, so I was like, damn yes, let's write this thing.

Kira_Nguyen - yes. Sleep and school is important. *does a traditional dance to emphasize the importance of those two very important things*.

luhansoneday - I have a gun in my garage and I'm not in America *wink wink*. 

 

BTW guys, I'm planning on changing my username. Mainly because it's too long and wow, I made it when I was like, thirteen so I feel that it's corny, even though it's grown on me. But I just think it doesn't suit the posters that I order for the stories I write.