018

A Child's Game

July 7th, 1991

"How long are you planning to be here for?" Mrs. Oh asked as they settled down at the dining table a while later. Sehun took a glance over at Luhan, who stayed hidden in his servant position by the corridor entrance. Sehun sighed, before picking up his drink and swirling the liquid around in the glass.

"Not for too long, Mrs. Oh. I'm just here on visit, so I might pop around a few times. Ah yes, I also have a companion with me. She's a photographer from America," Mr. Kim replied.

"Ah, American," Mrs. Oh said. Then she glanced at her son. "Sehun, you know English, right? You learnt it in school?"

"Beats me. I barely remember it," Sehun replied.

"Hopefully she knows Korean," Mr. Oh sighed.

"Oh don't worry. She knows enough Korean to survive," Mr. Kim laughed and the rest of the adults laughed to lighten up the mood. They momentarily stopped laughing when Sehun stood up.

"I'll be excusing myself now. Luhan, take my plates to the kitchen and then head straight over to my quarters. Do not make me wait," Sehun ordered, before brushing himself off and then brushing past Luhan towards his bedroom. Luhan was quick, already rushing forward to collect everything up.

"You're much quicker now, Luhan. I guess my training was a waste then," Mr. Kim commented. Luhan felt himself go red and as he cradled the plates. He immediately dashed off afterwards, trying to escape.

"Rubbish, Mr. Kim. Your training was highly useful. Wasn't it, Luh- Luhan?" Mr. Oh scanned the room, trying to find the servant, but Luhan had already escaped the adults' clutch. He collapsed against the kitchen sink and Kyungmi, who was on kitchen duty, laughed at him.

"Escaping?" she asked.

"I'm terrified," Luhan chuckled.

"What I'd give to have your job," she sighed.

"You'll regret saying that," Luhan replied with a slight frown. "Okay. I'm leaving now, so bye. Work hard."

 

Sehun didn't even ask who was at the door. He just flung the door open, stuck his head out to check if anyone was in the hallway and then he grabbed Luhan's elbow, pulling him into the room and throwing him onto the bed. Sehun closed the door and jumped after the older boy, seating himself next to him. Luhan made a notion of getting up, but Sehun quickly grabbed him and pulled him back down.

"May I sit here?" Luhan asked. Sehun grinned and nodded. Luhan smiled and then he relaxed to let his back lean against the wall.

"Are you okay, Luhan?" Sehun suddenly asked.

"My well-being isn't import-"

"Are you okay, Luhan?" Sehun asked again, raising an eybrow.

"I'm fine-" -a glare from Sehun, "-but only because I know that Mr. Kim won't be staying. It's okay, he won't touch me."

"Damn right!" Sehun cried and Luhan quickly slapped a hand over his mouth.

"You mustn't swear!" Luhan warned. Luhan felt Sehun grin against his palm as Sehun reached out and grabbed Luhan's, bringing it down to their laps and squeezing it reassuringly.

"You're right. He won't touch you. I won't let him," Sehun grinned. "I don't want you anywhere near his companion either."

"May I ask why?" Luhan asked.

"You remember all the English I taught you and...you might like her," Sehun whispered. He pouted before resting his head against Luhan's shoulder, making him seem more of a kid than he already was.

The sudden confession had Luhan struck. Ah...he think I'm still straight- wait, 'still straight'? Am I... I'm not exactly sure, actually. But what mattered the most was that Sehun was aware that Luhan was unsure of his feelings for Sehun, and that kind of realisation for Luhan was a shock. Sehun seemed more aware of Luhan than Luhan thought. And also, it showed that Sehun was scared. Luhan suddenly realised that his actions until now had probably made Sehun like that; the possessiveness, the anger, the jealousy. If Luhan had stuck to the rules of this...this game, maybe the players wouldn't have gotten angered.

Luhan was quiet, too quiet for Sehun's liking. Luhan quiet meant that Luhan was thinking and Sehun didn't want Luhan to think.

"Luhan...don't think too much of what I was saying. In fact, just forg-"

 

Sehun had decided at that moment, that kisses initiated by Luhan were his favourite.

 

Luhan had his hand underneath Sehun's jaw, holding him gently like as if Sehun was fragile. Sehun's arm instinctively s itself around Luhan and pulled him in, and Sehun groaned when the sudden warmth and comfort surrounded him. They stayed like holding each other, like a picture, still but beautiful.

Luhan's thoughts were swirling, like as if his mind was flooded and there was a spontaneous whirlpool. The opposite was for Sehun, his head calm and light, as he basked in the sudden attention from the person he loved the most.

Luhan pulled apart first, slower than Sehun expected. He liked it that way, the slow separation as they rested their foreheads against each other and let the mind-blowing sensations slowly fade away. But the buzz was still there, the love was still there, hanging around them like a suspended cloud. Sehun liked hearing the sound of Luhan breathing. It reminded him that Luhan was real and that Luhan was right next to him. Not next to Kai underneath Chinese festival lights and branches, not next to Mr. Kim with bright red eyes an hidden lashes underneath his shirt, not next to Hyuna with a humble smile that would always grace his face whenever he was in her presence - he was next to Sehun; where Sehun liked Luhan best.

"I'm not going to ask why you did that," Sehun breathed out. "Because I really enjoyed it."

"I'm sorry for being too forward," Luhan whispered. Sehun grinned and then ran his fingers through Luhan's soft hair.

"You should be forward more often, but with me though. Only me," Sehun stubbornly replied, following with a cheesy, heart-wrecking grin that always managed to make Luhan feel slightly blinded.

"Don't worry about me liking Mr. Kim's companion," Luhan replied shortly afterwards.

"Why? Is there someone you like already- and don't say Kai," Sehun chuckled.

"Kai is the least of them," Luhan replied.

"Them?" Sehun asked, pulling away.

"Master, you're over analysing," Luhan sighed. There was an agonizing split moment where there was only silence, before Sehun grinned again and laid himself down on Luhan's lap, making Luhan freak out.

"Stop moving!" Sehun growled as he tried to hold down Luhan's legs.

"Master Sehun, get up! I'm dirty! I've just been in the kitchen! You'll get sick an-"

"Oh shush," Sehun yawned. Sehun wasn't really tired, but the moment he yawned, Luhan stopped moving. He smirked to himself when Luhan couldn't see. Ha, he thinks I haven't seen the rules. Little does he know that I know that if the 'Young Master' is sleeping, you must not disturb him unless it is a scheduled time or if you have been requested to.

Then suddenly, there was a hand on his head, slowly patting him. Sehun wanted to stay up and just enjoy the feeling of Luhan's hands on his head, but Luhan must've been an expert at that sort of thing because within a few minutes, Sehun was already asleep.

 

July 8th, 1991

There was a knock at the door and Luhan slowly prised himself away from the sleeping master. He straightened down his clothes before approaching the door and opening it quietly. Mrs. Oh was standing there and she glanced in. When she saw her son sleeping, she sighed with a small grin on her face.

"Luhan, come into the hall and greet Mr. Kim's companion. The whole household is there. Sehun may see her later as he seems to be tired," Mrs. Oh requested and Luhan nodded. He quickly tip toed up to Sehun to cover him up with a blanket before quickly catching up with Mrs. Oh.

"I'm ready, Mrs. Oh," Luhan announced.

"You treat him very well, Luhan," Mrs. Oh sadly smiled. When she turned her back on Sehun to lead the way, Luhan was suddenly aware that Sehun and his mother never really spent a lot of time together. He would have to do something about that. Should he suggest it to Sehun?

They entered into the hallway where all the maids, butlers and workers were gathered. Mrs. Oh led Luhan through the crowd an into the middle were a young woman stood. She was pale in complexion and had blonde hair which had Luhan staring in awe. He had never seen blonde hair before. The lady had big brown eyes and wore next-to-none makeup. When Luhan and Mrs. Oh approached her, she bowed, making Luhan bow back instinctively.

"Jodi, this is our son's main servant, Luhan," Mrs. Oh introduced. Luhan held out his hand and Jodi shook it with a genuinely kind smile.

"Hi Luhan," she greeted in English. All of a sudden, all the English Sehun had taught him whenever Sehun would come back from school, came rushing up to him like lightning and he had the overwhelming urge to speak.

"Hi Jodi. You're from America? Which part?" Luhan asked, which earned many gobsmacked stares from everyone in the room, especially from Mr and Mrs. Oh.

"Wow, your English is very good. I'm from Washington. Have you been to America?" she replied. Luhan shook his head.

"Unfortunately, no. Master Sehun has not had many chances to visit outside of the region," Luhan said.

"You must come and visit some time. I could show you around if you do," she offered. Luhan laughed, which had most of the household members jump in fright.

"I would be honoured," Luhan replied. Luhan didn't learn that phrase from Sehun. He actually learnt that phrase off an American channel they had on the T.V. "I am very sorry. Master Sehun is asleep."

"That is fine, I can talk to you in the meantime, right?" she asked. Luhan didn't really understand the middle of her sentence, but he heard 'talk' and 'to you' so he sort of understood. He just smiled in response.

"Ah, I think I should ask someone to show you around," Luhan suggested.

"That would be great, thanks!" she cried. Luhan turned to Mrs. Oh who was staring at him intently with wide eyes.

"Mrs. Oh, she has requested for a tour of the house," Luhan told her. Mrs. Oh had to shake herself out of the shock before replying to him.

"Ah yes, of course. How rude of us? I'll have Kyungmi and Jessica take her luggage to her room. Why don't you show her around, Luhan?" Mrs. Oh ordered.

"As you wish," Luhan replied with a bow. Then he turned to Jodi and said, "I will show you around. Come with me."

"Gladly," Jodi replied.

 

"And this is the backyard," Luhan said. He said backyard in Korean so that she could get used to the names.

"Backyard..." she repeated uncertainly.

"Backyard," Luhan confirmed. He motioned to the whole space and she looked around in awe. She walked a bit further out before bending down to run a finger over a plant planted in a plot. Luhan suddenly felt sad as he imagined Mr. Lang weeding the plot. She stood up and placed her hands on her hips, before spinning around, a smile on her face.

"What is...uh...Master Sehun like?" Jodi asked. Luhan laughed a bit.

"You can call him 'Sehun.' You do not work for him," Luhan chuckled in reply. "He's like a child, so be kind."

"How old is he?" Jodi asked.

"He's sixteen," Luhan replied. "How old are you?"

"Eighteen. You are sixteen too, right?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. Luhan chuckled a bit.

"I am eighteen, Jodi," he replied, making her jaw drop in shock.

"You're kidding!" she cried. Luhan tilted his head to the side, not understanding. "I mean...uh...you are really eighteen?"

"Yes. Do I look younger?" Luhan asked. Jodi nodded hard in agreement.

"Can he speak English too?" Jodi asked. Luhan shook his head. "Oh, then how come you can speak English?"

"I learnt from Master Sehun. But he...he forget?" Luhan replied, testing out the English word on his tongue, forgetting the conjugated verb.

"Ah, he forgot. That's too bad," Jodi sighed. "Not many people speak English around here. It's only been Mr. Kim and you so far."

"That's sad," Luhan said. Jodi chuckled a bit.

"I'll teach you a phrase, Luhan. Say it with me! 'That's too bad,'" Jodi said. Luhan copied her a few times, testing out the sentence. "You can say it when something is...unfortunate?" The sudden Korean made him perk up. At least he understood now.

"Would you like to eat, Jodi? It's late," Luhan suggested. Jodi's stomach suddenly rumbled at the word 'eat' making both the teens burst out laughing.

"That's a great idea!" Jodi cried as she wrapped an arm around Luhan shoulder and they both strolled into the hall.

 

They walked in, both chatting and laughing away when Luhan suddenly saw a familiar figure appear in his peripheral vision. He stopped laughing and he quickly escaped from Jodi's hold, making her tilt her head in question. Then she looked ahead and saw someone standing there. She smiled and then bowed down in respect.

"You are...Sehun?" she asked and she looked at Luhan for confirmation.

"You are awake already, Master?" Luhan asked. He could feel Sehun's judging gaze on both of them.

"Who are you?" Sehun asked, directing it menacingly at Jodi. Jodi could suddenly feel the tense atmosphere and she chuckled nervously.

"My name is Jodi. I'm with Mr. Kim," Jodi replied nervously. She glanced at Luhan for help, but Luhan had his head held down.

"Why are you with my servant?" Sehun asked. Jodi suddenly looked stuck and she turned to Luhan for translation.

"He's asking why you were with me," Luhan informed her. Jodi suddenly made an 'O' face and nodded.

"I'm sorry! Luhan...was...help?" Jodi was struggling with her Korean and both boys could see it.

"Mrs. Oh requested me to tour Mr. Kim's companion," Luhan told Sehun. Sehun seemed to nod.

"Why did she have her arm around you?" Sehun asked. Luhan almost laughed because Sehun's jealous streak was coming out again.

"American showcase of affection," Luhan replied.

"She likes you and you didn't stop her?!" Sehun shouted, making Luhan wince. Jodi, who did not understand what was going on, suddenly looked frantic.  

"Please don't shout at him! We didn't do anything wrong! Was Luhan not allowed to tour me around? I'm sorry!" she rambled. The two boys ignored her.

"No, Master Sehun. Affection as like the bond between Miss. Hyoyeon and I," Luhan explained. Sehun breathed out at this and smiled. Then he walked forward and wrapped his arm around Luhan's waist, pulling him close towards him. Jodi's eyes bulged out at the sight.

"You had me worried," Sehun chuckled before nudging his shoulder against Luhan's.

"Are you guys...?" she trailed off, but Luhan was quick and onto it.

"No! Of course not!" Luhan cried out, shocking Sehun with the sudden burst of English. "Koreans are very...close together." Luhan didn't think it sounded right, but Jodi seemed to relax at it.

"You had me shocked there," Jodi breathed out. Sehun gave a questioning look at Luhan.

"She asked if we were gay," Luhan informed Sehun. Sehun furrowed his eyebrows.

"But you said no," Sehun replied.

"Was that the wrong answer, Master Sehun?" Luhan asked. Sehun coughed, suddenly remembering that their relationship status was supposed to be secret.

"No, of course not, Luhan. Please take Jodi to her room and then...quick-come-back-to-mine!" Sehun cried, before releasing his hold on Jodi and dashing away.

"He's younger than me, but oddly, he scares me," Jodi commented. Luhan chuckled a bit.

"He's cute, if you look closely," Luhan replied. Then he turned to her and nudged her. "Master Sehun asked me to take you to your room." Jodi clapped her hands in excitement.

 

"It's bigger than my room than back in the states," Jodi commented as she jumped onto her bed. Luhan winced at the sound of the bed creaking. "When I came to Korea, I expect  a flat roll-out futon on hard wooden floor. Not this."

"That's too bad," Luhan recited, ending up with a pillow being thrown at him.

"Yah! You can't do that!" Jodi cried in Korean, making it even funnier.

"I must go now. Enjoy your stay here, Jodi," Luhan said, already beginning to back out of the room.

"Come wake me up tomorrow," Jodi requested. Luhan was about to think against it when he suddenly remembered that tomorrow was Sunday - his day off.

"As you wish," Luhan replied and he finally stepped out and closed the door behind him. He could hear Jodi jumping around in her room and Luhan breathed out a held in breath.

Why do people keep on appearing now? Luhan cried to himself.

 


 

Hey guys, well the flippin layout has changed, so my font has changed. Just two messages:

 

You guys should so talk to me on tumblr. Soo-ssi on tumblr! Just ask me stuff or even just chat. I'm bored at home. Hahaha~

Also, my new story is out! I decided to leave the OC for later once I'm done with 'A Child's Game'.

The Gym ClubBaekyeol
Baekhyun wants to move on from the past, but it seems like the past is catching up to him.  

 

Ok, onto the comments:

SaphireSeptember - Muahahahahah XD

gorgeousoo - I was waiting for someone to think that.

EXO_SHINee - Yeah, unfortunately, BLB got deleted...so yeah...

Bright5 - You are a cool person.

JunRaeSun_13 - Uh....pffttttt...no

berna04 - Just kidding, ate!