001

A Child's Game

 

April 12, 1980

Oh Sehun’s fifth birthday was huge.

No exaggeration.

It was the age when he would be able to officially start schooling and that meant gaining knowledge. Sehun stood amongst his friends, standing in the middle of the dance floor, laughing and talking about new things.

Sehun was the son of the largest leading companies in Korea and his parents wanted the best for him.

Luhan stood in the deepest, darkest corner of the hall, his head down and his arms behind his back. He was told to stand like that by Mr. Kim.

“Where’s Luhan?” Sehun suddenly asked. His friend’s turned to him and frowned.

“Ew, that peasant boy?” Hyoyeon asked.

“He’s my best friend, Hyo.” Sehun replied.

“Still, he’s a peasant.” Hyoyeon turned her nose up.

“He’s here somewhere, Sehun. Probably serving some guests.” Eunhyuk placed a hand on Sehun’s shoulder. Sehun looked up at his hyung. Eunhyuk was about two years older than him, Luhan’s age. Sehun envied him. Sehun wanted to be as close to Luhan as possible.

“He’s only supposed to obey me, though.” Sehun frowned again.

“Don’t frown! It’s ugly!” Eunhyuk sighed. “Look, knowing Luhan, he’d probably be just doing it out of kindness.”

“Luhan would never fail me. I have to go! I need to find Luhan.” Sehun said and ran off. Hyoyeon tried to catch him, but failed.

“Luhan!” Sehun shouted. Luhan’s head popped up when he heard his name, but then put it back down. Then after a few seconds, he felt a hand on his shoulder and Luhan’s eyes looked up. There was Sehun, staring at Luhan with innocent eyes.

“Master.” Luhan nodded his head.

“Come dance with me.” Sehun said.

“It’s not my place.”

“That wasn’t a question! Come with me!” Sehun grabbed Luhan’s elbow, but before Sehun could even drag Luhan away, a hand stopped them.

“Aw dad!” Sehun pouted.

“Don’t bother Luhan. He needs to work.”

“But I want him to dance!” Sehun stomped his foot.

“Now, now. That isn’t how you should act. Let’s go say hello to Miss Hyuna.” Mr. Oh started dragging Sehun away towards a white table. At that table sat a thin woman wearing a beautiful navy gown and a handsome man wearing a clean tux. Sitting next to her mother was Miss. Hyuna. She was the same age as Sehun and was very beautiful, even for her age. She had shoulder length brown, wavy hair and pretty shaped eyes with heart shaped lips.

Luhan was sure that they were going to be in an arranged marriage.

Sehun looked back and saw Luhan watching. He wanted to send the older boy a smile, but Luhan quickly dipped his head, making Sehun frown.

 

Luhan sighed. Now that the party was over, he now had to clean up. Sehun was skipping through the hall when he saw Luhan.

“Luhan! Come and play with me!” Sehun called and tried to drag Luhan outside, but Luhan carefully pried himself away from the boy.

“I’m sorry, Master, but I must help out the others. It isn’t fair.” Luhan replied. Sehun understood. Then having an idea, Sehun ran over and grabbed a broom. He made an attempt at sweeping.

Sehun was sweeping rubbish in different directions when the broom was gently taken from him.

“Luhan!” Sehun frowned. Luhan shook his head at Sehun.

“No Master, this is not your line of work.” Luhan replied and handed the broom over to a maid.

“Why won’t you call me Sehun?!” Sehun stomped his foot.

“Because you are my Master.” Luhan replied.

 

Luhan was content. Now all he had to do was just chuck the garbage outside and he could rest. He walked out of the house to the end of the driveway and placed the rubbish by the road. He was about to go away when he saw a little shadow running towards him.

“Oh Sehun…” Luhan sighed as the younger boy jumped in Luhan’s arms.

“Luhan! Now play with me!” Sehun demanded.

“I have to go rest.”

“Play. With. Me.” Sehun stubbornly said. He had used his ‘Master’ voice, a voice Sehun only used when he really wanted something. Luhan gulped and nodded his head, knowing that if he declined the young Master, he’d be punished later by
Mr. Kim.

“As you wish.” Luhan replied and grabbed Sehun’s hand. Sehun then took Luhan over to the garden, right outside the hall.

“Let’s dance, Luhan!” Sehun cried when he heard the beautiful classical music playing lightly in the hall. Luhan flushed a bit and fiddled with his fingers.

“I can’t dance.” Luhan replied.

“Popopossscchhhheeeeerrriisss!” Sehun cried and Luhan smiled. “I will teach you. You must remember this or else I will have Mr. Kim punish you.” Luhan nodded his head frantically.

And April 12th became the day that Luhan first learned how to dance.

 

March 1st, 1988

Sehun hide underneath the long yellow grass, being careful not to make any sound. The wind was blowing fairly gently, giving the air a fresh feel.

“Luhan…where are you?” Sehun whispered and slowly crept forward. Then he thought he saw something move a bit ahead and pounced on it. Turned out to be a cat. “Hello kitty. Where is Luhan?” The cat turned towards the left and Sehun followed. There stood a tree.

Sehun got up and walked over to it and then looked behind it. There, Luhan was standing there, leaning against it. Sehun put his hands on his hips.

“You’re not even trying.” Sehun groaned.

“I’m not creative.” Luhan replied. “I’m sorry to disappoint you, Master.”

“No, no. It’s okay. I still had fun. Let’s just sit here, then.” Sehun smiled and they both laid down on the dry ground.

“Master-”

“Sehun.” Sehun corrected.

“Master Sehun,” Luhan began again. Sehun rolled his eyes in annoyance. Just once, he wanted his friend to feel comfortable. “Why do you hang out with me a lot?”

“Because you’re fun and like my brother.” Sehun replied immediately, like as if it was all planned and scripted.

“I’m not creative, I’m clumsy, I refuse to say your real name, I deny some of your requests at times and your father is very angry with me at the moment.” Luhan replied. Mr. Oh had recently found out that Luhan had accidently spilt dye on Sehun’s Sunday shirt. He blew his top off.

“I hang out with you because of all those things. Maybe, I could change that one day.” Sehun replied.

“That’s a big dream.” Luhan replied.

“Let’s dance.” Sehun suggested. Luhan raised an eyebrow.

“Why?”

“Because I feel like it.”

“There’s no music.”

“Well then we can concentrate more.”

“But-” but Luhan’s sentence was cut off, as Sehun pulled the boy to his feet.

“Remember what I taught you?” Sehun asked.

“How can you remember that?” Luhan asked.

“I taught you how to dance. It’s special.” Sehun shrugged and then began to sway with the sound of the wind’s whistles.

The boys stayed quiet as they just slowly danced to the wind. Little did they know, that a certain girl was watching them, eyeing them enviously.

“The wind is whistling for you.” Luhan whispered.

“Of course! Haven’t you heard?” Sehun smirked.

“What, Master?” Luhan asked.

“I’m the King of the winds.” Sehun replied.

“Oh really?” Luhan asked. Luhan’s thirteen year old mind was telling him that Sehun’s eleven year old mind was being a bit ridiculous. “Prove it then.”

“Why not?” Sehun stepped back and opened his arms. He closed his eyes and then smiled. “Winds! Blow!”

A few seconds later, a huge whip of wind hurled through the field, blowing Luhan’s hair in different sorts of directions while Sehun remained perfect.

“That’s not even half of what I can do!” Sehun smirked. “Blow harder!”

Then more wind came in. Wave after wave, with the force of a thousand horses, winds came hurtling towards Luhan at a dangerous speed. It actually ended up pushing Luhan over. Sehun gasped and then ran to grab his friend. At that moment, the wind died down a bit.

“Wow! Master, you are amazing!” Luhan clapped his hands.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asked. “Are you hurt?”

“Can you do that again?”

"Luhan, are you okay? Tell me if you are hurt anywhere!"

"That was so amazing! Do it again!"

“Luhan!” Sehun growled and Luhan cowered.

“I’m sorry, Master. I didn’t mean to make you angry.” Luhan bowed and then quickly dashed off before Sehun could say anything.

“Luhan…” Sehun mumbled as he watched his best friend grow smaller and smaller in the distance.

_____________________________________________

Word of the Day: Wind.