Chapter 2: Tour Time

Change

 

I heard the door open, and footsteps walk in my room. “Jeo Jeo…. Jeo Jeo… YAH! Jeo Jeo! Wake Up!” CL said shaking me awake.

“Huh what? What times is it?” I asked groggily with my eyes still closed. I squirmed in my bed and pulled the covers over my head.

“Its ten in the morning! It’s time for you to wake up.” She said pulling the blanket off me.”

“But mom I don’t wanna go to school….” I said breathing heavily

“Hey! I’m not your mom silly. Wake up already” she starting to poke me in the side. “Wake up. Wake up. WAKE UP!” She yelled this time she had gotten up and pulled open the curtains. Letting in the bright morning sun.

“AH YAH! It burns!” covering my eyes with Charlie.

“I wouldn’t have had to do that if you had gotten up earlier.” She said

“Yeah Yeah, I’m up.” I sat up and tried to fix my bed head curly hair. In the morning I knew I looked like I had stuck a finger in an electrical socket. There were two things that were different about CL and I. One was that she was always very bubbly and perky in the morning, and two was that she didn’t have to worry about hair that looked like one of those crazy troll dolls with the weird hair when she woke up.

I sighed and climbed out of bed.

“There you go!” she said, “Now get washed up and dressed. We are going on a tour.” Then walked out of my room and turned towards hers.

“mehhhh…” was all I could get out of my mouth.

 

------------

 

After we got washed up and dressed, both CL and I got into her car and set off on our adventure. We started to drive down the streets of Seoul, heading towards the school.

“Ah it’s just like old times, when you and I would go on our crazy adventures.” She said with a peaceful look on her face.

“Ahhh do you mean the Triple A’s we use to go one?”

“Uhhhhh yeah that’s what I’m referring to.” We both laughed

“Oh those Triple A’s they were great, that’s what we called it instead of saying Amazing Asian Adventure.”

“What crazy kids we were. Oh how I miss them.” The then glanced at me with a smile on her face.

“Oh no! I know that look. What are you planning?” I said smiling at her.

“kekekeke” she snickered “You will have to wait and see.” She said with a devilish look in her eyes.

“Oh boy, I’m in for it today.”

We had just arrived at the school. All the large buildings stood tall and silent, not a student to be seen anywhere. I just looked around and took it all in. “Wow…..” was all I managed to say.

“Yep this is school. Don’t worry” she said putting her arm around me, “You see it’s summer right now and students aren’t in classes at the moment. So it is really quiet.”

“No really Sherlock I didn’t know.” I said sarcastically, CL then glared at me. It had become a stare down. We both stared intensely at each other when we both burst out into laughter.

“Come on lets walk around.”

“Okay, tell me about the school then.” I said and we began to walk around, the school wasn’t too large, and it was more for the arts. It was a high school academy and a university at the same time. The school was also private, but if you weren’t a high school student you didn’t have to wear a uniform. This made me extremely happy; I had to wear a uniform in high school and didn’t like it at all. “So much for not going to a private school.” I thought to my self. CL had explained what each building was for. She told and showed me the music building, the dance building, the art building, and then a very large building that had majority of the general studies located in them.

“This is the castle building you can see why its called that, since it looks like one. It is the biggest building on campus, and houses the high school academy one the west wing, and the university general studies in the east wing.” CL pointed in each direction, showing me, which side was the high school and which was the university.

“Wow… this is incredible.”

“Yeah it’s such a beautiful campus with all the fountains and architecture of the buildings. You can really tell it is a university that specializes in the arts.” She said, “So you got to see the school, how about now we get lunch?” she asked raising one eyebrow.

“Sounds good to me but first I have to get my schedule.”

“Oh yeah that’s right I almost for got, lets get you to the main office so you can get that in order so your ready for the first day and all since school starts in a week.”

“Yeah that would be a good idea.”

We both walked into the castle building. The ceiling was tall, the floor had marble tile, and there was woodcarvings framing every doorway. Gold trim lined the floor and ceiling. The hallways were large and empty. The inside of the building was even more spectacular then the outside.

“It’s amazing how empty it is” CL stated, “It is usually crowded beyond belief.”

“I’m not even thinking about that, I’m looking at the design of everything in here.”

“Yeah its very old style, and classic beauty. The school takes pride in the beauty of art, especially in and outside the buildings.” She stated another fact about the school.

I started to walk down the hallway. “Where do you think you’re going?” she said to me.

“The main office.” I said

“Um you’re going the wrong way, it’s this way.” She pointed in the opposite direction than where I was heading.

“Oh…” I turned around and walked with her the other direction the walk seemed long, but it must have been because I was looking around, and didn’t know my way around.

“Finally, here we are.” She said as we walked into the main office. There was a lady sitting at a desk in the front. She had straight black hair that was tied up in a bun, and glasses. She seemed to look like she was in her fifties, or at least around the same age as my parents.

She looked up to us and said, “Annyeonghaseyo ladies what may I help you with?”

CL and I bowed and both said “Annyeonghaseyo” then CL continued “This is my cousin Jung Jeo Jeo she is a transfer student here and would like to get her schedule for classes before next week.”

“hmmm let’s see what I can do for you,” the lady said as she typed on the keyboard, “Ah here we go Jung Jeo Jeo, it says here that you haven’t declared a major yet. Is this still correct?”

“Uh sort of” I replied, “I was thinking possibly dance and music, but I haven’t quite decided yet, I know its something along those lines.”

“I see well… what I can do for you is put you in the general studies classes since you still need to finish up those credits. And place you in both a dance and music class.” She said looking up to me. I didn’t really know what to say, and I didn’t know what to do. 

“That sounds good to me” I said with a smile, “What type of classes would I need for my general studies?”

“Well right now you need, Life Science, mathematics, and English. Then for your two other classes you will be in Beginner/Intermediate dance. Then it depends on what kind of music class you would like to be in.” she said with a kind expression on her face.

“Oh… what kinds of music classes are there?”

“The school offers all different kinds such as vocal training, all kinds instrument training, history of music, and then classes on different genres.” She replied, “What kind of class would you like to be in?”

I paused for a moment. I didn’t know what to take and I turned to CL. “What do you think? I’m not sure.”

“Well it’s entirely up to you” CL said smiling, “I’m taking vocal training, and how to write and produce songs.”

“Oh, that sounds interesting…” I looked at the lady as she sat quietly “Can I take that class?” I asked her.

“I’m sorry Miss, but you cannot take that class unless you take the vocal training first, it is a prerequisite for that class. Would you like me to place you in that class? Or do you want to try another?”

“Oh… that class sounds fine, I’ll take that one.” I replied, the lady nodded and started to type on the keyboard. She printed off a paper and handed it to me.

“Here you go Jung Jeo Jeo” she said handing me the paper. “I placed you in Biology, Calculus, and English 400. These were based on the next classes you needed to take after the ones you completed in America.” She smiled to me.

“kamsahamnida” I said as I bowed to her

“Oh before you go I forgot to tell you that all your classes would be taught in English. All classes here at this institution are taught in English; here we take pride in our student being able to communicate with others abroad.”

“Oh well that makes things much easier.” I said, CL and I chuckled a bit and even the secretary did too.  “Once again kamsahamnida for all your help I really appreciate it. I will do my best to uphold to the universities standards.” I said as CL and I exited the office. 

 

-----------------------

Once back in the car we headed for lunch. We ended up eating beef bulgogi and talked. Catching up on all the stories we had to share with each other. It really was just like old times again. I loved spending time with CL.
 “It was really hard for me after you moved, and it was hard for me to make friends with others at school. They thought I was weird, so I became an outcast. Most of my friends are Asian back home; they were the only ones I felt comfortable around. It must have been how I was raised.” I said to her she looked at me with sad eyes

“well it definitely was how you were raised.” She said. “Jeo Jeo you were raised by two Korean immigrants who happen to be my sungmo and my sukbu. That had moved to America, and adopted you into their family making you my sachon.”

 “Yeah but I was made fun of. The kids at school called me ‘The Egg’ I began to embrace the fact that they called me ‘The Egg’ at school. The people at school said it was because I was ‘white on the out side and Yellow on the inside.’ At first I found it offensive, but then when I told eomma and appa they laughed ad said it was true. They told me ‘Be who you are, and stay true to yourself, don’t change because someone wants you to.’ so I listen to them and now I’m here”

“I’m glad you’re here, who needs those crazy people from America anyway.” CL said and we both laughed. 

The next week went by so fast, before i knew it school was going to start.