Chapter 29: The Fall of Nabbeun

Change

 

Jeo Jeo's View

I stared Nabbeun down. I wasn’t afraid of him. I saw Yongguk get to his feet, and he stumbled a little. I knew he was hurt, and I had to do something.

“You couldn’t shoot me even if you wanted to.” Nabbeun taunted with and evil grin.

“Just watch me.” I said, placing my finger on the trigger. Time seemed to slow, as I pulled back on the trigger.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A gunshot sounded, and I stared at Nabbeun with a feeling of anger, and relief. The bullet tore through his right arm, spraying blood into the air, and causing him to scream out in pain.

“I underestimated you.” Nabbeun said, breathing heavily, “You are a person who knows what they want.” He clutched his arm, covering the wound.

“Never underestimate me! It’s now your downfall.” I replied, as he staggered towards me. He stood up straight as if he wasn’t even shot.

“Like I said, I am superior to you. Even though my body doesn’t heal as fast as it use to, it still heals faster than the average human.” He said walking towards me.

“Stand back!” I said, “This time I won’t hesitate to shoot you between the eyes!” I threatened. My heart was pounding and all I could hear was it beat. All other sounds from around the warehouse ceased for the moment.  I looked behind him to see, a man coming from behind Yongguk as he stared in horror at me. “Yongguk behind you!” I yelled, and he turned to protect himself from the man. At the same time as I said that Nabbeun managed to grab a hold of my arms, removing the gun from my grasp. I tried to break free. My energy was draining, and the strength to keep fighting depleted every second I fought against him. The only think that kept me going was trying to protect Appa and Yongguk. I didn’t care if anything happened to me as long as they were all right. I dropped the other gun I had picked up off one of the other men, and it slid across the floor. I knew the only chance I had at winning was to use the knife I had found. I swung my leg around kicking him upside the head. Nabbeun stumbled to the side. I had caused him to have a bloody nose. He placed his hand under it, wiping the blood from his face.

“Now that wasn’t very nice!” Nabbeun said, charging towards me. I pulled out the knife, and opened the blade. I held it out against him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Hasn’t anyone ever taught you, that you never bring a knife to a gun fight.” He said pulling his gun out from the back of his pants.

“Not unless I’m within ten feet of you!” I said, charging at him. He tried to shoot the gun, but didn’t have enough time. I had reached him before he knew it, and took the knife pushing it into his shoulder. I backed away as fast as I could. Nabbeun just stood there shocked at what I did. To be truthful I was shocked at what I did. I didn’t think I would be able to do it.

“No you have made me angry.” He said pulling the knife out. “You’re going to pay!”
He ran towards me, and I looked at the gun across the room. I began to run for it, and he chased me. I tripped falling forwards. I was only a couple meters away from the gun. I crawled as fast as I could to it. Picking it up in my hands, I climbed to my feet as fast as I could.

I turned towards Nabbeun, and in that split second. I heard Yongguk yell, “Jeo Jeo!” I looked at Nabbeun; he had a devilish look in his eyes. He had an evil grin on his face. I didn’t have the chance to use the gun. I felt a sharp pain in my gut. My breath escaped my lungs. I stood there frozen.

“NOO!” Yongguk’s voice yelled.

Nabbeun laughed, “It’s over for you…” He said. I looked down to see the knife inside of me. I struggled to breath, and staggered backwards. Falling to the ground, my breathing became shallow. My heart raced inside of my chest. I began to cough, gasping for air. I lied on the ground, lifting my hand up to see the blood that covered it. I felt dizzy, and the room began to spin. My vision became blurry, and I turned my head towards Yongguk. I saw the horror in his eyes. I saw the pain, he felt. His eyes seemed to flash red, just like they had in my dream. It had to be from the loss of blood. I thought I began to see things. I struggled to breathe. I saw Yongguk kill the other man, and he ran towards Nabbeun. He growled, like an animal. I looked back up at Nabbeun, and he stared at me with a sadistic evil smile. My eyes began to feel heavy, and I fought to keep them open. I used the last of my strength to stay awake, but ultimately the darkness took me…

 

Yongguk’s Point of View

I saw her lying on the ground. I ran towards my enemy, letting out a growl. I have never in my life felt his angry before. I didn’t even feel human anymore. All I wanted was blood to spill, and by blood his. I wanted to tear him apart limb by limb. I wanted to make it painful, and forever imprint my face in his mind. He had hurt the one I loved, and I wouldn’t let him get away with it. I lunged at him, tackling him to the ground. I began to beat him. Every time I punched him, he laughed.

“What are you laughing at?” I growled spitting in his face. I grabbed him by the shirt collar lifting him slightly off the ground.

“Now you’ve lost everything. You have turned out just like me.” He said with the smile.

“Remove that smile from your face or I will do it for you!” I growled, throwing him to the ground. When he hit the ground he let out a grunt. “How dare you compare me to you! How dare you hurt the one person that means the world to me!”

“Look at yourself. You’ve become the monster I am. If you kill me there is no turning back.”

“I will never be anything like you! I’m nothing like you! I don’t kill innocent people! I’ve never killed anyone until tonight! And you will be the last!” I growled, and began to shake. I was filled with anger. My body was hot, and it burned with the passion of revenge.

“Look at your reflection.” My enemy said, “You are no longer human. Your eyes are the color of blood. And that’s all you wish to see, me dead.” He pointed at the silver machinery, which showed my reflection. I looked at where he was pointing. I saw him and myself in it, our reflections. I saw my eyes. Just as he said they were red, not just any color red, but a color red just like blood. I froze, staring at myself in the reflection. This couldn’t be me. I wasn’t anything like this. This isn’t humanly possible. I couldn’t be seeing what I thought I was.

“What don’t like what you’ve become?” He said smiling a crooked smile up to me. I backed away off of him. I stumbled back staring at my reflection. I couldn’t grasp it. I couldn’t believe it was me. “This is what happens with people like us. Once we kill, we have to keep on doing it. It’s like salvation to our souls trapped in our bodies. That’s what your father was afraid of. He had created a monster without knowing it, and making his own son one of them.”

“Your wrong,” I said, but my voice broke. “I’m not a monster!” I tried to keep him from getting in my head, but it wasn’t working.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Your eyes say it all, the genetic mutation that caused us to have super human abilities, also causes our eyes to change to the color red when we are angry. It has to do with the blood that’s in our bodies rushing at such a high pressure. It reaches our Irises turning the color of blood.” He said with a smile, “If only she could see you as this monster. She would hate you, and fear you!”

“No! She’s not like that!” I said pulling out the gun I had, “You will not take her from me!”

“News flash I already did. She’s gone, and you will be soon.” He said coming at me. “This time I won’t fail to end you. Do you remember how I killed your family?” He taunted getting closer to me.

“I won’t ever forget. Yes, I remember.” I said holding the gun up to him.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I fired it, the bullet tore right though him. I fired again, shooting him right through the heart. I continued to shoot him until he it the ground. Rage flooded my body as I looked down at his lifeless body. It was all over now. I dropped the gun, and ran to Jeo Jeo’s side. I scooped her up into my arms. Pulling her close to me. She barely breathed.

“Come on Jeo Jeo. Open your eyes! Stay with me! Stay with me! Look at me!” I said to her rocking her motionless body in my arms. “Please stay with me!” I said, I felt the tears drop down from my eyes. I looked at her, I was afraid of loosing the one thing that meant the most to me. I caressed the side of her face, leaning in to kiss her forehead. “Hang in there Jeo Jeo, help’s on the way.” Her eyes fluttered open, and she looked up to me.

“Is it over?” She asked barely able to speak.

“Yes… He can’t hurt you anymore.” I said holding her tightly against my chest.

“Your eyes… They are…”

“I know, I’ll explain it to you later. I know they are blood colored. I love you more than anything in the world, just please fight it. Stay with me.”

“Yongguk…” She said gasping for air, “I love you, and… I’m sorry.” She said as her voice turned to a whisper.

Her eyes began to shut, “No!” I said shaking her, “Stay awake, you have to stay awake.”

“I can’t fight…” She said, and her eyes closed.
“No!” I cried, “Stay with me! Stay with me! You have to stay with me!” The tears fell from my eyes as I held her close to me. I carried her out of the warehouse. I saw Mr. Jung in an ambulance unconscious. The paramedics came rushing up to me at that very moment, pulling her out of my arms. “I have to go with her!” I cried.

The other paramedic kept me away from her, “You need to be looked at yourself. You can’t go with her.” He said forcing me away from the ambulance that she was loaded up into. “What’s wrong with your eyes?” He asked, and I refused to answer him. The Paramedics pushed me into another ambulance, closing the doors, and leaving for the hospital.