Chapter 32: Recovery

Change

 

I saw nothing but darkness, as I struggled to breathe. I moved my head back and fourth, gasping for air. I felt a pain in my chest, and a pressure as if an elephant were stepping on it. I felt tears drop down my cheeks. I inhaled as best as I could, using all the muscles and strength in my body to do so. I heard voices of people around me. I heard a beeping sound, and pure chaos. My eyes fluttered open, and the bright white light burned my eyes. At first I thought I was dead, but then I saw Yongguk’s face above me. Out of all the commotion I heard him say, “Breathe Jeo Jeo. Breathe. Come back to me, you’re almost here, keep fighting back to me.”

I felt his warm hands on my right hand, as his lips gently brushed against it. Breathing became easier as time passed. I kept my eyes open looking into Yongguk’s eyes that were reddish brown. My heart rate decreased to normal, and I sat quietly as the doctors checked on me. I saw my parents smiling, and I knew why. They thought I was going to die. I felt a strange presence, and I knew it was my parents. I heard a voice, “Unnie, Take care of Yongguk Oppa.” Dambi said to me and it faded into the noise of the room.

I couldn’t keep my eyes open any longer, drifting into sleep.

 

I had been out for hours, when I woke up I saw Yongguk sitting in a chair, leaning over onto the hospital bed. His eyes were closed, and he breathed deeply. He was a sleep, and he looked so peaceful. He had dark bags under his eyes, and there was a faint sign of bruising on his cheek. I lifted my hand and gently the side of his cheek where the bruise was. I knew it had to be from the struggle. Judging by the look of his wounds it had to be a couple weeks since the incident. I was confused about the time and date. I didn’t know what day it was, or what month. I didn’t know how long I had been unconscious. I traced his features with my fingers, and as I did so I saw the corners of his lips lift upwards. He had a small smile on his face while he was sleeping. I didn’t want to wake him, so I sat there quietly. I tried to move as little as possible, attempting to bend down towards him to kiss him on the cheek. When I did this I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. I whined, and sat back up. “That was a bad idea.” I said to myself. I began to feel a throbbing in my abdomen. I looked down, and saw some blood soaking through the hospital gown. I shifted my weight, so I could lift it up so see what caused it. I looked down, and saw that I had torn the stiches. I started to look for the nurse button, but I couldn’t find it. While I was shifting around in the bed looking for the remote, I caused Yongguk to stir in his sleep. I paused for a moment, “Stay asleep,” I said to him, hoping he wouldn’t wake up. He breathed in deeply stirring in his sleep. I held my breath and didn’t move. Yongguk lifted his head up, and his eyes slightly opened. I stared at him, ‘please go back to sleep.’ I thought. He looked up at me, with his eyes half opened. He blinked opening his eyes fully. He sat up, and smiled at me.

“I didn’t mean to wake you up.” I said, “Please go back to sleep.”

“No, it’s okay, I’m happy to see that you’re awake.” He said leaning in to kiss me on the lips. His lips against mine felt amazing; it was almost like I had forgotten how it felt. He placed his one hand on the right side of my face, and the other on the side of my torso. His hand moved across my abdomen, and stopped on top of my stiches. I flinched from the pain, and he pulled back quickly.

“What’s wrong?” He asked and his eyes were worried. He looked down at where his hand was and quickly moved it away. He glanced at the blood on the gown, and then down at his hand. My blood had soaked through it, and had gotten on his hand.

“You’re bleeding.” He said, “Why didn’t you tell me.” And he ran out of the room to get a nurse.

I sat there in silence for a moment. I stared at the door, waiting for him to come in. The nurse came in and he followed.

“Where are you bleeding?” She asked me, and before I could say anything I was cut off.

“She’s bleeding on the abdomen.” Yongguk said.

“Alright lets take a look.” The nurse said, lifting up the gown. “It appears that you had torn your stiches, it’s nothing to serious. Let me get the doctor, so we can stich you back up.”

“Okay,” I replied, and she left the room. I looked up at Yongguk giving him a death glare. “Really? You over reacted.” I said to him.

He stared at me with hard eyes, and walked over to me. “I’m never going to let something happen to you again, and you’re bleeding.”

I sighed, “I know… You’re just worried about me.”

“That’s exactly it. And I have a right to be.” Yongguk said, “I just don’t want to go through it again, and I don’t want to lose you.”

“I know,” I said, and he leaned in towards me.

“I love you,” He said, and I put my arms around his neck, and he wrapped his arms around me.

I smiled looking into his eyes,  “I love you too.” I said planking a kiss on his lips. He deepened the kiss, pulling me closer to him just like before.

We heard voices outside of the room, and he pulled his head away creating space between us. The doctor walked in with my parents, and came over to stitch up my wound that I tore open. Once he was done, he told me to rest. I sat in the room, and my friends came to visit me. CL and Himchan came first, and stayed with Yongguk and I for a few hours. We talked about school, and shopping. Later that night the girls came to visit me, and so did the guys. They all brought me either flowers, and get well soon cards. Zelo was the only one who brought something different. He brought me a card and a stuffed bear. Inside the card it read, ‘Dear Noona. I am so happy you’re alive and healthy. You are my favorite Noona, get better soon, I miss you a lot, and I have to tell you funny stories about the hyungs. Love your lover and favorite boyfriend Zelo.’ I smiled when I read the card, and Yongguk laughed.

“You know he thinks that you belong to him,” Yongguk stated. 

“Yeah… It’s cute, but I know he’s just kidding.”  I replied with a smile. “Look the bear is super cute, and it’s kinda creepy that its cute like him…”

“Do I have to worry that you are going to rob the cradle?” He asked with a smile.

I smacked him on the arm, “No! I think of him like a little brother. I actually wouldn’t mind having him as my brother.”

“You don’t live with him. You have only seen him on his best behavior. He’s the rebellious maknae, and I would know. Trust me.” Yongguk replied with a smile. I leaned over giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“Ehh… I don’t know, he doesn’t seem as bad as you say.” I teased. I knew the truth about Zelo; he really is a troublemaker, and likes to rebel against his hyungs a lot, causing trouble for Yongguk.

 

An hour later Daehyun and Melia came to visit. It was dinnertime, and they brought Yongguk and I dinner.

“You guys didn’t have to do that.” I said to them.

“We know we just really wanted to.” Daehyun said, “Besides the hospital food can’t be all that good.”

I laughed, “Only you Daehyun.” I said standing up to hug him. Yongguk watched my every move, making sure I was okay.

“I’ve really missed you.” He said whispering in my ear. “Don’t do anything stupid, and get yourself into a situation like that again. I couldn’t bare losing a friend like you.”

“I know. But I can’t promise you anything like that.” I said whispering back in his ear.

“I know, you can’t control unexpected events like the one that put you in here. But you have to be more careful.”  He said looking me in the eyes. I nodded in agreement; fighting with Daehyun has become useless. He always would win, and he always had the reason to.  

I sat back down on the bed, “Well I’m hungry what did you bring?” I asked with a smile patting my stomach.

“All kinds of things.” Melia said, “I figured that by now you would be tired of Korean food so I made focaccias, bringing you the taste of Italia.”

“Oh wow! Thank you. That sounds really good, I haven’t had one since I was in America.” I said. 

“And I brought you bulgogi, I know it’s your favorite Korean dish.” Daehyun added.

“I’m not going to lie, but they both don’t really go together all that well.” I said laughing, “but I will still eat it. Thank you so much.”

“Let’s eat then.” Melia said, pulling the food out of the bag. She fixed me my plate and sat it down in front of me. She then did the same for Yongguk and Daehyun. My parents came in to check up on me after talking with the Police, NIS, and doctors about what happened and my health. Melia then also made them each a plate, and we all ate together. I looked at the amount of food Melia and Daehyun made and said, “You brought enough food to feed and army.” Then everyone laughed.

“Yeah, we thought that Dara, Bom, Minzy, CL, CL’s parents, Himchan, and the rest of the guys would be here too. I guess we missed them.” Melia explained.

“It was very nice of you and Daehyun to do this.” Appa said, “We are very grateful.”

“Yes, We have heard so much about you.” Eomma said, “It’s really nice that you and Jeo Jeo can relate, after all you both were raised in America.”

“Yeah, but it’s different. I was raised as a Korean.” I said, “So it’s a bit different.”

“Oh honey don’t be silly,” Appa interjected, “You guys can talk about things in America and can relate to how it is there. The rest of your friends here can’t”

Yongguk smiled, “He’s right, I’ve never been to America. So I wouldn’t know.” He said to me.

“It’s true, I don’t think any of us have.” Daehyun said, “The only ones who’ve been there are You, Melia, Bom, and CL. Which you all have lived there except for Bom.”

“Well, when summer comes you boys can come to visit and stay with us.” Eomma said with a smile. Appa was in shock when she said that. “We have plenty of room in our house to accommodate them Byunghun.”

“That’s not what I was worried about.” Appa said, looking at Yongguk.

“Appa!” I exclaimed.

“What? I don’t want him staying in your room. It’s not right.” He said.

I made a face at him, “Seriously? Like I was going to ask for him to sleep in my room with me? Appa you know me better than that!”

Yongguk’s face was emotionless, as he continued to eat. Daehyun was very amused by the conversation-taking place, and Melia was shocked.

“Melia, you’re going to have to get use to it. My family is always like this.” I said.

“No, it’s alright. I’m just surprised at how much alike our families are.” She replied.

“Really?” Daehyun asked with wide eyes, and now he was beginning to look worried.

Yongguk looked at him and began to chuckle. “You’re going to be in the hot seat too. How does it make you feel? Not so funny anymore?”

“Aish… It’s only funny when it happens to you hyung.” Daehyun said softly crossing his arms.

“What I was saying is, if Yongguk sshi and the rest of the boys come to say they have to be in their own rooms. I don’t care if the sleep with each other in the same bed. I just don’t want one of them in bed with my daughter.” Appa said once again giving a glare to Yongguk.

Yongguk smiled, “I wasn’t planning on sleeping in the same bed.” He said, “But it’s not like it hasn’t happened before.”

My mouth dropped, and Daehyun laughed. Melia’s facial expression was priceless, and Eomma looked worried.

Appa’s eyes widened, “Aish! You!” He stood up pointing at Yongguk. “You slept with my daughter! Why I’m gonna kill you myself.” He continued to move closer to Yongguk.

“Appa!” I exclaimed, but he ignored me.

“It’s not what you are thinking.” Yongguk said with a smile. “We were all hanging the night before the winter recital. We were watching a movie, and Jeo Jeo fell asleep. By the time it was over, it was too late for the girls to drive home, so they stayed at my place for the night.”

“That doesn’t explain why you two were in the bed!” Appa said angrily.

“I carried her to my room. I didn’t want her to sleep on the floor or couch. So I put her in my bed.” He said, and Appa’s face didn’t at all ease up.

“But why were you in the bed with her?” Appa asked, and it almost sounded like a growl.

At this point Appa and Yongguk were both standing up, face to face, and Appa looked like he was ready to strangle my boyfriend.

“I didn’t have anywhere else to sleep, so I crawled in bed with her. Nothing happened, I didn’t do anything to Jeo Jeo, and I didn’t take advantage of her either. I wouldn’t do that to her.” Yongguk said explaining himself.

“Yah you should know sleepovers with your boyfriend always lead to trouble.” Appa said, glaring at me.

“Yeah and the trouble we ran into was being ambushed with marshmallow guns.” I said, “That’s all.”

“Byunghun just let it go. It’s not going to happen again. Right?” Eomma said giving me the look that all parents do when they scold their children.

“Ne Eomma, It won’t ever happen again. I promise.” I said to her.

“Yah! You too,” Appa said pointing to Yongguk.

“Ne, I promise.” He said.

“Good now that everything is settled, we can focus on you recovery.” Appa said looking at me.

A few more days passed until I was released from the hospital. I wasn’t allowed to do any physical activity, and become stressed. I was told to take an easy, and rest for the next couple of weeks.

As time went on, and the days passed, Yongguk and everyone else treated me like I was a princess. They wouldn’t let me do anything. When I would get up to get something, they would sit me back down and go get it for me. It really started to get on my nerves, but I knew they meant well. I was just praying that I could finally be allowed to do things for myself again.

Once school started again, people I didn’t even know came up to ask how I was doing. It was strange, but they only knew because of the news report. It was nice that they asked, but it was even stranger when they asked about how it felt to be in that situation. I would just tell them I didn’t want to talk about it, because it was something I didn’t want to relive. My parents had gone back to America, and I still called and talked to them everyday. The school year went on like normal. Yongguk and I were closer than ever before.