Chapter 22: A Walk Though The Park, And A Criminal Is Caught

Change

 

The rest of our Christmas family celebration came to and end, we cleaned up as much as we could, and went to bed. Seeing Yongguk dance and sing to the Wonder girls’ Be My Baby with, Appa, Jihoon, Daniel, and Sukbu, was hilarious. I knew that I would never let him forget it…

The next day consisted of us cleaning, and putting away the things we used at the party. After we finished, CL, Yongguk, our parents sat in the family room, watching TV and talking. The news came on once again, and we all watched.

On the news the news reporter said, “Regarding the recent disappearances, two more bodies have been found. It has been confirmed that the two female college students both died by strangulation. The police have started working with the National Intelligence Service, NIS to catch this killer. The NIS believes has profiled the suspect, believing that person who has committed these crimes is a male in his late thirties, to early forties. He is also not working alone. The suspect is educated and has a background in the service or government affairs. If you have any information that can help further the investigation contact the police. Any information can help the police, and the NIS to catching this criminal. On another note our prayers and hearts go out to the girls’ families who have passed on, and who haven’t been found.”

“Wow, this is starting to get bad.” Sungmo said.

“I agree. Girls I would feel better if you stay here until they catch that man.”  Sukbu said, “It would be safer if you live here for the time being.”

“But Appa it’s too far from school. It will take too long to get to and from school if we stay here.” CL stated, “And we have Melia rooming with us. We can’t leave her there alone.”

“Yeah, She might not know what is going on, she’s back home in America for the holidays.” I added.

“You’re Sukbu’s right.” Eomma said, “I would feel more comfortable if you stayed here.”

“Exactly, it’s only until they catch him, it won’t be too long.” Appa added.

“At the rate they are moving, it might take forever.” CL said, “Bodies are piling up and they haven’t figured out anything new.”

“Give it time. Every criminal is eventually caught.” Eomma said.

“They never caught the man who killed my family.” Yongguk said, after he was sitting quietly next to me. “If they couldn’t catch him with knowing what he looked like, they won’t be able to catch this guy.”

We all fell silent. Appa’s eyes stared hard at Yongguk, “What if it’s the same guy?” Eomma said, trying to ease the tension in the room.

“It might very well be.” Sungmo added, “Like Byunghun said, everyone eventually gets caught.”

“I doubt that, the man who killed my family wanted something I didn’t even know what he was talking about.” Yongguk said.

“Anyway, what’s the plan for today.” I said changing the subject.

“We were just going to relax today after an eventful last night from these two babos” Sungmo said looking at Sukbu and Appa.

“Yes, Yongguk sshi we are very sorry about what they had you do last night. I hope you weren’t embarrassed.” Eomma said looking towards us.

Yongguk grew a smile on his face remembering what happened last night. “It’s alright, it wasn’t that bad.” Yongguk said to Eomma.

“Yeah thank god Appa didn’t make you do the U-Kiss dance and Beyoncé’s single ladies, because I probably would have gone blind on the spot. No actually I think I did…” I added to the conversation, and everyone laughed.

“Yah it wasn’t that bad! It was a little something to make you ladies happy.” Appa said with a crooked smile.

“No Sukbu it really was bad. You, Appa, and Jihoon scared us for life.” CL said, “We didn’t need to see that.”

“Aww Come on. Honey, was it really that bad?” Appa asked Eomma.

“Byunghun it’s not that I don’t love you, I do, but it was something we didn’t need to see.” Eomma said, and us girls laughed.

“Aww… We made ourselves look like babos” Sukbu said.

“Look? You are babos.” Sungmo corrected.

“Yah, Yah, Yah, that’s not very nice.” Appa said.

“Okay…” CL said, “Eomma, Appa, Himchan is coming over today so please be appropriate.”

“You know we always are.” Sukbu said, “Yongguk sshi do you know Himchan? Is he a good man for my baby girl?”

“Ne, Himchan is my best friend, and he’s one of my roommates.”

“Ah good. Good. I approve of you so if he’s anything like you I will be most likely to accept him.” Sukbu replied

 

Later that day Himchan had come over to visit. We caught up with each other and talked about our holidays. Some how Appa managed to get a video of the little performances they put on last night. Then he proceeded to show Himchan, scaring him for life with the Beyoncé dance. CL, Himchan, Yongguk, and I all went for a walk in the park. It was a beautiful sunny day despite the cold weather. Yongguk kept his arm around me the whole time. He knew that I got cold easily due to my low blood pressure. There has been many times where I have gotten so light headed that I almost passed out. I shivered in my winter jacket that made me look like a fat penguin at the North Pole. I wore gloves, a scarf, and a hat to try to stay warm.

“Yah! Jeo Jeo, a little cold?” Himchan asked teasing me.

“Yeah, I’m like a popsicle.”

“It’s not even really that cold out. It’s one of the warmer days, and the sun is shining?” He said with a menacing smile. 

“She get’s cold easily.” CL said kissing him on the cheek, “it’s not her fault she’s broken in the thermostat department. She even freezes in the middle of summer.”

Yongguk laughed, and I glared at him. “What? It was funny.” He said looking at me innocently.

“Do you really freeze in the summer?” Himchan asked surprised.

“Yeah she does it will be like thirty-two degrees (90 degrees F) and she will wear a hoody to school.” CL added leaning into Himchan.

“Are you serious?” Himchan asked surprised, his eyes were wide and he couldn’t believe what he just heard.

“Ummm… Yeah, that’s because the air conditioning at school is too cold.” I said shivering again.

“If you have to wear it to stay warm than do it.” Yongguk said to me, “Even though it is abnormal.”

“Hey! First it’s a health condition. Second there is nothing wrong with being abnormal. I think its more fun than being ‘normal” I said with my quotation fingers.

Yongguk pulled me closer to him, and I leaned on him. “Your cheeks are red.” He said looking down, placing his bare hand on the side of my face. The warmth from his hand against my skin felt nice. “Wow you really are cold.”

“I told you, and you all didn’t believe me.” I pouted.

Yongguk and I had fallen behind CL and Himchan. We stopped walking, stopping to look at the scenery of the park. Yongguk put his arms around me, and pulled me into a hug. His jacket was ped, and I wrapped my arms around him inside of it. He smiled down upon me, pulling my chin up. He leaned in and kissed me on the lips. His were warm against mine. Yongguk then deepened the kiss, pulling me against his chest.

“Yah!” Himchan called, but we just ignored him. The next thing we knew was both Yongguk and I were being attacked with snowballs. We pulled apart quickly, and began to run to the tree behind us. I stood behind the tree, and Yongguk bent down gathering snow in his hand, and forming a snowball.

“Watch this.” He said, throwing the snowball towards Himchan, and hitting him in the shoulder.

“Oh it’s on!” CL said, and she bent down to make a snowball.

We laughed, “We’ll see which couple comes out on top.” Himchan said.

“Start making snowballs.” Yongguk said, and we both bent down forming as many as we could. I continued to make, and hand them to him. Yongguk threw them at CL and Himchan. Sometimes hitting them, and other times missing. I began to throw some to. It was fun until I accidently hit Yongguk in the back of the head with one. He stopped what he was doing, and his hands turned into fists. I froze, my eyes wide and I held my hand over my open mouth. He turned around to face me. Yongguk’s eyes were hard, and angry.

“I’m sorry.” I said, “I…”

“Don’t even say it.” He growled. He was really angry, and started towards me. CL and Himchan just stared at the both of us.

“I didn’t mean to hit you.” I said, I was frightened because I haven’t seen this side of him in a long time.

“You’re gonna get it.” Yongguk replied. He smiled a crooked grin, and started to run toward me. I turned around, and started to run away. “Come back here!” He yelled.

“No!” I said running away from him, and he chased me. I saw that both CL and Himchan started running after us.

“Yah! Hyung don’t do anything stupid!” Himchan yelled to him.

“I’m gonna get you! You can’t escape.” He said and I heard the playfulness in his voice.

“Never!” I yelled, as he grabbed a hold of me, pulling me to the ground. I landed on top of him, and he quickly flipped me on my back, pining me to the ground.

“Never say never,” Yongguk said to me, with a smile. “I told you I’d get you,” and he then kissed me on the lips.

I laughed, and squirmed underneath him, “Get off of me,” I said, “I’m cold.”

“That’s not going to work.” He said pulling me back on top of him. “It’s not that bad now. Is it?”

“No it’s better now cause I’m not on the cold ground.” I said, “but you shouldn’t be down there either you’ll get sit.”

“I’m fine,” He said and he pulled my head towards him, lifting his off the ground to kiss me.

“Yah! You two! Let’s go, it’s almost dinner time!” CL said when she and Himchan finally reached us, after they gave up on chasing after us.

“Yeah, CL’s right.” I said, getting off of Yongguk, and getting on my feet. “We should get home and warm up.”

Himchan reached his hand out to Yongguk, and helped Yongguk up off the ground. I brushed the snow that was on my clothes off so it wouldn’t make them really wet.

We began to walk back home. I was freezing, my attempt at trying to keep the snow from melting on my clothes failed. Now I was wet and cold. Yongguk’s clothes were also wet, but it didn’t seem to bother him. He noticed I was shivering, and pulled me close to him.

“We’re almost home,” CL said, “That way we can change into dry clothes.”

 

We all walked into the house, as a blast of warm air hit us.

“I’m in heaven.” I said, taking off my coat, gloves, and hat.

“Warm now?” Yongguk asked, while he was hanging up his jacket.

“Not yet. I’m still a popsicle that needs to thaw out.” I said looking at him. CL and Himchan had already gone upstairs to her room. Himchan was spending the night, and he would be staying in the same room as Yongguk. I thought it was a little strange for them to stay in the same bed, but they didn’t mind. Himchan said it was like CL and I sleeping in the same bed, but was told that it was normal for girls to do that. Back home in America, guys would never have sleepovers let alone sleep in the same bed. I guess here in Korea it’s different, and I knew that the things friends do her would never fly back home without being called gay.

Yongguk pulled me against his chest. He was so warm; I smiled when my face made contact with his chest. I snuggled closer to him, and he laughed. “Why are you always so warm?” I asked him.

“I don’t know.” He replied, “It’s normal for me.”

“Yeah, that’s true, you are always a lot warmer than me.”

“But you get cold easily, besides the fact that we learned in biology that men tend to stay warmer because of their muscle mass.” Yongguk said with a grin.

I pouted, “It’s not fair, not only do I have the short hand with muscle mass and it having to do with my body temperature. I also have low blood pressure.”

“Exactly, and since I have a normal temperature I feel warmer to you.” He said smiling, and then he kissed me on my forehead.

“Let’s go upstairs, I want to change out of these wet clothes. Thanks to someone for making them this way.” I said to him, teasing him with the last part.

He laughed, “it wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t hit me in the head with a snow ball.” Yongguk said raising an eyebrow.

“Yah! I told you it was an accident, you know I have really bad aim.” I defended myself.

Yongguk laughed picking me up in his arms. He began walking towards the stairs when Appa came out of nowhere, “Yah, yah, yah! This isn’t carrying your wife upstairs, now is it?” He asked Yongguk with suspicious eyes.

Yongguk immediately put me down, “No sir,” He replied, “We were just playing around.” I could tell Yongguk wasn’t afraid of Appa, but he was caught off guard.

“Playing around? What kind of playing? You both are wet.” Appa said staring at our clothes.

“When we went on the walk through the park with CL and Himchan oppa we had a snowball fight with them, and that’s how we have wet clothes.” I said.

“Yah! You know you have a health condition that you can get sick if your temperature drops.” Appa said worried about me.

“I know that’s why we are going to put on dry clothes.” I said to him, “Don’t worry Appa Yongguk wouldn’t let anything happen to me.”

He sighed, “alright hurry up, dinner is almost ready.” Appa said to us, walking into the kitchen.

Yongguk and I went upstairs and changed our clothes. CL and Himchan were snuggling in her room, and I wanted to give them alone time. So I went across the hall to stay with Yongguk. He was wandering around the room shirtless, and in dry jeans.

“Hey you changed quickly.”

“Yeah I didn’t want to bother CL and Himchan.” I said to him.

“Why are they making out?” He asked laughing.

“No they were snuggling, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they were now.”

“Hahaha, I wouldn’t doubt you.” He said walking over to me. He put his arms around me and pulled me close to him.

“I hope Appa didn’t offend you.”

“No, he didn’t he’s just worried about you. He wants what’s best for you. I would do the same if I were him.”

“Well that’s good to know, that you would be a good Appa.” I said laughing.

“Why are you planning on wanting kids already?” He said chuckling, with a smile on his face. Yongguk picked me up placing me on the bed. He pushed me down on my back and climbed on top of me.

“No I am not planning on having kids, I’m just saying you would be a good Appa because you’re loving, and caring, and everything a person needs.” I said staring up into his eyes.

“Is that so?”

“Yes, it is.” I began to laugh. The door to the room was closed so no one would bother us. Yongguk smiled down at me. His hand caressed the side of my face, and he leaned in to kiss me. Every time he kissed me, I felt safe and warm. I wrapped my arms around his neck, kissing him back. He pulled back, sitting up pulling me with him. He climbed off me, and went to put his shirt on. Yongguk pulled a black T-shirt over his head, and then climbed back onto the bed. Lying down on his back, he pulled me down next to him. My head lay on his chest. He wrapped his arms around me, cuddling me against him.

We began to talk. We talked about the serial killer that was on the loose. Yongguk was really worried about me.

“I don’t want him to get you or the girls.” He said to me.

“He won’t. I’m safe with you, and you know that I never walk anywhere without someone with me.” I said trying to keep him from worrying.

He nodded in agreement, “I just don’t want anything to happen to you.” He whispered kissing me on my forehead.

“Dinner is ready,” We heard Eomma yell up the stairs.

Yongguk and I got up, and left the room for downstairs. CL and Himchan were already seated when walked in the dinning room. Appa and Sukbu went to get some wine, and Eomma and Sungmo were in the kitchen.

“What were you two up too?” Himchan asked eyeing us suspiciously.

“What makes you ask that?” Yongguk asked.

“The door was closed, and we couldn’t hear anything.” CL said with a grin.

“Nothing, we were talking.” I said starting to get annoyed.

“Sure sure, you guys were definitely making out.” Himchan replied.

“So were you two,” Yongguk said, “It’s not like we didn’t see you.”

Himchan gave Yongguk a death glare, and CL’s face became red.

“What’s going on?” Eomma asked walking into the room.

“Not much we are just talking.” CL said trying to cover up our conversation.

“Yah, if you guys were talking about… things… don’t” Sukbu said walking in with Appa.

“Appa what do you mean by things?” CL asked.

“You know exactly what I mean by things, I may be an old man, but I am very capable of getting rid of someone and making it look like an accident.” He said looking directly at Himchan. Himchan’s facial expression was priceless. There was a sense of surprise and fear in his eyes.

“Appa!” CL exclaimed.

“Yah! He’s right, we may be old, but we are capable of removing someone who hurts our daughters.” Appa added.

“Seriously? Appa!” I said giving Appa a death glare, “Eomma!”

“Now now you two cut it out,” Eomma said to Appa and Sukbu, “These two boys are gentlemen, and wouldn’t think such things. Leave them alone.”

“Yes, we are all going to have a nice dinner,” Sungmo added walking in the kitchen.

Appa and Sukbu looked at each other, and started to laugh.

“We got you good!” Sukbu said patting Appa on the shoulder, and we all looked at them puzzled.

“We know that, we were just messing around,” Appa said with a smile on his face. Then all of a sudden it went serious, “But, if you do,” He said staring at Himchan and Yongguk, “you know what’s coming for you.” Appa took mad a hand motion across his neck warning them that he would kill them.

“Do you understand where we are coming from?” Sukbu asked with hard eyes on the two of them. CL and I palmed ourselves in the face. We were so embarrassed of what our appas had said.

“Yes, sir!” Yongguk and Himchan said. Himchan’s eyes were fearful, but Yongguk’s weren’t. He didn’t seem worried at all.

“Okay, well on another note, now that we are all hear lets eat.” Eomma said trying to change the conversation.

We sat down for dinner, and the tension began to lessen.

“You know that they caught the guy who has been killing those young girls.” Sungmo said.

“Did they really?” Sukbu asked, and CL and I looked at each other happy.

“Yes they did, it was on the news.” Eomma said, “They captured they guy, and he confessed to all the murders.”

“But did the man fit the profile, and what about his partner.” Appa asked suspiciously.

“He didn’t have one, he worked alone.” Eomma said, “That’s what the news reporter interviewing the police said.”

“Odd…” Appa said, looking down at his food. He seemed to doubt the police.

“Well that’s good. Now they caught the guy!” Sukbu said.

“Yeah and now we can stay at our apartment!” CL said looking toward me, and I nodded.

“The is great, now we don’t have to worry about you getting kidnapped anymore.” Himchan said to CL and I. I looked up to Yongguk, he was emotionless; I rubbed my hand on his arm, and he looked down at me. He smiled, but I could see he was still worried. Like Appa he too doubted the police. After dinner we sat in the family room, talking together.

“Jeo Jeo, can you come to the kitchen?” Sungmo asked calling for me. I got up from the couch and walked in the kitchen. “Would you run down to the corner store, and pick up some sesame seeds? Your Eomma and I want to attempt to make a dish.” She said to me.

“Sure, no problem.” I said, and she handed me the money for it. “The store is not that far, I wont be gone long.”

I walked and got on my coat, leaving the house for the store. I walked down the driveway to the sidewalk. I was alone, and I knew that I would be safe. The man who was kidnapping the young girls was in police custody. Snow lightly covered the ground, and the evening turned into night. The air chilled my cheeks, and I could see my breath. The night was peaceful, and you could see some stars in the sky. People walked about the streets normally, like before smiling, and laughing. I walked to the end of the street where the little supermarket was, opening the door, and stepping in.