Chapter 9: The Worst News

Change

 

 It was the next day. I got up, and proceeded to get ready for school. I was exhausted, and my head hurt from the fall. I looked at my arm in the mirror, the bruise the shape of Yong Guk’s hand was still there. It looked worse to me than it did last night. I got dressed, and wore a zip up hoodie, to cover my arms. I didn’t want anyone to see the bruise. Besides the weather wasn’t nice and it was dark, cloudy, and raining.

Once at school, CL and I met up with Daehyun.

“You look exhausted.” Daehyun said to me.

“Yeah I didn’t sleep well last night.” I said looking down.

“How come?” he asked, looking into my eyes.

“I had a really bad dream, and after I woke up, I couldn’t fall back asleep” I replied.

“Hey did you knock something over last night?” CL asked me, “because I heard a thud around three in the morning, but I assumed you went to the bathroom and maybe bumped into something, causing it to fall over.”

“No… I didn’t knock anything over.” I said.

“Then what was the sound? Did you drop something?” she asked me while we all headed down the hall toward our classes.
“No I didn’t drop anything either…” I paused; she and Daehyun both stopped walking and looked at me. “I fell out of bed last night, and I have the bump to prove it,” I said rubbing the back of my head. 

“How did you manage to do that?” She asked, and Daehyun stood silently next to me waiting for my reply.

“I said I had a bad dream, and in it I was falling. It felt so realistic that in my dream when I hit the ground, I woke up startled and then noticed I was on the floor in my room.” I explained to them.

“Well are you alright?” Daehyun asked me, his eyes looked worried.

“Yeah I’m fine, I just couldn’t sleep after that, and if I did, it wasn’t any good.” I replied giving them both a reassuring smile.

“Good thing you’re okay.” CL said, she stopped and went to head down the other hallway to her class. “I’ll see you guys after class.” And she walked down the hall.

Daehyun and I headed toward our class together. “How’s your arm today?” he asked eyeing my arm.
“It looks worse than it did last night.” I replied, “And it feels more sore.”

“Can I see it?” he asked.

“Yeah.” I said ping my hoodie, and pulling my arm out.

His face softened, and he looked upset. “It does look worse.” He said in a sad voice, “I’m really sorry it happened.”

“It’s not your fault. I don’t blame you.” I said, slipping my arm back into the sleeve. 

“I should have made sure that he wouldn’t have bothered you.” He said blaming himself.

“I told you it’s not your fault. Don’t worry about it.” I said, trying to reassure him.

“Okay if you say so.” He said, and then changed the subject, “What was your dream about last night?”

“It wasn’t really a bad dream… It was more of a nightmare I couldn’t wake up from.”

“Well what happened in it?” he asked again.

“You are going to think that I’m crazy!”

“It’s not like I don’t already think you’re crazy. Just tell me.” He demanded

“Okay okay, but you can’t make fun of me, or laugh at me.”

“I promise.” His eyes sparkled when he said that.

I told him all about the dream, every aspect and detail. “Yeah, so in the end I concluded that Yong Guk is a demon trying to kill me and take my soul.” I said seriously.

He tried not to laugh, but couldn’t help himself. “A demon with red eyes?” he asked snickering as he said it.

“Yah! You promised you wouldn’t laugh!”

“I’m sorry I really did try, but I couldn’t help it. It is a little bit ridiculous.”

I pouted. “That’s not fair don’t laugh at me, I can’t control my dreams.” I said embarrassed.

“It’s okay, I’m not laughing at you. I’m laughing at your crazy dream.” He said, and I just glared at him. “Besides how come I was in all white? And on top of it have silver glowing eyes?” he asked raising an eyebrow.

“I don’t know! You tried to save me! That’s all I know.” I said looking away from him, “be happy you weren’t evil in my dream or I wouldn’t be talking to you.”

He laughed, “Well you want to know what I think?”

“Not really, but what?”

He laughed again, “You really are a cranky person when you don’t get much sleep.”

I just glared at him again, “You were saying?” I asked.

“I was going to say, that maybe if you said Yong Guk was a demon because of his red eyes, then I must have been an angel in all white.” He said pretty confident in his theory.
I didn’t say anything for a moment as I thought it over. “I don’t know, I don’t think angel’s have glowing silver eyes.” I said, “So you most likely weren’t that.”

“Have you ever seen an angel?” he asked eyeing me, as we stood outside of the classroom.

“No.”

“So you don’t know what they look like. They could very well have silver eyes. And doesn’t white symbolize good?” he said trying to prove his point.

I scrunched up my face, and glared at him. “You are really confident in your theory aren’t you?”

“Well… I think that it’s the only explanation that makes the most sense. I’m just being logical.” His eyes sparkled and I nudged him.

“If it’s that, don’t let it go to your head! You’re not real angel.” I said walking into the classroom.

“That’s what I want you to think.” He said teasing me.

 

Math with Daehyun had gone by so fast, and so did English with CL and Himchan. Today was different because Himchan walked with us to class and sat with us. He attempted to talk with CL, but continued to creep her out with his serial killer eyes. Not to mention he creeped me out too. I tried to pay no attention to it. He was a really nice guy. It was weird how his eyes would warm up and look welcoming one moment, and then the next moment went back to the cold stare. We had all gone on our separate was. I was afraid to go to biology today, more than I ever had. I know I had said to Yong Guk that I wasn’t afraid of him, but the truth was I was terrified of him after last night. His eyes looked so animalistic, and they didn’t even look human. I shuddered at the thought of his evil stare. I was even more afraid because of what he had done to me, and the dream I had about him last night. I knew that the dream wasn’t true, but it was a thought that crept in the back of my mind. I walked into the classroom and headed for my seat. Yong Guk was already there. I took a deep breath, and tried to show I wasn’t afraid of him. When I sat down, he didn’t take any notice in me. As class started the professor announce a research project we would have to work on with our lab partners. “Oh !” I thought to myself. “I can’t believe I have to work with this thing outside of school too!” My heart pounded, and I’d rather die than work with Yong Guk on this assignment. I could tell he wasn’t too happy about the assignment either. The professor passed out our assigned topics to us, and said, “You will have to make up an experiment, and research it as well.”

Once we received our topic, I looked down at the paper and read it out loud. “You’re assigned topic is about blood. It’s function, how it works, and different blood types. You will have the remaining of the semester to work on this project. Make sure that you start accordingly to make sure you have enough time to gather your research.” I read, and paused. I couldn’t help but think, “seriously! All my partner want’s to do is hurt me! Now you’ve given him an excuse to do it!” but I kept that to myself, and he stared at me. His eyes hard and cold, but they weren’t animalistic and didn’t look like they had a reddish tint to them like last night. “Really? Blood? Why blood?” I asked out loud. My eyes widened, and I just stared at the paper.

Yong Guk grabbed the paper out of my hands, “Why are you squeamish?” he asked with a cocky voice.

I made a face of disgust, “No!” I yelled, “I just don’t like it.”

“That’s the same thing you babo!” He said

“Now he’s calling me and idiot,” I thought to myself. “Whatever I just don’t like it! It’s gross, and red, and gross!” I said to him, trying to ignore his eyes.

“You said gross twice. You cant even think of a different word?” he mocked

“I can too! I just chose to say it twice to get my point across. Besides I’m not going to be the one giving my blood for the experiment, and research!” I said, “You’re going to be the one to do that!”

He just shook his head and laughed at me, “What makes you think I’m going to do it?”

“Because you are the boy in this partnership, and I don’t like blood so thus you will have to do it!” I said mocking him back

He stared at me, “Whatever we are both going to have to do it. We will have to research different blood types, and possibly how it differs functions between es.” He said in a cocky tone.

“Well then we can compare personalities and how blood type might affect that too.” I said glaring at him.

“What’s your blood type?” he asked, but his voice sounded somewhat kind.

“I don’t know.” I replied

“You don’t know? How can you not know?” his deep voice sounded surprised.

I shrugged, “I just was never told, it’s not a big thing to know it in America so that’s why.” I explained

“You Americans are weird.” He replied, his voice once again sounded cocky.

“And I suppose you know your blood type.” I tried to match the sound in his voice.

“Actually I do! My blood type is O,” He answered in certainty.

 I just glared at him, “it’s an Asian thing to know your blood type.” I replied

He laughed, “You know you just put yourself down?” his voice was more sincere this time.

“No I didn’t, I’m just stating the obvious, and it is a cultural thing.” I replied confidently

“And you were raised by Koreans? You’re not to Korean like.” He mocked me once again.

I pouted, “I am as Korean as you are! Maybe not the looks, but culturally we are the same, except mines a bit more Americanized. And my parents tried to keep it as traditional as they could in the states.”

“Sure…” that’s all he said.

“It’s true, they sent me to Korean classes, I took lessons on traditional music, art, and dance. I have done it all.” I said trying to prove my point. “I bet I’m more Korean than you!”

“I doubt that.” He said, “You have never lived here before now. You didn’t grow up here, so you are not more Korean than I am.”

I thought to myself, “are we seriously arguing over who is more Korean? Whatever, he always has to prove me wrong.” I looked at him and changed the subject, “so what’s the plan for the project?” I asked

“We have to work together.” He said with a smartass remark

I wanted to slap myself in the head. No actually I wanted to slap him for the remark. “I know that, what do you think we should do?” I asked

“Split the work in half, you do your half and I’ll do mine.” He said, “That way we have to see little of each other.”

“That sounds good to me, but what about the experiment parts? We both have to do it.” I said swallowing hard.

“And why is that?” he asked glaring at me.

“Because I won’t be able to handle the blood on my own, and I won’t be able to prick my finger! And I just won’t do it!” I said rambling on

He just stared long and hard at me, “Fine, we will do the experiments together then if that’s what you want!” His voice sounded like a growl.

“Yes that is what I want!” I replied looking the other way.

He just shook his head. “You are a piece of work. Where do you want to do the experiments? They can’t be done in class.”

“Not at my place, I don’t have anywhere we could do them, besides I don’t want you to know where I live.” I said worried.

“Why is that you think I’m going to stalk and kill you?” he asked with an angry look.

“I don’t know what goes through your mind! If you get mad at me I don’t want you to be able to come after me! It’s better safe than sorry, besides after last night I’m not taking any chances.” I said explaining myself

He just stared at me, I thought I had seen sympathy in his eyes when I brought up last night, but when I looked again, and his eyes were cold and hard.

“Fine we’ll do the experiments at my place since you already know where I live. Let’s start on the project next week, I want the weekend to think of ways to kill myself.” He said picking up his things.

“Don’t say things like that! You wouldn’t do that! You’d rather kill me!” I said, and then thought about it. It probably wasn’t a good idea to say that with a crazy psychopathic partner that might actually do it.

He stopped and turned around to me, “You know that’s not a bad idea. I’ll have to think of ways to make it look like an accident.” He said with an evil grin on his face.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. He turned around and continued to the door.

I called to him, “Yah! Watch it buddy, if you do that, I will haunt your till the day you die!” I said hoping it would keep him from doing it.

He just waved his hand like he was swatting a fly from his head and walked out.

“Jerk!” I said, and gathered my things. That class never lasted the full time, it always finished early, because once we were done with the lab, or in this case discussing the project we were allowed to leave. For some odd reason, Yong Guk and I were always the last to leave, even after the professor. I thought it was strange, but that’s how things worked.

I walked out of the class and sat down on the bench outside in the hall. I waited for CL and Daehyun to come. The hallway became busy, and swarmed with people as they traveled to lunch. Daehyun always managed to make it before CL did, and this time Himchan came with him.

“I hope you don’t mind, but I would like to join you guys at lunch today.” Himchan said, and his eyes softened. Every time they did, the serial killer look disappeared.

“Yeah that’s fine, I have no problem with it.” I said, “But…”

“But what?” Daehyun asked.

“Himchan, I mean Oppa your going to have to not creep us out.” I said.

Himchan looked at me confused, and so did Daehyun, “What do you mean?” Himchan asked.

“I mean the creepy stare you do. It weirds us out and not to mention you look like a serial killer.” I said, “No offense, it just is scary.” He just looked at me confused and the stare I told him not to do came out again.
“What stare? I don’t do a stare like that.” Himchan replied, and he stared at me.

“You’re doing it right now!” I said, “Don’t look at me like that!”

Daehyun looked at him, and saw what I was talking about. He then laughed, “She’s right you do look like a serial killer right now.”

His eyes intensified, “I really don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said.

I sighed, and pulled out my compact mirror, and held it up in front of his face. He looked in it and was shocked at what he saw. “Do I really look like that?” Himchan asked with a worried look.  

“Yeah and it creeps us out… a lot. You look like you are going to kill us.” I said

“I had no idea, I didn’t even know until now.” He said worried, and his eyes saddened. “Do you think that’s why a lot of girls don’t talk to me?” Himchan asked Daehyun and I.

“Yes.” Daehyun and I both said at the same time nodding, and then Daehyun continued, “You scare them away, and you’re not very talkative, so they don’t get to know you, and get the chance to learn that’s just how your face is.”

“Ohhh that’s mean!” I said

“It’s true! He can’t control it if he doesn’t know he’s doing it” Daehyun replied.

Himchan looked down, and sighed. “I really like this girl, and I think she thinks I’m creepy because of it now. It all makes sense.”

“Talk to her, show her how nice you are. Your personality will win over the creepy glare.” I said, “I would know, I’m a girl!”

He looked up to me and smiled, “really?” Himchan asked happily.

“Ahh Yeah! I definitely would know” I replied reassuring him.

“So who’s this girl?” Daehyun asked

“I can’t say…” Himchan replied, “You guys know her.”

“Oh my God! Who!” I exclaimed

“I’m not saying!” Himchan replied, and his voice came out like a growl.

“Okay fine don’t tell us” I said, “but I will figure it out, I waved my finger towards.

“Hey guys!” CL said as she walked up. Himchan’s eyes became serial killer like again, and he stared at CL. She looked at him, “Okay… Who’s hungry? Cause I am!”

We all walked to the dinning hall together. Once we got our food, we all sat down in the same seat. The only two B.A.P boys that haven’t joined our table were Yong Guk and Yongjae. They sat at their original table. I sat next to Daehyun and Zelo. And Himchan sat across from CL. He still had his signature creepy stare, as he watched CL. I began to wonder why he watched her so closely. Then it hit me, the girl he likes was CL! It made perfect sense to me, why he watches her every move. Why he stares at her the way he does, and why he gets all shy around her. I began to watch him, at lunch trying to prove my theory right. He began to talk to her. At first she was uncomfortable, but as lunch went on she became more comfortable around him. They even laughed together about things he said. The others were talking about the weekend and I wasn’t paying any attention to it.

“What are you thinking about?” Daehyun whispered in my ear.
“Huh, oh nothing I just space out.” I said to him.

“What are you doing this weekend?” he asked me.

“I don’t know, CL had told me at the beginning of the week but I forgot.”

“Oh, are you going to the Up All Night?”

“The what?” I asked confused

“The event the school is putting on tomorrow. It’s where students who are working on dance projects, music performances, or songs, perform them in front of the students and the community that come to it,” he explained.

“Oh you mean the fall festival? Yeah CL and I are going, I remember now, she has to perform with Bom, Dara, and Minzy. So I’m going to support them.” I said proudly.

“You’re not performing with them?”

“Nope I can’t handle large crowds with that type of thing. I’m afraid to sing in the shower.” I said

He laughed, “I don’t think you’re as bad as you say you are.”

“HA! Trust me it’s nothing special, there are people here who are way better, and I don’t want to embarrass myself. Are you going?”

“Yeah, it’s always fun. I guess I’ll see you around tomorrow then.” He said, and his eyes sparkled.

“Yeah! We should meet up! And then do the other fun things they have to do there all of us together!” I said excitedly.

He put his arm around me, “Calm down, your getting a little to excited.” He said jokingly. 

“You know what I mean.” I said, and we both laughed.

“Yah! You guys I have to tell you something!” Minzy yelled to all of us from the other end of the table.

“What?” Bom asked

“I can’t go to the Up all Night tomorrow. I have to go to a family party.” She said sadly.

“What! What do you mean you can’t come?” Dara said worried.

“I won’t be able to perform with you guys tomorrow. I’m really sorry.” She said sadly.

“What are we going to do?” CL asked, “We can’t pull out now, it’s part of our grades.”

“I know I’m really sorry.” Minzy said, “Maybe someone could pick up my parts.” She suggested.

“Like who? We don’t know your parts, and we can’t learn them overnight.” Bom stated.
“No I have an idea!” CL exclaimed, “Jeo Jeo can do it!” I was drinking water, and when I heard that I spit it out and began to choke. They all stared at me, and Daehyun rubbed my back trying to help stop the choking.

I finally managed to choke out, “What do you mean I can do it?” I asked choking again.

“You know the whole song, you’ve watched us perform it tons of times, and you know Minzy’s parts, and the dance too!” CL replied.
The two older girls stared at me, “That’s not a bad idea” Bom said.

“Jeo Jeo, you’re our only hope.” Dara said, showing her aegyo to me.

“Please!” They all pleaded, “We owe you big time,” the two older girls continued.
“I don’t know, you know I don’t like large audiences.” I replied

“That’s crap and you know it!” CL said, “You have performed in front of tons of people before with flags!”

“That’s different I was on a team of like eighteen people, they couldn’t point out who was who, and besides they didn’t know me or go to the same school as me.” I said

“Please you have to do this!” CL said, “It would mean a lot to me!”

“PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! JAEBAL!” Bom, and Dara pleaded once again.
“Noona I think you should do it!” Zelo said, “We will support you!” The young boy smiled.

“I think you should do it to, and Jongup agrees.” Himchan interjected, as he looked at me with soft eyes.
I turned to Daehyun, “What do you think?” I asked him.

He looked at me with warm kind eyes. “I think you should. It would be a good experience for you.” He replied.

“Gahh! You’re supposed to be on my side! You’re my friend!” I said hitting him playfully.

“Sorry, but I have to side with the others, it would be what’s best for you and them.” He replied.

I hung my head low. “I can’t believe I’m going to do this…”

“YES!” CL exclaimed, “We have to practice tonight, to make sure Jeo Jeo is comfortable!”

I made a face and the other girls nodded. “Someone please kill me,” I thought to myself. “I’m going to regret this,” I said out loud. Everyone at the table laughed.

The rest of the day went by fast, and the next thing I knew I was practicing with CL and the girls. It was going to be a long night.