Chapter 18: The Winter Recital

Change

 

I began to stir in my sleep. I took a deep breath in before I opened my eyes. Sunlight came beaming in from the windows. I looked around the room, not recognizing where I was. I felt arms tighten around me, and I heard breathing. I moved my head up toward the headboard of the bed. I saw Yong Guk’s face. My eyes widened, and I froze. It hit me that I was in his room, and in his bed with him. My heart began to pound. I didn’t know how I got there. I slowly tried to wiggle out of his arms without waking him up, but it wasn’t going the way I planned. His arms tightened around me. So I just laid my head down on his chest. His body was warm, and comforting, but I was uncomfortable being in the same bed as him. I didn’t have to worry about him taking advantage of me. I was fully clothed in what I wore last night. I tried to recall how I ended up here, but all I could remember was the movie. I must have fallen asleep during it, and he brought me up here. I once again tried to wiggle out of his embrace, this time I almost made it free, but he woke up.

His eyes remained closed, “What are you doing?” He asked groggily.

“Nothing…”

“Then sit still.” He said softly half asleep.

“I can’t.”

“Wae?”

“Because I can’t breathe.” I replied, and he opened his eyes. He then loosened his arms, and moved them from around me.

He wore a pair of black sweat pants, and a black tank top, “You’re probably wondering how you got up here?”

“Yeah… And why I’m here.” I said.

He smiled and propped himself up on one arm, “You fell asleep during the movie, and when it finished it was too late for you, CL, and Melia to drive home. Not to mention the weather got really bad so we decided to have you spend the night.”

“Oh… That makes more sense. How come we are not all in the same room?” I asked him.

“Why would I let you sleep on a couch when you can sleep in a bed with me?”

“You know that didn’t come out sounding right at all.” I said, and he smiled kissing me.

“You know what I mean. Besides my bed is big enough for the both of us, and it was completely harmless. We didn’t do anything.”

“Well I would think so, because I don’t remember anything at all. And now I have literally slept with you.”

“I wouldn’t go around saying that.” He said with a smile on his face pulling me close to him.

“Well it’s true, we both went to sleep in the same bed, and all we did was sleep. It didn’t involve anything else, but seeing the back of our eyelids, and dreams.” I said, and he laughed at me once again.

“I love you, and your weirdness.” He said hugging me, “Let’s go see if the others are awake, we have to get ready for the recital tonight.”

We both got up, and walked down the hall. All the bedroom doors were open and no one seemed to be in them. “They all must be downstairs.” I said, and he nodded.

We walked downstairs to find everyone in the kitchen making breakfast.

“Oh look its sleeping beauty and prince charming.” Jongup said teasingly.

“You guys slept long.” Himchan said, “We are in the middle of making breakfast if you want some, but you have to help.”

“That’s fine we will.” I said, “What do you want us to do?”

“Cut the fruit,” CL said, “And then put it in this bowl.” And she handed me the giant bowl.

“Okay.” Yong Guk said, and we got started on it.

Once we ate, us girls had to leave so we could all shower and get ready for tonight. We all had to be there a lot earlier than the show time to have a dress rehearsal, with the other students.

 “I feel so gross, I need to shower, brush my hair and teeth.” Melia complained, as we got ready to leave.

“I know what you mean.” I said in agreement, “I will most likely be brushing my teeth for a really long time.

CL then laughed, “I second that one.” She said as we walked to the door.

We said our goodbyes to the boys, and told them we would see them later. We all got into the car and left.

 

Once at home we all got ready for the performance, showering, doing our hair and makeup, and practicing before we left for the school. In the middle of it all my parents called me to tell me that they would be at the recital and are excited to see what I had prepared. I told them about Yong Guk and they were eager to meet him. I was hesitant on them meeting him, because I was afraid that they wouldn’t approve of him.

Once at the school the dress rehearsal went really well. People began to fill the auditorium, and we all went to our dressing rooms. CL, Melia, and I all shared a dressing room with Minzy, Bom, and Dara. We all had our costuming out and ready for the performances we were about to make. I was the first to go on with Melia, Jongup, and Zelo. The dance routines were after all the students who preformed with instruments. Singers were last. Melia and I stretched, and marked through the dances. When we were called we grabbed our props, and headed out towards the stage. We met up with Jongup, and Zelo backstage. We were the next ones to go on.  

“Here we go!” Zelo said, “Let’s blow them out of the water.”

“No! Let’s blow the roof off this joint.” Jongup said with confidence, “We got this.”

“My parents are here.” I said.

“Well all the more to do our best.” Melia said, “I just hope someone gets it on video so I can show my parents when I go home.”

“Knowing mine, they will.” I said, “Don’t worry I’ll send you a copy.”

“Good.” She replied.

“Alright guys here we go!” Zelo said, and we took the stage.

We did our performance the way we planned, and the crowd went wiled. I could hear my parents and my aunt and uncle scream over everyone else. It might be because I knew their voices, and theirs stood out to me amongst the rest of the crowd. Once our performance was over, we ran off stage to get ready for the next performance.

All the dance performances had finished, and now the singing ones started. CL, Minzy, Bom, and Dara, went on and Melia and I got ready for our performance together. When they came off, Yong Guk and Daehyun went on. I watched from back stage and saw how amazing the two of them preformed together.

 

http://youtu.be/JzLXvOMMqtQ

 

When they finished and came off, Yong Guk hugged and kissed me, “Good Luck I know you’ll do great.”

“Thanks, I’ll talk to you later.” I said to him pulling away. I looked over to Melia, and she and Daehyun were doing the same as I was.

We walked onto the stage, and took our places for our performance.

 

http://youtu.be/ShQaf4dplhY

 

Once we got off the stage we ran back to the dressing room to get ready for the next performance, I had to go on again, and there was very little time. I hurried to get changed into the different outfit, and Melia fixed my hair, while CL touched up my makeup. The next thing I knew I was being shoved back on the stage for my solo song.  I heard the crowd applaud, and I heard people chant my name. I took a deep breath and began my performance.

 

http://youtu.be/EJt_GdxGz3c

 

I breathed heavily after my performance, and ran to get changed for one last performance.  I couldn’t wait to go on with Yong Guk. I was nervous at the same time, he had so much more experience than me, and I was worried people would think that I wasn’t at all talented. This was the last performance of the night and I was running late. I rushed to the back stage where Yong Guk stood pacing back and fourth.

“I thought you got scared and backed out.” He said to me, pulling me into a hug.

“No I just ran late from changing outfits.” I replied.

“Good thing it was just that, we have to go on.” He said, pulling me onto the stage. We took our beginning poses. The music began to play, and the crowd cheered both of our names. I took a deep breath and began to sing.

 

http://youtu.be/tJdCqdJgpeM

 

We both got off stage, and walked towards the dressing rooms. I was relieved that the performance was over, and that the whole recital was done and finished with, he walked me to my dressing room, and then wrapped his arms around me. We both smiled, and he looked down to me.

“I’m so proud of you.” He said to me hugging me tightly against him.

“Thanks, you were amazing as usual.” I said to him, and he kissed me on my forehead.

“Go get changed, I’ll meet you here after.” He said, and turned toward his dressing room.

I walked in the dressing room and CL had already packed up my things for me.

She handed me my clothes, “Change quickly,” She said, “We have to meet up with our parents.”

“Yeah, I walked to the bathroom, to wash the sweat off my face, and change. I got dressed in my street clothes that I wore before the show. When I finished, I walked back out, putting my things in my bag. The other girls had already left to go meet up with their parents. CL was the only one waiting for me. I grabbed my things and we walked out of the dressing room. Yong Guk and Himchan stood outside the door waiting for us.

“Hey ladies, shall we get going?” Himchan said to us.

“Yes we shall.” CL replied, “My parents want to meet you.” She said and they both started walking off.

“Mine too.” He said to her.

Yong Guk and I trailed behind them; we were the last few people to leave. He put his arm around me, “So am I going to me your parents?” He asked me.

“Yep. They really want to meet the boy in my life.”

“Hmmm…” was all he said.

“What was that for?” I asked.

“I wasn’t sure if they really wanted to meet me after all the horrible things I said, and did to you before we were together.”  He said looking down at the floor.

I leaned into him as we walked, “They don’t know about that, besides, it was in the past, and I thought we were going to forget about it.” I said to him.

“Yeah I know, I just wasn’t sure if you told them or not.”

“I didn’t, I told them all the good things about you.” I said, as we reached my parents.

Appa was a tall younger man for having a child my age. Appa was forty-five years old, he had black hair, and a warm smile.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Eomma was younger looking too, she was fourty-three years old. She had long hair, and had a welcoming smile. She and Appa were always asked why they had a child that was so old. They happened to adopt me at a young age for both of them. She always answered them with “She’s a miracle that I would never replace.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I ran up to them, “Eomma! Appa!” I yelled, and they smiled my way. They greeted me with a huge bouquet of flowers, and a long hug. I didn’t want to let go.

Eomma gave me tons of kisses, “Oh my baby girl, you are all grown up!” she said squeezing me tightly. We were the same height, and Appa towered over both of us.

“We are so proud of you!” Appa said to me hugging and giving me a kiss on my cheek, “I wouldn’t expect anything more of you.”

“Yes! You really surprised us with your singing.” Eomma replied, and they both squeezed me.

“Now where’s the lucky young man who gets to date my daughter?” Appa asked me.

I stepped back, and said, “Eomma, Appa, this is Yong Guk. He’s the boy I was telling you about.”

Yong Guk stepped forward, and said, “annyeonghaseyo,” bowing at the same time.

“Well it’s so nice to finally meet you.” Eomma replied, and she turned to me, “He a very handsome young man.” She said to my as if he couldn’t hear it. I just nodded in agreement. 

“Why yes it is… You were the rapper in the last song who performed with our Jeo Jeo.” Appa said, “You are quite talented.”

“Thank You.” Yong Guk replied, “We both worked extremely hard on it.” And he looked at me with a smile.

“We have heard so many wonderful things about you. Where are your parents? We would love to meet them.” Eomma said, and my eyes widened with shock I shook my head basically telling them that it wasn’t the right thing to say.

Yong Guk looked away, and down towards the floor. He didn’t say anything.

“Are they not here tonight? If not we will have to meet them sometime soon.” Appa said. 

I shook my head and mouthed to them, “Stop! I’ll explain everything to you later.” My parents looked at me puzzled and then to Yong Guk, he still didn’t say anything.

He turned to me, “I’m sorry I have to go. It was nice meeting you,” He said, and kissed me on the cheek. “I’ll talk to you later.” He walked away in a hurry. My parents stared at my confused.

“Was it something I said?” Appa asked, looking at me.

“Yeah… It was.” I replied.