Chapter 11: The Demon Can Be Nice

Change

 

I woke up, and it was Monday. “I hate Mondays!” I said to Charlie, the pillow pet sat there expressionless. I went to school, and everything was all right. In biology class Yong Guk had told me he would meet me by the fountain at the front of the school so we could work on our project. I dreaded working with him. Not only did he scare me, he was unpredictable.

----------

After classes I walked to the fountain, as saw him waiting for me. CL was extremely worried about me being with him. So I told her I would call if there were a problem and if she needed to pick me up. He sat on the bench next to the fountain. I took a deep breath and walked over to him.

“Finally.” He said, “You’re here.”

“Yeah sorry I had to tell CL my plans.” I said looking at him. He stood up, and when he did, he towered over me. He was even taller than Daehyun, and I thought Daehyun was tall.

“Well lets go.” He started to walk away. I stood there, and he stopped. “Are you coming?” he asked.
“Yeah, but where are we going?”

“We are going to go pick up the supplies from Professor Kim.”

“Oh, right.” I began to walk behind him. I followed him for a bit, and then he abruptly stopped and I walked right into him. My eyes widened and I stepped back. “I’m sorry.” I said looking down.

He turned to face me, I saw his hands were in a fist, but they loosened, “How about you walk beside me and not behind me.” He said, and I nodded. I walked beside him and looked at the ground as we proceeded to Professor Kim’s office. Girls all around the campus were whispering, and gossiping about Yong Guk and I. They most likely thought it was weird that I would be walking with him. I looked out of the corner of my eye and saw him looking at me. His eyes didn’t seem angry. I thought I was seeing things, so I turned my head to him and he wasn’t looking at me.

“What?” he asked

“Nothing, I was just thinking we should try to get as far as we can today.”

“That’s the plan.”

“Yeah, I already did some research, and got all the things we decided to do on our own, done.”

“You already finished it?” he looked at me surprised

“Yep all of it, I have it in my backpack.” I said with a smile, “I did it over the weekend to get it out of the way so I don’t have to do it later.”

“You’re not as stupid as I thought, but you’re still weird.” He said with a slightly cold tone in his voice.
We arrived at the office, and picked up the supplies we needed. Yong Guk placed them in his black and red backpack. We walked out, and he stopped. “We are going to have to walk.” He said, “Himchan took my car and went home with the guys.”

I looked at him, “Okay you tell me where to go. I don’t know how to get to you’re house CL dropped me off last time.”

“That’s fine. Let’s go before it starts to rain.” He began to walk away. I tried to keep up with his walking pace, but I had to take two strides for every one he took. I looked up at the sky, and there were dark clouds. They seemed to get darker by the minute, and the wind picked up. The rain began to fall, and when it fell, it came down hard. We began to run for cover. He grabbed my arm, but this time it wasn’t hard, and dragged me through an alleyway, and under and over hang. We were both soaked. His hair, dripped water down his face, as he looked out into the rain. I panted trying to catch my breath; we had run a long way. He looked down at me as I tried to catch my breath. His eyes were at first emotionless, but then began to warm. Yong Guk wasn’t even out of breath. He breathed normally, like he had never run in the first place. That’s when I began to think I was starting to get out of shape.

The rain began to lighten up, “We should go now, before it gets worse again.” He said, placing his hand on my shoulder and gently pushing me to start walking.

I began to feel more comfortable with him, but I didn’t understand why he was being so nice in the first place. “It probably was what Daehyun had said to him,” I thought to myself. We walked in silence, when we finally reached the neighbor hood. We walked down the street, and I saw his house. It was the biggest one on the entire street, and it had an elaborate fence around the yard. The rain began to fall again, and lightning flashed across the sky. A huge crack of thunder sounded, which made me jump. The rain began to fall harder and harder. It became worse than it was earlier, the wind blew harder, and I began to shiver. He grabbed my hand, and we made a run for it. His hand was warm, and mine warmed in it. We finally reached the door, and he dug for his keys in his pocket, unlocking the door and pulling me in with him. The boy’s were in the family room playing video games, and didn’t notice us come in.

“Follow me.” Yong Guk said leading me up the stairs and down the hall to the very end. Where he walked in the room on the right. I followed him in the room. He dropped his backpack on the floor. I began to shiver, and he disappeared into his bathroom. I had goose bumps all over my body and my teeth began to chatter. My hair was drenched and I was sopping wet. I looked around his room; it was even cleaner than Daehyun’s. He had a king size bed in the middle of the room with black sheets. His room was red and black. He had dark furniture; the desk, nightstands, and dresser were all black.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He came out of the bathroom with two towels handing one to me. “Dry off or you’ll get sick.” He said.

“Thanks,” I said taking the towel from him. I was shaking from being so cold. My teeth chattered, as I wiped the water off my face. I took my sweatshirt off, and wrapped the red towel around me. I still shivered. My shirt underneath was even wet. I had no other clothes to change into. So I had to stick it out. I looked at him as he took the towel and tried to dry the water off his face and head. He ped his hoodie, and threw it in the hamper. Then he proceeded to pull his T-shirt off right in front of me. My eyes widened and I felt my face get hot. I looked down and away from him. He walked around shirtless into his closet. Coming out with dry clothes in his hands. Yong Guk walked over to me still shirtless, and I pretended not to notice. I noticed that he had a tattoo on his back, it said “Do what u like, Luv what u do”.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He tapped me on the shoulder. I looked up at him, hoping he had a shirt on. He didn’t. “Put these on, you’re soaked.” He said, handing me some of his clothes. I took them from him.

“Are you sure, my clothes will dry sooner or later.” I said, looking away from him. It wasn’t the fact that he was shirtless that made me uncomfortable, well that was part of it. It was also the fact that he was being extremely nice to me.

“Yeah, those don’t fit me anymore.” He said placing them in my hand. I stared strangely at him. “They are too small, they should fit you.”

I took them from him, “um okay.” I said, I didn’t know what else to think but this, “is he calling me fat? No… maybe they’re old clothes form when he was a lot younger.” I told myself.

“Go into my bathroom, wash up and change.” He said kindly. I looked up to him; his eyes had no emotion in them. I couldn’t tell what he was thinking. I walked into the bathroom and closed the door. Everything was organized perfectly; I couldn’t believe it was a boy’s bathroom. I walked over to the sink and turned the water on, I washed the runny makeup off my face. I looked into the mirror, and noticed why he was staring at me. My shirt was white, and had become see-through when it had become wet. I could see my bra clearly through the shirt as well as my bellybutton. I gasped, “I can’t believe I didn’t notice it earlier.” I thought to myself. I took off my wet clothes and slipped into his. Yong Guk’s old clothes that didn’t fit him anymore were big on me. I wore the t-shirt that was oversized, and his sweatpants were too long. The shirt was black with a street style design on it. I sniffed them, and they even smelled like him. It wasn’t a bad smell; it just was weird that I now smelled like him. I looked in his drawers of the bathroom counter, trying to find a hair dryer. It dawned on me that he wouldn’t have one because he’s a boy. Then I saw a cologne bottle sitting at the side of the sink. I picked it up and looked at it. Now I was starting to get nosey. I took off the cap, and raised the bottle to my nose. I took a whiff of it. It surprisingly didn’t smell that bad. I then smelled the shirt he gave me again, and compared it to the cologne. They smelled the same. “That explains it,” I said to myself, putting the cap back on the bottle and placing it where it originally was. I grabbed my wet clothes off the floor. I opened the door to the bathroom, and looked out. Yong Guk was sitting at his desk, still shirtless. “When is this guy going to put a shirt on?” I asked myself.

He looked over to me, and stood up. “Hey, I started on setting up the supplies.” He said, walking over to me.

“Okay, we should get started.” I said looking down.

“Give me your wet clothes” and I handed them over to him. He hung them up to try in his bathroom, and came back out. I glanced at his bare chest. He was thin, but muscular at the same time. He had somewhat of a six-pack going on, and his arms were toned too. He saw me looking at him. “What?” he asked with an angry tone.

“Are you going to put on a shirt?”

He looked at me, and laughed. “Why does me not having a shirt on make you uncomfortable?”

I didn’t say anything, I knew that if I said yes, he would keep his shirt off, but if I said no, he would mock me for liking it, which wasn’t true.

“No,” I said quietly looking away.

“Well then I don’t have to put one on. Since you’re fine with it an all,” he glance at me

I rolled my eyes, “Actually it does bother me.”

“And why is that? You’ve never seen a guy shirtless before?”

“No I have, but we are not at a pool, or the beach where you don’t need to wear a shirt. We are in your house.”

“It’s my house, I can do what I want in it,” he said in a smartass tone.

“You know what I mean! You have a guest, you shouldn’t be walking around half .”

He smirked, “You should be lucky that it’s only half.”

My eyes widened, and I shook my head. My mouth dropped open and I said, “Eww, eww!” and closed my eyes, shuddering from the thought of that.

He laughed again, “If you ask nicely, I’ll put a shirt on.” He said teasing me.

“Okay, Yong Guk…”

“Ne…”
“Will you please put a shirt on?”

“Wae?”

“Because you’re making me uncomfortable.”

“But I like to see you squirm, and anyways I know you like It.” he said heading for his closet. I didn’t even bother answering that one. There was no use. “You didn’t answer.” He called from inside the closet, “I guess you do like It,” he teased.

“No I do not, if I liked it I wouldn’t be asking you to put your shirt on.” I replied, I smacked myself on my forehead.  “Why me? Why me?” I asked myself when I did. He came out of the closet in a plain red T-shirt.

He just stared at me like he was waiting for something. “Thank you.” I said.

He didn’t say anything as he walked back over to his desk, and waved for me to follow him. I did, he pulled up an extra chair for me to sit next to him. “Shall we start?” he asked looking at me.
“Ne.”

He first picked up the blood typing cards, and took out the instrument that draws the blood. “Let’s find out your blood type”

“No you first!” I said scooting away from him.

“I already know my blood type, you don’t. So we have to test it to find out what it is.” He said.

I pouted, “but I don’t want too.”

“You have to, if you don’t want to prick your finger I’ll do it for you.”

“No I don’t trust you. Any chance you get at inflicting pain on me your willing to do it. I’ll do it myself” and I took the blood drawing device from him.

I cleaned my finger, and went to prick it, but couldn’t. I tried again, and I just couldn’t do it. He glared at me. I could see he was becoming angry. I was becoming frustrated with myself.  “Okay, You do it!” I said handing him the instrument.

“I knew this was going to happen.” He said taking it from me. “Give me your hand.”

I looked at him, and he stared at me. I then looked down at my own hand, “ohhhh” I sighed. I extended my arm toward him, and he went to prick me, when I pulled away. He glanced up at me, “sorry, can we count to three?” I asked

“Seriously you’re acting like a kid.”

“I’m sorry, I already told you I don’t like this.”

“Fine,” he said, “One, two, three…” and I pulled my hand away from him again. His eyes were angry, and I saw the scowl on his face. I tried to laugh it off, but it wasn’t working. He then grabbed my hand, when I least expected it, and pricked my finger. I yelped, and he looked up at me. “Did it really hurt that bad?” he asked sarcastically. My blood began to seep out of the small hole.

I looked at his eyes, and it seemed like there was a tint of red in them again.

I pulled my hand away from him, “No you just startled me, and didn’t tell me you were going to do that.” I pouted.

“It was the only way it would get done.” His voice sounded like a growl.

He took my hand and squeezed my finger, blood dripped out as he placed it on the blood typing card. He then put a Band-Aid on my finger.

I just watched him, mix the solutions with my blood. I think he knew that I wouldn’t do it.

“Now what?” I asked

“We wait.”

“For what?”

“A reaction.”

“You mean agglutination?” I asked him

He looked confused, “What? No we are looking for clumping of your red blood cells.”

“Yeah that’s what agglutination is. It’s when the antigen of the blood cell doesn’t match up with the antigen in the solution, if they are different, agglutination occurs.”

“Do you have to use such scientific vocabulary?”

“That’s what it’s called. So how long does this take?”

“Usually not long. If there isn’t any reaction that means you have blood type O. Which by this experiment you do.”

“I have the same blood type as you? How is that possible if they say that people with type O blood are supposed to be happy and social, which you are neither.”

Yong Guk’s eyes hardened, “You don’t know me well enough to say that.”

“Then let me get to know you.”
He growled, “If you’re not going to be pleasant leave!”

“I am, I’m just stating the obvious! Prove me wrong!”

“I don’t have to!”

“Yah! What’s your deal? Zelo said you’re troubled, what’s troubling you?”

“It’s none of your business!” he growled

“I’m trying to be nice and talk to you and all you do is get angry! Whatever your problem is you need to face it and move on! You can’t keep living your life like this! You being miserable is making it worse for the rest of us! You’re making us miserable!” I scolded

“Don’t tell me what to do! You’re not my mother!” he growled, I tried to stare him down, but he was too angry.
“I wouldn’t ever want to be your mother! I can’t believe she ever let you get away with treating girls like this let alone other people!” I exclaimed, and I grabbed my things.
“Don’t talk about my mother like that! You don’t even know her!” he yelled as I stormed out of the room. I went down stairs to find all the other boys except Daehyun in the family room with the lights off. I walked in, and they were watching a movie.
“Finally give up?” Himchan asked me.

“I can’t stand him! He was nice for one moment, and now he’s back to his old evil self. I knew it wasn’t going to last very long.” I said sighing.

“Noona you can stay with us we are watching a movie.” Zelo said inviting me over.

“Yeah you can sit right here.” Jongup patted the open space on the couch between him and Himchan.
I took up their offer I didn’t want to call CL. I hadn’t been there that long, and I didn’t want to cause trouble. So I sat down between the two, and they started the movie. I was shocked at how gory the film started out to be. I then noticed that hey had me watching a horror film about vampires. I hated horror movies, even though I know they weren’t real. I still didn’t like them. I grabbed the pillow next to me and cuddled it against my chest. Burying my face in the pillow during the scary parts. I had it so if you looked at me you could only see my eyes and up. I squeezed it, and closed my eyes at the freighting parts. Yongjae stood up and said, “I’m bored, this movie is lame, I’m going to go do something better with my time.”

“Himchan picked it! So don’t blame me!” Zelo stated, and Yongjae walked away. Shortly after that Jongup and Zelo got up and left because they were bored. I looked over at Himchan; he continued to still watch the film. “Are you going to leave too?” I asked.

“No I’m going to finish it.” He said, “Wae?”
“Just asking I put my face back in the pillow.”

“Are you scared?” he asked me

“Just a little…” I explained with my hands as I said that, “Don’t leave me here!”

He laughed, “It’s all fake anyway.”

“I know, just don’t leave me alone.”

That’s when Yong Guk walked in. He looked at the two of us, and then took a seat next to me. I grimaced at what was on the TV screen, and squeezed the pillow harder. Himchan’s cell phone went off, and he got up from where he was sitting and left the room to answer it. I was once again all alone with Yong Guk. I glanced up to him, he stared intensely and the screen, where blood was spraying everywhere. I didn’t like blood in the first place, so why was I watching this type of movie? Then I remembered they never told me that it was this kind of movie, and I was stuck watching it. The movie became scarier, and scarier. And without noticing, I was inching closer to Yong Guk. The monster cover in blood flashed on the screen, and a loud scream came from the TV. I jumped and buried my face into Yong Guk. I didn’t notice at first, and then I did. He didn’t do anything, and when he thought I wasn’t looking, I saw him glance down at me with kind eyes. I saw a small grin stretch across his face, and he placed his arm around me. I didn’t dare to move. Oddly enough, even though he scared me, I felt even safer in his arms than Daehyun’s. Every time I got scared I pressed my head into his chest, hiding my face from the screen. My heart pounded, and I didn’t know what to do, so I just sat there for the rest of the movie, with his arm cradled around me.