Home Alone...With Jongin

A Hand to Hold ; DISCONTINUED

After a few hours of talking and laughing, Kris said he needed to go somewhere. You felt bad that he was going to be gone, even if just for a little while, because you really needed his comfort. You couldn't tell anyone you felt bad and were sad. Kris was the only one who you believed could make you feel happy and stop crying. Yet there he was, leaving you alone.

"I'll be back soon, okay?" Kris promised. "Don't look so sad."

You chuckled, "I'm not sad."

He raised an eyebrow at you but said nothing more. Kris disappeared from the room. You stayed there, in the upstairs game room, and sighed. When you were alone, you really noticed Kai's absence. Where has he been, you asked yourself. How didn't I notice that he wasn't here?  You heard Kris' car start, and the sound slowly died off. Getting up, you hesistated. You knew you were frustrating him but you didn't know how.

But you did want to know why he was acting like that, what it was you might not be able to do, and what or who was the meaning of his life. He'd been cold and yet he was somewhat opening up to you. You might as well take advantage of this rare opportunity and get to know the man who has been protecting you.

You hurried down the stairs and called out his name several times. Jongin appeared in front of you a few moments later, head tilted to the side. A somewhat faked smile grew on your lips. Maybe Appa would want me to have the courtesy to get to know him, you wondered. Would Appa want me to? I have to make him proud. Kai shrunk away from you for a moment. The small action stung, but you felt him hug you.

"I know you're not okay, Yoonhee." He stated. "Don't smile if you're not okay. Just say you're not happy."

"H...how do you know?" You looked at his eyes. Gosh, he was beautiful eyes, you thought before you could stop yourself.

"I've been in nearly the same position as you."

"W-what do you mean?"

Kai took hold of your hand. It shocked you, almost literally. A small spark seemed to happen when your hands touched. He led you to the couch and was silent. You said nothing, not wanting to interrupt him.

"I...I lost my mother and my older brother in the same day. Believe me, I know how badly you're hurting and how much you could possibly hurt, Yoonhee."

Your jaw dropped. If you looked hard enough, you could see his eyes becoming slightly glossy, as if he was about to cry. Without a second thought, you hugged him. It just felt right to do so, like you belonged in his arms and him in yours, like he needed you at that moment.

Kai smiled in your arms-- not that you could see it, of course. He finally opened up to you and he finally felt your affection. Or pity, but it didn't seem to matter to him. He enjoyed the small moment in your arms before you released him. His facial expression went cold when you looked at him, but he felt the tears welling up.

"I..I'm sorry, Kai." You whispered.

He decided to be bold with you for the first time. Kai looked up at you and, with innocent eyes, shyly asked, "Could you hold me again?"

Time froze for you. You didn't even know you had engulfed him in another hug until you felt him slide his arms around you in return. Did he just ask me to hug him, you asked in disbelief. Nonetheless, you pulled him close to you and smiled.

Kai was also happy. He didn't see your smile, and you didn't see his. She's hugging me, Kai's smile widened at the thought. And she's not letting go. I don't want her to let go.

You didn't want to let go, either. The two of you sat there, arms around each other, silently happy. Neither of you were willing to release the other just yet. Both of you remained still for a while longer...and a little while longer...and a little while longer...until he reluctantly released you.

A strand of hair fell loosely in front of your face. Kai gently swept it behind your ear, his finger softly grazing your pale cheek. You blushed and looked down at the ground. Why is he acting like this, you asked yourself. This isn't like him. But...perhaps I like it...

"Thank you, Kai." You said suddenly.

"For what?" He raised an eyebrow.

"For...keeping me safe. For willingly protecting a girl who you'd never met. For shoving your fears behind you so you could help get rid of my own. For...for..." You couldn't bring yourself to say the next part.

Kai didn't even bother to hesitate anymore. He saw the tears b your eyes, and he bent down, placing his lips on the top of your head. You froze instantly. What is the doing, you asked yourself, looking up as he pulled away. Did he really just kiss the top of my head?

You stood up abruptly and blushed. "I...I...I need to use the bathroom." You cringed at your lie.

But in all truth, you needed to figure yourself out. In three minutes or less. Jongin nodded and watched you go. Away from him, you crumbled against a hallway wall, where he was unable to see you. You placed your hand over your heart and began to breathe easy.

You began to think, your mind rapidly shooting out thoughts.

Why would he kiss my head? He's never done that before. Why is he being so caring? He's usually been so cold. Could he like me? No, no...Don't be so ridiculous. He's just being a good friend. Are we friends? I suppose so...But why did I like being in his arms? Could I...Oh God no...I couldn't...I can't...

Oh but, I do.

But what about Kris? You nearly kissed him just yesterday. And here you've gone and fallen for another boy?  What do you feel about Kris, huh? Do you like him, too? Of course you do...but just not like that. Thank God Kai interrupted you two.

And now it's just the matter of telling him.

Dear God, I can't tell Kai I like him! I shouldn't like him...I'm not supposed to fall for him...I'm only supposed to respect him, not give him any trouble. I know he's only protecting me because he's required me but is it so bad to hope that maybe he's doing it because he likes me too? Will he just leave after he doesn't need to be here anymore? I don't see why he'd want to stay...

Meanwhile, Kai sat on the couch in disbelief. I can't believe I did that, he cringed, She probably knows I like her now. And then I'm going to get hurt. Good going, Kai. Look what you've done.

You appeared a few moments later and smiled happily at Kai. You plopped down on the couch next to him. He looked at you, unsure of what happened in the bathroom, but you seemed to glow. But with what? He couldn't put his finger on it, but he decided it made you look even more attractive than usual.

Even if he doesn't like me back, you thought, there's nothing I can do about it now.

"I...I'm feeling tired, Kai. I'm going to take a nap." You rubbed your neck sheepishly and your heels.

"O-okay." He replied.

You your heels and took a step forward. A hand gripped your waist and spun you around. You hit Kai's chest and felt him wrap his arms around you. You blushed and looked up at him.

"It'll be okay, Yoonhee." He promised, looking right in your eyes. "So, if you ever need to cry or let something out...Just...just come to me."

"K-kai? Why are you being like this?" You questioned.

"Because..." He began and bit his lip. "I'm supposed to protect you. I'm supposed to want you to be okay."

He let go of you and turned around. He walked away. You bit your lip and went to take a nap, feeling even more tired. I knew it, you thought to yourself, he doesn't care at all.

Though, Kai thought to himself as he ran his hand through his hair in frustration, Good going, Kai. You could've told her right then and there. What's wrong with you?