Blue Tomorrow

100 suju fic challenge!!

 

Title: Blue Tomorrow

Pairing: Donghae/ Kibum

Theme: Glow.

Rating: PG, angst,

Word count: without epilogue: 1640

with epilogue: 1940

Summary: "Till sapphire balloons fill the world."

 

Tomorrow, I’ll wish upon the star alone.

 

They looked up into the sky, it was littered with millions of stars, a full moon; it was mid-autumn festival. A gust of wind ruffled their hair.

 

“I'll miss this,”Donghae sighed as he looked to Kibum for a brief second than back into the sky.

 

“I will too,” he was smiling, Donghae could hear it.

 

“How about we make a promise. In a year's time, let's be here, together, looking at the moon,” he suggested still captivated by the night sky.

 

“Deal,”

 

A shooting star flew across the sky. Donghae silently made a wish. A wish to happen in a year's time.

 

“Hyung...” Kibum trailed off as his makeup artist asked him to tilt his head slightly to the left, he was nervous, it was their opening stage for their first ever Super Show.

 

“You know what? I used to dream of having my own concert! I never thought that I would actually come this far,” Eunhyuk babbled on as the stylist gave him a slightly irritated look.

 

Donghae, in between both boys, remained silent. He thought about the dance moves, the audience. He was nervous, as well as afraid he would flaw up.

 

The nerves, he didn't want to mess up the choreography.

 

“Hyung, are you okay?” Kibum read Donghae's emotions easily, like an open book.

 

“Yeah,” he nodded hardly listening.

 

It was almost time for them to appear on stage. Donghae heard the cheers from behind the curtains, his heart raced. The opening VCR ended, it was queue for them to appear on stage.

 

They walked out one by one doing the rehearsed introductions until all thirteen were on stage. “Uri Super Juni-OREYO!” Leeteuk said into the mic as they showed a 'five' sign. The fans cheered, “Uri ELF oreyo!,” as they waved their sapphire blue lightsticks in the air. That sense of satisfaction being able to perform.

 

After all, they had decided on the music career path due to their passion; singing dancing, rapping.

 

Strings of the same shade of balloons were released onto the audience.

 

“Sapphire blue,” Donghae smiled as he whispered into Kibum's ear.

 

Till sapphire blue balloons fill the world,”

 

“Kibum, don't you feel tired?” Donghae asked as he looked out of the van's window into the night sky. The day had been hectic, rushing to meet the never-ending schedules.

 

“A little, I guess,” he sighed placing his hand against the window, towards the moon. It was a lie, he felt really tired, really really tired. All he wanted was a good nights' sleep. His eyelids closed but he forced it open. If he had slept, it would be nearly impossible to wake him up till daybreak.

 

It wasn't really about passion anymore. He had used to enjoy singing, leisure singing, but would rather acting, that's why he auditioned with his acting.

 

He had made a grave error, writing 'singing' under the likes section. The judges has asked to sing during the audition, and so he did. He was shortlisted and placed into a band, a band called Super Junior.

 

He is tired, and no longer doing this out of passion. He was doing it because he was told to, just because he signed the contract.

 

He had just received the news after filming for a variety show, Donghae's dad had passed on after a long fight with cancer.

 

The thought of Donghae crying sent him rushing over to Mokpo, Donghae's hometown.

 

As he entered the room where the funeral was held, he spotted Donghae near the front of the room near the casket. He looked at him and gave him a weak smile, his eyes were bloodshot and tears stained his face.

 

“Hyung, are you okay?” Kibum went over and gave him a hug.

 

“I'm fine,” he broke off.

 

“Oh, so you are Kibum-sshi Donghae always talks about,” Donghae's mother passed him a cup of mineral water.

 

“Ye,” He gave a simple nod as he bowed and greeted her than proceeded to pay his respects to Donghae's father.

 

As he was doing this, he can't help but look back at Donghae, he looked so fragile at that moment. He just wished that he could hold him in his arms and help him bear the pain, just for this moment.

 

It was late in the evening, he sat on the rooftop, dreaming of what life would be if he didn't join this company, maybe he would be in his room watching the television, dreaming of being an actor.

 

An idea struck him. An actor, that's what he'd be.

 

He dug out his cell phone, this call was so important it couldn't wait for tomorrow.

 

“I'm leaving,”

 

“Leaving what?”

 

“Super Junior, in two weeks time,”

 

Why? How? What next?

 

Questions spun endlessly in Donghae's mind. The champagne glass in his hand slipped through his fingers and crashed onto the marble floor.

 

“What's going on?” Leeteuk shouted from the room next door.

 

“H-he's leaving,” Donghae muttered, more to remind himself than to answer the question. He stood up and dragged his feet across the hall to his room.

 

He hurled himself onto the bed and cried himself to sleep.

 

He wished what he said, was all a dream.

 

No hesitations, it seems.

 

A few nights later, after telling Donghae, he told the rest of the group as well. They, as well, deserved to know.

 

The day had arrived, he took his luggage, dragged it to the door. He gave everyone a hug, everyone except Donghae, who sat meekly at the corner of the sofa, his eyes red and puffy.

 

“Goodbye Donghae,” Kibum gave Donghae a smile, “Don't worry too much, I'll do well,”

 

And with that, he put on the new pair of shoes Eunhyuk gave him as a farewell gift and walked out of the door, with no second looks.

 

Donghae couldn't help it, he broke out crying. Leeteuk, sitting beside him, patted his back.

 

It's not an END, but an AND.”

 

Donghae stared into the endless drag of space. It has already been a month. One month of struggling and and of tears.

 

It was a different feeling as from before. He was gone. It didn't help that the moon and stars weren't present today. It was dark, the only source of illumination was from the lamp nearby.

 

He laid on the same spot as before, reminiscing.

 

That promise he made. Left shattered all over the ground like that champagne glass. All he thought was himself, he never did consider my feelings, did he?

 

“By tomorrow, I will forget him,” I whispered, it's time to let go.

 

Tears naturally came, as did the rain did. And the night dragged on.

 

By tomorrow, you'll leave our sides.

It hurts so much doesn't it?

When it's tomorrow, I’ll wish upon the star alone.

Broken promises,

Your shadow, it's drifting further and further away...

 

“Kibum, he has been crying,” it was the first time Kibum had met up with Leeteuk after he had left.

 

“And it's not just once, but he's doing it daily. Everyday, after his schedules end, he would return to the dormitory and shut himself in his room. He would refuse to eat till it was around 2 or 3 in the morning and the food is already cold. Kibum, do you think you can help him get back up before you leave, for real?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Sure,” He'd listen to me won't he.

(Change of POV)

 

His eyes, they were slightly swollen, a sign of crying. I felt really bad.

 

“I am sorry,” I looked at him.

 

“About what?” He asked.

 

“That promise, the one made on the roof top,”

 

I waited, for that single sentence, “It's okay, I forgive you,” Only if he said that would I be able to forgive myself.

 

“I don't remember,” he said nonchalantly as he fiddled with his blue striped bow tie.

 

He... he doesn't remember. My chest felt heavy, how I wanted to force the words out of his mouth. But it doesn't matter anymore, there would be nothing to forgive right? If only, if only I had kept that simple promise. A promise made by two friends on the roof top.

 

“Why did you invite me here?” Donghae entered Kibum's house.

 

It was in the late afternoon, the heat was sweltering. Donghae used his sleeve to wipe off stray beads of perspiration on his forehead.

 

“Take a seat,” Kibum said as he altered the air conditioner and handed him a cup of ice water.

 

“It's nothing much, just hadn't had time to catch up with you these days,” Kibum answered as he sipped water from his cup.

 

“Excuse me for a moment whilst I use the restroom, feel free to watch the television,” Kibum smiled as he handed Donghae the remote as he entered his bedroom.

 

“Kibum-ah, is there something wrong with your television?”Donghae jabbed the remote's buttons multiple times.

 

“Kibum?” as there was no reply, he approached the main bedroom where he thought Kibum might be.

 

Unexpectedly, Donghae was grabbed from behind, a pillow pressed against his face. As he struggled, the grip tightened. He tried to scream but all that came out was muffles. At that moment, the hand released, but Donghae was already motionless as he collapsed onto the cold marble floor.

 

Kibum gasped, what had he done?

 

He immediately went to check for pulse and breathing. Nothing.

 

Epilogue

 

The serene sounds of the waves crashing against the rocky cliffs beneath me. The salty sea breeze messing my hair. The reflection of the full moon against the clear waters.

 

My legs hung dangerously over the cliff, but it didn't bother me. It felt just like the night we made that promise. Just that he wasn't there.

 

Sweat, tears and a jumble of incoherent thoughts.

 

It was all my fault. If only, if only I had kept that simple promise. I was young and reckless. I should have thought about the members, I should have thought about him and not just about myself.

 

An owl hooted in the distance. Shivers ran up my spine.

 

Just then, his phone beeped, Leeteuk.

 

Have you seen Donghae? I'm worried.

 

It is my fault. My fault Donghae is gone. He looked up at the full moon, their promise and placed his cell phone beside him.

 

“Donghae, I'm sorry,” he mumbled.

 

He urged his body forward. He was falling, falling.

 

Down, down down he went.

 

Pain and agony surged through his body. Donghae's muffled scream played him his head. It replayed over and over more intensively each time that he could not take it.

 

He shouted as his body broke the surface of the water.

 

His head started pulsing wildly, air, that was what he needed. He inhaled. A sharp and entered his lungs.

 

As sudden as it happened, the pain was gone. He opened his eyes, there was a soft glow. He turned to his right, there he was. Donghae, standing right beside him, smiling.

 

The time he spent with Donghae on the rooftops. Their debut. The sapphire blue lightsticks. Happiness, joy. Donghae smiling.

 

He felt like all his burdens were gone, dropped to the bottom of the sea like an anchor. For once, he actually felt happy, happier than when he was shortlisted, happier than when he acted.

 

“Would you forgive me?” I asked.

 

“Maybe,” he shrugged, “when sapphire blue balloons fill the world.”

A/N: Annyeong~ Here's yet another post after so long. Sorry bout that. I hope I've improved~ It's not easy coming up a plot for Kihae... Sigh. I hope I would return with the next fic soon enough since this one took FOREVER. And yeah, thanks if you are still here to read. I doubt there are any though. oops.