The two of us together...

Crazy Girl In Love

Jin Woon gasped as he saw Jiyeon the next day. SHe was wearing a big t-shirt and cargo shorts. She ditched her five-inch-heeled shoes for sneakers. On her head, she wore a cap with the visor turned at the back. Her hair was in two braids even when wet. She didn't even wear make up. But she still managed to look girly. She wore a clear lip gloss on her lips and wore strawberry-scented perfume.

"Whoa! D..did you kidnap the Princess? Who am I seeing today but a breaker!"

Jiyeon hit him on his arm.

"Breaker? For your information, I don't know how to breakdance! And besides, we in the upper echelons look down on those kind of back-breaking kind of dance moves!"

"Aish, that's why I don't like you! You think you're all high and mighty when you're just pretending to be ritzy!"

"I am ritzy, my dear Oppa, but this is not the right place for me to be too girly. Cut the crap...shall we go now?"

Jin Woon scoffed. "Just don't come crying to me when your feet hurt from all that walking. And people might think you're a fake since you're wearing that kind of stuff yet your skin is like porcelain to them. They might see through you to be rich."

"Then you be my bodyguard!"

"OMO? The taekwondo jin just asked me, who do not know martial arts, to be your bodyguard? Get real!"

And Jin Woon went to his garage to retrieve his motorcycle. Jiyeon hopped in the backseat after wearing her helmet. They went to the public market. Jiyeon could not hide her awe as it was the first time she had been in such a kind of place. The elderly peddlers smiled every time Jiyeon squealed. But Jin Woon could not hide his embarrassment.

"Jiyeon, stop it!"

"But Oppa, I didn't know this is how you pick your vegetables! It makes me appreciate my cook even more!"

Jiyeon bought a piece of apple to hide her hunger. She helped Jin Woon carry one of his sacks of the things they bought. Suddendly, Jiyeon saw an old Franciscan Monk who had just arrived to the marketplace. He was simply wearing his habit. On his feet, one of the sandal straps was broken. Jiyeon then asked Jin Woon if there's someone who sells sandals. When Jin Woon pointed out to Jiyeon his maternal aunt, Jiyeon then went and bought a pair of sandals. She even bought some fruits, vegetables and fishes. She went up to the monk and humble presented to him her gift. The old monk smiled and thanked her profusely. He gave Jiyeon a rosary, who which Jiyeon smiled and thanked the monk. In reality, she didn't know what to make of it since she wasn't Catholic. But nevertheless, she kept the Rosary.

Jin Woon looked at Jiyeon when she came back to him.

"Why did you do that?"

"Because you see, his sandals are so tattered I wonder if it would last him. And I may not be Catholic, but I do know that Franciscans lived austere lives. They do not have material things so they depend on the generosity of others. My eomma used to donate to the religious organizations too though she isn't Catholic."

"Jinjja? Can you really do that?"

"Ne. Kindness knows no bounds. It pays to be kind to anybody, no matter what his race or religion is."

"Waaahhhh..I can't believe I'd be hearing that from you, Princess. Nicole never talks about such things."

And so, they went home. Jin Woon promised to Jiyeon that they would go to a fair that night since there's a fair every first Saturday of the month. He said it'll be exciting and the things are much more different compared to Jiyeon's affluent playgrounds.

***

That night, Jin Woon went to Jiyeon's house. He was surprised to see the change of clothing as Jiyeon wore a pink baby tee, a black mini-skirt, and flipflops. A crossbody bag with chain sling round across her body. Her hair was down, and she again wore her make up with her falsies on her eyes. She still wore a colorless lipgloss and strawberry perfume.

"Now, this is the princess I'm used to seeing," Jin Woon commented.

Jiyeon smiled and looked at him. "You..do you like me?"

"You wish," Jin Woon said as he gave her an extra helmet. They rode on his motorcycle and headed for the fair.

The fair was extravagant and lively, much more than what Jiyeon had expected from such middle-class fun. Jiyeon pointed to so many things she could see, like she wanted to buy cotton candies. She wanted Jin Woon to take pictures of her eating the candies, or doing her aegyo poses alongside clowns, or peddlers, or in booths were she played. Then she would also take Jin Woon's pictures. She even grabbed him so that they could have pictures together. But Jin Woon protested.

"Ya, Nicole might not like it when she sees these."

"Are you and Nicole back together?"

"Well, we' re still in the process of getting back together. It was my fault we broke up, but she forgave me for that. No third parties involved. Ani, let me correct that: my band was the third party. It wasn't that I didn't love her anymore, it was because I have pride in my band."

Jiyeon's smile faded. Now that she was happy because she was finally with Jin Woon, he gave the news that he and Nicole were on the process of getting back together. She tried her best, however, to put her best smile to hide her hurt. Jin Woon, however, cannot be fooled. He saw that look many times in Nicole's face, and he guessed that Jiyeon must have felt hurt. But he didn't want to tell her straight in the face. Yes, he did have told her a lot of times he didn't liker her, but telling her now when her true feelings had surfaced was to him not worth blurting out. Jin Woon knew he had to be sensitive to a girl's feeling when it comes to things like this.

"Jiyeon, had you tried riding on a ferris wheel?"

"Huh? Ehhh..ani...I haven't tried it."

"Gaja," Jin Woon said as he held Jiyeon's hand. Jiyeon could feel her heart racing. She felt herself blush even after Jin Woon released her hand to get his wallet to buy tickets. Then they went to one of the carousels and took their seats, with Jin Woon sitting opposite Jiyeon. The ferris wheel slowly came to life. Jiyeon could not help but gaze among the stars in the country skies. The sound of the music accompanying the rolling of the ferris wheel did not bother her. Instead, she felt like it was calm around her: no noise, no pollution, and she didn't notice Jin Woon staring at her. 

"Yeppuda..." Jiyeon whispered.

"What is?"

But Jiyeon didn't answer. She was very much mesmerized with the stars that she started to raise her fingers and began to draw an outline of the Orion constillation. And then she saw a meteorite.

"Whoa, a shooting star!"

Jiyeon then clasped her hands and chanted.

"Star light, star bright,
The first star I see tonight;
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight."

Jin Woon cocked his head and gave a funny look at Jiyeon.

"What is this? Do you still believe in shooting stars? Are you even a child?"

Jiyeon released her hands and looked at Jin Woon. 

"I don't believe in shooting stars, but since I've seen one, I'm trying to remember my nursery rhymes."

"PArk Jiyeon, not only are you reckless and impudent, but you're also childish!"

"Why? What's so wrong with that?"

"What's wrong? You're nearing adulthood, and you're still acting that way! Grow up Jiyeon! It's not as if people will accomomodate all of your whims!"

Jiyeon stuck out her tongue and then looked back again at the stars in the sky. She had been staring long enough she didn't realize the ride had ended. Jin Woon tapped her shoulders. He told her the ride was over and that they'd be going somewhere else in the fair. But Jiyeon was still sullen.

"Gwaenchanha?"

"I'm tired. Can we just go home?"

"Jiyeon, we've been here for an hour only. I don't believe you could be that tired."

And so, Jiyeon relented. They next went to a mini-noraebang where Jiyeon belted out for a good fifteen minutes. As she was about to go out of the tent, the people demanded more. And so, Jiyeon started to ask for any songs by Miss A, T-ara, nor 2ne1 where she could dance. And dance she did. The audience howled in laughter and kept clapping theri hands. Jin Woon sat in the corner, smiling as he looked at Jiyeon dancing to T-ara's "Lies". Then, Jiyeon told the audience that she'd be singing one last song. She sang Faith Hill's "If I'm Not in love." She halfheartedly sang the song partly because she was embarrassing herself in front of the people, and also because she couldn't pronounce her English well. But to Jin Woon, the song implied something.

***

"Tired?" Jin WOon asked.

"I told you two hours ago I wanted to go home."

"See? Didn't I just told you this morning not to come running to me when your feet hurts?"

Jiyeon slapped Jin Woon's arm. 

"Ya, you're so abusive!" Jin Woon complained.

"My feet don't hurt, arrasseo?"

"Wae? Is your heart aching?"

Jiyeon's eyes suddenly opened wide as she looked at Jin Woon. "What do you mean by that?"

Instead of answering her question, Jin Woon told Jiyeon to hop on the motorcycle.

"We're going someplace."

***

Jin Woon lead Jiyeon to a small lake at the foot of the hill. He sat on the ground as Jiyeon sat too. She was quiet the whole trip and was confused how Jin Woon could had seen right through her.

"Feeling cold?" he asked her to break the silence.

"Gwaenchanha," Jiyeon said as she looked at the reflection of the moon on the lake. She gazed up again up the skies. The crickets were humming their lullabies in the night, and Jiyeon liked the sound. She smiled as tears silently fell from her eyes. She then raised a finger and began to draw the outline of other stars in the sky. She then lowered her arm and continued to gaze up in the sky, inhaling the clean breeze in her wanting lungs. She didn't notice Jin Woon lying on the ground beside her, observing her back. It just came to his attention that the fabric of her shirt was thin and that he could see the outline and color of her bra.

"Jiyeon, I just came to notice why you wore this shirt. I could literally guess the color of your bra."

But Jiyeon didn't answer. She kept staring at the sky like she was wanting to get the stars in the sky and smash them right onto Jin Woon's face. Jin Woon suddenly got up when his comment remained unanswered. He inched forward to steal a glance at Jiyeon. It was then he realized that her lips were trembling and that tears ahd already fallen from her eyes.

"Mianhe..Jiyeon."

"Huh? Ah..mianhe, Oppa. I'm feeling over-sentimental here. Mianhe.." Jiyeon said as she wiped her tears. But Jin Woon held her hand

"I'm sorry for hurting you..."

"Oppa..."

"I saw through you when I told you Nicole and I are about to make our relationship work again. I'm sorry if I hurt you because of that. But forgive me. I never felt the same way for you.."

Jiyeon blinked her eyes and swallowed. She breathed hard and smiled, making a fist and said. "I'm fine Oppa, really. You don't have to apologize. I'm sorry for liking you, Oppa. I promise tonight I won't like you anymore."

"Jiyeon, hajiman.."

Jiyeon shook a finger at Jin Woon. "There'll be no excuses Oppa. Tomorrow, when you see me, I'll be smiling again. I'll forget that I liked you, and then things will be all right between us, right?"

Jin Woon held Jiyeon's wrist. "No, things will never be all right between us. You and I are both in a complicated situation where someone is threatening our lives. And now that I saw what your feelings are for me, what I thought about you had gradually been changed as I see you in different angles every single day."

Jiyeon lowered her eyes so that he could not see anymore what's she's hiding.

"Why did you sing that song?"

"Huh? Which song?"

"That song before we left the noraebang."

Jiyeon looked at him again, puzzled. "Are you telling me I sang it because I gave you hidden meanings? Mianhe, Oppa, but I just happened to love that song. And my eomma loved that too.I wanted to practice my English by singing in English. There's nothing more to it."

"Geurae?"

"Ne!"

Jin Woon sighed and moved his hand from Jiyeon's wrist to her hand. He squeezed her hand and smiled.

"Arrasseo. Jiyeon, from now on, I will never call you wench. We may fight in school, but you will always be a welcomed guest at the coffee shop. Let's be friends."

"Neh.." Jiyeon answered. At the recesses of her feelings, she felt hurt again. She finally saw that what Jin Woon could only offer her was friendship and nothing more.

***

Jin Woon dropped Jiyeon at her house. The gal returned the helmet and thanked her benefactor.

"Pack your things early tomorrow. Have breakfast at my house. I'll also be cooking our lunch before we depart from Seoul. How does that sound?"

Jiyeon showed him a thumbs up sign. Then, just before Jin Woon took off, Jiyeon went up to him and gave him a small kiss on his cheek.

"Mweoyo?" Jin Woon asked, confused.

"Well, can't I not give a fan's kiss?"

"A what?"

"I'm your number one fan now. Can't I not give you a good night kiss?"

Jin Woon smirked. "A fan? Okay. Good night, fan. And sleep well. We have a long day tomorrow. Annyeong." 

Jiyeon waved and said her goodbyes as Jin Woon's motorcycle sped off. She then touched her lips, remembering the smooth skin her lips had touched upon. And tears fell again from her eyes as she looked at the smoke that trailed off her crush's path.

Mianhe, Jin Woon Oppa. This could never be a fan's kiss of admiration. For I realize I've deeply fallen in love with you.