Bloody Monday

Crazy Girl In Love

Everyone has memories they choose to bury and forget. But if there's one memory I'd choose to forget, this is it. But no matter how hard I try to forget it, it plays in my dreams like a broken record. Countless nights, I had dreams of this one, with revisions.

It was one Monday afternoon when I was twelve. I was sitting on the benches outside the school gates, waiting for my chauffer to arrive. I watched boredly as people passed by me. As it was already five in the afternoon, people were in a hurry to go home. And it was rush hour too for the most part.

The cars rolled slowly down the busy street. Some honked the horns of their cars to make the other cars move faster. I got so irritated I covered my ears so that I wouldn't hear the noise. And finally, the cars moved, this time with ease and less traffic. It was as if a hand had managed to push the cars so that they would not be an eyesore for me.

Suddenly, a fast-moving sports car coming from the west side was approaching east. On the street I was facing, at the intersection, the light was red. The sports car abruptly came to a stop, but you know the laws in physics. It took him a long time to do so, and with much greater distance. However, it was too late. The driver hit a man on a motorcycle and some cars coming from north to south where the light was green. . The man on the motorcycle flew a great distance from the intersection towards the front of the school, and landed right in front of me. It was a mess. The traffic enforcers were in full alert, trying to manage the situation. They caught the man who happened to be drunk. Some called ambulances from different hospitals. An ajussi happened to witness the incident. He was a paramedic, and he called his colleagues on his cellphone. He knew he shouldn't move the man, for he feared the victim might have broken his vertebrae. When his colleagues and an ambulance came, they tried to remove his helmet with care. I was so aghast to see blood running down from his helmet. Blood, lots of it. The man was unconcious. Someone was saying about a concussion on the head, and that they should get to the hospital immediately, lest the patient dies. As the ambulance rolled, some policemen secured the place with tapes that says POLICE LINE- DO NOT CROSS. I was in shock I didn't realize that my chauffer had arrived and had parked the car a distance from the crime scene. He went out of the car and pulled me aside, but I couldn't move. I was very pale, and suddenly, I fainted. I barely remember hearing the chauffer call me..Ms Jiyeon, Ms Jiyeon, wake up!...For in my mind, the color and amount of blood left on the road was what I saw even when I was unconcious.