“So, do I need to give you the same warning you gave me?”

Die of Embarrassment

 

Dari stared at his reflection in the mirror and fixed his crooked vest for the hundredth time. He frowned when he saw the lines between his brows deepening. He rubbed his forehead, hoping to somehow make the lines disappear. He sighed at his fruitless attempt. Who was he kidding? It will probably stay there until she became Simon’s. After the ceremony is over, he would flee. Hopefully, she would be happy enough not to worry about him.

He ran his fingers across his lips, reminiscing the kiss he shared with Mona. Yes, he was mad drunk at the time, but the feel of her lips never left his mind, not even after two whole years of being apart. There were many girls during those two years. They were able to ease his boredom, but none of them could fill the giant gaping hole in his heart. Was he fine? He remembered telling her that he would call her once he was fine. That day, he called on impulse. He didn't know what fuelled it. Maybe he missed her terribly. He wanted to go home, and when Intae called, he used that as an excuse to return to Seoul and see Mona. How was he to know that Simon was going to propose to her?

What was that saying? Time heals? Was two years enough to heal his broken heart? Granted that he wasn’t pining for her like he used to, he still loves her. Another sigh escaped his lips. If you really love someone, you would let them go. That was another saying he had learnt during the years. Maybe he should, considering she was never his in the first place... He exhaled loudly and stuck his chin out. Where was his swagger? His army friends would not recognize him for sure. Since when did he become such a er for love? He had wallowed enough in self-pity and despair. It was really time that he let her go, and let her be happy with Simon, and he...be happy for her. It wouldn’t do that he stood in their way... After all, he had already congratulated them and gave them his blessing...

Jeesu greeted him as soon as he arrived at the lavishly decorated ballroom. “Hyung!”

“Ahh... Jeesu yah. Where’s everyone?” Dari asked, smiling at him.

“They’re inside. C’mon in.” Jeesu gestured.

“Dari.”

The voice stopped him from entering and he looked over his shoulder, only to see Simon looking back at him, his face emotionless for someone who was about to get married.

“Jeesu yah, you go in first. I’ll meet you inside.” Dari said, literally pushing Jeesu away.

“Thank you.” Simon said once he was sure they were alone.

Dari raised his eyebrow at the other man. “For what?”

Simon cleared his throat before replying, clearly finding it difficult. “For giving us your blessing. When you came that night, you had no idea how glad I was. Her face lit up. She was so happy... Thank you.”

“Just so you know, I’m really not doing this for you.” Dari replied, looking down at Simon.

“I know.” Simon said quietly. “I’m really sorry that you had to let go of someone you really love. But who knows, maybe there’s someone else for you right around the corner.” Simon added.

“I doubt that. I’m really not ready for anything right now.” Dari scoffed.

“Oh...”

“I know I said this earlier, but I swear if you ever make her cry, I’ll...”

“You’ll punch me, you’ll snap me to pieces, I know.” Simon cut in, a smile on his lips. “You can do whatever you want with me, I’m just glad you came.”

Dari huffed and looked away. It was awkward for him. He was sure it wasn’t easy for Simon either. He wondered if they’d ever be friends... Maybe in the near future. Right now, he just wanted the ceremony to be over, before he changed his mind about letting Mona go.

“So err...” Dari said clearing his throat. “Have you seen Mona?”

“I thought it’s bad luck to see the bride before the wedding.” Simon replied, furrowing his brow. “But if you want to see her, she’s in that room down the hall.” Simon continued.

“Right, I think I’ll go see her for a while.” Dari said. He turned around and was about to walk away when Simon’s voice stopped him once again.

“Dari... hyung.” Simon said quietly. Dari’s shoulders tensed but he did not turn around. “Thank you... again.” Simon said to his back. “I promise you, I’ll never hurt her...”

Dari smiled to himself and made his way towards Mona’s room. Maybe he could trust him now. After all, Mona did choose him as her life partner. What good would it do to him if he kept this grudge against the man? He knocked on the door and stepped in when someone from the inside granted entrance.

Mona had her back to him, but there was no denying her beauty. Her back view looked elegant; he wondered what her front view would look like. Almost as if she read his thoughts, she turned around and flashed him a smile, her dress swirling around her. For a second, he forgot how to breathe and his heart literally jumped to his throat. He took a step closer towards her, all the while admiring how beautiful she looked. He could feel his palms beginning to sweat and he smiled nervously at her, his confidence shaken.

“Oppa.” Mona grinned. “How do you think I look?”

“Perfect.” He managed to finally croak out. “Just perfect...”

“Why, thank you.” Mona said, still grinning. She turned to look at her reflection in the mirror once again and fixed her veil. “You don't look so bad yourself.”

Dari merely smiled at her, not trusting himself enough to speak. He might just say something stupid and ruin everything. He shouldn’t say anything. He didn't want to spoil what was supposed to be the happiest day of her life. He would keep the smile on his face, and pretended that he was fine with everything, because he is. He is... He has to be.

Mona saw the conflicting emotions on his face and she furrowed her brow worriedly. She grabbed his hand and stared deep into his eyes. “Oppa, are you ok?”

Dari widened the smile on his face and nodded his head. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“I just...” Mona started before she wrapped her arms around him. “Thank you for giving us your blessings. You have no idea what this means to me...”

Dari sighed inwardly before he too, wrapped his arms around her. “Don't worry about it. I’m happy for you. I really am. Simon... is a great guy. And he’s your forever after, I get it.”

“Thank you oppa.”

“So erm, this dress...” Dari said when they pulled apart. “Looks familiar.”

Mona giggled. “That’s because it is. It’s omma’s. I asked okaasan to make some alterations so that it’d fit me.”

Dari raised his eyebrow. “Okaasan?”

“Ahh... Simon’s mom, she’s Japanese.” Mona explained. “Oppa, do you remember when I used to put on this dress?”

Dari chuckled. “We would pretend to get married. But the dress kept falling off your shoulder coz it was too big on you.”

“And you would hold it up for me as I pretend to say my vow.” Mona laughed.

“I still remember that deal we made.” Dari said softly. “If neither of us were married by the time you turn 30, we would marry each other.”

“Oppa...” Mona breathed.

Dari cupped her face and ran his thumb over her cheek slowly. “I still remember the kiss too you know... you probably thought that I’d forget it, ‘cause I was super drunk at the time, but I still remember...”

“Dari oppa...”

Dari quickly removed his hands and stood up. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that... Miahn.”

“Ani... you didn't do anything wrong.” Mona shook her head.

“I should go back to the hall. The ceremony’s going to start soon.” Dari said, pointing at the door.

“Right.”

“Congratulations again...” Dari said with a smile before walking out.

Not a while later, the music started and the door to the hall was pulled open, revealing Mona in the arm of her father. The guests on either side stood up and clapped, welcoming the bride. Mona smiled at the many familiar faces before her eyes focused on the groom up on the altar. She still remembered the day he picked her up for Intae’s party. She pictured herself walking towards him in much the same way, except this time it was for real. He was handsome back then, but no one can compare to the way he looked now in his black suit. And that smirk of his... so annoying yet so attractive at the same time. She smiled back at him as her father handed her over to him. She watched as he bowed respectfully at her father before taking her hand and leading her up to the altar.

Simon’s heart literally stopped when the door to the hall was opened. Mona looked breathtakingly beautiful in her wedding dress, but he couldn't help thinking what she would look like outside of that dress. He wanted the ceremony to end quickly, so that he could whisk her way to their secret honeymoon spot. He smiled inwardly, thanking the heavens for making him feel so blessed. As he grabbed hold of her hand, he promised himself that he would never let her go, not in this lifetime, not ever...

“I love you...” He mouthed to her.

Dari watched as they exchanged their vows. He would not cry. He was too strong for that. Mona no longer meant anything to him, he has to learn to let her go. He couldn't protect her anymore. She was not under his protection any longer... She belonged to Simon now, and he would not do anything to hurt her. He would be happy for her, just like he promised...

“Hey man, you ok?” Intae whispered to him.

“Ahh erm, yeah...” Dari replied, looking away.

He breathed a sigh of relief once the ceremony was over. He was glad he didn't stand to object their marriage, and clapped with the rest of the guests as the newlyweds make their way to their wedding dinner in the next room. He waited until everyone was out before dragging his feet along. He wasn’t exactly looking at where he was going when he bumped into someone.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry.” Dari said, quickly bending down to pick up her purse.

“Aniyo. Gwaenchanayo.” The lady replied.

Dari looked up and met her eyes. They were mesmerizing, and the smile she wore on her face was even more so, exposing her pearly white teeth. She caught him by surprise, that was for sure. He cleared his throat and smiled back at her.

“So,” He started slowly. “I’m assuming you’re a friend of the groom.”

She laughed, the sound tinkling in Dari’s ears, and nodded her head. “How did you know?”

“Well, I’ve been a friend of the bride for quite a long time, I’m pretty sure I know all her friends.”

“What a coincidence! I’m a childhood friend of Simon’s as well!” She said excitedly. “I just came from Canada.”

“Interesting.” Dari said. “I’m Dari by the way.” He added, extending his hand for a shake.

The lady smiled at him and took his hand. “Gina. It’s nice to meet you Dari sshi.”

“Nice to meet you.” Dari replied. “Hey, erm, if you’re not doing anything later, I can show you around Seoul. Take you sightseeing... or whatever.”

Gina chuckled. “That... sounds nice. Yeah, I’d love that.”

“Great. I’ll see you later then.” Dari said with a smile.

“You’re not going to their wedding dinner?”

“I’ll be there in a while.” Dari replied. He watched her walked away and smiled to himself. Wow, he didn't realise it, but his heart was beating really fast. He had never really felt this way before. It had always been Mona... maybe it was about time he moved on...

“I see you met Gina.” Simon suddenly said from the doorway.

“Ahh... Simon.”

“So, do I need to give you the same warning you gave me?” Simon smirked as he made his way over to the older man.

Dari scoffed. “Please... don’t. You don't want to be an like me.”

Simon snickered. “I told you hyung, love really was just around the corner.”

Dari wrapped his arm around the groom’s shoulder and smiled at him. “Looks like it really was. Now, c’mon. Let’s go eat. I’m really hungry.”

~~~

“Don’t worry Mona. We have everything packed.” JiEun reassured her.

“What exactly do you mean by that?” Mona asked as she fixed her hair.

“Oh you know, lingerie... bikinis... in many different colours.” EunJi smirked.

“There’s blue, white, black, red, purple... and all the shades in between.” Jo said with a laugh.

“Unnie!” Mona blushed. “I don’t even know where he’s taking me! For all I know, he might be taking me someplace that’s winter right now.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it. He already told us it’s somewhere warm and by the beach.” Lia smiled.

“Really? Did he say anything else?” Mona asked, interested.

“Nope. C’mon, let’s go. If not, you’ll be late.” Jo said, ushering her out the room.

They were saying their goodbyes minutes later when Dari caught her eye. She leaned in towards Simon and whispered. “Is that Gina unnie, talking to Dari oppa?”

“Yup.” Simon grinned. “Looks like they hit it off huh?”

Mona smiled. “Yeah... This is great! Let me just say goodbye to him.” Mona said before heading towards Dari. “Oppa...”

“Ahh Mona.” Dari said, pulling her in for a hug. “Have fun at your honeymoon. We’ll be right here waiting for you when you come back ok?”

“Ok oppa.” Mona replied. She looked at Gina and smiled at her. “Unnie, take good care of Dari oppa for me?”

“Mona, I don't need to be taken care of.”

Gina lightly slapped his arm. “Don’t be silly.” She said to him before she turned towards Mona. “Don't worry Mona. You can count on me. Have fun with Simon ok? And get a tan, you really need one.”

Mona laughed and nodded her head. “Ok unnie. I’ll see you guys when I come back.”

“So, Mrs. Park, ready to go?” Simon asked when the car arrived. He extended his hand for her to take, and smiled at her.

“Of course Mr. Park. Where are you taking me?” Mona asked as they sped off towards the direction of the airport.

“That... is a surprise. You’ll find out at the airport anyway. I do hope you packed a lot of bikinis.” Simon smirked at her, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and pulling her close.

“Oppa!” Mona flushed crimson, burying her face in his chest. “You really are... something aren’t you?”

Simon grabbed her chin and tilted her face towards his before placing a sweet kiss on her lips. “Whatever I am, I still love you...”

“And I love you...” Mona replied, gazing lovingly at him. “So, are we going to Hawaii?”

 

-FIN-



 

Chapter Posted on: Jul. 23. 2012

OMG!!!!! I finished the story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! This is such an accomplishment!!! HAHAHA... *sigh* I feel so happy right now! So I want to thank everyone who has subscribed to this story and everyone who has never failed to comment after every chapter as well as those who comment ocassionally! I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! THANK YOU! If not for you guys, I would not have been able to complete the story! I hope you guys enjoy this last chapter!!! As always, don't forget to comment ok? =D Thanks again!