“I’m going to... meet his parents tonight.”

Die of Embarrassment

 

“No.”

“Aww, c’mon baby. They really want to meet you.”

“But... I wouldn’t know what to say!”

“You don't have to say anything. Just leave all the talking to me. If they ask you questions, just nod or shake your head.”

Mona fidgeted in her seat in qualms. Why was he asking her to do this? “But oppa, why? How do they even know about me?”

Simon sighed, rubbing the back of his neck wearily. “My stupid sister told them. She was in my room when you texted me and she saw your message.”

Mona looked at him in shock. “Which one?” She asked, horrified. She had sent a lot of messages to him, mostly embarrassing ones, and if his sister had read them, she could just die from shame.

Simon laughed at the expression on her face and shook his head. “It’s nothing embarrassing. You just said I love you and that you wished I was home with you.”

Mona let out a relieved sigh. Well, it wasn’t as embarrassing as some of her other ones, which she would rather not mention or remember. “Oppa... why? We haven’t even gone out for that long!” Mona moaned.

“We’ve been going out for a year now.” Simon pointed out. “And I’ve met your family, so it’s only fair that you meet mine as well...”

Mona smiled to herself. A year... She couldn't even believe that they have been going out for that long. It seemed as if it was just yesterday that she was embarrassing herself in front of him. How did they manage to still go strong? Every day she sees him, she would fall in love with him all over again. How was that even possible? Yes, they had their fair share of arguments, but what was a relationship without angry words? Some sweet words, a few kisses here and there were all it took for them to make-up and keep going. She loved him to pieces. What would she do without him?

“Oppa...” Mona moaned again. “What if they don't like me?”

Simon scoffed at the idea and cupped her face lovingly. “That’s ridiculous. Who wouldn’t love this beautiful girl in front of me? And once they see how in love I am with you, they will leave us alone. I promise...”

“But we’re not even getting married anytime soon. Is this really necessary?”

“Yes, it is.” Simon said in a firm tone, putting an end to their argument. “I’ll pick you up at 8 tonight. Just... be yourself. I promise, they’ll love you.”

A few hours later, Mona went downstairs for the umpteenth time, showing off her latest outfit to her father, who was busy reading the newspaper. She was nervous as hell. First impression was everything. If she came wearing jeans, his mother might think she’s lazy for not even putting an effort but she felt so silly wearing a dress. It was just too feminine for her. She tugged at her hair in desperation. What was she going to do?

“Appa, is this ok?” She asked again, twirling in front of her father nervously.

Her father took off his glasses and set the paper aside before looking at her intently. “That’s the tenth dress you showed me. And I don't remember you ever buying it.”

“I didn't buy it. I borrowed it from EunJi.” Mona said. “Appa, tell me. Do I look ok in this?”

“You look fine Mona. In fact, you looked fine in the last nine dresses.” Her father said. “What’s this about? Are you going somewhere with Simon?”

Mona sighed before plopping herself on the couch beside her father. “I’m going to... meet his parents tonight.” She said slowly.

Her father’s eyes brightened in excitement. “Really?”

“Yeah... Appa, I’m scared. What if they don't like me? What if I embarrass myself like I usually do?” Mona said worriedly.

“Aigoo, Mona yah... No one’s going to hate you. They’ll love you for sure.” Her father said reassuringly.

“That’s what Simon oppa said.”

“Then trust him. I thought you love him?” Her father said with a smile.

Mona blushed, before wrapping her arms around her father. “Appa...”

Her father laughed. “So when will you guys get married? Tell me so I can warn my partner not to disturb me that day.”

“Appa! It’s only been a year! And we haven’t even graduated yet!” Mona exclaimed, the blush on her cheeks reddening even more. “Ok, I’m going back upstairs to get ready. Just... if Simon oppa comes, talk to him for a while.”

She ran upstairs before her father could ask her anything else and ran her fingers through her hair, giggling to herself. Marriage... He had promised her that he would marry her when the time is right. She wondered if he still remembers that promise... She was done in record time. The doorbell still hadn’t rung, so she paced about her room nervously. She had never been to his house before. Yes, they had been going out for a year, but it was always back to her place most nights. It didn't matter to her how his house looked, what mattered was that whether his parents will like her. She hoped to goodness that her father and Simon were right. She had to make them like her, no matter what.

A shout from the stairs startled her out of her reverie and she quickly grabbed her purse. Staring at her reflection one last time and chanting words of encouragement to herself, she made her way slowly down the stairs. She felt his presence before she even saw him. That, and she could recognize his smell anywhere. Once she stood in front of him, she smiled shyly, her father watching her in fascination.

When she flashed him that smile, he wanted to just grab her shoulders and kiss her senseless. He almost reached out for her when he sensed someone bumping shoulders with him. He refrained himself just in time and smiled back at her. The things he wanted to do to her would not be appropriate in front of her father. He needed the old man to continue liking him, until he marries her...

“Aigoo, you two look so cute together! Do you think I can get a photo of you two?” Her father gushed.

“Appa!” Mona said, feeling embarrassed. “Don't... say stuff like that please.”

Simon chuckled as he grabbed her hand. “Don’t worry sir. You’ll get plenty of photos at our wedding.”

“Wedding?” Her father said, surprised.

“Please... give us your blessing. I’ll marry her once we graduate and have jobs. I promise.” Simon said in determination.

Mona could see her father tearing up and she held onto his hand, squeezing it lightly. She had never seen him cry before, not even when her mother passed away. “Appa...”

“Ahh, miahn!” Her father said, wiping away the lone tear that rolled down his cheek. He smiled at Simon almost adoringly. “Of course you have my blessing. Now go to your parents and get theirs.”

The drive to his house was as silent as the serene night outside. Mona was too nervous to say anything and she chewed on her bottom lips repeatedly, wondering over and over again about his parents. Will they like her? She just couldn't get that question out of her head.

“Hey...” Simon said when the car finally came to a stop in front of his house. When he received no reply, he turned her face towards his, and smiled. “You ok?”

“Oppa, I’m scared...” Mona said quietly.

“I’m right here. I’ll be with you the whole time. Please baby. It won’t take long...” Simon said softly. “You don't have to be scared of them, they’re not going to eat you...”

“Oppa,” Mona said, suddenly remembering something. “Your mother’s Japanese! I don't know any Japanese! I won’t be able to say anything to her!”

“Don’t worry. She speaks Korean.” Simon replied reassuringly. “Just speak to her in Korean.”

“A-are you sure?” She said worriedly. “She might not understand...”

“Yah... you’re over-reacting.” Simon cut in. “C’mon, let’s just go inside.”

He made his way over to the passenger side and practically dragged her out of the car. Even then, she refused to walk across the front yard to his front door and he grabbed her shoulders and pushed her forward. She was being absolutely silly. His parents were people, not animals. They weren’t planning on eating her whatsoever.

He noticed the worry on her face and captured her lips in a swift kiss, hoping to distract her. It worked when she eventually turned her dreamy eyes to him. “What was that for?”

Simon smiled. “I love you...” He simply replied.

“I love you too...” She said softly.

The door suddenly flew open and an elderly couple greeted them with a smile. “Junho!” The woman exclaimed. “Finally, we’ve been waiting for ages!”

“Okaasan!” Simon beamed. “Sorry we took so long, we uhh... had a problem on the way.”

“Oh? I hope everything’s ok.” His mother said.

“Don’t worry, everything’s fine.” Simon replied before stepping to the side, revealing Mona who had been hiding behind his tall figure. “Appa, okaasan, this is Mona. Mona, these are my parents.” Simon introduced.

Mona bowed a ninety degree bow before flashing them a timid smile. “Anyeonghasaeyo.” She said nervously.

“Aigoo, so cute! C’mon in Mona!” His mother ushered her inside.

His house was just as she expected, large and lavishly furnished. But she was too nervous to properly take a look around and instead, kept her eyes on his parents, wishing that time would go by fast enough so she could go home and bury herself in her blanket.

“Shall we go straight to dinner? It’s already served.” His mother said.

Mona’s eyes lit up when she noticed what they would be having for dinner. “Ooh, steak!” She blurted out before she could stop herself.

As they took their seats, his parents laughed at her outburst while Simon smirked. Mona blushed, slapping herself mentally. Now they would think she’s a pig who eats a lot. She cursed Intae silently. His passion for food was rubbing off on her, and it was doing her no good.

“Yes, we’re having steak for dinner. I hope you like it.” His father said to her for the first time that night.

Mona nodded her head eagerly. “I love steak!”

Ten minutes into dinner and she was already chatting happily with his parents about her life, her father, and the university. They were very nice, especially his mother. She reminded Mona so much of her own and she adored her. She could see now where Simon got his good looks from...

“She’s lovely. Definitely a keeper.” His mother said to him in Japanese.

Simon smiled. “Isn’t she? I’m very much in love with her, if you must know...”

His mother laughed. “I can see that...”

“What were you guys talking about?” Mona whispered when they moved to the living room a while later.

“Oh nothing much.” Simon replied with a shrug.

“Oppa, you sound so... y when you speak in Japanese, you know that? I just want to...”

“What? Kiss me until I can’t breathe?” Simon smirked at her seductively.

“Stop it. Don't tempt me.” Mona said before she focused her attention back to his parents.

“I’m going to go prepare the fruits. Junho, come help me.” His mother said.

Simon was reluctant to leave her but Mona nodded her head at him, indicating that she would be fine.

“I’ll be right back.” He mouthed to her before following after his mother.

Mona cleared as she looked around. His father was not much of a talker, so she took her time in scanning the house. It was a beautiful house, that was for sure. She could see dozens of photos of him and his siblings and smiled when one caught her eye. It was of him, at the age of around six, crying as he held out his hand for the large teddy bear that was on display behind the window. She just had to ask him about it later, even though the picture was self-explanatory...

“So Mona sshi...” His father suddenly said.

“Err, yes sir?” Mona said.

“If I ask you to do something, will you do it?”

“Do what sir?” She asked uncertainly.

“Please... don’t get me wrong. We like you, we really do. And it will only be until you two graduate.”

“Ok...” Mona said slowly. She had a feeling she wouldn’t like where the conversation was going.

His father straightened his back, and gazed piercingly at her. “Please, break up with Junho.”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Posted on: Jun. 30. 2012

Another chapter is up! ^^ Dun dun dun! I think i just dropped a bomb here! Hahaha... anyways, don't forget to tell me what you guys think as usual! Please enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^^