“Are you... by any chance, jealous of Simon?”

Die of Embarrassment

 

Dari downed another drink for the umpteenth time that night. He wasn’t sure how much he had been drinking or where he was exactly. All he knew was that he had to get rid of these feelings. He had been uncomfortable for almost 2 weeks now, and he didn't like it at all.

He played with the glass in his hand, swirling the contents inside. He let his mind wander just a little bit, when it finally decided on Mona. Mona... she was the reason he had been feeling uncomfortable. He couldn't quite explain what it was exactly. His heart felt heavy and he just couldn't, for the life of him, figure out why he can’t get Mona out of his head. He cared for her, that was for sure, but why wouldn’t these feelings go away?

He signalled for the bartender to pour him another drink, a soft sigh escaping his lips. He was going crazy. He just knew it. He needed a woman’s touch and fast. His eyes travelled around the dimly lit bar before he returned to staring at his glass. There was no woman in sight... He had to do something to get his mind off of that girl, but he couldn't think of anything that didn't involve her. Since when did he become like this?

“Yo, Dari. How’ve you been man? Sorry I’m late. I was sleeping before someone rudely interrupted me.”

Dari turned towards where the voice was coming from, frowning at its intense volume. Why was the person yelling? He squinted his eyes to get a better look before the person finally came to shape. “Hyung...” He slurred. “What are you doing here?”

Intae looked at the glass in his hand and took it away from him. “Ok, you obviously have had too much to drink. Are you ok?”

“What are you talking about hyung? I feel great!” Dari said dismissively. His hand tried to reach for the glass but Intae pushed it further from him.

“No, you’re not. You don't even remember you drunk-dialled me!” Intae exclaimed. “What’s the matter dude? Is this about Mona?”

“What?” Dari slurred again. His head was starting to throb, knowing that a massive hangover was in store for him tomorrow morning.

“She told me what happened that night.” Intae said. “It’s been almost two weeks already, you need to go and apologize to her.”

“Why me?” Dari countered. “I didn't do anything wrong!”

Intae sighed. “Why can’t you just be happy for her? Why don't you like Simon anyway? He’s a great guy. He makes Mona really happy!”

“You don't know that! And no one can make her happy the way I do. And that’s a fact.” Dari pointed out.

Intae raised his eyebrow at him. “Are you... by any chance, jealous of Simon?”

Dari scoffed loudly. “Why in the world would I be jealous of... him?”

“I don't know.” Intae shrugged. “Maybe you’re jealous because now, you realize that you’ll have to share Mona with him. Maybe you’re jealous because Mona can’t spend a lot of time with you anymore. Maybe you’re jealous because... you like Mona.”

Dari choked on the peanut he just popped in his mouth. He knew enough to know that peanuts at the counter should not be touched at all costs, but he was too tipsy to care. “Hyung! That’s just crazy! She’s like a sister to me! Of course I like her!”

“You know that’s not what I mean.” Intae replied. “Think about it. Has your heart ever skipped a beat when you see her? Do you feel nervous every time you go out with her? Do you enjoy being in her company? You’ve spent a lot of time with her alone. Surely, you’ve felt at least one of these things.”

Dari recalled that night at the restaurant. Yes, he had felt one of the things Intae just mentioned. But it was only that one night and it was the first time it ever happened. It didn't mean anything! At least he hoped so. When he saw her, he was aware that she was a woman now and no longer the little girl he used to protect at the playground. She was not six anymore and the realization shook him. He viewed her in a different light, and he was not sure whether he was ok with it.

Intae watched him carefully, studying the emotions that were clearly portrayed on his face. The situation just got worse. He never, for a second, thought that Dari would have... feelings for Mona. But it was understandable of course. They had been spending a lot of time together. No one go through spending years together without having feelings for one another. That was just not possible.

“I’m right, aren’t I?” Intae said finally.

“No, you’re not.” Dari shook his head. “You’re wrong. You’re absolutely wrong. Mona is just a sister to me, nothing else. Hyung, stop putting ideas in my head!”

“Hey...” Intae said defensively. “I’m just saying what I feel. You don't have to get offended.”

“Hyung, who’s this Simon guy anyway? Why does she like him so much?” Dari asked quietly. His head was clouding up and he would most probably forget most of his conversation tonight, but he just had to know. Why was Mona so smitten by him?

“He makes her happy. You should’ve seen her when we introduced him to her. She was so shy it was embarrassing to watch.” Intae said with a smile.

“She reacts like that with all her crushes.”

“True. But they didn't really flirt with her the way Simon did. I knew he liked her from the moment I saw him staring at her. I just never told her.” Intae continued.

“... flirt?”

“Uhh yeah. It’s something you do when you’re interested in someone.” Intae said obviously.

“He’s going to make her cry hyung.” Dari croaked out. He was a terrible drunk, the type that would cry miserably, thinking that life wasn’t worth living. He swallowed the lump in his throat, and blinked rapidly to prevent the tears from falling. He couldn't let his hyung see his tears. That was just... embarrassing. Intae will never let it go...

“He won’t. He really likes her. And besides, so what if he makes her cry? That’s what relationships do to people anyway...” Intae pointed out.

“Hyung...”

“Tell me something.” Intae interrupted. “You don't really hate Simon do you? You only hate the fact that he has Mona’s heart...”

“That’s not how it is hyung.” Dari insisted. “I just... want to protect her. I don’t want her to get her heart broken.”

“You can’t protect her forever Dari.” Intae sighed. “She’s not getting any younger. God, you’re worse than her father!”

“I’m never going to like this Simon guy.”

“You don't have to. Mona’s going to date him whether you like it or not. And you... just have to deal with it. C’mon Dari, it’s her first relationship. Can’t you just be supportive of her? She really wants you to be happy for her.”

“I... cant.”

“She’s not yours to keep Dari. Look man, I don't understand why you’re so overprotective of her! Unless you like her, there’s really no reason for you to stand in their way.” Intae exclaimed.

Dari gulped. He still hadn’t put a name to these emotions that he felt when he saw Mona. Was it like? Did he really, truly like Mona?

“Hyung, I can’t think anymore.”

“C’mon, I’ll send you home.” Intae said, holding on to his arm.

They were lying down on the sofa bed, their feet tangled up under the sheets. Mona had her head on his chest while he ran his fingers through her hair, both staring at the TV blankly. They were simply just basking in each other’s presence, enjoying the comfortable silence that came with it. The nights that he spent at her house were some of the best nights she ever experienced in her entire 22 years of life. They would do very ordinary things, watch a movie, eat dinner or study. But what made them so special was being in each other’s company. She loved being with him and she wouldn’t trade these nights for anything else.

“Baby...”

Mona immediately sat up and turned a pair of surprised eyes towards him. “What was that?”

“What was what?” Simon asked back.

“You called me baby...” Mona said, a wide smile already on her face

“Oh. Would you prefer it if I call you monkey instead?” Simon teased.

“Monkey?”

“Mmm... no? How about bear?”

“Oppa!” Mona said, swatting his arm.

Simon laughed before pulling her back down beside him. “Miahn... baby.”

Mona let out a satisfied sigh and buried her face in his chest. “It sounds so... y. Oppa, I approve of that nickname.”

“Glad you like it.” Simon chuckled. “I just wanted to ask... what exactly are you allergic to?”

“I’m not allergic to anything.” Mona replied. “Why do you ask?”

“No reason.” Simon quickly replied.

Mona frowned. She thought it was a very random question until the event at the restaurant popped up in her mind. “Oppa, is this about what Dari oppa said at the restaurant?”

“I’m going to prove to him that I do know you.”

“Oppa...” Mona breathed softly. “You don't have to...”

“No, Mona. I do. I don't want him to think that I don't cherish you. I don't want him to think that what we have won’t last long. I’m going to show him that I really do like you.” Simon said in a determined voice.

Mona smiled to herself. Yes, this man was a keeper alright. She wasn’t happy when she walked out on Dari the other night, but she realised that if she didn't, she might just lose this guy that was beside her forever. And she couldn't afford to do that...

She raised her head from his chest and supported herself on one arm while she gazed tenderly at him. She was definitely lucky. He was a wonderful guy, not to mention, he was extremely hot. And on top of that, he likes her. What more could she ask for? She leaned in closer to him and planted an affectionate kiss on his lips. She kissed him slowly, taking her time as she enjoyed his lips on hers. Before long, he had his arms wrapped tightly around her and pressed her tighter against him. He was doing wonders to and her eyes rolled back in sheer pleasure. He detached his lips from hers and placed soft feathery kisses along her jaw-line and down to her neck, enveloping her in pure ecstasy. Her head was spinning, and she was in serious need for oxygen, but his lips on her skin felt so good, she didn't want him to stop.

“I’m sorry...” He said quietly when he finally let go many minutes later.

“For what?” Mona asked breathlessly. She could still feel his kisses on her and her toes tingled.

“I got carried away... miahn.” Simon replied with a sheepish smile. “When I’m with you, I just can’t stop myself.”

“It’s fine.” Mona blushed. “It’s not like I wanted you to stop anyway.”

Simon smirked at her, running his thumb over her lips. “You didn't? Well, shall we continue then?”

Before she could reply, there was a loud and urgent knock on the door, breaking the blissful haven they created for themselves. Simon groaned in frustration and dropped his head on her shoulder.

“Don't answer that.” He mumbled.

Mona bit her lip. She was thinking the same exact thing but the knock came again, more persistent this time. She sighed before she got out of bed, and made her way towards the door.

When she threw it open, the person on the other side stumbled in and fell onto the floor in front of her.

“Mona...”

Mona knelt beside him, and helped him sit up. “Dari oppa? What are you doing here?”



 

Chapter Posted on: Jun. 23. 2012

Yay!!! Another chapter is up!! ^^ Omg, i'm seriously head over heels for simon now. Gahhhh!!!! Hahahaha... anyways, i hope you guys enjoy this chapter!!! Please read and comment ok? I need to go sleep now. lol...