“Oppa, I... want to break up with you.”

Die of Embarrassment

 

*Flashback*

“B-break up?” Mona asked shocked.

His father nodded his head. “Yes. Break up with him. At least until you kids graduate.”

“That’s not in another two years! I... can’t break up with him! I love him!”

“I’m aware of that. And I can see how much he loves you too. But his grades are dropping and he’s not getting any younger. I can’t afford him to fail anything.” His father said.

Mona sat in silence, her body suddenly shaking wildly. He was failing? Why didn't he say anything to her? Was it because of her that his grades were bad? Was it because he had been spending too much time with her? Could she really bring herself to break up with him?

“Please Mona, I beg of you.” His father pleaded. “Once you both graduate, you can get back together. You can even get married. Right now, I just don't want him to get distracted. He needs to focus on his studies.”

Mona swallowed the lump that had formed in . She took a deep breath, fighting against the tears that were threatening to fall. Simon meant the world to her but if he was failing because of her then she must not be good for him. But why didn't he tell her?

Not wanting to go against his father’s wish, Mona slowly nodded her head with a sinking heart. “O-ok sir. I-I’ll do it.”

A moment later, Simon returned with his mother and sat himself down beside Mona, grabbing her hand. “What were you guys talking about?” He asked with a smile.

Mona threw a glance at his father before looking away. She tried to smile back at him, but realised that it came out more as a grimace than a smile. “Nothing.” She finally said.

*End of flashback*

Tears that didn't fall that night fell uncontrollably the next day, and the days that followed. It had been a week since the meeting with his parents. And it had been a week since she last talked to him. She tried her hardest to avoid him whenever she can, but it was starting to become impossible considering he knew where she lives. He would come by every night and knock on her door, but she would sit quietly on the other side, listening to his plea as he asked her to open the door and talk to him. Her tears would fall after he grew quiet, a sign that he had left her house. She didn't want to break up with him. She didn't know how. But she knew it was for his own good, and she had to do it, even if it meant she had to hurt him...

“Hey, you ok?” Someone touched her arm lightly, snapping her out of her reverie.

She wiped the tears that had fallen quickly before looking up to meet Jeesu’s concerned face. “I’m fine...”

Jeesu frowned as he sat himself next to her. “You’ve been crying. And why have you been hiding yourself here for the past week? Did something happen with Simon hyung?”

“Jeesu...”

“He told us you’ve been avoiding him. Care to explain why?” He continued.

Mona sighed, knowing that he wouldn’t leave unless she told him what was really going on. “Jeesu, I... have to break up with him.” Mona said quietly.

“Break up with him?” Jeesu asked shocked. “But you love him!”

“He’s failing classes because of me Jeesu.” Mona said as a new set of tears rolled down her cheeks.

“He is?”

“The worst part is that he never told me. I had to hear it from his dad.” Mona sobbed softly. “Why didn't he tell me?”

“Maybe he didn't want you to worry.” Jeesu said. “Maybe he didn't want to tell you because of this. Maybe he’s scared you might break up with him.”

Mona dropped her head in her palms in despair. “What am I going to do Jeesu?”

Jeesu squeezed her shoulder gently, a worried smile on his face. “I don't know Mona. Do what you think is best. But you can’t avoid him any longer. He looks desperate enough to kill someone just so you’d talk to him.”

“I’m going to hurt him. I just knew it... He’ll never forgive me.”

“Why don't you just tell him the truth?”

Mona looked at him, horrified. “No. I can’t let him know that his father was the one who told me. I don't want him to cause any trouble to his parents. They’re really nice.”

Jeesu raised his eyebrow. “His father was the one who asked you to break up with him isn’t it? And you still call them nice?”

“He’s just worried about Simon. It’s understandable of course. And besides, it’s only until we graduate.” Mona pointed out.

“Ok... but can you handle seeing him every day and not being able to hold him?” Jeesu asked.

“Of course I can’t! But I have no choice Jeesu.” Mona wept quietly. “I have to do it...”

Jeesu sighed before shaking his head. “Just break it to him gently... He won’t be the only one hurting. You will too...”

She was napping on the couch a few hours later when a loud banging on the door woke her up. Standing up, she made her way slowly towards the door. She knew who it was without even opening it. Her phone had been ringing nonstop since she returned home that she decided in the end to just switch it off altogether. And now he was on her front porch, begging for entrance.

“Mona, baby please! Just open the door!” He cried from the other end.

Her eyes hurt from all the crying she did before she fell asleep but the tears knew no limit. Almost instantly, the tears fell and she leaned her tired body against the wall, listening to his plea. She wanted to see him. Her heart ached for him. It had been so long since she last held him, since she last kissed him. She missed the feel of his arms around her waist, his lips on hers. She just missed him. But she didn't know how else to keep him away...

“Oppa...” She croaked out finally. “Please, just go away.”

“Baby, why are you avoiding me? Open the door please! Talk to me... What’s wrong?”

“I... can’t! Just go. Just leave me alone.”

“I’m not leaving tonight until you opened this door. I’ll sleep out here if I have to.” Simon replied in a determined voice.

Mona’s lower lips trembled. It was very cold tonight. If he was to sleep outside, he might just freeze to death. She can’t have that. Ever so slowly, she turned the doorknob and opened the door just wide enough for her head to squeeze through. He had his fist up ready to knock again when he met her gaze. He withdrew his hand and pushed the door open fully, Mona stumbling backwards.

When he was finally inside, he grabbed her shoulders and pulled her in for a tight hug. “I’ve missed you baby. I’ve missed you so much...” He whispered lovingly. 

Mona pushed him away before she could completely melt in his embrace. Making sure her eyes were completely dry, she looked at him, trying to muster as much dislike as she could. “Oppa, I didn't say you could come in.”

Simon’s brow furrowed in confusion. “Baby... what’s wrong? Why are you being like this with me? Did I do something wrong? Please tell me...”

He tried to reach for her again but she took a step back, shaking her head. “Oppa, just go.”

“Not unless you tell me what’s wrong.” Simon said firmly.

Mona looked away and took a deep breath. “Oppa, I... want to break up with you.” Her voice slightly shook, but she hoped he wouldn’t notice it.

“Break up with me? Why?” Simon asked, shocked.

“I just... I can’t be with you anymore.” Mona said quietly. She didn't know what excuse to tell him. What could she say for him to leave her? She couldn't bring his father into this. She couldn't tell him she knew of his bad grades because then he would know that his father had told her. But what was she to tell him?

“But why? You love me!”

“Oppa, we... fight a lot! You... always buy me chocolate ice cream even though I hate it! You always thrash wildly when you sleep with me. I get bruises every time I wake up next to you. And you don't remember anything about me. Not like Dari oppa.” She exclaimed in exasperation. It wasn’t her intention to bring Dari oppa into the conversation. But how else was she going to get him to back off?

Simon couldn't believe what he was hearing. She wanted to break up with him because he couldn't remember her favourite ice cream? That was ridiculous! There was something she was hiding from him, he just knew it. “You told me you’ll never compare me with him...”

“Well, I can’t help it! You know nothing about me! And I’m so tired of reminding you about everything over and over again!” Mona yelled. “You’ll never know me the way Dari oppa knows me...”

“You... don’t mean that.” Simon said, clutching her shoulder desperately. “Baby... If I’ve done anything wrong, I’m sorry. But please, don’t break up with me...”

Mona pried his fingers from her shoulder. “Please don't ask me to repeat again. I want to break up with you, and that’s final.”

Simon wanted to protest, but the look on her face caught him by surprise. She had never looked at him with such intense dislike before. What was going on? Why did she suddenly want to break up with him? He will get to the bottom of it, he had to. Something fishy was going on. Deciding to let it go for the night, he heaved a dejected sigh before slowly making his way out of her house.

When he walked past her, he grabbed her and pulled her in for a quick kiss. “I know something is going on. I promise you I’ll get to the bottom of it, even if you’re not willing to tell me.” He said before leaving.

When her knees could no longer hold her, Mona collapsed in a heap on the floor and curled herself in a foetal position, tears streaming down her face. What was she going to do now? She was already missing him. He knew something was going on, was she that obvious?

She didn't know how long she stayed on the floor. Next thing she knew, Dari was hovering above her, looking at her with concern.

“Yah! What’s wrong? What happened?” He asked, helping her to a sitting position. “Mona, are you ok?”

“Oppa...” She said in a weak voice.

“Mona, what happened? Are you hurt?” Dari asked worriedly. “Talk to me! Simon did this didn't he? I told you he’s a jerk! I never liked him! Where is he? Tell me where he is right now! I’ll go beat him up for you!”

“Oppa, don't.” Mona said, holding onto his hand. “It’s not Simon oppa’s fault.”

“Then? Why are you like this?” Dari asked as he helped her onto the couch.

“Oppa, I... broke up with him.” Mona said quietly.

“What? Why?”

“It just... didn't work.” Mona replied before she looked at him, her tears drying on her face. “Please, just stay here with me...”

“Of course baby...” Dari said, wrapping an arm around her shoulders soothingly. “I’m always here for you...” He added. He didn't know what happened. But he was so angry he could punch the wall with his bare hands. He knew Simon had something to do with her current condition, and once she fell asleep, he will go find him and beat the hell out of him. No one was allowed to make Mona cry and live to tell the tale...

“Oppa...” Mona said once she had calmed down. She smiled at Dari. “Thank you for always being here with me. You always appear at the right time...”

“That’s what I do best...” Dari said, returning her smile.

“Oppa...” Mona said, placing her head on his shoulder. “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me...”

“Oh? Then what about me?”

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Posted on: Jun. 30. 2012

Another chapter is up! Yay! So now you guys know why they have to break up. *sob sob* Hehe... Anyways, hope you guys like this chapter! Thanks soooo much for those who keep commenting! I love you guys! ^^ Please read and enjoy ok? Don't forget to comment too! =D