“Junho yah, would you like to be Mona’s boyfriend?”

Die of Embarrassment

 

 

The silence that ensued was deafening. It was as if time itself had stopped. The awkwardness thickened the longer they all stared at each other and Mona sat lifeless, as she looked at the man standing by the doorway, her mind reeling on its own. The man had his hands on his waist, staring at them with a stern expression.

Simon quickly stood up and bowed a 90 degree bow. When he raised his head, Mona saw that his cheeks were red and she unintentionally let out a small laugh. He looked like a deer caught in a headlight. It was cute, since it was the first time she ever saw him with such an expression. Simon frowned at her and she quickly smothered her laugh with her hand and stood up, smiling at the man who was still by the door.

“Appa!”

The man strolled towards them slowly, still looking at them sternly. Mona saw Simon fidgeting beside her, and she grabbed his hand secretly. It was on impulse, and she felt him relaxed instantly. She smiled to herself. This is going to be epic!

“Mona, who’s this?” Her father asked, giving Simon a once over like he was about to eat him.

“My name’s Simon sir.” Simon replied, sounding slightly nervous.

“Did I ask you, boy? I asked Mona.” Her father barked.

“Appa, stop it! You’re scaring him. He just transferred to the university. Same course as me.” Mona said, nodding her head.

Her father peered at Simon curiously. “Are you sure? Aren’t you a bit too old boy?”

“Appa, he’s only a couple of years older than me. And stop interrogating him.” Mona huffed. “He came because we had a... project to do.”

“Really? Is that what you youngsters call kissing nowadays? Project?”

“Appa! We... weren’t doing that.” Mona stuttered. “He was just... teaching me CPR.”

Her father raised his eyebrow at her. “I have never in my entire life see anyone give CPR sitting up before.”

“Uhh... appa...” Ok, how was she to answer that?

“Do you have another name boy? I hardly consider Simon as a proper name.” Her father said sharply, turning to look at Simon.

“Oh yes, of course. My name’s Park Junho.” Simon replied quickly. “But no one calls me that except my parents.”

Her father furrowed his brow and he took a step closer towards him. “Park JunHo? Are you... by any chance Chief Superintendent Park’s son?”

“I am.” Simon nodded his head.

Immediately, her father’s pose relaxed and his face broke into a smile. He grabbed Simon’s hand and shook it vigorously before patting his shoulder in a friendly manner. “Why didn’t you say so? Ok, why don’t you stay over for dinner? I’ll make us all something nice.” He said before making his way towards the kitchen, laughing like he was cooking for an old friend.

“...Ook... What was that about?” Simon asked, confused after her father was gone.

“Your father’s a cop?” Mona asked in disbelief.

“Seems like yours is too...” Simon replied.

“Inspector.”

“Ahh... I see.” Simon said before taking a step towards her, a hint of a smile on his face. “So... where were we earlier?”

Mona stopped him from coming closer. “Park Junho sshi, my dad’s in the kitchen.”

“Aww, c’mon. It’s not like he’s going to hear anything...” Simon said cheekily.

“Oppa!” Mona blushed at his words. Well, he had some nerve... Her mind flew to that moment just a few minutes ago. How did it even happen? She was totally caught off-guard. One moment she was wondering if she should flee the scene and the next, he had his lips on hers. She her lips. It was so fast she couldn't really register how it felt. It was tender, that was for sure, but that was all she could conclude from the very short kiss...

“Guys! Dinner’s ready!” Her father yelled from the kitchen.

Mona ran to the kitchen, not bothering to see if Simon was following her. She felt super shy with him now... There was absolutely no way she was going to continue practicing CPR with him...

“Appa, that was fast.” Mona said as she took a seat next to her father, Simon sitting opposite her.

“Ani... I just reheated what we had yesterday, I hope you don’t mind Junho.” Her father said, smiling at him.

Simon quickly shook his head. “Not at all sir! It looks good.”

“Of course it does! I made it. This girl here, you can’t depend on her at all. She can’t even cook rice.”

“Appa! I can cook rice!” Mona exclaimed loudly, embarrassed that her father was telling Simon all her bad qualities. She was well aware that that was what fathers usually do, and she hoped dinner could fly by soon.

Simon looked at her and chuckled. “Oh... I already know that.”

“Oppa!”

“Oh really? You know when she was small, she had this cowgirl outfit that she wouldn’t take off for two weeks! When she finally did take it off, I had no choice but to burn it. It smelt absolutely repulsive. And then she was so angry she peed on the lawn and her got stung by a bee.” Her father guffawed loudly.

That... I didn't know. At all...” Simon said, laughing along.

Mona stared at the stew pot, wishing it to be big enough so she could drown herself in it and save herself from this embarrassment. Nothing... not even what she had said to him when she just met him can compare to the mortification she was feeling at the moment. Why must parents be like this? Why must they humiliate their child? That is... abuse!

“Appa...” Mona whispered, sounding close to tears. “Why are you telling him all this?”

Her father frowned. “What? Why? What are you talking about? I can’t tell him?”

“No, you can’t! It’s embarrassing!” Mona exclaimed, clenching her fist underneath the table.

“Sweetheart, what is there to be embarrassed about? Isn’t he your boyfriend?”

Mona choked on the piece of vegetable that she had just popped in and she coughed, before turning moist eyes towards her father. “No, he’s not!

“Oh.” Her father simply said. “That’s a shame. He’s very good looking. You should have him as your boyfriend.”

Then he did the unthinkable. He did the one thing she thought he would never do. He turned his head to his right and smiled at Simon. “Junho yah, would you like to be Mona’s boyfriend?”

Mona’s jaw dropped open and she stared at her father, disbelief and incredulity written all over her face. She was mortified and she was horrified. How can her father voiced it out so straightforwardly or even suggested it? Maybe she was such a nuisance to him that he wanted her to die... Yes, that was the only explanation possible.

“Err... Sir, I...”

“Oppa please... don’t answer that.” Mona interrupted. She wasn’t just embarrassed, she was furious with her father. “Appa, you’re going back to work right? Please... just go already. I’ll clean up. Please... leave.”

“Mona, that’s not very nice.” Simon spoke up.

“Ani... that’s how she talks to me all the time. Fine, I’ll go. But honey, I’ll be working overtime tonight, you don’t mind being alone right?”

“Yes, yes. I don’t mind.” Mona replied hastily.

“Mona, why don’t we let Junho stay over tonight? You know, I feel so worried about you every time I don’t come home. If he’s here, then maybe tonight I can work peacefully.” Her father said with a big grin. “What do you say Junho?”

She watched as Simon’s face lit up, and he nodded his head. “I don’t mind... at all.”

“Great! Then that’s settled.” Her father beamed.

“Wait a minute! Don't I get a say in this?” Mona huffed loudly.

“No, you don’t. It’s not like I’m asking you to stay over. Ok kids, I have to go now.” He said before pecking Mona’s cheek. “Mona, don’t do anything I don’t like. I love you ...”

Mona just smiled as a response, she was still furious, and sent her father to the door, closing it after he had left. She leaned her forehead against the wooden door, aware that Simon was standing behind her. She didn't want to turn around. She couldn't turn around. How can she face him after being humiliated to such extent? She pressed herself against the door, wishing to blend in with it.

“So...” Simon trailed off from behind her.

She turned around ever so slowly, and plastered a smile on her face. She hoped it was a smile. She felt like she was wincing in pain, which she thought suited the situation even better...

“O-oppa...”

“Did you really get stung by a bee?” He asked, before laughter erupted from his mouth.

Mona sank to the ground and folded her legs against her chest, resting her chin on her knees. She wanted to burst into tears... The humiliation was unbearable...

“Aww, c’mon.” Simon said soothingly, taking the spot next to her. “It wasn’t that bad. I thought the story was cute.”

“You thought everything about me is cute!”  Mona blurted out. She shook her head, she was hopeless.

“I do in fact.” He said, after he stopped laughing.

“Are you really staying over tonight?” Mona asked as she peered at him.

“I gave your father my word.” Simon said. “You know what, I think he loves me.”

Mona frowned. “Of course he does. You’re the chief’s son. And you’re the only guy I’ve ever introduced to him besides...”

Simon raised his eyebrow at her. “Besides?”

“Uhh... erm. No one. Ook... I think we should go take a shower now.” Mona said before standing up.

“You’re not suggesting we take it... together are you?” Simon asked playfully.

“No! Oh my goodness, no! Oppa, you go take a shower first. I’ll go clean up.” Mona said horrified before pushing him towards the stairs.

“You were going to say Dari weren’t you?” Simon asked as he turned to look at her.

Mona sighed. “You don’t have to worry about Dari oppa. My father doesn’t like him.”

Simon grinned. “Well, I feel better already.”

“Good.”

“Do you have anything I can change into after I shower? I can walk around shirtless but I don’t think...”

“No, no... Please don’t. I’ll get you something to wear.” Mona cut in. She couldn't bear the thought of him shirtless. She pitied her heart and her eyes. She would stare all night, her heart would beat erratically and he would notice, and then they would be awkward. It was a vicious cycle and she would rather not go through it.

“It’s not Dari’s is it?” Simon asked suspiciously.

“Oppa, Dari oppa never had the liberty of sleeping over. So I don’t have any of his clothes. I’ll go find some of my father’s old ones.”

“Hey...” Simon said, pulling her to a stop. He grabbed her shoulders and stooped lower so he could be on the same eye level as her. “What are we going to do tonight?”

“Huh?”

“I mean, should we do CPR again?” Simon asked. Then he leaned in and whispered huskily. “Or, we can do what we did after that...”

“O-oppa...” She was trembling from head to toes. She felt as if his eyes were piercing right through her very soul, and her body slightly shook. She her lips and cleared . “I-I don’t know...”

Simon tilted his head and pressed his forehead against hers, before he spoke. “Hmm... You’re tempting me.”

“Uhh, I...”

“Mona, please don’t do this to me.” He said softly. He caressed her face before he finally made his way upstairs.

 

 

Mona clutched her shirt and leaned against the nearby wall, gasping for much needed oxygen. What did he mean by ‘don’t do this to me’? What was she doing to him? If she had to be completely honest, it was him that was doing... stuff to her. She touched her forehead before her fingertips made their way to her lips. She was smiling like an insane person. She had no doubt that she was very close to being insane. Maybe it was written in the stars. She was glad though, that he didn't say anything about what her father suggested. Boyfriend... She exhaled slowly. Wasn’t it too early?



 

Chapter Posted on: Jun. 15. 2012

Yay! Another chapter is up up up! =D The dad is cute... I think. Haha... So, I'm in a dilemma right now. Should I continue with the night or should I write about something else altogether? Hahaha... I honestly prefer to write what happens at night, but you guys tell me what you think! I will write tomorrow morning! =D Meanwhile, pls enjoy this chapter! Don't forget, as always, to comment and subscribe if you haven't! ^^