“He doesn’t know we’re dating does he?”

Die of Embarrassment

 

“Youngwonie...” Mona said in a sing-song voice as she approached him. He was sitting alone on the sidewalk, looking through his phone. It was the perfect time for her to attack him.

“Yes?” He said, putting his phone away and focusing his eyes on her.

Mona smiled playfully at him and wriggled her eyebrow. “So... How did the date go?”

“It wasn’t our first date, so it was fine.” Youngwon replied, enjoying the shock on her face. Before she could put in a reply, he continued. “So how was your date with Simon hyung?”

“Just perfect.” Mona said, a smile on her lips. She studied his face and narrowed her eyes at him after a while. “You told the other guys didn't you?” She said, her voice accusing.

“Nope. Yah, they’re going to become doctors in the future. I don’t think they’re that dumb.”

Mona furrowed her brow in confusion. “What do you mean?”

“Mona, they already know.” Youngwon sighed.

“What?” Mona shrieked. “How did they know? I was being so...careful...”

“Not really, no. Daniel saw you and hyung hugging in the hallway. Jeesu saw a message from hyung on your phone and Intae hyung just knows everything.” Youngwon pointed out.

“No...” Mona moaned in frustration. “Wasn’t I careful enough?” She asked again.

“Yah, you jumped almost a foot in the air every time Simon hyung tries to put his arm around you, and you practically run away if he ever so much as lean in to talk to you. You do that when you’re in front of us. That’s not being careful, if anything, it was just plain awkward.”

“And Simon hyung kept asking us if we know anything. We said no of course because technically, you didn't tell us anything.” Youngwon added.

“Youngwon ah, it’s not that I didn't want to tell you guys, because believe me when I say I do. It’s just...”

“You don't want to tell us yet.” Youngwon said knowingly.

“Right. I was going to... after we visit Dari oppa. I’m scared that you guys might let it slip to him that I’m dating Simon oppa...” Mona said quietly.

“We know. The twins told us. That’s why we’re not angry at you. We understand how annoyingly protective hyung can be.” Youngwon said with a chuckle.

Mona breathed a sigh of relief and looked at him gratefully. “Thank you. That means a lot to me. I promise I’ll make it official after this visit ok?”

“Guys!” JiEun called out, motioning for them to come over.

Mona and Youngwon made their way to the others who were gathered around Simon’s car, talking.

“I think we should go now. If we don't, we’ll never make it in time.” EunJi said.

“But Intae oppa isn’t here yet.” Mona said.

“He’s always late. Why don't some of us go with Simon hyung first? The rest will go with Intae hyung.” Daniel suggested.

“I’m going with Simon hyung! I call shotgun!” Jeesu yelled excitedly.

Before anyone else could react, a car screeched to a halt beside them and Intae’s head popped out the window, a sheepish smile on his face. “Sorry I’m late.” He said, sounding far from sorry. “I...”

“Overslept. Yes, we know.” Daniel replied with a roll of his eyes. “C’mon! We’re already late!”

Jeesu and Mona made their way to the passenger side of Simon’s car and had their hands on the door at the same time, before Jeesu looked at her, wide eyed. He snatched his hand away and took a step back. “You go ahead.” He said quickly.

“No, no. You go ahead.” Mona replied.

“But...”

“Yah, you’ve always wanted to ride in oppa’s car right? Go ahead. I’ll sit at the back with the twins.” Mona said before she slid in, sitting right behind Simon.

The car ride was eventful as Jeesu talked nonstop, firing Simon questions about the car. He was as excited as a child at a candy store. Mona sat quietly at the back, aware that Simon looked at her every now and then through the rear-view mirror. He was trying to catch her attention, but she refused to look at him and instead focused her gaze on the scenery outside the window. She felt... guilty. She didn't know why, but she just couldn't shake off that feeling. He wanted to show to the world his affection for her but she wouldn’t let him. Why? She was damn scared of Dari, that’s why...  

Once they arrived, she trailed behind the others, Simon falling in step beside her. He grabbed her hand and forced her to look at him. “Hey...” He said softly. “What’s the matter? Why are you so quiet today?”

“Ahh... oppa.” Mona smiled distractedly. “Aniyo... I’m fine.”

“Are you worried?”

“Worried? About what?”

Simon gazed into her eyes tenderly. “If you’re worried about my reaction towards you and Dari, don’t worry. I got it under control.”

Mona grinned. “Really? Are you sure you can control that green monster inside you?”

“Well, that green monster might just break a few tables, punch a few walls after this visit is over but I promise you, we’ll behave during the visit.”Simon said with a laugh. “Just please... don’t overdo it if you still want me to be alive after this.”

“Arasso... I promise.” Mona said before dragging him inside the building, where the others were gathering for a thorough checkup at the checkpoint.

“You guys are so late!” Dari appeared a while later, wearing a grin on his face as he made his way over to the group.

Mona stood up and ran into his embrace. “Oppa!”

“Hey! I’ve missed you so much!” Dari whispered lovingly.

“I’ve missed you too!” Mona said as she stepped out of his embrace. She eyed him up and down, appreciating the way he looked. “You look very good in a uniform.”

“So I’ve been told.” Dari said smugly, receiving a slap on the chest in the process. “Yah! It’s true!”

“Hyung!” Jeesu, Daniel and Youngwon called out simultaneously. “You look good!”

“See? I told you.” Dari smirked at Mona. He hugged each and every one of them before he saw a movement out of the corner of his eye. He looked up, and he narrowed his eye distastefully at the man standing not far behind them. “Why is he here?" He asked, his tone cold.

“Ahh... erm...” Mona stuttered, pleadingly looking at the others.

“You guys have met right? Dari yah, this is Simon. Simon, this is Dari.” Intae introduced, coming to her rescue.

“We’ve met.” Dari said coolly. He watched as the younger man nodded his head at him and he scoffed. Right, he definitely lacked respect. Not a good choice for Mona... What does she even see in this guy?

“Ahh... err hyung, he drove us here. That’s all. We couldn't all fit into Intae hyung’s car.” Youngwon said, trying to break the ice that was surrounding them.

“Ok, cut it out you two.” Intae said, putting an end to their glaring contest. Really, he had no idea why they were fighting for Mona. Yes, they both wanted her, but for different reasons! Why can’t they just... share?

“Oppa, aren’t you going to show us around?” Mona asked, grabbing Dari’s hand and pulling him away. “Wow, this place is cool.” She gushed as she looked around, hoping that Dari wouldn’t ask any more question about Simon.

Her fascination with the training camp certainly paid off as Dari went on to explain his daily activities to everyone, and how they train continuously. There were other families that came to visit, and the area seemed more like a supermarket than an army base. Regardless, they had fun, and Mona sent her thanks to the heaven, glad that Dari hasn’t opened his mouth about Simon for the last hour. In fact, it seemed as if he was completely ignoring Simon’s presence and that suited her just fine. It was better that he ignore... If not, he would fly into a rage...

“Guys, I got great news!” Dari said excitedly once they were seated in the cafeteria.

“What’s that oppa?” Mona asked, her arm wrapped around his. Simon watched with envy from where he was seated. He had kept quiet the whole time, watching the two interact with each other. Intae had tried to make him talk but he ignored the man and continued to watch the two. He could feel his jealousy and anger boiling every time they smiled, every time they touched, every time they so much as look at each other... And he didn't like the way the guy was looking at her. It was too possessive in his opinion. Only he was allowed to look at her that way... He was her boyfriend after all...

“I’m allowed to leave next week!” Dari announced happily.

“Really? Why?”

“Based on good behaviour.”

Intae slapped the back of his head soundly, and Simon had never felt happier. If it was up to him, he would’ve done it harder.

“Babo yah! What good behaviour are you talking about? You went fishing, you took photo of a bird, and another photo of your Vans shoes. Are you sure you’re training?” Intae huffed.

“Hyung! I took those during my spare time! Why would I take photo of a bird during training?” Dari asked incredulously before he turned his attention back to the others. “So, which one of you will get the honour of being my first dinner date once I leave the camp?”

“Oppa, you know that’s going to be me and you still have to ask?” Mona glared at him playfully.

Dari widened his eyes in surprise. “Really? Seafood restaurant? Butter lobster?”

“Sounds good to me.” Mona smiled.

Ok, this was getting way out of hand. That guy asked his girlfriend for a date right in front of him? Simon clenched his fist under the table, and gritted his teeth in annoyance. This was way out of line! How dare he asked his girlfriend for some alone time?

“Why you?” He suddenly spoke up. It was the only thing he had said all day, and all eyes turned to him. He was annoyed with everyone, especially Mona. Didn't he warn her to ease up on the interaction? Why was she torturing him this way?

“O-oppa...” Mona said weakly.

“Mona, tell me. Why does it have to be you?” Simon asked again, keeping his eyes trained on her.

“Why can’t it be her?” Dari spoke up. “What’s it to you anyway?”

Sensing the tension, Intae stepped in between the two. In the heat of the moment, they had walked towards each other and were now standing, facing each other, murderous looks on both their faces. Mona gulped. She was still seated on the bench, but she was right in between the two. She was scared... Scared that they might hurt each other.

“Guys, break it off.” Intae warned. Yes, he was the eldest among them all. But he hated having to act like one. Why can’t they be nice to each other without wanting to rip each other’s heads off? Mona was happy with both of them, why couldn't they see that?

Simon continued to glare for a little while longer before he grabbed Mona’s hand and pulled her to a corner where they wouldn’t be heard.

“Mona, I don't like this.” He said as soon as they were alone.

“Oppa...” Mona started nervously.

“No! He asked you out right in front of me! How dare he? Doesn’t he know that you’re my girlfriend now?”

“Uhh...”

Simon watched her face carefully before realization finally dawned on him. “He doesn’t know we’re dating does he?”

“...No.” Mona said, looking at her feet.

“Tell him.”

She looked up and stared at him, horrified. “What?”

“Tell him we’re dating. Tell him that I’m your boyfriend.” Simon urged.

Mona turned around and made her way slowly back to the others. She could see the nervous expression they all had on their faces and she cleared , catching Dari and Intae in a furious argument.

“Hyung, why the hell is he even here?” Dari asked angrily.

“Dari, cool it. I thought we told you that he was our ride.” Intae replied calmly.

“Oppa...” Mona said weakly when she reached them. She was trembling from head to toe. How was she to tell Dari without him blowing up? And why was she so afraid of Dari? He was her oppa, surely he would understand right? If only it was that easy... Maybe if he liked Simon, maybe if he was the one who chose Simon for her, he would’ve loved him to pieces, maybe even more than her. He was worse than her father but what could she do? His protective instinct was strong... She was family, that was what he told her once...

“Mona, is there something going on with you and this Simon dude?” Dari asked sharply.

Mona cleared , aware that Simon was now standing right behind her. She turned to Intae for help, but he shrugged seemingly at a loss on what to do... She wanted to run, that was what she does best, but her feet felt like lead. What was she to do now?

“Tell him Mona.” Simon pressed from behind.

Dari narrowed his eyes at her. “Tell me what?”

“Oook... Will you look at the time? Dari hyung, we should really get going.” Daniel said while the others scrambled to their feet hurriedly. The twins grabbed Mona’s hand and pulled her away while Intae dragged Simon. The rest stayed to say goodbye before they too, flee. Dari was frightening when he was angry...

“Unbelievable. You couldn't even tell him about us.” Simon scoffed in irritation, shaking his head when they were back at her house a while later.

“No, oppa... I...”

“What, Mona? What? You’re embarrassed of me?”

“No, oppa! Don't be ridiculous!”

“Then what is it? I seriously don’t understand!” Simon whispered furiously. “Do you think he has feelings for you? Is that why you don't want to tell him you’re taken? Because you don't want to hurt him?”

“Oppa, you’re not making any sense! I thought I told you that Dari oppa and I are just like siblings!” Mona cried out.

“If he really was your ‘brother’, shouldn’t he try to understand?”

“It’s not that easy...” Mona mumbled, staring at the carpet.

Simon fumed angrily. “You know what else I found out? You haven’t even told the guys that we’re dating have you? Unbelievable.”

He walked out the door, slamming it in the process and that was the last thing she heard from him that day... 



 

Chapter Posted on: Jun. 20. 2012

Up up up!!! =D Hope you guys enjoy this chapter!!! And a fight! Yes! Not all lovey dover anymore!!!! And Dari is freaking scary!!! Hahaha... Mona is super scared of him! Lol... Want to know what happened after this? Stay tuned for more chapters! Lol... Enjoy! Don't forget to read and comment! =D For those who haven't subscribed, please do! =D