“You wanted to call to tell me you went out with Dari?”

Die of Embarrassment

 

Mona paced about the room, her hands tugging her hair in frustration. What was she supposed to wear? Constantly, her eyes focused on the clock above her door, sure that the time was out to get her with how fast it was flying. It didn't help that she was so nervous about the date! The date... Her lips curled into a smile as she remembered how he had asked her out. Well, he was half , that was definitely an added bonus. Not to mention, he looked extremely and tremendously y up close. She wondered if she’d ever get used to his perfection. How can a person be so flawless?

She rummaged through her closet again, 90% of its contents strewed on the floor and on her bed. She shook her head, feeling a panic attack coming on. There was absolutely nothing for her to wear. She threw a drawer opened and her eyes immediately took in the white floral dress. She stared at her reflection in the mirror once she put it on and gagged. She looked weird. She couldn't wear that! Quickly, she took it off and slipped on a pair of black skinny jeans and a grey cardigan with a striped shirt underneath. She huffed. Well, she was comfortable at least... She nodded her head, deciding to stick with her latter choice.

There was not much time left. She knew he was punctual and that he would be there in approximately 10 minutes. Applying some light make-up, she ran her fingers through her hair. Satisfied with her look at last, she paced about the room again, wondering where he would take her for their ‘first date’. She giggled to herself. She felt giddy just thinking about it. She was going on a date... with Simon. If it was a one sided crush, there would be no progression on her part whatsoever. But it was he who asked for the date, which can only meant one thing, that he likes her too. Mona was determined to make the night a good one, and prayed to the heavens above that she wouldn’t trip and embarrass herself.

The doorbell suddenly rang. She flew down the stairs and threw the door opened, hoping to see Simon on the other side, but instead was greeted by someone else. Her eyes widened in surprise.

“Oppa!”

“Hey baby girl!”

Mona blinked... rapidly. Were her eyes tricking her? “Dari oppa?”

Dari laughed at the puzzled expression on her face and grabbed her shoulders. “It’s me! Babo yah! Why do you look so shocked?”

“Oppa, what are you doing here?” Mona asked, perplexed. What WAS he doing here? Does he know that she was going on a date with Simon? No, that wasn’t possible. No one knew beside herself. She never told anyone!

Dari placed his hand over his chest, feigning hurt. “Ouch! You don’t sound very pleased...”

“No... oppa.” Mona said, feeling flustered. Simon was going to show up any minute now and she did NOT want Dari to see him. God knows what havoc Dari will wreck. He had strongly expressed his dissatisfaction over Simon the previous week, and she was sure he wouldn’t be pleased if he knew that Simon and she were going on a date. “Please don’t take it the wrong way, but seriously... what are you doing here?”

“I came to see your dad.”

“My dad?” Mona asked in confusion.

“Babo yah! Why would I want to see him? The man doesn’t even like me. I came to see you of course!” Dari said with a wide smile.

“Oh... Wait a minute, did you sneak out again?” Mona asked suspiciously. Dari was well-known for his mischievous behaviours and it wouldn’t surprise her if he really snuck out again.

Dari shook his head quickly. “I swear I didn't. I’m really off-duty tonight. You can call the captain if you want!”

Mona laughed. “Ok, ok. I believe you... But oppa, I...”

“You got a minute?” Dari cut in. “Spend the night with me?”

Mona bit her lip, torn between Dari and Simon. Yes, she wanted Simon, but Dari was on another level altogether. She wanted to refuse, but she didn't have the heart to. After all, he did come all the way from military camp to see her... But what would she say to Simon?

“Ok...” She said with a small nod.

“You sure? You don’t have anything else planned right?” Dari asked.

“Uhh... yeah.” Mona lied before stepping out of the house and closing the door behind her. They climbed into the car before he sped off, Mona’s worries doubling in number the further they drove off.

“Hey... why are you so quiet?” Dari asked once they came to halt in front of a seafood restaurant. Mona snapped out of her reverie and flashed him a timid smile.

“Nothing. I’m fine.” She simply said.

“Well, look where we are.” Dari said pointing at the bright neon sign above the restaurant.

Mona’s face broke into a big smile upon seeing their favourite restaurant. “Oppa! I haven’t been here since we last came together!”

“Really?”

“Mmm... I promised myself I wouldn’t come here unless you’re with me.” Mona said, her eyes twinkling as she looked at Dari.

“Well then, aren’t you glad I came back at the right time? C’mon, let’s go in. I’m starving.” Dari said, pulling her inside with him.

Mona looked around once they entered. The place hasn’t changed one bit. It had been so long since she last came and she sniffed the air, the smell of butter lobster and shrimp curry satisfying her sense of smell. Her stomach grumbled loudly and she emitted a small laugh. She missed this place...

“Dari sshi!” A familiar face greeted.

“Ahjumma! You’re still here?” Dari asked with a laugh.

“Aigoo... where else would I be? How’s the military? Are you alone?”

“I’m here ahjumma.” Mona said from behind Dari. She wrapped her arms around the old lady, feeling like centuries ago since she last saw her.  

“I didn't expect to see you with Dari tonight Mona.” Ahjumma said, her tone puzzled.

“What do you mean?” Dari asked, just as confused.

“Well, I was at the counter earlier and I saw a reservation for 8.30 under Mona’s name.”

“My name?”

Ahjumma nodded her head. “Yeah. You and someone named Si...”

“Ahjumma! I’m starving! When can we eat?” Mona cut in, drowning the voice of ahjumma with the loudness of hers, praying that Dari didn't hear anything. Unfortunately for her, luck was not on her side tonight...

“What was that about? A reservation?” Dari asked once they were seated at their usual spot.

“Huh... yeah. That’s crazy right?” Mona said, trying to sound as nonchalant as she could. “Ahjumma must’ve mistaken me for someone else. I mean, why would I want to reserve when I can just come right?”

Dari furrowed his brow. Was she lying to him? “Mona...”

“Oppa, c’mon. I thought I told you I wouldn’t come here without you.” Mona said, trying her hardest to convince him. She hoped he didn't hear the uncertainty in her voice, and how it slightly shook.

Dari’s face finally relaxed into a smile and Mona breathed a sigh of relief, glad that she was able to convince him in the end. They lapsed into a comfortable silence, Mona wondering about Simon. She wanted to call him, but she had forgotten her phone at home. Mona’s eyes travelled around the restaurant. So this was where he was going to take her. Yes, she had promised Dari she wouldn’t come here if she wasn’t with him but... Simon was, or would be taking her here. And it was a date, she couldn't possibly say no.

“He must be so worried...” She mumbled under her breath.

“Who?” Dari questioned.

“Huh?” Mona said, looking up. “Oh erm... no one.”

They made their way to Starbucks a while later, talking about everything they could think of before Dari finally dropped her off at home at around 1 in the morning. She plopped immediately onto her bed from exhaustion, her hand reaching for her phone. She gasped and quickly stood up. She had 15 miscalls from Simon!

She pressed the redial button and waited impatiently for him to pick up the phone. She felt so guilty for ditching him but Dari was important to her... She hated the feeling of having to choose. She let out an incredulous laugh. She never had to choose before...

“Yes?” She heard him say from the other side.

She bit her lip worriedly. She had acted on impulse when she saw all the miscalls; now she wasn’t so sure how to talk to him. She had never called him before and his voice over the phone sounded ten times ier than it already was...

“Simon... oppa? It’s me... Mona.” She said nervously.

“Oh?”

“Oppa... I’m so sorry.” She quickly apologized.

She heard him exhaled loudly before he spoke again. “For what?”

“Oppa...”

“Did you have fun tonight?”

Mona stifled the gasp that threatened to escape. He knew? “I...”

“I saw you at the seafood restaurant, then at Starbucks. You were with Dari... having fun.” He simply stated.

She couldn't tell how angry he was by the tone of his voice, but she knew without a doubt he was furious. Judging by the questions he asked her previously about Dari, there was no question that he was extremely jealous of him.

“Oppa, I...”

“I’m tired. I’ll see you tomorrow.” And he hung up. Mona hung her head in misery. She was looking forward to this date so much and now she blew it. She couldn't blame Dari, it wasn’t his fault after all. But now... now, Simon will never again ask her out. Unless... yes, she nodded her head firmly after making up her mind. She would do that first thing tomorrow morning.

She was in the cafeteria at 9.00 am sharp, fidgeting in her seat, waiting for him to appear. He would always get a cup of coffee before class and today was no different. She waited patiently for him to buy the coffee before approaching him, her steps slow and nervous. She reached for his sleeve and pulled him to a stop.

He turned to look at her, and raised his eyebrow. “Yes?”

Mona gulped. It didn't help that he always looked like he just stepped out of a magazine cover. Must he look like this all the time? She wondered if he looked just as good when he woke up. No! Focus Mona! “Oppa... I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? For what?”

“Oppa please... I didn't mean to...”

“You stood me up Mona. And then I found out that you ditch me for Dari?” Simon said furiously.

“No! It wasn’t like that. I wanted to call but...”

“You wanted to call to tell me you went out with Dari?” He said incredulously.

“Dari oppa is...” Mona tried to say before she was cut off by him again.

“What? Not your boyfriend but someone special?” The hand holding the cup was trembling and Mona feared he might spill it over his shirt.

She tried again. “Oppa, I’m really sorry.”

Simon shook his head and huffed in frustration. “Sorry’s not good enough Mona.”

“I’ll... make it up to you.” Mona blurted out before she could stop herself. She smacked herself inwardly. This was it... This would be the first time and probably the last time she’ll ever do something like this...

Interested, Simon continued to focus his eyes on her. “How?”

Mona chewed on her bottom lip before replying. “Tonight. Why don’t you come by the house tonight? We can have dinner and then work on the project... or watch a movie, whatever you want.”

“Hmm... I’ll think about it.” Simon said before walking away.

Mona watched dejectedly as he disappeared around the corner. Well, that was it. She had done her best. She wasn’t sure what ‘I’ll think about it’ means. By the looks of it though, she strongly felt that it was a no. Way to go Mona! 



 

Chapter Posted on: Jun. 11. 2012

Next update is up! Ooooh! Simon is one jealous guy isn't  he? hahahaha... and Mona is so stupid isn't she? lol... i will explain about Dari in the later chapters, don't worry! anyways, hope you guys like this chapter! Please enjoy! I love everyone who has commented and subscribed~ Thanks guys! ^^